test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cookie Cutter, time to break away

talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
Ok, so who here thinks that STOL has gotten WAY too cookie cutter. I mean if something comes out for one faction, well federation players moan and whine and HAVE to have the same thing.

I am sorry, there was a reason I left Battlestar Galactica Online. Those ships literally were cookie cutter. I mean it was 2 different factions, only difference was the skin and the fact colonials fired red, cylons fired blue and the modules had different names. Outside of that EVERYTHING is the same.

Now I come back to STOL and see this happening all over again. I mean lets face it, outside of the romulans having singularities and battle cloak and the federation having everything short of that, what really separates the factions?

IMO romulans should lose battle cloak and that should be the sole purview of the Klingons. Ontop of that, the federation does not need every damn thing the other two faction has. I mean thank god they don't get singularities but seriously the ships are so cookie cutter, there really isn't much separating how the factions should have edges in certain areas, but weaknesses in others.

Plus weapons, IMO federation who arm cannons should not be as good as say a klingon who arms cannons. I mean these are the little things that make this game way too cookie cutter.

Need to start stepping away from cookie cutter. IMO Klingons should have the ONLY battle carriers around. Federation don't need carriers. Should be one of those things, want to operate carriers, fly klingon.

Anybody else think this game is getting way to cookie cutter and it needs to step away from that?
afMSv4g.jpg
Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    talonxv wrote: »
    I mean if something comes out for one faction, well federation players moan and whine and HAVE to have the same thing.

This is the truth. But in the interest of balance, KDF players do the same thing whenever something comes out for the Feds or Roms.

That said, I don't think it's at the point where we need to be worried about Cookie Cutter just yet. If they start giving Battle Cloaks to Fed ships, then i'll start to be worried.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Actually, Romulans should have battlecloak, Klingons regular cloak and feds no cloak at all. But I agree with you - diversity and different strategies make a good game, not red vs blue genericness - unfortunately that's what people want because it's more "competitive".
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    johngazman wrote: »
    This is the truth. But in the interest of balance, KDF players do the same thing whenever something comes out for the Feds or Roms.

That said, I don't think it's at the point where we need to be worried about Cookie Cutter just yet. If they start giving Battle Cloaks to Fed ships, then i'll start to be worried.

True however flip it on it's head. I mean federation ships are coming out ALL the time. Like the roms still don't have even close of a line up for each command tract. Neither do the klingons.

But it goes deeper than that. Example cannons. IMO klingons should have better usage of cannons and should be able to get better performance out of them than others. While the federation should be better at using phaser arrays and photon torps, while roms should get better usage out of their singularities[which they do] and so on.

There are ways to make all factions different but give them advantages in different areas while they should also have disadvantages in areas.

Example klingons should have weaker hulls but be faster on the helm. Feds should have stronger hulls and shields, but at the expense of firepower.

Romulans should have stronger weapons but at the expense of shields.

I mean those are exactly how i'd do it, just merely examples.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The truth of the matter - however depressing it may be - is that the Fed's are the main faction, not by definition, but by player base. More people play Fed, hence it makes better business sense to make ships and releases for that faction.

I find this sad - as an avid Fed, Klink and Rom player - but it's how things go. If STO were bigger, more popular, had a bigger Dev team and a bigger budget, maybe it would mean that the Klinks and Roms could have a larger ship lineup to pull them more into line with the Feds. Not to mention that so far, KDF ships haven't sold very well. Hence why they haven't had much in around two years.

As for differentiating the factions - isn't that what's happening now? With the buff to Raiders (KDF only), the Cruiser Commands (that Romulans don't get) and the supposed buff to Science? bearing in mind that while both the KDF and Fed have cruisers, the Fed has an abundance of Science ships, whereas the KDF has...two?
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Actually, Romulans should have battlecloak, Klingons regular cloak and feds no cloak at all. But I agree with you - diversity and different strategies make a good game, not red vs blue genericness - unfortunately that's what people want because it's more "competitive".

There shouldn't be a distinction between "battlecloak" and "regular cloak" at all.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    johngazman wrote: »
    The truth of the matter - however depressing it may be - is that the Fed's are the main faction, not by definition, but by player base. More people play Fed, hence it makes better business sense to make ships and releases for that faction.

