test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A thread abou JJ trek

floppytechiefloppytechie Member Posts: 136 Arc User
edited December 2013 in Ten Forward
So,one of my friends finally got me to watch Star Trek:Into Darkness (id been holding off as i had read the negative comments about it :D ) and i must say,its pretty good!
Just about the only thing that bothered me was that the Enterprise was defeated by a ship only 3 years more advanced.And seeing the Vengeance in action makes me want to buy the avenger.Overall:not bad.

thoughts?Rage posts?:rolleyes:
Proud owner of every ship with hangers ingame
Flagship - N.C.C.-99635-A U.S.S. Asterion

I support playable Typhoon class!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by floppytechie on

Comments

• Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,541 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I liked it as well.

If you're going to make a target out of yourself, OP, somebody ought to stand with you. Reckon I'll do until a real Star Trek fan happens along.

I volunteer as Tribute. Even though my last name isn't Everdeen . :D
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    geoff484geoff484 Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    *greased up hair, leather jacket, twirling a butterfly knife*

Well well well, what do we got here? A couple of JJ fans looking to rumble...

You must be either really brave or really stupid to come onto Nicholas Meyer's fan turf shoutin' that nonsense...

*snaps fingers to summon the rest of the trolls*
    banner_zpsowioz7sn.jpg
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It's typically the hardcore old trek fans that dispise the newer films. They can't accept change. I've been watching Trek for as long as I can remember, and I enjoy it all, for different reasons. People will pick apart the new films via inconsistencies and the like, but then I'd remind them of a bunch of inconsistencies within their beloved shows. :P

I just hope the third film (2016?) focuses (at least toward the end) on retelling the story of the Undiscovered Country. I want the film to start like Star Wars Ep 2; I want to see a couple of planets in the background, and then I want to zoom in on one of them and see a huge conflict between Federation and Klingon ships (a conflict of which includes another Constitution Class).

I know it wont happen, but I'd love to see the JJ style Klingons in STO, and I'd like to see their new Klingon Warbird more too. Lovely design.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    enjoyable movie, but not in the trek film tradition.

liked it aswell, watched it 2-3 times but don't really have a desire to buy it or whatever.

also, this is better suited for the "ten forward" section of this forum.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I liked it as well.

If you're going to make a target out of yourself, OP, somebody ought to stand with you. Reckon I'll do until a real Star Trek fan happens along.

I volunteer as Tribute. Even though my last name isn't Everdeen . :D

Just wanted to check if the JJ hate was still there:D
    anyway,it was not bad:P

To the incoming trolls and rage-ers :

"Good,good,let the b**t-hurt flow through you." -Darth Sidius :cool:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The Enterprise was defeated so easily partly due to the tech improvements thanks to Khaaaaaaaaaan! Partly to do with the size of the dreadnought, but mainly I think due to the dreadnought being a dedicated warship as opposed to all the rest of starfleets ships being multi-purpose.

I enjoyed the new films. I didn't find them to be all that good, but I did find them to be enjoyable, and that's the yardstick by which I measure films.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    geoff484 wrote: »
    *greased up hair, leather jacket, twirling a butterfly knife*

Well well well, what do we got here? A couple of JJ fans looking to rumble...

You must be either really brave or really stupid to come onto Nicholas Meyer's fan turf shoutin' that nonsense...

*snaps fingers to summon the rest of the trolls*

*In the best Paul Hogan as a Klingon impression I can do.*

"Wot? You lot call that a knoife? That's nawt a knoife."

*pulls bat'leth from over right shoulder*

Naow this, this is a knoife." :D
  • Options
    vawlkusvawlkus Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Neither of the two new movies are bad as movies, but they didn't do enough research into the lore for me to call it Star Trek. There are just too many errors and omissions.
  • Options
    latiasracerlatiasracer Member Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    vawlkus wrote: »
    Neither of the two new movies are bad as movies, but they didn't do enough research into the lore for me to call it Star Trek. There are just too many errors and omissions.

^ This.

And my main issue is that the Enterprise is armed with cannons! I mean, who uses single cannons !??!
    warp plasma can't melt neutronium beams
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I loved both films. They offer a refreshing perspective on the Star Trek universe.

That's right. I said it. Bring it on.
  • Options
    willdaviesalpha1willdaviesalpha1 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I don't actually recall the enterprise firing in ID at all! Not really a space battle scene, just a "Watch big nasty ship stomp on hero ship while being shocked by lens flares" scene.;)
  • Options
    tareruntaliontareruntalion Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    the two movies are fine especially the music which is beyond epic, seriously i am awed by the scenes where they show the enterprise with the enterprising young men soundtrack. to be honest i liked more the first with it's space scenes and the battle at the end, what i don't understand is why they have turned the enterprise in both movies into a punch bag, i mean it's the flagship give it some credit, let it kick TRIBBLE at seast once. anyways great heavy sci fi action films especially the action cause in my opinion these two films have more action than the entire franchise combined. really waiting for the next one
  • Options
    shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I enjoyed Into Darkness as an action film... and I'm one of those unreconstructed TOS fans who are bad with change...

