Install Arc
Options

The Winter Event is Live! [Please see the "Winter Event Ending Soon" thread]

Comments

• Options
    wayofderawayofdera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Bugs?

1) Cannot enter Gingerbread map. When loading map get error message: "could not find map names" error and then character is put back to Romulan Command center.

2) Official for race will not recognize my character most of the time.
  • Options
    aelrhianaaelrhiana Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Tell them to have the lady that did the voiceover for the winter epohh researcher in the winter wonderland to re-record the lines. She pronounces 'Epohh' incorrectly and it's getting on my nerves. (don't ask why because I don't know, it just drives me crazy)

She is pronouncing it as 'eh-poe'. It is suppose to be pronounced as 'eee-poe', according to you yourself last year.

A thread from December 2012 discussing how to pronounce it and here was your reply:

And also "On Screen episode 1" with you and Whit in a video talking about the then new winter epohhs last year http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=789771

Actually...if you want the correct Romulan pronunciation, it is as she says it now. ee-poe, in the Romulan tongue would imply the creature's designation begins with the letter "I." If you want this from a Romulan PoV...it is correct as it is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    theonetruetomtheonetruetom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    To summarize:

Gingerbread Invasion is broken, either spits you back out saying you're not a part of the group or just logs you off the server after failing to load a couple times

Race official's activation area is ridiculously small, and sometimes he tells you violated the rules before the race starts (apparently, I haven't seen this bug yet)

And my personal pet peeve: Why DEARGOD why can't I use F to activate the pies, just like everything else that requires activation? Seriously. I can't get more than 8 pies because either the UI doesn't recognize my clicks on the buttons (which are in the wrong place, btw) or I get shoved out of the way by another player, or I try to eat a pie past the NPC standing there like a knot on a log and get stuck. Seriously. It's not gamebreaking to allow button spamming for 2 minutes out of every 15. The worst that could happen is the exchange is flooded with holiday ornaments, transferring the money from the hands of players who have waaaaaaaay more of it than others, to players who have pitiful amounts. Dropping the loot cap on the Foundry means more money's in the economy anyway, and it's not like Risa where the stuff was all new and moved TONS of money around on the first day.

Also, the usual complaints about lag etc that always happen in busy zones.
  • Options
    hann1blehann1ble Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    To Dev Staff,

So I have to say.. I dont know a single working adult that can log in 25 days consecutively to do these activities...

So I just wanted to say Cryptic thanks for the thought but that blows.... and kids / scrubs enjoy playing the game we flip the bills for.

Furthermore, Its sad cryptic or pwe whoever it is anymore that you obviously don't consider or care about the people that keep the lights on when you made this event. Shame on you.

As usual,
    A disappointed community member.
  • Options
    pennylongpennylong Member Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Until they fix it private queue for ginger bread invasion it works every time.
  • Options
    theonetruetomtheonetruetom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    This is true. But my main concern is that F doesn't work on pies. It's super annoying.
  • Options
    kurgan2001kurgan2001 Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    hann1ble wrote: »
    To Dev Staff,

So I have to say.. I dont know a single working adult that can log in 25 days consecutively to do these activities...

So I just wanted to say Cryptic thanks for the thought but that blows.... and kids / scrubs enjoy playing the game we flip the bills for.

Furthermore, Its sad cryptic or pwe whoever it is anymore that you obviously don't consider or care about the people that keep the lights on when you made this event. Shame on you.

As usual,

Takes less than 5 mins to do the race, otherwise buy keys - open lockboxes for lobi - spend lobi on Q appreciation boxes, or just don't do it. If you can't budget 5 mins each day then that's your fault, not Cryptic's.
  • Options
    hann1blehann1ble Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    kurgan2001 wrote: »
    Takes less than 5 mins to do the race, otherwise buy keys - open lockboxes for lobi - spend lobi on Q appreciation boxes, or just don't do it. If you can't budget 5 mins each day then that's your fault, not Cryptic's.

