Post edited by xsupersnailx on

Comments

• erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I hope not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • immudzenimmudzen Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Originally STO and CO where supposed to go on the xbox 360. Microsoft ends up changing various policies and where outright hostile towards MMOs which is why only one ever showed up on the 360 and that was pretty much a launch title. I doubt microsoft will change on that one.

It could show up on the PS4 since Sony at least seems to be fairly positive towards MMOs on their console. Actually the PS4 is basically a PC with the same kind of graphics card, cpu etc and with the work cryptic has done making a mac client (opengl) it should be possible to translate a lot of that work.
  • alan171717alan171717 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Looking at things like Titanfall makes me think maybe

But how would it work? I have enough problems getting my special powers working on this thing that has like 70 buttons (Laptop)
    "I am a travelor of both time and space to be where I have been"
  • tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It could happen. STO is one incredibly shallow MMO.
  • xsupersnailxxsupersnailx Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    immudzen wrote: »
    Originally STO and CO where supposed to go on the xbox 360. Microsoft ends up changing various policies and where outright hostile towards MMOs which is why only one ever showed up on the 360 and that was pretty much a launch title. I doubt microsoft will change on that one.

It could show up on the PS4 since Sony at least seems to be fairly positive towards MMOs on their console. Actually the PS4 is basically a PC with the same kind of graphics card, cpu etc and with the work cryptic has done making a mac client (opengl) it should be possible to translate a lot of that work.

Elder Scrolls Online is coming to xbox one
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    too many buttons, how would you play it on a friggin console controller.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    maxvitor wrote: »
    too many buttons, how would you play it on a friggin console controller.

^It's this. STO would require an almost complete overhaul to even be playable on a console. With the effort that would require, it would be more feasible to make an entirely new game. :o
  • alan171717alan171717 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    ^It's this. STO would require an almost complete overhaul to even be playable on a console. With the effort that would require, it would be more feasible to make an entirely new game. :o

Actually, thinking about this

Assuming you did not put it on PS4, you could use Kinect to voice activate most powers

Just throwing that out there
    "I am a travelor of both time and space to be where I have been"
  • a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Dude, everyone knows the most souped up PCs can crush any console like T-34's over TRIBBLE. And most gaming PCs are at least on par with consoles.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • felixhexfelixhex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    How do you use all your abilities? Voice command! Fire all phasers! Why do people say no to this? This would be good for the mmo.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    STO ported to Next-gen consoles? Why? Is there a sudden shortage of whiny elitist griefers with too much time on their hands in STO I am unaware of?

Do you have any idea just how many pop up windows we'd have to wade thru to get to what we can do now in real time?

Can you imagine what Z-Store ships and items would have to cost to cover the licensing arrangements?

What if CBS decides to limit the access to certain content a console player has? There is a reason you don't normally find Coca-Cola inside a Pepsi machine and vice versa.

What about the track record Sony has for keeping their customer's personal info safe? For all their faults, pwe/cryptic does seem to have a handle on this. Port the game to a console and this might go away with a quickness.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • amalefactoramalefactor Member Posts: 511 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It could happen. STO is one incredibly shallow MMO.

If that is so, what does that make you, being here?
    edited December 2013
    I am fairly certain hackers get info off pc's everyday. The point is from a game play standpoint, it can be done. What makes STO so special that it can't also be on consoles? The answer is nothing. If this game wants to remain relevant past 10 years then a jump to PS4 and XBox One is the move they should make. I mean, the up side is huge. Imagine an app for your android or I phone where you use it as a second screen for the game. This is used now or will be used for future games on the PS4 for sure. Anyway, on the second screen you could keep track of the doff system, have access to other abilities, a map, sensor readings, pop up dialogue, chat, Fleet info...etc.
    edited December 2013
    Does EVE online have a console version? No it does not. Does WoW? No it does not. Do many console games get ported to PC? Yes they do. Why? Because you can do a hell of a lot more with a PC than you can with a console. To make STO console usable it would have to be dumb down to inbred Kentucky Moonshiner level and we do not need that to happen to this game.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • amalefactoramalefactor Member Posts: 511 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Does EVE online have a console version? No it does not. Does WoW? No it does not. Do many console games get ported to PC? Yes they do. Why? Because you can do a hell of a lot more with a PC than you can with a console. To make STO console usable it would have to be dumb down to inbred Kentucky Moonshiner level and we do not need that to happen to this game.

It continues to disturb me how often people obsessed with their stupid smartphones/tablets ask "why isn't this on my tablet yet?". That's the next step, and an even worse one.

Communication breakdown and oversimplification of gameplay because the loss of a keyboard? Take it one step further: needing it all to tie into a touch screen.