I did have problems with it, though, and they're nothing to do with it being different from Original Trek... more to do with the plot doesn't work. Seriously. Explain to me what Khan's plan is, or what Marcus's plan is... and then explain how the things they do help them achieve their goals. Their actions just don't make any kind of sense... and I'm afraid I'm not the kind of viewer who checks his brain at the door when watching movies. Just don't seem to be able to ease it out of my skull, I'm afraid.

Now, you could say the same thing about a lot of "original" Trek stuff - that the plots don't work - and, in fact, I do. And some of them are a lot more obviously absurd than Into Darkness, too. But, overall, my opinion remains: it was a fun action movie, but it had a lot wrong with it.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    STID would've been alright if John Harrison wasn't a last-minute writing change to Khan Noonien Singh. That Harrison was instead the result of a Section 31 augment program, created to combat the increasing threat of war with the Klingons, that they lost control of. He had plans to hijack the Vengeance with his fellow augments and continue what Khan and others of his kind started long ago; to rule over humanity and eventually purify the entire race through genetic engineering.

Or better yet, an entirely original plot unrelated to anything Star Trek had already done. :P
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited December 2013

I agree, and i'd like to add my two cents on the subject; As films in their own right, not bad.

Into Darkness was uninspired though. I had hoped for Abrams second film to have been a little more than what amounts to a semi-rehash of Star Trek II. And i'd have dumped that god-awful ruination that was Zach Quinto having to emulate William Shatner.

It was such a good scene and then they ruined it! All for fanservice! GAAAH.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    shevet wrote: »
    I did have problems with it, though, and they're nothing to do with it being different from Original Trek... more to do with the plot doesn't work. Seriously. Explain to me what Khan's plan is, or what Marcus's plan is... and then explain how the things they do help them achieve their goals.

This. The first JJTrek wasn't bad, but Into Darkness felt like it was done by a half-dozen John Woo wannabes each loaded on enough cocaine to put their heart rates at Warp 17. And that's just taking it "as a movie," before the rot that was "Mirror Universe Wrath of Khan" made it even worse. While the word makes me want to heave anyway, Into Darkness really showed just how horribly wrong "reimagined" can go.

Maybe they could produce a fitting follow-up to Into Darkness with "Spock's Brain: The Reimagined Motion Picture." :P
  • Options
    fenr00kfenr00k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    coupaholic wrote: »
    I loved both films. They offer a refreshing perspective on the Star Trek universe.

That's right. I said it. Bring it on.

Throwing my lot in with you folks, preferred the JJ films to the original or next gen films. They breathed new life into what otherwise to most of the world was a rotting cadaver.

As to Trek having some sort of mysterious "this is Trek" thing going, EVERY series was different, heck go back to TOS and pretty near every EPISODE was different. It's just a certain core of fans who seem to think Trek was one thing and one thing alone.

As to not following old Trek Lore, news flash, it's an alternate universe, it doesn't have to follow the same lore. JJ Trek doesn't follow TOS even, it comes BEFORE TOS but down a different leg of the trousers of time. At most it would have to follow on from Enterprise, but then lots of the "Trek core" don't consider Enterprise Trek either. :P

I'm over 6 feet tall and kind of big. Bring it. :P Shish, this is getting more West Side Story than Star Trek. Let me say now, I am NOT doing a song and dance number...
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    fenr00k wrote: »
    different, heck go back to TOS and pretty near every EPISODE was different. It's just a certain core of fans who seem to think Trek was one thing and one thing alone.
    And I've noticed that the aforementioned certain core of fans are never exactly in agreement as to what the aforementioned one thing actually is. :D

For me, the JJverse are good sci-fi action flicks and okay Star Trek films, but they lean a little too heavily on the action side to be really great ST films. In the past I've explained the difference between a Foundry farm mission with story justification and an actual story mission as, the one uses a story as an excuse for violence, while the other uses violence as a storytelling element. The difference between TV trek and the JJverse isn't that pronounced but it's the same basic idea. (Nemesis had that problem, too, incidentally.)

JJ also made one of the same mistakes the Enterprise writers did: Just like ENT tried too hard to convince us it was still Trek without the Federation, He tried too hard to convince us that it was still Trek even though it didn't follow the Prime Universe storylines to the letter, resulting in way too many contrived coincidences. And he's got even less of a sense of scale than Star Trek usually does.

