test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Infected ground run melee weapons

captainmerzancaptainmerzan Member Posts: 52 Arc User
I was woundering what is the best setup for infected ground run doing it with melee weapons, what melee weapon is best what shield and what armour would be best to use for a ground melee run on infected
Post edited by captainmerzan on

Comments

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,457 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Not a huge fan of mellee myself but i understand the swords are the best way to go.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Do not do IGN/IGE with melee weapons. Just don't. Disabuse yourself of the notion. You will severely burden any team and make it all but impossible for them to get the optional if you take a sword with you onto Starbase 82.
  • majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Do not do IGN/IGE with melee weapons. Just don't. Disabuse yourself of the notion. You will severely burden any team and make it all but impossible for them to get the optional if you take a sword with you onto Starbase 82.

Well said, I've never been able to get the optional when a sword wielder is on the team for IGE/N. It's as if they intentionally go into the mission with the intent of messing up the optional. Killing borg from range is key to doing well in the mission and obtaining the optional, which can't be done if the player is using a melee weapon.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Wot a foolish thing todo in ign/ige google sto elite stf for the mission guide my advice is to use sniper and a pulsewave for the elite ground missions
    ive got the elite team commander acolade on 4 of my 5 char and my rommy will be getting it in the next day or two now she has the ground mk xii set.
    Elite team commander means ive got all optionals for ground and space elite stf.

Soz for any typo doing this from my phone.
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • seannewboyseannewboy Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    They are correct, that missions optional can not be done with melee. However for melee combat at end levels, use the Nukaran Shattering harmonics shield and sword, with a good fleet armor, best would be a pollyalloy.

But dont take melee to to ground infected.
    New home of the Romulan Republic.
    I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
    I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
    I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.
  • momawmomaw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    You can do it with melee. Been there done that. The secret is engineers. Run in, weapon malfunction on the heavies, carpet the place with land mines, chop up the borg assimilating the victim while everything else explodes.

The thing is, if you're going to do this, everybody must do this. If you have a team member trying to be cagey and snipe from the trigger points then things go south quickly.
  • captainmerzancaptainmerzan Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    the reson I am asking I been hearing of groups doing it with melee weapons and doing it fairly qickly, with groups the whole team is meleeing cause melee have an 80% shield penetration,
    edited December 2013
    momaw wrote: »
    You can do it with melee. Been there done that. The secret is engineers. Run in, weapon malfunction on the heavies, carpet the place with land mines, chop up the borg assimilating the victim while everything else explodes.

The thing is, if you're going to do this, everybody must do this. If you have a team member trying to be cagey and snipe from the trigger points then things go south quickly.

oh ok was woundering from the videos why the heavies wherent one shotting like they normaly do
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    oh ok was woundering from the videos why the heavies wherent one shotting like they normaly do

All i can think of is its ign not ige

ignore me i miss read lmao yer its a eng kit
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Well, I personally play strictly melee/kicks/lunges - so if there's a way to do it with this... open to suggestions. I find gunning horribly boring & meele'ing everything is fun & effective, if you know how to... :D
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

edited December 2013

That's not a real melee run, that's an engineer mining run. Which, by the way, goes much faster if the engineers are all using pulsewaves.
  • shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Indeed, what I took from the OP's post is not that they expect this to be in any way an easy, quick, or optimal way of doing IGE. It's a way of getting an extra challenge by playing with self imposed rules, like playing Pokemon under the Nuzlocke rules. That said, I'm curious to hear how it might be done. Sounds like you need to somehow neutralize the bulk of the Borg, and take down the ones on the hostages hella quick. Either that, or just be able to tank like a boss while you save the hostages. Probably requires planning of the team's gear loadout to make sure you're getting the right team buffs from the set bonuses.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • jrq2jrq2 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I do not recommend Melee weapons in any ground STFs, mostly is that most players are not spec?ed for them and the Borg use their Assimilating nano injectors as melee weapons and you will most likely end up assimilated and die. This is not go for the team if you keep dying.

Another reason is that the melee weapon requires very close combat and you will most likely end up agroing more than one mob if you?re the type that says TRIBBLE the team I?m running ahead and slashing a few Borgs, also not good for the team.

I have also seen players just stand there doing nothing because they do not want to rush forward so they wait for the Borg to get closer before they do a melee attack and that?s a waste of Group DPS just standing there and waiting.

And my all-time reason not to use Melee weapon in any ground STF is that the DPS on the weapon is low compared to the most common energy weapon that?s used in the game.
    The Pulse wave rifle, this weapon is an AOE with a high knock back attack and makes it difficult for Melee weapon users to effectively use their attacks if the NPC keeps getting knocked all over the place.

