What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A thread abou JJ trek

2»

Comments

• steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited December 2013
    fenr00k wrote: »
    I'm over 6 feet tall and kind of big. Bring it. :P Shish, this is getting more West Side Story than Star Trek. Let me say now, I am NOT doing a song and dance number...

Boy, boy, crazy boy... :D
    Dibs on the Natalie Wood part! "When you're a Trekkie, you're always a Trekkie..." "Uhura! I just met a girl named Uhura!" Hmmm....Doesn't quite fit, does it? :D

That's 'cause you're saying "Uhura", her last name. "Nyota" fits better. And I would probably pay good cash to see the comic absurdism that would be Zachery Quinto, as Spock, singing "Nyota" to the tune of "Maria".

"When you're with JJ, you're with JJ all the way, from your first wrecked Corvette, to your first dying day...."
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    One thing

Magic blood

That's all
    JtaDmwW.png
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2013
    At least they weren't 'Insurrection' or 'Final Frontier'.

Sure they had problems but so did all other Trek at times hell even DS9, TWOK, and TUC weren't prefect.

But nerds are blind to the faults of the others simply because they grew up with them.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    J.J. seems to have a boner for showing the Enterprise rising up, out of stuff. Be it an ocean, a cloud deck, or a nebula. In two movies he's shown this three times.

ive thought this myself
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • sparcehvsparcehv Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Well, I like the JJ`s 2009 film. Although not completely logical, like why does Nero hold grudges against the Federation and Spock, but I liked it as Trek and as movie. I`ve watched it 4 or 5 times. But then came STID, which is awful both Trek and as movie. The story is lame and to far fetched. Bad shooting locations, and numerous stupid things like; why is the Enterprise submerged, why save that planet, why steel some paper to throw it back later? Starfleet HQ--> Why the F*** in a normal glass office building. Starfleet should have it`s own park like Starfleet Academy where the top is having meetings in a building like the Pentagon. And then the shootingscene in the building.. What is this, The Matrix? Then the stupid blood thing and furthermore a BLACK SHIP??? If it`s space, don`t make it black!
    And then the awful replay of Spock with Kirk at the Warp Core, which looked like something from the movie event horizon. (the hangar bay also btw). And then the end, well let`s crash land a space ship in an urban terrain, and then hand to hand combat on flying "cars" of somekind. Where did I, or better, where did I did`not see that before.
    In my opinion, STID took to much scenes from other movies, but executed it badly. The villain doesn`t do it fo me, and the thing that makes Trek is whipped overboard as it maybe contained to much ballast. All in all, I`d give it a 2 on a scale to 10.
    Captain of the federation starship U.S.S. Iridium.

In the end.... we`re all Ferengi!
  • floppytechiefloppytechie Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    sparcehv wrote: »
    Well, I like the JJ`s 2009 film. Although not completely logical, like why does Nero hold grudges against the Federation and Spock, but I liked it as Trek and as movie. I`ve watched it 4 or 5 times. But then came STID, which is awful both Trek and as movfie. The story is lame and to far fetched. Bad shooting locations, and numerous stupid things like; why is the Enterprise submerged, why save that planet, why steel some paper to throw it back later? Starfleet HQ--> Why the F*** in a normal glass office building. Starfleet should have it`s own park like Starfleet Academy where the top is having meetings in a building like the Pentagon. And then the shootingscene in the building.. What is this, The Matrix? Then the stupid blood thing and furthermore a BLACK SHIP??? If it`s space, don`t make it black!
    And then the awful replay of Spock with Kirk at the Warp Core, which looked like something from the movie event horizon. (the hangar bay also btw). And then the end, well let`s crash land a space ship in an urban terrain, and then hand to hand combat on flying "cars" of somekind. Where did I, or better, where did I did`not see that before.
    In my opinion, STID took to much scenes from other movies, but executed it badly. The villain doesn`t do it fo me, and the thing that makes Trek is whipped overboard as it maybe contained to much ballast. All in all, I`d give it a 2 on a scale to 10.

Valid points but you could say that about the last movie of matrix(forgot name) too.How does Neo start diabling robots in real life?How does smith take over the matrix when he is an agent of the matrix?I mean come on,anyone with a little programming skills know about global access priviledge and local access priviledge.Also how does neo fly blind?

