test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Afk rampage!!!

matrix0matrix0 Member Posts: 261 Arc User
Is it me or the afking has been greatly increase lately... especially in the breach. I encounter afkers 80% of the time I pug this instance. Sometimes, there were 2 afkers.

Devs: fix the afk problem asap please. It ruins the fun for everyone.

** before someone starts blabbing about private queuing... just remember... friends or fleet mates cant always be online. It's been freaking years since afk problem appeared and still no fix. STO is basically the heaven for afkers. Fix this problem first.

Can we just not pug with people that are on the ignore list like many other mmos out there?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ianluxorianluxor Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    matrix0 wrote: »
    Is it me or the afking has been greatly increase lately... especially in the breach. I encounter afkers 80% of the time I pug this instance. Sometimes, there were 2 afkers.

Devs: fix the afk problem asap please. It ruins the fun for everyone.

** before someone starts blabbing about private queuing... just remember... friends or fleet mates cant always be online. It's been freaking years since afk problem appeared and still no fix. STO is basically the heaven for afkers. Fix this problem first.

Can we just not pug with people that are on the ignore list like many other mmos out there?

- Report them
    - Join the well known Channels for STF's
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Disappointing, they didn't take long to work around the AFK countermeasures. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The leechers are a problem. If it was just bad players, ie not knowing their ships, or how to do the STF, I'd agree with the "don't pug it" statement. But leechers literally are a parasite, unfortunately, we just can't throw salt on them, lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,541 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I am not surprised at all to discover the AFK penalty is not working as intended. I never thought it would in the first place. It was intended as a sop to jolly us along so pwe/cryptic created the appearance of actually doing something.

But they're kinda hamstrung, here. After all, whether we like it or not, the AFKers are customers just like we are.

So, we as players might want to consider taking matters into our own hands, since pwe/cryptic either cannot or will not. It isn't easy, but nothing worthwhile ever comes without some sort of price.

The next time you're on a PUG with an AFKer, simply leave the instance. Without making a scene. Sure, somebody will earn the leaver penalty. What's an hour? Don't you have an alt to play for the next sixty minutes?

Think about it. The AFKer queues up, clicks on Accept, then settles back into the living room to watch reruns while four people do all the work. Imagine their surprise when they come back and no one but them is in there. Now they have to do it all over again.

Next, keep a log for yourself of the places where the AFKers are most likely to be. Stop playing these STFs or missions. I refuse to play Mine Trap because of all the AFK which has gone on there in the past. Would I like to play Mine Trap again someday? Yup. But damned if I'm gonna work my tail off so someone else can reap rewards they're not helping earn.

You have the option to pick and choose what parts of the game you play. You play this game to enjoy yourself. Is the frustration of doing a mission where someone is guaranteed to AFK really worth it? No it isn't. And if you're not playing some parts of the game, don't you think someone at pwe/cryptic notices? They may not publicly acknowledge the fact but they pay attention. Because the longer someone plays STO, the more likely they are to spend Real Money on it. So by not playing parts of the game due to AFK, we really are sending pwe/cryptic a message about this problem. They may not take action at the speed we'd like. But they will take action. Why? Because AFK does not just aggravate players, it causes them to not spend money on STO. No business can continue to survive by missing out on real and potential revenue.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    matrix0matrix0 Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    As far as The Breach is concerned, are you sure they're not just lost? Last night I got stuck in the freaking walls on that mission. TWICE! I was literally behind the surface textures, in between the gaps. I finally got out the first time, after being stuck for part of the first hangar and all of the second and the sub power room, and laughed and remarked that was a once in forever occurrence and I couldn't probably do that again if I tried. I spoke too soon. It happened again while I was trying to fly out after the main power core blew up!

I still don't find my way around inside that bloody ship very easily. It's not like the navigation is very straightforward. Maybe your AFKers are just lost.

