test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fastest Game on Ice

ficrficr Member Posts: 235 Arc User
edited December 2013 in The Academy
How do you win? If I run, I end up out of bounds. If I walk a NPC wins.

Ex-CoH players, Please add the chat channel "CoX STO"
Post edited by ficr on

Comments

• Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Run the straight stretches, if you think your going out of bound, roll for traction
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    You'll want to use your strafing keys (sideways movement) to compensate for the slippery snow. Default is Q and E, I believe. Example, if you have to turn right, start using the "E" key before you have to turn.

I usually have my left hand on the left and right strafing keys and use the mouse to turn.

I don't know if the snow boots help, I never tried them. Didn't feel like I needed them.
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Thanks for the tips.

Still not able to win but was able to improve enough to see the NPC cross the finish line before me.

I give up.

• Options
    bds007bds007 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It takes a little practice, but you can do it. Another tip: if you feel you are sliding out of bounds jump [Space] without any other movement buttons/mouse and you will immediately stop.

There are also some shortcuts you can do that both help in traction and cut out some of the track because walking on snow has more friction than ice. But be careful, go too far on the snow and you will get disqualified too.

This is my third year doing this event, so it is almost muscle memory now. But it took me time to get the hang of it too. Don't give up.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Activate shooter mode (not aiming mode) for better steering, when you think you are about to overshoot a turn simply roll into the direction you need go, it will automatically stop the slide and roll you into the direction you chose. However it also cancels your running so you need quickly re-activate running, and lose the boots because they make it harder to gain traction despite the speed increase being useful unless you really like a challenge.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    bumblebushbumblebush Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Yeah, you can always practice the courses when the events arent going on.

And usually what I do is double tap to dive when im about to go out of bounds. It will save you from being disqualified, but at the same time it will stop your movement and loose a few seconds of the race.

But what alot of players say and do is, try to only run the straight paths and slow down when your about to corner, and kinda like drift around them.

Good luck and fun in Wonderland. :)

DeepSpace 9 Federation Operative
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "This is Fleet Commander BumBle!..
    Vice Admiral of the U.S.S. Prometheus!..
    I order you to lower your shields and weapons or ill be forced to fire upon you!!!"
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Here's some tips and things I learned about the ice races...

1. Mix run and walk. You don't slide quite as bad if you let up off your "W" key so that you "downshift" to walking instead of running, then hit shift again to start the run when you've made the turn...

2. Turn early. Think drift racing - you'll slide sideways before you actually bite into the turn...

3. Cut corners some - right after the first straightaway, and just before the final hairpin turn, there are a couple sets of "s" curves that you can actually barrel straight through, only turning once instead of three or four times. Take advantage of these and run straight through them instead of walk/turning them...

Personally, I mix one and two a lot - I'll run straight at a hairpin, I've more-or-less learned where to let up on the run and just about a half second later I'll start turning so that I wrap up my slide and start biting into the turn, at which point I'll run again if even for a second to help make the turn...

Always remember, roll or jump will kill any slide, just remember to do it early enough to avoid jumping out of bounds...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    tardes13tardes13 Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    double tap to dive

What does this mean ?
  • Options
    bumblebushbumblebush Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    tardes13 wrote: »
    What does this mean ?

Assuming your default key to walk/run forward is W, then just double tap the W key to dive forward.
    And the same for the other movement keys.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "This is Fleet Commander BumBle!..
    Vice Admiral of the U.S.S. Prometheus!..
    I order you to lower your shields and weapons or ill be forced to fire upon you!!!"
  • Options
    galadimangaladiman Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    bumblebush wrote: »
    Assuming your default key to walk/run forward is W, then just double tap the W key to dive forward.
    And the same for the other movement keys.

This is the key, for me. The acceleration time is nothing compared to the difficulty of the 'drift' method.

Also, keep this important thing in mind: the first 'apparent' finish line is NOT the actual finish line.
    Look RIGHT.
    There is more to the course than you might think.
    Please reconsider ARC. Please make it optional, at the least. PLEASE.
    It seems the vast majority of your most active players (forum regulars) hate the idea... and while that's a small subset of the playerbase, I think it's an important constituency.
    THE PLAYERS DO NOT WANT THIS.
  • Options
    zinfyndaelzinfyndael Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The race also appears to be using Newtonian physics. (Think Battlestar Galactica)

It works best in FPS mode. When you run, think of yourself flying a spacecraft instead of actually running on foot. When you take a turn, aim the opposite direction of your slide (thrusting your jets the opposite way you are flying) It will then slow you down and you will start moving the other direction. Use the A and D keys to adjust your Yaw.

Once I found this out, I can usually win the race 99% of the time. There is always that odd race where the "slipperyness" just seems like it is wacked out and the physics doesn't seem to work as it should.
  • Options
    ngonorrheangonorrhea Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I ran this last year for my main plus 5 alts, and don't remember losing more than 2 races between any of them, once i got the hang of it. I use the drift method and sprint through the straightaways. Like someone said earlier, the best thing to do is to hang around the starting line and wait for a race to start. I just wait a few seconds and then follow the racer, trying to mimic their movements. If you're following a decent racer, you'll see how they do things, and then you just try to repeat it.

