test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Epohh Tag Alternative

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
Could we please have an alternatives to the Fast and Flurrious? That race is is not fun with people bunny hopping their way to victory and having to grind out 2 tags per race.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• Options
    andrestartrekandrestartrek Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    tyraidd wrote: »
    Could we please have an alternatives to the Fast and Flurrious? That race is is not fun with people bunny hopping their way to victory and having to grind out 2 tags per race.

Yup, same for me, I lost interest in all the winter event has to offer. I only go for the breen ship and will ignore the rest of the winter event. With this kind of drops it is no fun playing.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited December 2013
  • Options
    andrestartrekandrestartrek Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    orangeitis wrote: »
    You can bunny hop too. Practice it in the NPC race.

Meh, what i say I lost interest. They have to fix it real good before I burn my hands on it again.

Something that is to hard or cost to much time is not worth playing. Everything has its sweet spot and this is not it.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Meh, whatever sinks your submarine. I learned to 'bunny hop', among other techniques in a day(this is my first year participating in the winter event). It's not THAT hard.
  • Options
    otakuboytotakuboyt Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    *post removed*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Bunny hopping is annoying, it defeats the purpose of the race to run on the ice. And its a work around of the game mechanics.

IMHO I would love for the Dev Team to add in a mechanic that if you bunny hop consecutively on the ice, you slip on your tookus. :D
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    *chuckles* Anything at all PvP-related and folks will always complain.

I remember what a fuss cheating in the race caused last year, though it was a very justified fuss by people tired of having to deal with cheaters. Jumping over the side of the cliff and basically skipping half the track to win easily. Heck, even after it was fixed people fussed because their easy win was taken away.

Even if they take away rolling and jumping, someone would still have to lose, that won't change.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    At least with actual PvP, the presence of others adds to, rather than detracts from, the experience.

And most importantly, you get to blow them up. Blast your enemies, see them explode before you, and hear their lamentations over the intercom. This thing is sadly lacking in that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited December 2013
    I prefered the Summer event and getting the eggs. By day 2 I had 11 of em in inventory, 1 hatched and being raised, and 1 being hatched, end of the first week and all 7 of my characters had every stage of the birds being worked on. Winter event and I have 1 being raised, 1 just started and enough for 1 more before I decided its not worth it to have to do 3 races for 1 epohh. It's not fun to do and I dislike having a chance to take first place but miss the flag just so second place can grab it.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The flag this is a thing imposed by the poor networking code in the game. The game cannot actually accurately determine who is in front. This is readily apparent if you run any kind of race, anywhere, with someone who is actually right next to you: Each of your computers will assert that you are in the lead. The game is thus unable to determine who is even winning!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The flag this is a thing imposed by the poor networking code in the game. The game cannot actually accurately determine who is in front. This is readily apparent if you run any kind of race, anywhere, with someone who is actually right next to you: Each of your computers will assert that you are in the lead. The game is thus unable to determine who is even winning!

Afraid you are wrong.

Go to the Foundry, there is a thing called Range Markers. You enter a set range from the objective, it unlocks. And the Foundry is inferior to what the Devs have. So they could very well set up where a player crosses the finish line, they get credit.
  • Options
    seniorkafeiseniorkafei Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm onboard with an alternative to the racing to get epohh tags. I'd like to earn epohh tags, but I'm already running a PvE race 8 times a day to get a ship for 8 characters. I have little desire to run more races.

Maybe it should be also be a reward for one of the other activities too? Maybe a drop from the box you get from the gingerbread colony? Maybe pie-eating? The rewards from that seem somewhat lackluster.
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Afraid you are wrong.

Go to the Foundry, there is a thing called Range Markers. You enter a set range from the objective, it unlocks. And the Foundry is inferior to what the Devs have. So they could very well set up where a player crosses the finish line, they get credit.

If you are right I wonder why such a poor system is implanted. The other day someone was blocking the flag, it cost me my first price. Another day, I was second, but the one who was first did not collect the flag, so the second one did not spawn. In both sistuations it looked to me a buddy was helping a buddy.