Well, they sat at the start point until the end. If you got stuck in the wall, just relog or wait until the teammates clear the area and the option of moving on to the next stage will appear.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Disappointing, they didn't take long to work around the AFK countermeasures. :rolleyes:

people will always find a way to exploit anything they can. rules are meant to be broken for some. i wouldnt be surprised if a general afk'ers strike was setup, where hundreds or thousands of people join stf's and such just to take up space and demand sto shut down its latest and rather silly couter measure which never made much sense anyways.

like the ignore feature is too easily abused, so can the afk feature and people should of known better.

i had concerns about this feature on the tribble forum and on general twice before without comment.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    people will always find a way to exploit anything they can. rules are meant to be broken for some.

i had concerns about this feature on the tribble forum and on general twice before without comment.

Yep, we all saw this coming. I even caught them testing the boundries in one Public STF a few weeks ago.
    So, we as players might want to consider taking matters into our own hands, since pwe/cryptic either cannot or will not. It isn't easy, but nothing worthwhile ever comes without some sort of price.

That's why many wanted the Vote to Kick command. (/Sarcasm) But oooooh nooo, that would be a tool that would be exploited as well! :rolleyes:

We had the kick command in private teams since the beginning and never seen people complain about that being abused. And they expect people would abuse it in public queues? The only way that will happen is if the entire team ganged up on one innocent player, which is doubtful.

Wonder if Cryptic is finally getting the idea that's why people hate public queues now, because of these afkers.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    i say bring back the old stfs and queue up at vorn, qs and sibiran. since f2p has come, finding teams should be significantly easier to accomplish then before where it could of taken an hour or more to find a team.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    redsnake721redsnake721 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I never understood why the ignore feature wouldent work. You see an afk player. You put them on your ignore list and then you never get teamed with them again. In time the Afk abuser will have to wait hours to find a team.

To get around the typical "ignore someone's chat" and not being teamed with them, have two options. Ignore player communications/Ignore player. One stop's you from see the chat one stops everything. The latter means you will never be in the same PUG or instance with that person.
    This would also stop a lot of the Griefers from jumping all over players they dont like in social zones with fire extinguishers and all the other harrassment spam they use.

Other MMO's have it. If someone is bothering you or is cheating or making an TRIBBLE of themselves and generaly trying to spoil the gaming experence of others you can make it so you never have to see or interact with that person again. The code to implement such a feature is simple and will only increase load time a little. The server just has to bounce your ignore list off of the queued missions player list or the social zones instance player list.

Even now when you look at a social zones instance list it shows you if you have a Friend, teammate, or Fleet mates that are in that zone. So the programming is already there somewhat. Just add the ignore list to that and make it skip to the next instance. The only problem is if someone has a huge ignore list and is trying to meet up with someone and the two of you might have to jump around zones to find one thats free.

Thats why you would have two types of ignore. One to just block chat and one to block the player entirely.

But the overall best solution to this issue would be that if you incounter an AFX abuser and report him/her. The GM had the ability to review the logs and see if it was true. And if it was then that person gets a 3 day STF ban, Second offence 10 days, 3rd offence is account ban.
  • Options
    philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited December 2013
    The leechers are a problem. If it was just bad players, ie not knowing their ships, or how to do the STF, I'd agree with the "don't pug it" statement. But leechers literally are a parasite, unfortunately, we just can't throw salt on them, lol.

If I'm teaming with someone, I warn them about leechers I see via PM. That way we can either switch instances or choose to put up with the leechers. I used to avoid Defera Invasion Zone because I got tired of the leechers who'd run in (no matter what you were doing at the time), remod a turret, and then run off again, with a Borg entourage following them. If I didn't need anything from the Borg at the time, I just let the Borg wander after the leecher. Not my problem, and I won't do their dirty work for them. Time they either grew up or left STO entirely (sadly neither has happened ... yet).
  • Options
    lordinsanelordinsane Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    That's why many wanted the Vote to Kick command. (/Sarcasm) But oooooh nooo, that would be a tool that would be exploited as well! :rolleyes:

We had the kick command in private teams since the beginning and never seen people complain about that being abused. And they expect people would abuse it in public queues? The only way that will happen is if the entire team ganged up on one innocent player, which is doubtful.

