What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO to next gen video gaming consoles?

2»

Comments

• jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    God no and here is why

The updates to content would slow to once a year maybe once every 18 months due to the extra encoding and work needed to cross port every detail

The bugs would be great

Xbox live
    Psn

List goes on
    JtaDmwW.png
  • afterbirth2afterbirth2 Member Posts: 0
    edited December 2013
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news for some, but...

[url]Http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/star-trek-online-publisher-promises-future-free-play-consoles/?redirect_override=true[/url]

Now for those saying the consoles aren't keyboard/mouse compatible, you are wrong. The ps3 and ps4 both support keyboard and mouse. As an STO player and ps4 owner, I would love if STO is ported. Graphicially, the game isn't very straining and the ps4 can handle it. The netcode will be a problem though. There can be different zones like there are now, but it will limited connectivity per zone. The article doesn't mention any game specifically, but I hope STO is one of them. Also cross platform isn't a necessity, but the ps3 makes FF XIV: ARR work.
  • z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Just wait for the steam box to come out, then you can play it on a tv just like a console.
  • afterbirth2afterbirth2 Member Posts: 0
    edited December 2013
    I have an hdmi cord running from my laptop to my tv and a wireless keyboard/mouse, so I play comfortably from my recliner. I also have my ps3 controller hooked up to my laptop so I use that for controlling my character and ship. I was never a WASD fan. In fact when STO was only able to be used controller wise by 3rd party programs, I only played briefly. Its since been fixed and is more convenient for us recliner/couch players.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    considering World of Tanks is going to XBoX 360, It's possible.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/30/perfect-world-entertainment-announces-console-division

It doesn't say that they are the games PW is looking at, but it makes sense and both STO and Neverwinter are mentioned in this article.

Would you guys like to see This game on consoles?

If it does come to consoles, how would it work with a controller?
    y1arXbh.png

• neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Yes, and make use of the Playstation Eye, and Kinect, So I can read the interesting threads on why players are being hailed by Captain Johnson, Commander Wang, Dr. Boner McCoy, and the Pirate King, One Eye Willy. :D
    GwaoHAD.png
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm relatively sure STO has an option for a controller input already.

That said, i'm not sure. More players equals more possible income for PWE and Cryptic, which in turn means more revenue that can be used to fund new content.

On the other hand, coding for the PS4, Xbox One and the WiiU (pfft) would take significant resources away from the PC version, which could be better spent improving the game.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I don't think they should focus on this for a while.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I don't see STO as a prime candidate.

Neverwinter on the other hand was clearly built with a controller in mind and could happily be ported over with minimal adaptation required form a player's perspective.
  • tggrinctggrinc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    sle1989 wrote: »

.....I think you hit the nail on the head there. I don't see how you could run everything with the few buttons avail on a console controller. I think there would be a lot of scrolling involved.

.....You could always get a keyboard that works with your console. But then the question comes; How many console players would be willing to make that core change in how they play? And how many of them would be willing to go out and buy a keyboard if that was the only way to play it?

.....If it was actually a success on consoles, that wouldn't bode well for the PC gaming community IMO. We've already seen the dumbing down of popular PC games so that they'll be more accessible to the console crowd. Think smaller arenas, fewer customizable controls, less custom content that's released less frequently, and fewer in game options all around.

.....I wouldn't be too worried about it though. MS doesn't allow free content on their servers so the Xbox won't ever get it. And I don't see anyone being able to bring the full PC experience to a console without a complete rewrite of the game from the ground up. And we all know how hard it is for Cryptic to just patch small problems... So I think we're safe for now.
  • thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Oh please no.
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • ovinspaceovinspace Member Posts: 310
    edited December 2013
    The graphics budget would be huge, the prettier star wars game cost a fortune and thats low end by the next gen console standards. As consoles now use pc tech maybe they could port ST:O more or less as is, not sure there'd be much point.
  • majorstormmajorstorm Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Game works fantastic with a controller. I recently set it up and have been tweaking the controls as I go along but I don't know how I could ever play this with keyboard and mouse again. Space and Ground combat is just so much more enjoyable with control pad.
  • brehusbrehus Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    New Consoles use an 8 core processor that runs at a lower clock speed and STO seems to be optimized to run only on 2 cores, so a higher clock speed is required. It would take an engine over hall to get it to use all 8 cores on the console
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    sto on consoles? no.