Its not supposed to be a do or die, its supposed to be fun. Im just stateing for the vast amount of players that cannot make an appearance for any amount of time for 25 days for an event slightly longer than a month is by design excluding players that have jobs... Now as far as the having money part... To expect someone to hand it over obscenely is obsurde and takes focus off of the design of the event.

This is a winter event for fun and game items, not a "can I spend every day of the next month in STO or throw money at something like a fool". I think that anyone else that works will have the same problem. As I'm sure we would all like to be able to participate to that degree but to throw money at an event planned to exclude people that make the money doesnt make sense to me and causes a level of frustration.

I think that making future events in this manner will be problematic as it by nature excludes the "paying portion" of the player base. I would encourage a method which maybe requires a commitment from the player, amounts of e-creds for example. This would require a commitment from the player as e-creds = players time. Than their level of involvement over time becomes more of an issue than can they make an appointment for 15 minutes for 25 days.
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited December 2013
    So are the frosted boots a use once item now?

No, they are permanent.
    25 days consecutively to do these activities...

It doesn't have to be consecutive. You have 35+ (closer to 40) days, and need to complete it 25 of those, or supplement with packages purchased from the Lobi store.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    cokebearcokebear Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I think that making future events in this manner will be problematic as it by nature excludes the "paying portion" of the player base. I would encourage a method which maybe requires a commitment from the player, amounts of e-creds for example. This would require a commitment from the player as e-creds = players time. Than their level of involvement over time becomes more of an issue than can they make an appointment for 15 minutes for 25 days.

Wow. I am staggered by this response.

FYI, these events have been taking place in this format for a couple of years now, and I don't ever recall anyone making any kind of complaint like this.

I'm not sure exactly what you are doing playing this game at all if you don't have the time to play it, but really, given that it is a brief "mission" that needs to be done 25 out of 40ish days non-consecutively, I don't think you really have a leg to stand on.

I have multiple characters (7) and in the past have been able to find the time to run the races necessary to complete the requirements for the special rewards investing under an hour a day - not per character, but IN TOTAL.

This isn't "unfair" or excluding the paying portion of the playerbase, and to say so seems to suggest a level of entitlement that is almost unprecedented on a server rife with people with entitlement issues.

Seriously, WOW!
  • Options
    odyssey47odyssey47 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    To Dev Staff,

As usual,

I'm a working adult and I work more than 40 hours a week and have time to do this. As with everything in this game, you can earn it by spending time or money. Definitely bad taste to complain about something that is free. Honestly, your complaint doesn't make any sense. The time it took you to complain you could've had day one of earning your free ship completed.
  • Options
    ktetchktetch Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    To Dev Staff,

As usual,

What am I? steamed Grits?

I have not one, not two, but THREE jobs, and I managed it just fine last year (including a bunch of time spent NOT at home) and have been flying my chet ever since.

I've already made a start with 2 of my 3 done before they took it down (so my rom will be a day behind) and thats DESPITE today being a far busier than normal day today (Election in Manchester to work on, oh, and a result in a court case I've been working on)

Worst case, I set all my graphics to lowest and run it on my 4yo laptop with intel graphics, and just do the race (and nothing else)
  • Options
    ambassadormolariambassadormolari Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    One thing I am curious about, it was mentioned that the Q signed autographs needed to get the free ship can be bought through the Lobi store. Will that only be for the duration of the winter event, though?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ngonorrheangonorrhea Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    ktetch wrote: »
    What am I? steamed Grits?

I have not one, not two, but THREE jobs, and I managed it just fine last year (including a bunch of time spent NOT at home) and have been flying my chet ever since.

I've already made a start with 2 of my 3 done before they took it down (so my rom will be a day behind) and thats DESPITE today being a far busier than normal day today (Election in Manchester to work on, oh, and a result in a court case I've been working on)

Worst case, I set all my graphics to lowest and run it on my 4yo laptop with intel graphics, and just do the race (and nothing else)

I wouldn't take too much offense to this guy here. He obviously didn't read the blog, or he'd know that the event runs for nearly 40 days, leaving approximately 2 weeks' worth of wiggle room for family obligations and holidays and whatnot.