Actually,this incongruities crop up in almost any franchise that runs long enough.But if you leave your brain behind the door when watching,it is actually pretty fun.Also kirk telling the security officers to "lose the redshirts" and they still dying was pretty hilarious.:D
    Proud owner of every ship with hangers ingame
    Flagship - N.C.C.-99635-A U.S.S. Asterion

I support playable Typhoon class!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2013
    i would like to add them using a communicator on the enemy ship from sol system can some how make contact with someone on planet Qo'noS oh and no one on the enemy ship dont detected it i mean come on

and some was not paying attention to all 3 Matrix movies
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    One thing

Magic blood

That's all

*Looks at Q*

Stranger things have happened.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    flash525 wrote: »
    It's typically the hardcore old trek fans that dispise the newer films. They can't accept change. I've been watching Trek for as long as I can remember, and I enjoy it all, for different reasons. People will pick apart the new films via inconsistencies and the like, but then I'd remind them of a bunch of inconsistencies within their beloved shows. :P

I just hope the third film (2016?) focuses (at least toward the end) on retelling the story of the Undiscovered Country. I want the film to start like Star Wars Ep 2; I want to see a couple of planets in the background, and then I want to zoom in on one of them and see a huge conflict between Federation and Klingon ships (a conflict of which includes another Constitution Class).

I know it wont happen, but I'd love to see the JJ style Klingons in STO, and I'd like to see their new Klingon Warbird more too. Lovely design.

Um, I've been a fan and watching Star Trek first run since 1969, and I LOVE both JJ films to date. IMO - they really do recapture the basic characters and adventurous spirit that was a BIG part of the ORIGINAL Star Trek series (1966-1969)

The only fans I've found who really dislike the films are hard core TNG era fans who think Star Trek is all about being politically correct, never having personal inter-crew conflict, and calmly discussing everything at a conference table. IE - Most of them either never really watched what these films were based on (the TOS TV series); or never really liked TOS, and think the TNG era is 'Star Trek', and TOS is anachronistic, and are somehow hoping these new TOS era film would include TNG era sensibilities. (There's also the group that feel only Shatner/Nimoy, et al. should/could play these characters properly and can
    t/don't enjoy seeing new actors in the roles; updated ship sets that are very different from what was seen in TOS, etc.)

Also, not saying anyone's opinions about the films are 'wrong' as it's ALL subjective where any entertainment is concerned; but just want to state that from what I've seen it's more 'Hardcore TNG' fans that have problems even accepting the JJ films.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Um, I've been a fan and watching Star Trek first run since 1969, and I LOVE both JJ films to date. IMO - they really do recapture the basic characters and adventurous spirit that was a BIG part of the ORIGINAL Star Trek series (1966-1969)

The only fans I've found who really dislike the films are hard core TNG era fans who think Star Trek is all about being politically correct, never having personal inter-crew conflict, and calmly discussing everything at a conference table. IE - Most of them either never really watched what these films were based on (the TOS TV series); or never really liked TOS, and think the TNG era is 'Star Trek', and TOS is anachronistic, and are somehow hoping these new TOS era film would include TNG era sensibilities. (There's also the group that feel only Shatner/Nimoy, et al. should/could play these characters properly and can
    t/don't enjoy seeing new actors in the roles; updated ship sets that are very different from what was seen in TOS, etc.)

Also, not saying anyone's opinions about the films are 'wrong' as it's ALL subjective where any entertainment is concerned; but just want to state that from what I've seen it's more 'Hardcore TNG' fans that have problems even accepting the JJ films.

I would just like to say that I'm a hardcore TNG-era fan and I enjoy both TOS and the new JJ films. IMO, the people who hate the new films are just ST fans who can't/won't accept something new and different.

I mean, you guys do realise that it's fiction right? There's no need to get too obsessive over it. I mean, I personally enjoyed The Final Frontier, and Insurrection is my third favourite ST film (after The Undiscovered Country and Generations).