time, money and resources, sto is already on a tight rope, nwo isnt that popular and CO is just TRIBBLE these days. if PWE were looking at cryptic for a console game it would likely have to be from scratch.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • tggrinctggrinc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    majorstorm wrote: »
    Game works fantastic with a controller. I recently set it up and have been tweaking the controls as I go along but I don't know how I could ever play this with keyboard and mouse again. Space and Ground combat is just so much more enjoyable with control pad.

.....I stand corrected. We're DOOMED!:D
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    My opinion remains unchanged since the last "STO on consoles" thread 2 weeks ago:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=14048931&postcount=27
    Dear god I hope not, I can't imagine the nightmare that would ensue when they start revamping the controls for those controllers. You think you lose DOff settings now...
  • thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It would be a gigantic and unnecessary load on the servers, not to mention that Space combat would be really hard.
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 929 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    If they want to put STO in a console. Build it from scratch. This version is not useable...
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • xsupersnailxxsupersnailx Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Not everyone has a great gaming computer that can play STO that well, but consoles are built to play games and STO would look great on consoles
  • dedd1dedd1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    alan171717 wrote: »
    Actually, thinking about this

Assuming you did not put it on PS4, you could use Kinect to voice activate most powers

Just throwing that out there

Only thing is Kinect doesn't always recognise what you say .. most the time it does, tho there are times people ask about it, you say watch 'Xbox On' nothing happens, clear throat 'Xbox On' 'umm, must be a dodgy throat' 'Xbox On' Xbox powers up, Tv Turns on and you hear 'it did that by voice, thats clever' lol

Luckily the rest of commands work and you don't look a total prat talking to your tv ;-)

But if they could mix in Kinect voice/movement and not have a flood of complaints about 'my command didn't work' and we know there are people who'd do that then it might work.
  • ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    alan171717 wrote: »
    Actually, thinking about this

Assuming you did not put it on PS4, you could use Kinect to voice activate most powers

Just throwing that out there

If voice activation actually worked 100% of the time then it would already exist on the PC version. The new Kinect is better than the first one, but its still not great.

Plus think about it, not only would you look like an idiot screaming "fire all weapons" at your Xbone, but think about the other poor people that would have to put up with you who live in your house! Your likely to wake up just as a family member is lowering a pillow down on to your face......... (that would most likely happen in my house!).
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P
  • flightlizardflightlizard Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I dunno about next Gen consoles. As it is, the game is almost too complicated to navigate with a keyboard and mouse.

I'm only just now returning after nearly a year-long hiatus. Even then, I had only played a week or so.

I love that the game is this complicated, but really (and I hate to seem all PC Master Race here) I think it may be a bit too involved for all but the most die-hard Trek fan and console controllers. True, I think both consoles can now use keyboard and mouse, but still. Even navigating these forums has been a chore. Can you imagine some poor guy who had only seen the two new Trek movies trying to come in here? It seems almost overwhelming. On top of that, add a very complicated (but involved, in a GOOD way) to get most stuff done. I dunno.

That said, I can't imagine getting more players would be a bad thing. Maybe with that, we could de-emphasize the need to spend as much real money on the game.

Personal Note:

I wasn't kidding when I said navigating the forums is a pain. I dont know how long I need to have an account before I post questions I would like the answers to about it. Even then, it's more like several questions all at once that don't stick to any one category. Can someone maybe PM me, that can answer some stuff? I don't mean to be a jerk about it, if I'm coming off that way.
  • otowiotowi Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I do think that this is posible, but how much would it cost to port to PS4/Xbone?