Wonder if Cryptic is finally getting the idea that's why people hate public queues now, because of these afkers.
    I suppose the issue is that there'd be a temptation to use it on what earlnyghthawk refers to as bad players (not knowing their ship/how to do the STF). This would be a problem, since AFKing is for the most part a conscious choice, whereas the bad player things is not seldom a matter of experience (how are you going to learn how to do the STF if you never get the chance to play it?).
  • Options
    blakes7tvseriesblakes7tvseries Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    You need to gear up what if one or two people in your team drop due to connection issues.

What if some kids is told by his mom it's time for bed, I seen it in chat and happen.

The fact is you should be prepare to take up the slack and not let it ruin your day.

If this was a real space battle you could have ships disabled from the start.

One of our senior members in our fleet says...

Your not ready unless people want to be on your ship if it was for real.

I encourage you to take on that approach and be the ship people prefer to be on in a real space battle.
    download.jpg
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,059 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I have been noticing of late is players who get defeated (such as in Starbase 24) and not respawning so when there is any loot drops the player that has yet to respawn is first to grab the loot drop.

Either there should be a 5 sec timer put on respawning (if you fail to respawn within 5 seconds you are automatically removed), or the player who has yet to respawn, they should be locked out from claiming loot drops.
  • Options
    oldschooldorkoldschooldork Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    ianluxor wrote: »
    - Report them
    - Join the well known Channels for STF's

^^This. I've found the only people who are whining and crying about "cryptic needing to do something about this" are the ones who are too lazy and/or stupid to use the in game tools to avoid this. Do you need cryptic to do everything for you? Do you need them to play the game for you? Do you need them to come and cut your meat for you at dinner time? Maybe come and bring your pizza rolls to your basement for you? Maybe change your diapers for you too? And no, a vote kick system will not work. There have been people in other threads who have flat out stated they WILL vote kick people if they "didn't use the "right" ship", or "didn't use the "right" weapons". Dang people, either grow a pair and deal with it or use the tools in game. Makes me wonder what you are going to do when you grow up and get out in the real world and have to deal with people, or are you going to whine and cry for cryptic to "do something about the bad people".
    AGpDi8m.gif
    I don't care what the header says, I am not now, nor have I ever been, nor will I ever be, an "ARC user".
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    My approach: If someone hasn't moved from the start point within sixty seconds of the game starting, but is participating in loot drops, I PM them a profanity-laced warning to start participating in the game or I will report them. If they don't comply, I report them for being dicks and tell the rest of the instance to report them as well. If they whine at me for cussing, I report them even if they do start participating, because if you don't like to be cussed at then you shouldn't have done something that made people want to cuss at you.

Zero tolerance. That's the only way this stops.

Also, FYI, there's still several queues where the AFK penalty isn't actually in effect and IIRC Breach is one of them.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    starswordc wrote: »
    My approach: If someone hasn't moved from the start point within sixty seconds of the game starting, but is participating in loot drops, I PM them a profanity-laced warning to start participating in the game or I will report them. If they don't comply, I report them for being dicks and tell the rest of the instance to report them as well. If they whine at me for cussing, I report them even if they do start participating, because if you don't like to be cussed at then you shouldn't have done something that made people want to cuss at you.

Also, FYI, there's still several queues where the AFK penalty isn't actually in effect and IIRC Breach is one of them.

Where I agree with you in the majority, this however could ultimately backfire. They in turn may report you for using profanity. Where you may be in the right, they too have rights.

Actions however speak louder than words, instead of creating a situation that could lead to you yourself being on the receiving end of a GM's discipline, the best thing to do is excerise your right to report them silently and allow the GM's to take the appropriate action without causing yourself any grief.