I find this sad - as an avid Fed, Klink and Rom player - but it's how things go. If STO were bigger, more popular, had a bigger Dev team and a bigger budget, maybe it would mean that the Klinks and Roms could have a larger ship lineup to pull them more into line with the Feds. Not to mention that so far, KDF ships haven't sold very well. Hence why they haven't had much in around two years.

As for differentiating the factions - isn't that what's happening now? With the buff to Raiders (KDF only), the Cruiser Commands (that Romulans don't get) and the supposed buff to Science? bearing in mind that while both the KDF and Fed have cruisers, the Fed has an abundance of Science ships, whereas the KDF has...two?

Exactly. There can be difference between factions like abilities, but also balanced in the amount of ships.

I mean the klingon science ships could be better at projecting gravity wells while federation could be better at shutting down systems with viral load or what have you.

There are things like that they could do. I mean these are just things I am noticing which sadden me.
    afMSv4g.jpg

• Options
    earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    There shouldn't be a distinction between "battlecloak" and "regular cloak" at all.

This I can agree with. A cloak is a cloak is a cloak. Doesn't matter if someone's firing one you, if you take the chance of your shields going down at the wrong time, to gain "invisibility", should be your choice,
    Now I could see making cloaks of varying strengths, (maybe make a "console slot" specifically for them, on the ships that are supposed to have cloaks, where you can fit in various strengths of cloaks, just like you can do for shields, deflectors, etc etc. (And before anyone says it, I'm NOT talking about making cloaks use up a console slot, but making a NEW slot specifically for cloaks, on those ships that have them, similar to how only certain ships have slots for carrier pets)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    This is why Klingons complained so much about Feds getting Carriers, cloaking, and now Battlecruisers and even Raiders.

The only reason to play KDF now is to farm Dilithum.
  • Options
    zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    This I can agree with. A cloak is a cloak is a cloak. Doesn't matter if someone's firing one you, if you take the chance of your shields going down at the wrong time, to gain "invisibility", should be your choice,
    Now I could see making cloaks of varying strengths, (maybe make a "console slot" specifically for them, on the ships that are supposed to have cloaks, where you can fit in various strengths of cloaks, just like you can do for shields, deflectors, etc etc. (And before anyone says it, I'm NOT talking about making cloaks use up a console slot, but making a NEW slot specifically for cloaks, on those ships that have them, similar to how only certain ships have slots for carrier pets)

Now this idea I like. You could even have different advantages from the cloaking devices depending on the faction. Like for example the standard attack bonus or you can slot it out for a harder to detect cloak.

And yeah battlecloak as an idea is stupid when in lore ships with cloaking devices can use them mostly at will.
  • Options
    atomicfbatomicfb Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Military secrets are the most fleeting.

When one side produces a ship or piece of equipment that has an advantage the other sides copies or produces their own version. It works that way in real life and it would work that way in the Star Trek verse. Then there is the issue of balance, if one ship had an good advantage then the other players would want it for their faction which would lead to it being copied or worse, nerfed for that one faction. (Yes it has happened all ready.)

Sure, there needs to be some distinction but most of that will probably be cosmetic.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I see what you did here, you just wanted to see how many times you could use the words - cookie cutter - in the same posting, just kidding :)
    in a way I can see your point but there is a long way to go before all the factions are the same imo.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    panserbjorne39panserbjorne39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Agreed. Variety is the spice of life and I like my Star Trek spicy! I want a different experience flying different ships in each faction. I want more different and unique items that belong to that faction only. I've been getting so bored lately with this never ending arms race for DPS and cookie cutter builds.
    I'm considering retiring all my alien/lock box/lobi ships and flying a Defiant with a canon weapon setup that will probably take me twenty minutes to kill a Borg sphere. And I'm ok with that.
    And also, yes: Battle Cloaks or nothing. A good step in the right direction would be giving the new Mogh Battle Cruiser a Battle Cloak.
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The inventors and pioneers of Cloaking Technology in the franchise should lose Battle Cloak?

Sorry, not buying that.
  • Options
    aurigas7aurigas7 Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Well, the latest "whining" came from the KDF. Now the red team get's the exact copy of a ship the Federation didn't need in the first place. (90% of them use the same BFAW setup as the fleet assault cruiser/ regent)
    Instead of getting a "counter", the red team get's a copy. :(
    Ah well, I still hope the stats we saw by accident are not final, and the ship will get a KDF boff layout.