I'm sure the costs associated with porting to consoles would be very high indeed, and might not even be worth effort in the end.

Also, the game would need upgraded graphics, and better netcode.

But the biggest problem is as many has mentioned, the controller issue. Sure it can be done, but would it be effective, and not require you to hold down all the buttons at once to activate a power? I fear this would be a royal pita to get right, and to ensure that it's easy to do in the middle of a firefight.

And even if PS4/Xbone can use mouse/keyboard combo, would you not be better of with a PC in the first place?

And then comes another problem, patching. If we assume that console and PC players are to be in the same universe, how would you get the versions to match? The update system for PS3 and I assume PS4, is such that Sony has to ok it before it goes live AFAIK.

Also, would the entire game need to be installed/downloaded, or would it run like say GTA 5, wich is both installing and using the game disc?

So, in all, not an easy thing to do for Cryptic, and I bet extremely time and money consuming...
  • daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    felixhex wrote: »
    I know what the problem is. I'm on here talking to people who refer to their pc's as rigs. Look, pc's are being made obsolete. No , not for all but many. If I want a pc to do what my PS4 can do I will have to fork out a whole heck of a lot more money to have that. And still, if I wanted to play my beloved STO I get to use a mouse and keyboard. The problem occuring here in real time is the most of you don't want your rigs to be invalidated by a little console. And you know what, using offensive stereotypes does not help get your point across.

my secondary "rig" or aka my "Steam Box" cost me no more than $300, because I built it myself using the millions of easy to follow youtube videos, and it performs just under what the PS4 can do, by just under, I mean a measly 10fps drop.

Consoles as they are now, quite simply put are being obsolete. The second the Xbox One and Playstation 4 were released, all they had were gimmicks that won't be kept up, and in all honesty the consoles are what restrict what game developers are able to do. Look at Star Citizen and how they are utilizing the PC, and how hundreds if not thousands of indie developers are doing with the PC, Consoles have literally millions of restrictions (not an exaggeration) of restrictions for games, including indie games.

when the PS3 and 360 came out, they were a great price for the gaming hardware and convieneince, back then, the computer parts were very very expensive. but now they are cheaper. now the consoles actually do less than what a decent future proof rig can do at $450-500.

again my $300 secondary rig runs just slightly under the PS4 (PS4 being the more powerful of the so called "next gen consoles"), My secondary rig is the first rig I've ever built, and I'm far from tech savvy.

but to answer my reaction of porting STO to console....yes if they make a new game capable of transfering progress and such from this version of STO to STO 2.0, and making it for all platforms...

but seeing as that is a pipe dream, never gonna happen, and if they have the resources and money to dedicate a separate team to the console verison then I still wouldn't like it.
  • razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,187 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Because I am disabled, and cannot sit up straight enough, I cannot use a keyboard too good. I use a controller to play. I can have 91 button configurations, or more. That doesn't include the 1 button I use to activate voice chat. It also doesn't include the START button, which I have set to the games menu, or the BACK button I use to get the map up.

It isn't an issue with the controller needing to be used. That works now.

I do think that it would be a good idea t open the game to consoles. However, I think it would be better to not allow cross platform gaming. The game could even be redone a little to make any software more up to date. The consoles can even have their own types of ships, and even different missions.

There are games that were on the PS3 that were free, but you could pay to advance in levels faster, or to get better gear faster. That is what is done now in STO.

There needs to be a good Star Trek game on consoles. They never really got a good one. Also, without doing cross platform gaming, nothing needs to be taken away from the PC experience. No one will lose, and the company can get feedback from a larger source to better enhance the game for everyone.

Tim.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    hell the steambox is coming out next year, if you want STO on a console, there ya go.
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    hell the steambox is coming out next year, if you want STO on a console, there ya go.

^^^ This and maybe that's what the story is referencing.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010