test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Infected ground run melee weapons

2»

Comments

• venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I was woundering what is the best setup for infected ground run doing it with melee weapons, what melee weapon is best what shield and what armour would be best to use for a ground melee run on infected
    Infected Ground is similar to a sniper game.

Key to winning the 'optional' is to clear each room from a distance. Once you have killed as many borg as possible, without tripping off the invisible event triggers, you dash into the room to save the officers. If you cross over the invisible event triggers too early, you risk losing the optional for someone else. Remember, regardless about how you feel about the optional, you are not the only player in the stf.

Infected, Cure, and Khitomer ground stfs are a team sport. You have to coordinate with other players, so that you can complete each of them successfully. Completing the 'optional' is a requirement for obtaining certain gear.

Try not to use melee weapons in Infected ground stfs.
  • velzandarvelzandar Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I've been running a strictly melee main character since release. The day they revamped melee was without a doubt the best day this game has offered me so far. Pulse waves may (idk since I don't use one regularly) be better, but I can certainly assure that for any elite STF OTHER than IGE, melee is excellent. With a melee specced and geared character, you can easily dice thru normal mobs and with lunge/good rng you can 2 shot heavy tacs. In KA if you get things lined up well and get good rng you can cleave a pack of drones down solo with a sword ( if you're fast enough).

With a character focused on melee, you can get to over 50% crit chance and pushing or over 200% severity.

That all being said if you don't have the doffs/ a melee oriented character you're just hamstringing yourself and would be better off focusing on energy weapons. Also, I wouldn't bother on IGE, unless the group doesn't really care that much about the optional. I've done it a few times and it really is just easier on everyone if you use a rifle. It's just too much extra hassle In a team setting.
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    velzandar wrote: »
    I've been running a strictly melee main character since release. The day they revamped melee was without a doubt the best day this game has offered me so far. Pulse waves may (idk since I don't use one regularly) be better, but I can certainly assure that for any elite STF OTHER than IGE, melee is excellent. With a melee specced and geared character, you can easily dice thru normal mobs and with lunge/good rng you can 2 shot heavy tacs. In KA if you get things lined up well and get good rng you can cleave a pack of drones down solo with a sword ( if you're fast enough).

With a character focused on melee, you can get to over 50% crit chance and pushing or over 200% severity.

That all being said if you don't have the doffs/ a melee oriented character you're just hamstringing yourself and would be better off focusing on energy weapons. Also, I wouldn't bother on IGE, unless the group doesn't really care that much about the optional. I've done it a few times and it really is just easier on everyone if you use a rifle. It's just too much extra hassle In a team setting.
    I am on the same boat as you. I specialize in melee, never really shot a gun, and made the character geared towards that & totally agree that you can kick the hell out of anything with this. Add some DOFF bonuses.. and it's groovey. And my regen speed is so high, that I practically don't die, unless I mess around and pull too many mobs on me... but then again, that's when hypo's come in... :D

Guess that IGE is not worth is, but there's other Borg STF, which I believe is totally fine to kick through (literally) :D
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• oewefreestaroewefreestar Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    so many people hating on melee and saying it's not possible....let me share my build with you.

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=sciencetankground_0

this is just my ground set up. I like it. Ya, it might be a little out dated or out of the ordinary now a days, but guess what? I make it work. People these days in mmo's have it so easy all they have to do is get max gear for their class, get the popular kit at the time, and learn how to use that one thing. NOTHING is wrong with that, if that's how you want to play anyways. I just feel that we as mmo players have lost touch with a very important skill, <player skill>.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not saying everyone in sto is teribad and I'm better for being original or whatever. I'm just saying that now a days if "you don't run this and that" you are bad and should feel bad cuz you will bring the team down and lose it for us. When this is entirely untrue.

If given the opportunity I could freaking solo any stf elite and get the opt (taking away the "I need people to activate these at the same time" factor of course) I would also do it with this set up as well. I've lost count of how many optionals I've gotten for people who needed it using a sword.
  • abystander0abystander0 Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    For the most part, melee in IGE is a bad idea. This i mostly due to the assimilation mechanic on the npc prisoners. If it wasn't for that, it would not be a huge issue.

For it to work, there are other things in play other than just grabbing a sword off the wall and swinging it around thinking you are a jedi master.

First is teamwork. The rest of your team, should be made aware of what you are about. Having you run in swinging your sword while the rest of the team was going to follow plan 'A' (long range attacks from beyond the assimilation trigger) will more than likely get you labeled the noob, and annoy the heck out of the rest of the team (and more than likely dead).

Second is to make certain you are appropriately set up for melee. Swinging that sword around is cool and all, but if you lack the traits, skills, duty officers, and other gear that support it, you are going to be subpar when it comes to effectiveness, and more than likely useless.

To this end, certain races are naturally better at melee than others. Vulcans, Romulans, Klingons, Male orions, Nausicans, Gorn, Ferasans (to a lesser degree) have increased strength or a melee damage increase. If your race doesn't have this, you should probably look for another way.

Kits are another way to increase your damage. Tactical has the operative and the close combat kits that both support melee. Science has the Physicist and Analyst kit that specialize in debuffs and damage as well as the Physician kit that has Dylovene (Melee damage increase with extra health). Engineering has the Enemy Neutralization kit with it's explosives, and enemy disables.

With melee weapons, I would suggest one of the crystalline swords that you can get from the Nukara rep (or the lobi store if you haven't finished nukara rep) since swords have a slightly longer charge (you run to the enemy for melee with an attack) range. Another good choice is the Shard Sword of Kahless on kdf side (a bat'leth). Bat'leths with critHx3 are also an option.

Duty officers can greatly enhance your melee ability. It may be expensive to do so, but equipping 5 purple duty officers will be worth your while. Check out the exchange and see what is available for the skills you have. There is an assault squad officer that grants a chance for knockback that can work for any class.

For armor use the Fleet Polyalloy weave armor if you don't have Klingon Honor Guard, or the Adapted Maco sets. KHG and AM are better for melee (Adrenal booster is your friend). The Shattering harmonics set from the Nukara rep looks good on paper for inflicting damage, but it has very little damage resistance. Although I have not tried it in IGE myself, I would recommend against it.

Third, carry immunosupport nanite suppressant devices. Borg just love when you get up close and personal and try to assimilate you.

There is this melee guide, that can give you some basics, but it appears to be out of date.

Bottom line is if you want to go melee against the borg, go all the way. Don't be half assed about it.