Like you, I work a metric TRIBBLE-ton of hours. As a scientist, I don't have set 9-5 hours, plus an hour-long commute each way, leaves me precious little time to grind.

But yet, where there's a will, there's a way.
  • Options
    cem3212cem3212 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I will certainly be enjoying this Q's Winter Wonderland event & attempting to participate as much as possible. The Breen ship is an excellent & generous reward for such a fun activity. I state Breen ship but both are possible to acquire I guess. The Nanopulse Lirpa/Bat'leth sounds like something else I'll try to obtain. My complaint is that it seems rather stingy compared to most of the other PWE recent generous actions by only allowing 2-6 lobi per Q's Appreciation Package. Then again I am not a Lock Box gambler so am not too familiar with the odds of this or similar activities. I had hoped to be able to acquire both Breen ships since I wasn't a player last year when this event was offered. I know it sounds greedy of me & I definitely agree that those whom played last year deserve some sort of extra perk for that loyalty.
    If my math is correct based upon available (35) days then let's say: (40) autographs per day for (35) days equals (1400) autographs. A Breen ship is (1000) autographs per ship leaving a player a (600) autographs deficit for acquiring both Breen ships. Allowing the option of the Q's Appreciation Package seems like a nice option for allowing newer players a method of catching up in a way for such nice events. These packages offer 2-6 autographs per opening it says. I might be too much of a jadded pragmatist but I do my math based upon the lowest variable ... (2). Being (600) autographs short of the desire to acquire both ships means I would have to open, at most, (300) packages requiring (1500) lobi. If i needed another whole (1000) autographs it would be, at most, (2500). Then again I do not need both ships, the probability that each package would only contain (2) autographs is minimal but possible, even though I will attempt to participate everyday I may not be able to, & that given the fact I only have (578) lobi would make my math a moot point I believe anyways unless there is a current method of acquiring more lobi & then it is based upon each player's weighing of value whether or not it is worth the effort & investment. Don't "Lobi" ships only cost (800) lobi afterall? Not to enter the whole F2P/P2P arena arguement, but this is one case where I definitely wish they allowed a Zen option. After the recent, very generous, lobi gifting event I was prepared to use my new lobi for such an event, that is until I did the math which might be incorrect. After that the value of acquiring both ships seems too steep. Now to decide which ship to choose later.
  • Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    ktetch wrote: »
    I have not one, not two, but THREE jobs,
    My hats off to you sir, I admire a hardworking man. I hope you find some time to enjoy the season.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    chairmanmeowmixchairmanmeowmix Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm enjoying this event so far, especially the new additions. What I don't like is the fact that the snow piles do not contain any event commodities.
  • Options
    sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    So yesterday i raced my 1st char and lag almost made me slide off the track because the avatar was not responding to commands, just sliding ballistic in its virtual 'inertia'. After seizing a victory from that near debacle, i tried a 2nd char. Lag made it difficult to reach Q in ESD, and again to reach the Race Coordinator. I Exited after accepting the mission.

So today i'm gonna try again and hope for better luck.
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
  • Options
    arghdeadedarghdeaded Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Summer event was better. The race is terrible, something that is supposed to be in the spirit of joy shouldn't cause that much frustration. And I'm not rewarding bad design by using lobi for the Breen ship. It's not worth it. And the Winter Invasion should have its difficulty toned down as well, especially since I've had teams just up and quit at the snow baron, I no longer want to run it. I'll stick with the rest of the game, Winter Event needs serious work,

To the rest of you who do like the race or are suffering through it, kudos to you I hope you enjoy the ship.
  • Options
    zurganuszurganus Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Feedback time!

Overall I like the event, theres only a few things I could point at and wonder what yall were thinking, such as:

1. The recipe in Winter Invasion. Only one person can get it, so that means as soon as the gate opens people rush past all the snowmen to get to the recipe and then those who can jump better than others get it before anyone else can. IMO this is a flaw in the design.