Also, I'd like to point out the irony how when ST:2009 came out, everyone complained it was nothing like the original Trek, so Abrams gave them a movie closer to Trek and now everyone's complaining that it's too much like Trek! He can't win! :rolleyes:
  • sparcehvsparcehv Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Well, I`m an open mind and like movies. Therefore the 2009 versions was good IMHO and a proper reboot of the franchise. I like (love perhaps) all trek series. Trek for me is about adventure, sailing into the unknown although carefully steering it within set boundaries and truly go boldly if you know what I mean. The 2009 movie did that perfectly in my eyes. But STID threw it all away and did something I really dislike; They`ve made it more like Star Wars. (Which I also think is very good within it`s own franchise). But do not shoot Trek like Star Wars. And trying to lure people with old replayed scenes from earlier trek movies don`t trick me for saying this was a true Star Trek movie. If the franchise is to succeed, they move on, not look back and try to be something it can`t be! It should be new, new stories, some new aliens and a federation with Romulans and Vulcans united again to cope with the klingon threat so we yet again go where no Trek has gone before. *amen* ;-)
    Captain of the federation starship U.S.S. Iridium.

In the end.... we`re all Ferengi!
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    One thing

Magic blood

That's all

I know that was so stupid, I mean what a bunch of morons usingng magic blood to bring back the dead, I can't believe how stupid and short sighted they were for doing it....I mean and to bring him back to life, why couldn't he stay dead, he's so stupid, and annyoining, they should have left him dead. Now that they can cure death, you would think they use it again and again.

This is why I hate Voyger and usingng magic blood to bring back Neelix!!!!!

Oh we were talkining about JJ Trek?

My bad, awesome movie
    GwaoHAD.png
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    This is why I hate Voyger and usingng magic blood to bring back Neelix!!!!!

But weren't Borg nanoprobes used to bring him back to life? I guess you could say that Borg nanoprobes is Seven of Nine's magic blood... :P
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I have no issue with JJ trek and think its a good rebirth of the old IP.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    flash525 wrote: »
    It's typically the hardcore old trek fans that dispise the newer films. They can't accept change. I've been watching Trek for as long as I can remember, and I enjoy it all, for different reasons. People will pick apart the new films via inconsistencies and the like, but then I'd remind them of a bunch of inconsistencies within their beloved shows. :P

I just hope the third film (2016?) focuses (at least toward the end) on retelling the story of the Undiscovered Country. I want the film to start like Star Wars Ep 2; I want to see a couple of planets in the background, and then I want to zoom in on one of them and see a huge conflict between Federation and Klingon ships (a conflict of which includes another Constitution Class).

I know it wont happen, but I'd love to see the JJ style Klingons in STO, and I'd like to see their new Klingon Warbird more too. Lovely design.

it was the fact that vulcan was destroyed for no apparent reason to the alternate reality, or khan killing off millions of innocent people by crashing a ship on earth without a thought to his own goals and ideas and then there is this TRIBBLE about kids with no experience becoming starship captains and officers. the most absurd thing was near the end of darkness, a vulcan crying and screaming khan because his friend died.

say what you will about inconsistencies, but these were damn right terrible plot holes that made trek look worse. no thank you. Khan had more honor then to kill many innocent people just because he could, cadets would never get control of a starship by themselves ordinarily and that vulcans dont shed emotions not unless there was something seriously wrong under the hood. these things just dont happen in trek and thats the way it is.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited December 2013
    it was the fact that vulcan was destroyed for no apparent reason to the alternate reality, or khan killing off millions of innocent people by crashing a ship on earth without a thought to his own goals and ideas and then there is this TRIBBLE about kids with no experience becoming starship captains and officers. the most absurd thing was near the end of darkness, a vulcan crying and screaming khan because his friend died.

say what you will about inconsistencies, but these were damn right terrible plot holes that made trek look worse. no thank you. Khan had more honor then to kill many innocent people just because he could, cadets would never get control of a starship by themselves ordinarily and that vulcans dont shed emotions not unless there was something seriously wrong under the hood. these things just dont happen in trek and thats the way it is.

RE: Destruction of Vulcan:
    Yep, a Romulan Captain, driven insane by grief is going to act rationally and not do something that in his eyes repays the person who promised, but failed to save his homeworld (Romulus), to make him experience the exact same emotions. <--- Didn't have an issue with it.