Yet I've seen that demand here and elsewhere too. I think some people are married to those things.
    edited December 2013
    I know what the problem is. I'm on here talking to people who refer to their pc's as rigs. Look, pc's are being made obsolete. No , not for all but many. If I want a pc to do what my PS4 can do I will have to fork out a whole heck of a lot more money to have that. And still, if I wanted to play my beloved STO I get to use a mouse and keyboard. The problem occuring here in real time is the most of you don't want your rigs to be invalidated by a little console. And you know what, using offensive stereotypes does not help get your point across.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Will it ever happen?

requires hiring a lot of new people. getting sony or microsoft to release their source code for their software and oversight by reps from microsoft or sony. it would require time understanding the code, the functionality and logic. then translating all that pc and mac information to the console port would take a long time, intergrating the ps4 and one network to cryptic servers so pc/mac and console players can play together. cryptic may need to be imaginative when it comes to something like the UI and chat since there is limited options with a console pad, it would have to be easier then having a perma keyboard pad in the corner and scrolling the keys for the right one. if the ui was the same, the time it would take to get the right power you would be dead. translating graphics and sound. the whole lot needs new extensions for the ps4 probably. all this requires a lot of money and time. at least 3-5 years for one port.

even if you get a working port, bugs and design choices would need to be made because of console limitations. for ex. large zones like nimbus 3 would need to be made smaller for the console port. lucky it isnt CO because there, the games has a lot of large adventure zones that would need to be chopped into lots of smaller instances. same on sto to a smaller degree.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited December 2013
    Removed due to lack of interest
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    STO being on console has been asked manytimes in the past, and I recall the Dev Team commenting on it several times. And believe they said it wasn't going to happen.

But hey, at least STO works with Mac now.
  • quadraxis666quadraxis666 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    But hey, at least STO works with Mac now.

Which is just like being on a console! win all round lol
    edited December 2013
    even the mac port has taken almost 3 years to do from pc sto release date.
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I do think it is possible.

The latest generation consoles have the horsepower to run the game and I wouldn't be surprised if keyboards and mice for consoles are made available as extra accessories. Voice commands would be cool when it works, but it would suck when it doesn't - I can imagine the rage if someone is screaming evasive manoeuvres but the ship is just sitting there getting shot to pieces :)

I think the main hurdle as mirrorchaos pointed out is that they are both still quite different platforms in terms of what happens behind the paintjob, and it could mean rebuilding STO from scratch to make it more console friendly.

So yeah, for me it is possible but it won't happen. Oh and in before lock when this thread inevitably devolves into a PC vs Console flame war.
    edited December 2013
    My biggest turn-off with consoles has always been the controller, if keyboards and mice/trackballs were usable with consoles I would have no complaints.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
    edited December 2013
    My biggest turn-off with consoles has always been the controller, if keyboards and mice/trackballs were usable with consoles I would have no complaints.

if you used keyboards and mice what is the point in the console in the first place? you may as well put it on its side and call it a pc with a tv plug. no, its likely the ui would have to be radically altered for it to work with a console pad.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Will it ever happen?

Dear god I hope not, I can't imagine the nightmare that would ensue when they start revamping the controls for those controllers. You think you lose DOff settings now...
    coupaholic wrote: »
    I do think it is possible.

Possible, yes. Probable? Consoles are more popular for gaming than Macs, and look how long the Mac port took. I'd say "don't hold your breath waiting for a console version" would be reasonable advice. And don't even get me started on the tablet/smartphone nonsense. :rolleyes:
  • zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    immudzen wrote: »

Just an FYI, the new gen consoles do not have the same type of graphics card as PCs, they use a combined GPU/CPU while most peoples PCs have a dedicated separate CPU and GPU.
  • immudzenimmudzen Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The AMD APU they use is the same instruction set (x86) and graphics cards architecture that that PCs use but they don't have the massive overhead of directx or opengl that pcs have to deal with. It is why you can have a PC that is 10x more powerful than a console but it can't come even close to pushing 10x as many polygons. It is also why you can have games like dynasty warriors and they can have more moving things on the screen at a time than a PC can.

In the end the actual amount of data you can get through a modern console is fairly similar to what a high end PC can do. PCs should be able to stomp the consoles but overhead of windows and other stuff severely limits them.
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    if you used keyboards and mice what is the point in the console in the first place? you may as well put it on its side and call it a pc with a tv plug. no, its likely the ui would have to be radically altered for it to work with a console pad.

The point is that game consoles are standardized platforms with identical specifications that runs right out of the box, created for the purpose of playing games.

It is done so that users don't have to deal with the headache of setting up a gaming system, and so that the developers can optimize their games and guarantee that they look and perform equally for everyone who owns the particular console its been programmed for.

While PC's are far superior, they do require that the users are "tech savvy" to get the best possible experience.
    There are hardware and software compatibility issues and a wide variety of different hardware specifications to be considered.

But it really has very little to do with controller vs mouse and keyboard, other than that a controller is the most simplistic and optimized control unit for a console.
    The mouse and keyboard on the other hand is a infinitely more versitile and accurate input system.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    alan171717 wrote: »

Assuming you did not put it on PS4, you could use Kinect to voice activate most powers

Assuming voice commands work. (They don't)
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    alan171717 wrote: »

Of course most reviews I've read say Kinect's voice recognition is "a bit sketchy" on a good day, and you don't even want to get stuck dealing with it on a non-good day.

Just throwing that out there.

Might be good for the hardcore roleplayers though...assuming one wants to roleplay being the captain of a ship with a mostly-deaf crew who refuses to use any sort of hearing aids or other assistance. :P