2. The fact people DONT KNOW that having a snowgun makes Winter Invasion easier.

Believe me I am not angry at all, just frustrated. IMO the recipe should be available to all, not just one.
  • Options
    aelrhianaaelrhiana Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The main race is still bugged for some. I went to the race coordinator to begin my run, signaled...and failed without even being transported to the track.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I want to say thanks for the new scarfs. I bought one for my Romulan after I got the items for it. And it fits her outfit well that she has on currently. And its fitting she has one, since I had one when I first created her. Now I have one that can be used better.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    willdekaywilldekay Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I started the Q's Winterfest on the second day thanks to patching nightmares and my first day of doing the Rescue the Gingerbread Colony 90% of the time one player takes off and leaves the rest of us to battle the snowmen while they get an exclusive hidden gift.

Leaving the group to pursue a selfish gain is rude and unsportsman like, but then why include this dynamic into the game in the first place. I have no idea which is why I originally posted this on the game issues board but for some reason it was removed.

My wife, who is a programmer, said the hidden gift was probably added to give the mission a bit of variety and there's no way they could have foreseen single players breaking ranks to get to it first. I say hogwash, but a simple fix is activate the package AFTER the main boss is dead. You get your variety and the only people who race for it are the people who want it, but you now get a well oiled group dynamic the entire run.

Flame me or agree with me, I just wish someone had brought this up before launch. My wife says the mere fact that there's a glitch where everyone gets a notice they have discovered a hidden recipe is proof it was a late add and barely tested. I just hope they either get rid of it or activate the gift AFTER boss death because that's the only thing that makes sense to me if you want to treat players equally and encourage the same from one another.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    To Dev Staff,

As usual,

Your wrong on this. I work 40 hours a week, plus family. I can manage to log on a few minutes for something. I did that last year to get my Breen cruiser. And I can do it again. Only ones I see having issue is the ones leaving to be with family for Christmas week, then that can hurt your progress. Which did happen last year.

If you have time to watch TV, surf the net, etc. Then you can log on for a few mins to do the race or something at the event.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    thatscifiguythatscifiguy Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I frequently can't throw snowballs and have to constantly unequip and reequip them.

The Fast and the Flurrious race is a joke. I'm constantly being failed on it when I'm on where near the edge of the track let alone off of it.

I know its just an extra little thing to do but after a long absence I have been trying to get back into the game and its like bugs everywhere I turn with this holiday event is symptomatic of the frustration I have faced trying to play.
  • Options
    f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    zurganus wrote: »
    Feedback time!

Overall I like the event, theres only a few things I could point at and wonder what yall were thinking, such as:

1. The recipe in Winter Invasion. Only one person can get it, so that means as soon as the gate opens people rush past all the snowmen to get to the recipe and then those who can jump better than others get it before anyone else can. IMO this is a flaw in the design.

2. The fact people DONT KNOW that having a snowgun makes Winter Invasion easier.

Believe me I am not angry at all, just frustrated. IMO the recipe should be available to all, not just one.

Yeah ... I have yet to get the recipe and lose overall only when I'm toting the only gun.

So x2 on what you said.
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • Options
    sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    aelrhiana wrote: »
    The main race is still bugged for some. I went to the race coordinator to begin my run, signaled...and failed without even being transported to the track.

I had this problem yesterday! I waved to the Race Coordinator/Ref and was acknowledged as being in the race but someone else came up and waved him as i was still waving; they got teleported to the Starting Line and I wasn't. I was automatically disqualified for being off the track. I'm getting the impression this happens way more than is reported, most likely due to player disgust or no more time.

Also lag not only made control of my chars difficult, ; all that i accomplished took 4x to 5x as long as it should have.

Also a concern; Romulans have No Hub at Levels 5-10! So they have to wait until Lv 9 or 10 to reach Q?
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    yeah Romulans seem to need to go to their ally's base to see Q.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    quasar0541quasar0541 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    As I can see the new accolades have a "2013" in the logo, the old ones from last year only the picture without a year. Does this mean the accolades are only this year available, and I cannot complete it next year if I haven't finshed it this year winter event completly? :confused:
This discussion has been closed.