A clear finish line would be the best, but if we have to work with objects and interaction, let all flags spawn at the same time. Give them a color code so you can easy see which is first, second and third.
  • Options
    vaylikvaylik Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I have been across the line first on 3 occasions yet I have not been able to get a flag for first let alone second or third, for that matter whenever I have run the race I have not been able to get a flag. as it is it is event is sucking the fun out of the whole event.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2013
    vaylik wrote: »
    I have been across the line first on 3 occasions yet I have not been able to get a flag for first let alone second or third, for that matter whenever I have run the race I have not been able to get a flag. as it is it is event is sucking the fun out of the whole event.

Aim for the flag while pressing F like a maniac. That being said, removing commodities from snow piles has caused all this grief among players. Last year everyone got their gear and there were no complaints about the grind.
  • Options
    z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    How about a shooting range, we have certain time frame in which to shoot as many snowmen as possible, an based on how many you shoot you can get rewards similar to the old snow piles, this way you can get your tags.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Afraid you are wrong.

I believe range markers (and missions in general and the Foundry in particular) are a mix of server side and client side voodoo and also could not accurately distinguish who won in a race.

In particular, I think devs are unlikely to comment because acknowledging exactly how much of the game is not server side would open the door to massive exploiting.

To be fair, this is true in many MMOs and the workarounds can be quite strange.

For example, in WoW, loot tables get generated when you enter an instance, including for items that you may not earn in that run due to chests not opening/optional parameters, etc. Also, some polymorphs are clientside in WoW and will only be apparent to people who were present on a map when a player was shapeshifted.

I may have done so creative work with game mechanics in MMOs before. Ahem. They try to gate important things server side as much as possible but are often forced to shift some things client side. This generally include physics and emotes but may extend to things like some mission states like reach markers and Foundry triggers.

Even confirming that a feature is server side can create liabilities as it then becomes possible to trick the server into inappropriately launching a bit of code by sending it an error message for something that is not an error and letting the server side code correct something that is actually correct to begin with. I may have rolled a giant skeleton in ******** as a player race once. Ahem.

Point being, what you think is server side may not be. And no dev is going to confirm what is or what isn't, in general, except to say, "That's how this works" or "We don't have the tech for that."

And I think a big part of what made Cryptic's engine attractive to PW was how it leverages clientside and serverside events in ways that are difficult to exploit but manage resources effectively for the studio. And UGC is one area where that is on full display because Foundry missions are actually run from scripts that are downloaded to your computer in some cases. The Foundry is the descendant of the demo record tool that CoH, Champs, and STO have employed that allow for player scripted cinematics to be run through the client without an internet connection. And I'm not saying that NOTHING runs through the server.

I'm saying not to assume anything is and that the brilliance of Cryptic's code is that what is and isn't run through the server may not always be what you think.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Just to provide insight into how MMOs work and giving an example that shouldn't be possible in STO (and therefore is not discussing an exploit):

Your client gets rigged to tell the server that Item #777 (which is a stack of 20 hypos) is a Jem'Hadar Attack Ship that you're trading to PlayerBob@Noname. And the server kicks in and says, "No. You can't trade that stack of 20 Jem'Hadar Attack Ships to PlayerBob@Noname because no such player exists." And so it places 20 Jem'Hadar attack ships in a stack in your inventory.

Again, the specific example shouldn't apply to STO but is an example of why MMO devs wouldn't want you to know what is clientside and what is serverside. Because what happens serverside is often a "No! That doesn't work. Let me fix that for you." Not a full set of instructions. And if players knew too much about what and how the server says "No" to or how it corrects, hacking could become prevalent.

But in general in MMOs, a lot of what happens server side is a "No. Let me fix this bad thing your client is telling you or trying to do", not a full set of instructions.
  • Options
    irishcaptain007irishcaptain007 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I would definitely like an alternative to the racing to get epohh tags. Last hear I didn't really know what an epohh was during the winter so I didnt care. Maybe they can some how add it to the gingerbread man event. That event is much more fun than the race.
  • Options
    sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    This would be totally awesome if it were the Easter event.
  • Options
    mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I do the race just fine without hopping, twirling, flipping, etc. I typically toggle my ice boots on and off at turns. You just need to find what works for you. I also look for less busy instances so I'm not competing with 9 or 10 people, doesn't always work but it helps. Late at night is good as well for eastern U.S. people, last night I was running the race with one other person. The flags also spawn in the same place every time, so if you see you aren't going to be first then make sure you are heading to the left to get second or third.