And +1 for battlecloak as standard. "Captain we can't engage the cloak right now, we are in combat ...." Yeah, sure.
    Vorcha_forward.jpg
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The ships are different enough. Removing Battle Cloaks from Romulans would be a huge mistake. They should always have better cloaks than Klingons. Removing items away from factions is not the way to make ships more unique. Adding items to factions is. The new Raider mechanic allows Klingons to have a unique experience that is present in only one other ship that every faction gets. That ship has an inferior version since it only allows alpha strikes while the Klingon version allows constant hit-and-run tactics. Each ship type should have its own unique mechanic that the other factions can't get or just get a really limited version.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    aurigas7 wrote: »
    Well, the latest "whining" came from the KDF. Now the red team get's the exact copy of a ship the Federation didn't need in the first place. (90% of them use the same BFAW setup as the fleet assault cruiser/ regent)
    Instead of getting a "counter", the red team get's a copy. :(
    Ah well, I still hope the stats we saw by accident are not final, and the ship will get a KDF boff layout.

And +1 for battlecloak as standard. "Captain we can't engage the cloak right now, we are in combat ...." Yeah, sure.

Doesn't matter who is whining, problem is, we are doing that, just wining for the new ship, just in a different skin. Did that in BSGO, didn't turn out so well.
    afMSv4g.jpg

• Options
    jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited December 2013
    The problem Cryptic has is they are advantage focused. they keep adding more and more advantages but no disadvantage to go with. The new raider buff is a prime example. It has no disadvantage to go with the +30 flanking damage or whatever it is for PvP. If Fed "destroyer" class got an advantage against that such as the ability to spot a raider buffing within 5 kilometers of a teammates flank then there would be balance.

battle cloaks get 2 advantages, one being able to cloak and run the other decloak alpha strike buff. Raiders get 3 advantages with the battle cloak but not 1 of those comes at a disadvantage from a ship made for countering it. Each ship and special console should come at the same time as the opposite sides direct counter to it.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • Options
    mirrorshatnermirrorshatner Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Romulans shouldn't lose Battlecloak - since Romulans are the original cloakers they rightly have the best cloaking technology.

The problem of "battlecloak" vs normal "cloak" - the distinction was obviously originally conceived to be what made Birds of Prey (or "Raiders") special, since they were the only ones to have it. In turn, Birds of Prey paid dearly for unique ability with lower hull and shields and the loss of a weapon slot.

The problem came with the introduction of the Romulans, and how all Warbirds have battlecloak without any penalties that the Birds of Prey got smacked with.

Further compounding the issue is the deliberate decision by the game designers - that Starfleet shall not have Battlecloak. Even if it is not said deliberately, the "cloakless raider" and the Tal Shiar adapted ships with "only" normal cloak should tell you that they are taking deliberate decisions to ensure that Starfleet does not have battlecloak.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    oschwoschw Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    angrytarg wrote: »

Thats simply not true, anybody who is really a competive Gamer, will tell you, that balance is indeed important BUT distinctivness is as important as balance!

Why do you think Starcraft is so great? 3 completly different and unique yet balanced factions.

People who say, everybody needs the same Stuff else its not "competive" are the same crybaby that want EVERYTHING to be watered down, cry "OMG teh EVIL GRIND!!! OMGOMG!" at every corner and cant stand the fact, that skill includes: learning the different strengths and weaknesses of the factions and using/abusing them.

In short, its the noobs who want everything to be the same, NOT competive or elitist people.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    jetwtf wrote: »
    The problem Cryptic has is they are advantage focused. they keep adding more and more advantages but no disadvantage to go with. The new raider buff is a prime example. It has no disadvantage to go with the +30 flanking damage or whatever it is for PvP. If Fed "destroyer" class got an advantage against that such as the ability to spot a raider buffing within 5 kilometers of a teammates flank then there would be balance.

battle cloaks get 2 advantages, one being able to cloak and run the other decloak alpha strike buff. Raiders get 3 advantages with the battle cloak but not 1 of those comes at a disadvantage from a ship made for countering it. Each ship and special console should come at the same time as the opposite sides direct counter to it.

Ahh look! A PRIME example of my statement i made earlier!