RE: Khan:
    Remember who you're talking about: Khan Noonian Singh who (in both Star Trek realities) from 1992 to 1996 conquered and ruled one third of the Earth, and enslaved and lkilled millions to do so. When he and the other augments were finally overthrown, he launched himself into deep space to escape punishment. Is this the character you're claiming
    had more honor then to kill many innocent people just because he could
    Seriously, did you actual.ly ever the TOS episode "Space Seed" or the featture film "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan"?

RE: Cadets getting/being given full command of a Federation starship:
    It would never happen, eh? You may want to go watch the DS9 episode: "Valiant"
    It's Plot Summary (from Wikipedia): (link)
    While en route to Ferenginar in a runabout, Jake Sisko and Ensign Nog are attacked by a Jem'Hadar vessel, but are rescued by the USS Valiant, a Defiant-class starship. Jake and Nog find that the crew are all young members of the Red Squad, the brightest Starfleet cadets, originally part of a more experienced crew that was on a training mission to circumnavigate the Federation prior to the all-out war. However, the Valiant suffered heavy losses including all of the experienced crew, and the late Captain transferred command to now-acting Captain Tim Watters. Watters has continued to follow their last directive without any further orders from Starfleet, and has recently learned of a new Dominion battle cruiser. Nog is quickly integrated into Red Squad and the ship's engineering staff with his knowledge of the Defiant warp system, but Jake is seen as an outsider. When Jake attempts to talk to Chief Collins about her personal life, she breaks down emotionally, and Watters orders Jake not to talk to her further.
    Watters reveals that they have located the battle cruiser and orders the ship to approach it, raising the crew's morale to levels Jake fears are irrational. Jake believes that Watters is actually on a suicide mission, warning Nog and Collins of the danger. Watters learns of this, and has Jake thrown in the brig. The crew of the Valiant is able to successfully scan the battle cruiser and discover a possible weak point. Watters orders the crew to attack the vessel, but they find they have made a major miscalculation as the vessel remains undamaged. The Valiant is assaulted by the battle cruiser's weapons, critically damaging the ship and killing much of the remaining crew. Nog grabs Collins and frees Jake, and then departs with them on an escape pod before the Valiant explodes. The three are eventually rescued by the Defiant, learning they are the sole survivors and leaving them emotionally scarred from the trauma. Despite pleas from Collins that Watters was a great man, Nog states that he "may have been a hero and a great man, in the end, he was a bad Captain."

So, again, you may not like STiD, and that's fine. But your claim it somehow makes the Star Trek franchise 'look bad' because some of the characters are cast in a different/bad light then in other Star Trek incarnations (they're honestly not though); or that a situation in which Cadets are shown being quickly promoted and given full command of a Starship has/would never happen in any real incarnation of 'Star Trek' (when in fact it has) isn't really backed up by actual facts from previous Star Trek incarnations.
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    the most absurd thing was near the end of darkness, a vulcan crying and screaming khan because his friend died.

Since the other guy covered everything else quite adequately, I'll cover this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5pocMUIWwU

Honestly, people, he's half-human. He slips occasionally.
    edited December 2013
    While en route to Ferenginar in a runabout, Jake Sisko and Ensign Nog are attacked by a Jem'Hadar vessel, but are rescued by the USS Valiant, a Defiant-class starship. Jake and Nog find that the crew are all young members of the Red Squad, the brightest Starfleet cadets, originally part of a more experienced crew that was on a training mission to circumnavigate the Federation prior to the all-out war. However, the Valiant suffered heavy losses including all of the experienced crew, and the late Captain transferred command to now-acting Captain Tim Watters
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited December 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    While en route to Ferenginar in a runabout, Jake Sisko and Ensign Nog are attacked by a Jem'Hadar vessel, but are rescued by the USS Valiant, a Defiant-class starship. Jake and Nog find that the crew are all young members of the Red Squad, the brightest Starfleet cadets, originally part of a more experienced crew that was on a training mission to circumnavigate the Federation prior to the all-out war. However, the Valiant suffered heavy losses including all of the experienced crew, and the late Captain transferred command to now-acting Captain Tim Watters

Yep, and in Star Trek 2009 - the 1701 Enterprise started out under the Command of Christopher Pike, who, during the encounter with the 24th Century Romulan ship, turned command over to Mr. Spock, who was subsequently relieved of command by Captain James T. Kirk - who eventually saved the planet Earth, and as a result was promoted by Star Fleet.
    ^^^
    Pretty similar situation.