I also don't agree with JJ's insistence that Starfleet isn't a military (my reasoning), but that's a debate that goes straight to the heart of the fanbase.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    ...I'm over 6 feet tall and kind of big. Bring it. :P Shish, this is getting more West Side Story than Star Trek. Let me say now, I am NOT doing a song and dance number...
    Dibs on the Natalie Wood part! "When you're a Trekkie, you're always a Trekkie..." "Uhura! I just met a girl named Uhura!" Hmmm....Doesn't quite fit, does it? :D

On to new business...

I think sometimes every single one of us Star Trek fans want to be the sole and above all final arbiter of the final word on what is and isn't, ahem, 'Real' Star Trek. We then proceed to look down our hipster noses at someone whose viewpoint differs by a ridiculously tiny amount from ours.

We next proceed to overuse excess and hyperbole to ruthlessly slash each other to bits and to confirm to the audience we're all playing to how theologically Simon Pure our own viewpoint is. Think about how incredibly asanine the countless over-the-top statements which 'prove' we hates the JJTrek fo-evah that are posted all throughout these forums make all of us Star Trek fans look to people who do not like Star Trek at all.

Face it, whenever the topic of JJTrek comes up, either pro or con, our public little hipster b****slap lover's spats make an awful good show for the folks on the other side of of the glass don't they?

As someone who doesn't normally channel Gene, I cannot help but wonder if he isn't terribly ashamed and embarrassed by the whole lot of us.
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    *In the best Paul Hogan as a Klingon impression I can do.*

"Wot? You lot call that a knoife? That's nawt a knoife."

*pulls bat'leth from over right shoulder*

Naow this, this is a knoife." :D

*A Federation Cruiser warps into the system*

Comms Officer: Sir, we have an incoming hail. Priority One, across all channels. Playing it now.

Computer: Message One: *The sounds of bottles klinking together* JJ faaaaaaans, come out to plaaaay.....JJ Faaaaaaaaaaans, Come out to plaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited December 2013

I chalk this up to JJ deliberately pissing off the nerds. Just like how the writers in TNG made fun of their audience in little snide ways.

I liked the first film and the first 1/2 to 3/4 of the second film. They are what they are retro 60's nostalgia films like the scooby doo movie, the lost in space movie etc and for that they stack up a lot better. The characters are fun. I like the funny banter. They have the kind of fun dialog the old Star wars films had and the prequel films lack.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    They breathed new life into what otherwise to most of the world was a rotting cadaver.

JJ Abrams: the new millenium's Victor Frankenstein. :P
  • Options
    gaalomgaalom Member Posts: 530 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Just going to say I think JJ should rot in hell for what he did to star trek. For the record my problem with the new films was not the movies, but rather the fact that a director destroyed a great scifi to jump start his career. Meaning my main problem with the new films was destroying Romulous. Whoever was in charge of overseeing and approving that movie should have never let that happen. Other then that I really did not get too upset over the films
  • Options
    hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    gonalius wrote: »
    The Enterprise was defeated so easily partly due to the tech improvements thanks to Khaaaaaaaaaan! Partly to do with the size of the dreadnought, but mainly I think due to the dreadnought being a dedicated warship as opposed to all the rest of starfleets ships being multi-purpose.

Well that and the fact that the Enterprise is a cruiser or heavy cruiser and the Vengeance was a Dreadnought so it would kind of be like a destroyer vs a battleship which wouldn't go well for the destroyer.
    starswordc wrote: »
    Just like ENT tried too hard to convince us it was still Trek without the Federation, He tried too hard to convince us that it was still Trek even though it didn't follow the Prime Universe storylines to the letter,

But Star Trek doesn't need to follow the Prime Universe storylines to the letter to be Star Trek its just minutia. TOS got along fine without needing everything before already plotted out and did fine just making it up as it went along.

Heck it even contradicted itself more than once.
    gaalom wrote: »
    Just going to say I think JJ should rot in hell for what he did to star trek. For the record my problem with the new films was not the movies, but rather the fact that a director destroyed a great scifi to jump start his career. Meaning my main problem with the new films was destroying Romulous. Whoever was in charge of overseeing and approving that movie should have never let that happen. Other then that I really did not get too upset over the films

So your big problem is that in a movie based on a series where planets and their billions of inhabitants were destroyed frequently that they decided to do it to a planet people actually care about this time?
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Throwing my lot in with you folks, preferred the JJ films to the original or next gen films. They breathed new life into what otherwise to most of the world was a rotting cadaver.