Leave in the ingame conflict to the game content. In game conflict between players just creates an ugly enviroment for all.
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Breach is really bad for AFKers wot ive started doing is telling the team to report them to GM with the name of the mission time n date + your time zone. (e,g UK) I think it was branflakes that posted this advice.
    Dev give us vote to kick ur half hearted fix of AFKers does not work.
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    eazzie wrote: »
    Where I agree with you in the majority, this however could ultimately backfire. They in turn may report you for using profanity. Where you may be in the right, they too have rights.
    No, as far as I'm concerned they sacrificed their right to complain about my treatment of them when they woke up and decided they were going to be poor sports.
    valoreah wrote: »
    IMO it's not that the AFK penalty code doesn't work. It's that the 2 hour queue ban is too light a penalty for those who are abusing the system. First occurence should be 2 hour ban. Next should be 6 hours, then 24. Anything beyond 3 strikes within a 30 day time frame and the account should get locked/banned.
    This please. Penalty escalation would be an excellent way to dispose of the little rhymes-with-twits. I would add that the third offense and beyond deduct some sort of in-game fine (personal preference: they lose some amount from their in-game money, deducted from zen first, dil second, EC third).

Also, the AFK penalty needs to be applied to all PVE queues so the worthless turds have nowhere to hide.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    No, as far as I'm concerned they sacrificed their right to complain about my treatment of them when they woke up and decided they were going to be poor sports.

Be the bigger person, if they want to be poor sports then let them. Unleashing a tirade of abuse at them will solve nothing. At the end of the day many of these players do things to invoke reaction because they get some cheap thrill from it. Once they see they have got a reaction they are looking at their screen having a good laugh at you.

Also you have to bear in mind, other team members may just want to play and not be any part of anything, so by unleahing a tirade of abuse, you may also be offending them, so not only does the person you are using expleetives at have a right to in turn report you, other team members also have that right.

Being the bigger person and ignoring the poor sports players has a greater impact then addressing them directly, because once these players see they are not getting the reaction they are trying to invoke then they have wasted their time.

You have also got to consider. What if these players don't have their chat window visible. You have unleashed a tirade at them and they then don't see it. you have then just wasted your time on something that will never be seen.
    What goes around comes around.
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Funny story:

Few months ago, maybe a month after LoR had been released, I joined an ISE (with a fresh Romulan of course). Was me in a T'varo, 2 Feds, and a KDF, with another Romulan.

The 2 Feds, the KDF, and myself all started doing the mission, but the Romulan sat there cloaked.

The two Feds weren't terribly good, and we quickly lost the optional after a couple minutes. But we managed to keep it from totally going down the drain.

However, the other Romulan AFKing apparently was aware enough of the situation to start whining, moaning, etc in team chat. I wasted no time reporting him the first time of course, but he still kept going, and the line I remember the most is:

"I knew you guys were all the noobs the moment I warped in, that's why I'm not wasting my time with you."

He then proceeded to still complain even while we completed it just fine, no optional, but completed.

He still had to have the last word though:

"I put all you noobs on ignore, so I never have to play with you losers again."

And then he warped out after collecting his stuff.

(I ahh...adjusted his quotes to be forum-safe as well)

As annoying as he was back then, it is pretty amusing the gall that guy had to complain at teammates while he AFKed.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    mimey2 wrote: »
    Funny story:

Few months ago, maybe a month after LoR had been released, I joined an ISE (with a fresh Romulan of course). Was me in a T'varo, 2 Feds, and a KDF, with another Romulan.

The 2 Feds, the KDF, and myself all started doing the mission, but the Romulan sat there cloaked.

The two Feds weren't terribly good, and we quickly lost the optional after a couple minutes. But we managed to keep it from totally going down the drain.

However, the other Romulan AFKing apparently was aware enough of the situation to start whining, moaning, etc in team chat. I wasted no time reporting him the first time of course, but he still kept going, and the line I remember the most is:

"I knew you guys were all the noobs the moment I warped in, that's why I'm not wasting my time with you."

He then proceeded to still complain even while we completed it just fine, no optional, but completed.