The pulswave is a good weapon, but I have seen many melee players trying to swing at their target and all of a sudden their target gets knocked out of swinging range and they try to run up to the same target and give another swing and once again that target gets knock around and in the end the melee player only got one or two good swings in, see, bad DPS.

If you really want Borg on Melee weapon action then may I suggest you run Assimilation on Elite level. This can be found in the Episodes Tab in your mission journal under Undine Advance.

This way you can have your Borg slashing fill without affecting other players that just want to finish the STF in a timely manner.

See, win, win for everyone. :D
    edited December 2013
    Kinda have to agree that the melee weapon DPS is low... but how about Tac captains with Tac kits - kicks/lunges? It has worked wonders for me, and I can't even think of funnier way how to do the ground stuff...

I'd guess that in order to have the melee party on the Borg STF would be finding similary minded people and experiment and well... have fun. Something I am totally not opposed to at all; need some more challenge, the Borg on Defera are a snorefest which can be taken care off with my eyes nearly closed... :(

"Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I HATE fiddling with those worthless remodulators! thus I always pack melee when fighting Borg. It doesn't matter what kind of setup I'm using.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited December 2013
    I HATE fiddling with those worthless remodulators! thus I always pack melee when fighting Borg. It doesn't matter what kind of setup I'm using.

Use the Adapted MACO Phaser Pulsewave, the Borg do not adapt to that weapon. It's a copy/paste from the KHG rifle. The weapon procs the borg phaser adaptation, fires phaser damage, but only disruptor borg adaptation will trigger the need to remodulate with the Adapted MACO pulsewave.
  • drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    There is such a thing as IGE no-lines run. And it works. With swords too. Perfectly doable including the optional.
    edited December 2013
    There is such a thing as IGE no-lines run. And it works. With swords too. Perfectly doable including the optional.
    Can you elaborate on this? Even in PM. :)

edited December 2013

Two of the players in that video, Erik and T.J., are great ground PvPers. I don't recognize the other three people in the video. The video is not a sword run however, though one person is using a sword full time and the other uses one occasionally. Erik, T.J., and Mr. Spock are all using Pulsewaves for most of it.

Watching that reminded me of the IGE run I ran with some ground PvPers the other day. It just shows you how powerful a group of ground players can be when set up completely. It's true, you don't need to sit back with the right team, but you also don't want to go in with 5 swords.
  • drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Right then, you wanted swords only - and these players are not even "top ground PVPers"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_47474KgT8
    edited December 2013
    Right then, you wanted swords only - and these players are not even "top ground PVPers"
    So much awesomeness. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited December 2013
    Makes me want to run it with a group like that... my kicks are deff stronger than melee weapons too... :D

• kagenekoalfakagenekoalfa Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Swords are the way to go in ground stf's http://www.twitch.tv/ryansto/c/2685959
    edited December 2013

First off, the knockback exploit is now patched, which means it's no longer possible to chain knockback as they did throughout the video to kill the borg. Second, the run is significantly slower than the average energy weapon run-through. Swords work, but they are still not the best weapons in the game.
    Swords are the way to go in ground stf's http://www.twitch.tv/ryansto/c/2685959

Again, not a sword video, this video is just a group of engineers running the enemy neutralization kit to oneshot entire groups of Borg with minefields. There is also energy weapon use throughout the video, only the tactical officers use melee and they contribute very little overall damage.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Whatever you do, do NOT use Nanopulse-edge weapons in ground STFs. Those mofos adapt to them.
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,259 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Well if you got 3 of the temporal doff who boosts melee dmg then you can slaughter the Borg easily. Like a knife through melting butter easy.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
    edited December 2013
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Whatever you do, do NOT use Nanopulse-edge weapons in ground STFs. Those mofos adapt to them.
    For several months after they were first added to the game the Borg didn't.... but that got fixed. :( I loved doing it that way. But alas....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    westx211 wrote: »
    Well if you got 3 of the temporal doff who boosts melee dmg then you can slaughter the Borg easily. Like a knife through melting butter easy.

This ^^^

My Fed Engineer runs Very Rare Bat'leth with 3 melee/crit Security doffs -- 100+DPS base damage, 20% crit chance, 125% crit severity . . . oh yeah and 80% shield penetration :D
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
    edited December 2013
    This ^^^

My Fed Engineer runs Very Rare Bat'leth with 3 melee/crit Security doffs -- 100+DPS base damage, 20% crit chance, 125% crit severity . . . oh yeah and 80% shield penetration :D

yeap these are things I was woundering as far as which melee to use I have the newest ones with the higher dps but I also have an old mk x purple borg batleth which does the additional radiation to borg damage, so which would be better to use the higher dps or the old mk x with the extra borg damage on it.