This. People seem to forget that Nemesis and Enterprise had pretty much killed the franchise. Star Trek, for all intents and purposes, was dead. These new movies have brought the franchise back and have brought in new fans to boot.

That said, I immensely enjoyed both films and I'm looking forward to the third one.
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    until i see a new TV show theses movie where nothing more than one hit wonders to never be expanded upon the third movie after its done
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    until i see a new TV show theses movie where nothing more than one hit wonders to never be expanded upon the third movie after its done

I think you got a point here. As long as they don't continue it and produce a series, those two (three) movies will only delay Star Treks death.

Don't get me wrong i really liked the new movies in spite of all thier faults. (other Trek movies had their own faults too.)
    JJ Abrams created some entertaining and fun to watch Star Trek movies, something i haven't seen since ST VI tbh.
    They really should start making a series in that new reality, better sooner than later. Maybe telling new stories of another ship, if the Movie cast is too expensive.
    But in no case they should miss that chance and let Trek die (again).

I think returning to the old (main) timeline would only create a lot of confusion amongst the common (non hardcore trek fan) audience.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    hartzilla wrote: »
    But Star Trek doesn't need to follow the Prime Universe storylines to the letter to be Star Trek its just minutia. TOS got along fine without needing everything before already plotted out and did fine just making it up as it went along.

TOS has the benefit that it was the FIRST Star Trek TV show, and I'm pretty damn sure that when it was being made, they did not foresee an IP that spans the decades after the original series has run its course. Hell, TV shows then and now are often wondering if they'll get a 2nd season.

OF COURSE IT MADE THINGS UP AS IT WENT ALONG.

American TV shows generally do not have a previously written storyline to run, from beginning to a defined ending. They make stuff up as they go along! They did so then, and they damn well do so now.

It did not have to fit into pre-existing storylines. It did not have to take into account canon, because it WAS making its own history.

Worrying about all that when you dive into any existing IP is part of it all. When you go completely against something that is previously established in a much loved IP, be ready for some flack.

In regards to the JJ Trek, I absolutely feel that if JJ Abrams did not use well known characters with ALOT of damn history, if he did not try to rehash previous movies with monkey miming, we wouldn't be having this debate about what's wrong with JJ Trek all over the place.

If he actually made his own and unique contribution to Star Trek, with original characters, original settings, etc., then he would have had a whole lot more leeway from the Star Trek fanbase. If he did not try to remake characters and their histories that have 4 years of TV seasons, 6 full-fledged movies, and much adored by the fanbase, we would not be having this discussion.

If JJ Abrams made his own unique contribution to Star Trek, PERIOD, then we would not be having this discussion.

But since he insisted on trying to have his take on characters like Kirk, Spock, McCoy, etc, and not only that, poorly mimic previous TV show and movie elements, then he himself set to walk on broken glass with bare feet.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    yreodred wrote: »

I think returning to the old (main) timeline would only create a lot of confusion amongst the common (non hardcore trek fan) audience.

Not only that,with STO currently leading the prime universe storyline,creating a series on the original timeline would mean for them to accept the STO version and would tie up the two irrevocably.Just imagine,Cryptic has a new ship for the Klingons but cant release it as CBS will use it in an episode after some months!
    Better to go off with the alternate timeline.

The only thing JJ royally screwed up was ships shooting each other in subspace(the Vengeance did it on the enterprise).Its supposed to create subspace ripples,the very basis of YOUR storyline dammit!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I for one enjoyed the new movies.

What I do not understand is why especially the hard-core trekkies hate them. To dislike them, ok, no problemo. I disliked how Voyager and Enterprise ended their series. I do not hate them.

Now why is it odd that especially the hard-core trekkies HATE the Abramsverse? If there is one thing that Star Trek is trying to teach us it is that diversity isn't a bad thing. They taught us to embrace new things, not reject them for continuing on something old. They were about accepting differences. Any real hard-core trekkie knows this and should have these values. Yet they oppose the Abramsverse with one of the most common reasons: because its different.

Like I said, if you don't like the new movies because the stories aren't your thing, thats ok. If you don't like the characters, thats ok. If you aren't particulary fond of the special effects, thats ok. But to dislike, and even hate, the Abramsverse simply because it is different than the other series, that only shows me one thing: you failed to learn the most important lesson ever from Star Trek.

Those people, that call themselves trekkies, should really rewatch all of the other series. And then, with this moral code embedded in your mind, watch XI and XII. You'll find them pretty good movies. Not as excellent as some of the other movies (TWOK, UC, FC), but a lot better than TMP and TFF. (those are short for movies).

*Interrupted by Ops officer*
    Captain, based on my calculations there is a 95% chance of haters preparing to open fire.

Very well then, prepare for an immediate transwarp to REDACTED.