So, Klingon Raiders have NO disatvantages? Well, MY BoP has only 6 weapons slots total and a paper thin hull, to me, that sounds like a Fair tradeoff, as he is a glass cannon, even more then the andorian escort...
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited December 2013

I agree. :mad:
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited December 2013

You are right in principle, although I always considered a "battlecloak" to be simply more advanced and reliable. Romulans are masters of cloaking technology while Klingon cloaks base on old designs they traded in for battlecruisers. I'm sure they advanced the tech as well but just not quite to romulan standards. Also, Klingons are more likely to decloak, use the advantage and then stand and fight while romulans are more likely to use evaisive tactics.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I agree. :mad:

Agreed. I actually suggested bumping up all cloak classes by one tier, inventing a new one for the EBC used by the B'rel and (more recently) the T'Varo - essentially bringing those two closer to the Scimitar. If necessary, buff the Scimitar's cloak as well.

That suggestion, however, fell on deaf ears, as it was ignored by the rest of the thread as well as the dev team... :(

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited December 2013
    oschw wrote: »
    Ahh look! A PRIME example of my statement i made earlier!

So, Klingon Raiders have NO disatvantages? Well, MY BoP has only 6 weapons slots total and a paper thin hull, to me, that sounds like a Fair tradeoff, as he is a glass cannon, even more then the andorian escort...

Do you just role play as ignorant? I was talking about the abilities given to them and an opposite ability given to the other side and not the ships themselves. Must be you look at avatar and think FED only player. but assume and the results of that go hand in hand.

BTW I want an extra fore weapon slot and allot more hull on my BOP, though doesnt need it when I can vaporize all but the tankiest of ships already. but go ahead and rant away about your glass cannon, I love mine.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Do you just role play as ignorant? I was talking about the abilities given to them and an opposite ability given to the other side and not the ships themselves. Must be you look at avatar and think FED only player. but assume and the results of that go hand in hand.

BTW I want an extra fore weapon slot and allot more hull on my BOP, though doesnt need it when I can vaporize all but the tankiest of ships already. but go ahead and rant away about your glass cannon, I love mine.

Im not "ranting" im stating Facts. And those facts are, that Birds of prey pay for the Flankig Bonus they get.

YOU complained about Bops not getting taxed for the new buffs like flanking.

Yet it wont matter much in pvp anyway, because it will be reduced vs. players.

So all i can get from your postings, is the usual cry cry whine whine, because you can, but without ANY consideration of hard and solid facts like numbers.
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited December 2013

+11% for the breen raider and +8% for KDF BoPs flankng in pvp please know the mechanics before you rant about something.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Frankly the thread sounds like another "We want Battle Cloak" and " KDF BoPs are OP, nerf them!" thread to me.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    No point having factions, if they are the same. Porting abilities and equipment because it is a popular thing, is probably the easiest way to placate the populace in general, but it makes for a boring, dull, plain, and watered out game. For sure. Just so someone can stuff their face without having to switch factions. So they can sit on their TRIBBLE and hoard all the goodies. I'm "fed" up with that. Stop making excuses and support the gorndarn game design. Or just admit failure and drop all this talk about "factions", and do not produce the poor excuses we label "fractions", while at it. All this nonsense have gotten out of hand.

P.S.

I'm Fed, and Romulan Fed. No personal agenda included. Just want the game to not suck. Supporting that "other" faction is not a detriment to the game as a whole. It makes it richer. As a whole. As for the "fraction", I have given up. It's just sad. And cheap. And unworthy.

---
  • Options
    slashdot1slashdot1 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    talonxv wrote: »
    Ok, so who here thinks that STOL has gotten WAY too cookie cutter. I mean if something comes out for one faction, well federation players moan and whine and HAVE to have the same thing.

Sure...but hey, why be Original when you can please the most ppl by simply copy/paste 1 good idea into every other faction? Distribution of 1 good idea into different faction is the RIGHT commercial way of obtaining the most pleased ppl in a game. And it costs less too when you think about it.

True originality on a constant bases is not what ppl are looking for in a game, cerntainly not in a mmo like this. Original thinking is so...24 th century :P Most ppl don`t like it, repetition is much more preferred. Star Trek used to be about exploring strange new worlds and broading the horizons, but hey...nowadays it`s all about grinding, building and repetition, so a bit of dilution of ideas matches the format well in a commercial way.

My advice? Take a break of at least one season every now and then. That at least helped me find the fun back into the game. i`ll see you guys back in season 10 :P