It took me some time to get boots on 7 of my people but I have epohhs started on all of them in one day of play.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • Options
    stormk1ttenstormk1tten Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I would really like to see an alternative way to earn tags too.
    It seems like a bad choice to me to put a Doff Mission event (which I think I would really enjoy) locked behind a PvP action event. Those two types of events will often appeal to different people.
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I also haven't had any problems getting tags without hopping. One of the things that helps is to go for where you thing the second place flag will be if you're not guaranteed first. I've picked up second place several times, even though I was 4th, because everyone else was going for the first place flag. Also, doing 2-3 person races helps, too.
  • Options
    tiriusavarotiriusavaro Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    swamarian wrote: »
    One of the things that helps is to go for where you thing the second place flag will be if you're not guaranteed first. I've picked up second place several times, even though I was 4th, because everyone else was going for the first place flag.
    I've done this too. It's strange they didn't choose to put all 3 flags in the same spot, because 2 and 3 are much closer together than 1 and 2. I've even broken off sprints for 1st place just because I knew I've never get back in time for 2nd if I lost out on 1st...

Personally, I don't have much issue with the limited availability of tags. You get some even if you don't win the PvP race just for taking part (provided you don't go off the track), and with 4 races per hour, you don't need that much time to get your daily 6 tags.
    Vice Admiral Tirius Avara'o | U.S.S. Mistral (Fleet Star Cruiser)
    Vice Admiral Mathrias | U.S.S. Utrecht (Blockade Runner Retrofit)
    Vide Admiral Kyurin | U.S.S. Cairhien (Fleet Dreadnought Cruiser)
    Vice Admiral Kiarl Leftrin | U.S.S. Aegir (Fleet Recon Science Vessel)
    --= Starfleet Strategic Command =--
  • Options
    rakhohl#4803 rakhohl Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I have to agree with the OP. I would really like to see a non-PVP way to earn tags. I certainly don't advocate removing the F&F for those who enjoy it, but there are many of us who don't enjoy competing against other players. Maybe adding a second daily to the Fastest Game on Ice for 6 tags would be a simple solution.
    lljAN7v.png
  • Options
    oneandonlyrecceoneandonlyrecce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The thing about the PvP Ice race that I really hate is that when you are in the lead the whole way, the finish line is in sight, and you realise that the 1st place flag isn't there, it's the 2nd place flag.

Either the race glitches or someone has found an exploit.
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Keep the race. The tears of everyone who can't figure out how to do it (even though it's childishly easy) or who can't wrap their minds around the fact that you haven't "won" until you've grabbed a flag, are delicious.

Give the QQ crowd an alternative, sure- but please, don't take this pinnacle of entertainment out.
  • Options
    mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The thing about the PvP Ice race that I really hate is that when you are in the lead the whole way, the finish line is in sight, and you realise that the 1st place flag isn't there, it's the 2nd place flag.

Either the race glitches or someone has found an exploit.

This is a bug/exploit that the devs are working on fixing. Needless to say people have found a way to cheat before you get to the flag.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • Options
    cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    jetwtf wrote: »
    I prefered the Summer event and getting the eggs.

To ppl like me, that dont live inside the game, the winter event system is the best one by far.

1) Is the only part in STO that awards the best player (common thing in succefull MMOs)
    2) I know that if I play well, ok or bad I will get 12, 6, 3 or 2 tags. In the summer event you could spend the hold day and get only one Egg because it was random.
    3) Is a dam challenge, beside PVP and no win scenario, maybe the only challenge in this game.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2013
    jetwtf wrote: »
    I prefered the Summer event and getting the eggs. By day 2 I had 11 of em in inventory, 1 hatched and being raised, and 1 being hatched, end of the first week and all 7 of my characters had every stage of the birds being worked on. Winter event and I have 1 being raised, 1 just started and enough for 1 more before I decided its not worth it to have to do 3 races for 1 epohh. It's not fun to do and I dislike having a chance to take first place but miss the flag just so second place can grab it.

You complain about anything that seems a bit hard in the game. A couple of months ago it was tac console prices and now it's Epohh tags. The race occurs twice every hour, and running it well is pretty easy. The problem is most players hate doing STO ground related things and when they do they find it hard. What you need is some practice. You get 1st place, you get two days worth of tags which is more than enough. Even 2nd place gets you tags to do the daily.