He still had to have the last word though:

"I put all you noobs on ignore, so I never have to play with you losers again."

And then he warped out after collecting his stuff.

(I ahh...adjusted his quotes to be forum-safe as well)

As annoying as he was back then, it is pretty amusing the gall that guy had to complain at teammates while he AFKed.

ive meet this guy i think in breach he sat at the start point then thanked us all for the loot at the end wot a d!%k
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The problem of the AFK/Leech/Moocher isn't unique to STO, any MMO that has "free" rewards in group/multi player instances suffers from this.

Sadly there are really only two ways to deal with them, 1) remove the rewards for just being there and have them work to get their rewards. 2) remove the public queue and set them as private/fleet only and create a single player version for those players that can't get into the private/fleet queue.

One of the reasons I believe Cryptic removed the "daily" from the sphere was to stop the moochers, as it wouldn't be the first time I had taken the daily and 10 mark mission, and flown of to do the mission, only to find someone else kills the Voth/swarmers before I can even get a shot off, the kills added to their daily total but it meant I would have to run another mission to complete mine.

Take the battle zone, any time you "beam" into an instance you will find a lot of players in the command center, if you then check the map and find a few blue areas then you know those players are leeching, they are waiting on the handful of players in the zone to open the silos. What Cryptic should have done is set it so only players actively involved in capturing points, will get any rewards from capturing the silos.
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    My approach: If someone hasn't moved from the start point within sixty seconds of the game starting, but is participating in loot drops, I PM them a profanity-laced warning to start participating in the game or I will report them.

This is a really bad idea. I've seen people get banned from the game for several days for doing exactly this, while the person who was afk got off scott free.

I understand your feelings on this, but just warning you that it could end up hurting you far more then them.

(and really who wants that?):o
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    oschwoschw Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited December 2013

This please. Penalty escalation would be an excellent way to dispose of the little rhymes-with-twits. I would add that the third offense and beyond deduct some sort of in-game fine (personal preference: they lose some amount from their in-game money, deducted from zen first, dil second, EC third).

Also, the AFK penalty needs to be applied to all PVE queues so the worthless turds have nowhere to hide.

You cant deduct Zen from people, imagine you are taking the bus, and you do something, someone else does not like, now security comes in at the next stop, taking your money?

Nah, rather not sorry!

i would agree with escalating times on the banns from 2/4/6 hours to a 3 week Bann from the game as a whole, even taking EC, or retroactively taking away the loot from the mission in question would be finde, but dabbling with Real life cash spend, is not okay.
  • Options
    drakeerodrakeero Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited December 2013

The hilarious thing about this is up until this one post, I have never AFK'ed unless something happened (My elderly father falling over in the next room and needing my help outweighs any STF.) nor have I ever been tempted to AFK. After reading this post however, I am possessed, nay SEIZED with the burning desire to AFK STF's just so I can start reporting people for swearing like 12 year-olds on Xbawx.

As for other inane argument on just "being better", I've run an entire breach elite with only one other ship because 3 people just vanished. I've taken 4 people who have never done breach elite before and we managed to get a perfect score at the end. So yes I do that, and afk'ers usually don't bother me because I can generally pull the weight of 1-3 people depending on who's with me. However, this advice is still poor. Not everyone will be able to play the market, drop a little ESD on Zen, or happen to be around during the featured episode Lobi runs a little while back to outfit themselves with all the bestest and most shiniest gear. Most people actually have to play the game with stuff that is reasonably available to the average player. Therefore, if people actually want to start taking the idea of boycotting seriously, get vocal in team chat and I will honor the abort mission boycott to leave afk'ers staring blankly at an empty STF.
  • Options
    hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    drakeero wrote: »
    The hilarious thing about this is up until this one post, I have never AFK'ed unless something happened (My elderly father falling over in the next room and needing my help outweighs any STF.)

Still a lame excuse, no matter how many hundreds of variations on the theme are attempted. If "something happens," you can take the two seconds to log off first.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!