STiD starts out with Kirk still in command, but in the end, he screwed up BIG TIME. Said TRIBBLE up was detailed by Mr. Spock in a report to Admiral Pike, who passed it on up the chain. In the end, the commanding Admiral of Starfleet decided to remove Kirk from command and give the ship back to Pike. Pike then convinced Starfleet command to allow Kirk to be his first officer. Pike is then killed during the attack on Starfleet command and the ONLY reason Kirk is re-granted command is that the Admiral plans to use Kirk and the Enterprise in a plot to start a Federation/Klingon war, place the blame squarely on Kirk's actions (with evidence from his past actions showing his predilection for ignoring standard Starfleet procedures, rules, and protocols); and either putting him up for a full court-martial, or, if the Admiral has the opportunity; killing Kirk and Co. to make sure by some off chance, the true mastermind of this whole situation doesn't come to light.

Again, given what we've seen in past Star Trek incarnations with the DS9 episodes, "Homefront" and "Paradise Lost" - the above situation is not a new storyline in the Star Trek franchise; or unique to the JJ Abrams' Star Trek films.
  • mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »

You know, that sounds suspiciously like something I've played before.... could it be the new Federation Tutorial? :D
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    mikoto8472 wrote: »
    You know, that sounds suspiciously like something I've played before.... could it be the new Federation Tutorial? :D

I made that exact comparison when it launched. :D
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    edited December 2013
    RE: Destruction of Vulcan:
    Yep, a Romulan Captain, driven insane by grief is going to act rationally and not do something that in his eyes repays the person who promised, but failed to save his homeworld (Romulus), to make him experience the exact same emotions. <--- Didn't have an issue with it.

RE: Khan:
    Remember who you're talking about: Khan Noonian Singh who (in both Star Trek realities) from 1992 to 1996 conquered and ruled one third of the Earth, and enslaved and lkilled millions to do so. When he and the other augments were finally overthrown, he launched himself into deep space to escape punishment. Is this the character you're claiming

Seriously, did you actual.ly ever the TOS episode "Space Seed" or the featture film "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan"?

RE: Cadets getting/being given full command of a Federation starship:
    It would never happen, eh? You may want to go watch the DS9 episode: "Valiant"
    It's Plot Summary (from Wikipedia): (link)

So, again, you may not like STiD, and that's fine. But your claim it somehow makes the Star Trek franchise 'look bad' because some of the characters are cast in a different/bad light then in other Star Trek incarnations (they're honestly not though); or that a situation in which Cadets are shown being quickly promoted and given full command of a Starship has/would never happen in any real incarnation of 'Star Trek' (when in fact it has) isn't really backed up by actual facts from previous Star Trek incarnations.

vulcan:
    what was the point? other people didnt know the intentions or the reason, to them why vulcan was destroyed was a brutal and unprovoked attack and genocide of a race. to nero it was a failed attempt to try goad a vulcan into being sad? your kidding right? vulcans learn to purge their emotions.

khan:
    from the way he was shown on TWoK, he was shown to be calculated but he also had a code of honor he followed. the Eugenics war never made any sense and was never explained in detail or seen, i can not say what that was about so i dont even know that was real or a made up story to give khan this appearance of death.

cadets and command:
    cadets would never command? i put the word "ordinarily" in the sentence. the only time you saw a crew of cadets get command was the valiant and since i consider jjcrapverse noncanon that bit dont apply, every other time you saw commissioned officers leading their ships. so a strange situation but that would classify and being unusal.
    just for arguement sake anyways with jjcrap films, you saw time and time again how the new enterprise crew of cadets messed up time and time again proving the point that they would never ordinarily get command of a ship without some experience. i mean a senior officer would never attack another senior officer just out of hate because if a crew can not function as a team it has no reason to exist as a team.
    edited December 2013
    Since the other guy covered everything else quite adequately, I'll cover this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5pocMUIWwU

Honestly, people, he's half-human. He slips occasionally.

so some say hes half empty does that mean he isnt half full?

he may have human genes but he decided to be a vulcan, that means purging emotions and dedication to logic. if he failed to control himself, then he failed as a vulcan. in which case the idea of this jj spock is a fake and a hollow one at that. hes either vulcan or hes a human, which is he?
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited December 2013

he may have human genes but he decided to be a vulcan, that means purging emotions and dedication to logic. if he failed to control himself, then he failed as a vulcan. in which case the idea of this jj spock is a fake and a hollow one at that. hes either vulcan or hes a human, which is he?

So... did you even watch that clip?
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Honestly I interpret Alt!Spock kinda like Garrus Vakarian. Garrus is prone to going off half-cocked and doesn't have very much respect for authority. In his own words he's "not a very good turian." Alt!Spock tries really hard to be Vulcan, but he's not all that good at it.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • cosmicdestiny715cosmicdestiny715 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm kinda disappointed I don't see many people defending the original universe. I'll say that I got into Star Trek when I was 11 or 12 because of Enterprise. From there I watched some of TOS, Voyager, TNG, and finally DS9. I absolutely hate JJ Trek. I think they are great sci-fi movies and I don't wanna argue if they are true Star Trek movies. The reason why I am mad is because the big wigs felt the need to give a giant middle finger to all past trek incarnations. They didn't have to go into a different universe, they already had plenty to work with. Why not try a movie in the 25th century or something like that. Worst of all, I would hate if trek comes back to tv but in the alternate timeline.

Most importantly though, the new movies are meant for people who know nothing about Star Trek. The movie is full of action and lens flares to attract the attention of people (who's attention spans are probably comparable to that of a fly) who think of star trek as stupid and nerdy. For example, I remember in one of my university classes, people were introducing themselves and saying what their favourite movies were. One person listed the new Star Trek as their favourite movie. She explained that its better than the old star trek because its much more fun and has a lot more action. My teacher's assistant then asked her if she had seen any of the older movies. She replied with a no, to which my TA laughed at with disbelief. She had not seen a single minute of trek but was so quick to make a judgement about it. These are the type of dumb people JJ trek is trying to appeal towards; the type of people who refused to watch Star Trek because of the preconceptions people have about Star Trek (being nerdy, for losers who live in basements, that kind thing). JJ trek turned Star Trek into a generic sci-fi/action film and I don't want any future tv incarnations to follow the same route. Sorry if this comes off as me being a troll but this is just the truth.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It's not about which is better. It's about whether one of the two sucks... IMO neither sucks.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited December 2013
    I'm kinda disappointed I don't see many people defending the original universe. I'll say that I got into Star Trek when I was 11 or 12 because of Enterprise. From there I watched some of TOS, Voyager, TNG, and finally DS9. I absolutely hate JJ Trek. I think they are great sci-fi movies and I don't wanna argue if they are true Star Trek movies. The reason why I am mad is because the big wigs felt the need to give a giant middle finger to all past trek incarnations. They didn't have to go into a different universe, they already had plenty to work with. Why not try a movie in the 25th century or something like that. Worst of all, I would hate if trek comes back to tv but in the alternate timeline.

Most importantly though, the new movies are meant for people who know nothing about Star Trek. The movie is full of action and lens flares to attract the attention of people (who's attention spans are probably comparable to that of a fly) who think of star trek as stupid and nerdy. For example, I remember in one of my university classes, people were introducing themselves and saying what their favourite movies were. One person listed the new Star Trek as their favourite movie. She explained that its better than the old star trek because its much more fun and has a lot more action. My teacher's assistant then asked her if she had seen any of the older movies. She replied with a no, to which my TA laughed at with disbelief. She had not seen a single minute of trek but was so quick to make a judgement about it. These are the type of dumb people JJ trek is trying to appeal towards; the type of people who refused to watch Star Trek because of the preconceptions people have about Star Trek (being nerdy, for losers who live in basements, that kind thing). JJ trek turned Star Trek into a generic sci-fi/action film and I don't want any future tv incarnations to follow the same route. Sorry if this comes off as me being a troll but this is just the truth.

That's because there's nothing to 'defend' as BOTH incarnations are entertaining. What I'm doing is counter arguing the point where some people are claiming the Abram's films "Are Not Star Trek" (tm) because "<insert situation here> NEVER happens in 'real' Star Trek..."; when in fact everything depicted in Abram's Star Trek (including character motivations) has occurred in previous incarnations of Star Trek - ergo Abram's Starv Trek films ARE Star Trek as much as any previous incarnation.