With enough practice, you WILL get the hang of it.
  • Options
    seannewboyseannewboy Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Actually rather than standing at the gate, i always stood back, halfway into the starting platform. Then you time your run to arrive there just as the gate goes down, it does take some practice. If you hit the gate it will stop you, if you jump over it, you will be dq'ed. Personally i had a certain spot i ran from to give a full sprint to the 1st turn, which i drifted. I almost always got 1st or 2nd.
    New home of the Romulan Republic.
    I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
    I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
    I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Run and roll. I do it so fast, I catch up sometimes to the runner ahead of me.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I won! Finally.

The "double tap" made all the difference.

• Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    even easier if you runn only in straight lines and to change direction you jump, remove all fingers from directional buttons, direct your char in the direction you want to go next, land...press ahift for sprint and "W"

doubletapping makes this easy...jumping makes it a childsplay

i hope i didn't give away too much secrets, since i still want to win the competitive race each and every time.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    predconpredcon Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I like how the dev blog says all you need to do is "participate" every day. There's a difference between "participating" and "winning". I'm not getting any credit towards the Breen ship just for losing the race.
    zinfyndael wrote: »
    The race also appears to be using Newtonian physics. (Think Battlestar Galactica)

It works best in FPS mode. When you run, think of yourself flying a spacecraft instead of actually running on foot. When you take a turn, aim the opposite direction of your slide (thrusting your jets the opposite way you are flying) It will then slow you down and you will start moving the other direction. Use the A and D keys to adjust your Yaw.

Once I found this out, I can usually win the race 99% of the time. There is always that odd race where the "slipperyness" just seems like it is wacked out and the physics doesn't seem to work as it should.

Could you explain this in Freelancer terms, lol? I'm so used to cutting the engines and drifting while dogfighting, I get what you're saying but not quite.
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I must say i dont use any special tactic, i just use the double tap slice when i need to turn in the right direction. I use that method since the first race i tried (and never played the event before in my life) it was just a question of logic :D I won 3 of 3 races so far. But not always work, you need to do the double tap in the right moment and saving as much distance as you can in the turn.
  • Options
    straengestraenge Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Also, not sure if this a bug or a "feature" but if you fail enough times, at least on all 3 of my characters, I ended up not having an opponent at all and was able to win just by not disqualifying. This has happened twice on all three so far though I haven't done the race today.
  • Options
    howiebabey82howiebabey82 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    ok i sprint on straight paths and when i see a turn i tap the w button and i will slide forward then aim my player down so my back is against the turn and keep going i also recommend doing the track a few times on ur own practice the steps mentioned i find the tapping the
    forward button works well remember also to memorize the course so you are one step ahead
    i was really stuck on this course too believe me! but i got use to it someone needs to make a video on this with annotated text at each turn
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Another tip...
    Click on your Auto Move ( I have it on mouse button 4) hit whatever you have for run (Shift button for me) and you will start running before the initial countdown is done (you start running before Breen voice says 1). You will get a head start on the NPC.

Then I hit my mouse 4 button to stop running, slide a bit and change directions, start running/walking again OR double tap W to do a forward roll if you think you're gonna end out of bounds.

Just doing that will easily get you through it.

For the final sharp S turns before the finish line, I usually have enough lead to walk around those since that's a bad spot to wipe out.
  • Options
    ekiusthumpusekiusthumpus Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Thanks for the space bar tip dude. Worked wonders.
    I still find it ridiculous that i can slide up hill on snow though.

bds007 wrote: »
    It takes a little practice, but you can do it. Another tip: if you feel you are sliding out of bounds jump [Space] without any other movement buttons/mouse and you will immediately stop.

There are also some shortcuts you can do that both help in traction and cut out some of the track because walking on snow has more friction than ice. But be careful, go too far on the snow and you will get disqualified too.

This is my third year doing this event, so it is almost muscle memory now. But it took me time to get the hang of it too. Don't give up.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    You only need to double tap when you are going to be out of bounds, you dont need even to lower the speed... i mean what i do is run, when i reach a hard turn, i double tap in the right direction and i run again.. ..

I mean, run - double tap, run - double tap and thats it..
  • Options
    dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It is only really when you get into the last corners that you may even need to come out of sprint to not go out of bounds. On the section where you are sprinting past the first bridge up to the sharp corner for example, you can just turn to the direction of the track as you pass under the bridge and by the time you have finished sliding you are in the right place to continue forward anyway without a loss of speed.

Using the snowy bits on corners also allows you to turn easier as they stop sliding so when running you always run from inside corner to inside corner.

If ever you feel the need to practise sliding get a car rally sim such as Colin Mcrae rally and you will soon get the hang of it.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • Options
    howiebabey82howiebabey82 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    dirlettia wrote: »
    It is only really when you get into the last corners that you may even need to come out of sprint to not go out of bounds. On the section where you are sprinting past the first bridge up to the sharp corner for example, you can just turn to the direction of the track as you pass under the bridge and by the time you have finished sliding you are in the right place to continue forward anyway without a loss of speed.

Using the snowy bits on corners also allows you to turn easier as they stop sliding so when running you always run from inside corner to inside corner.

If ever you feel the need to practise sliding get a car rally sim such as Colin Mcrae rally and you will soon get the hang of it.

tap once and u slide forward and avoid the pause that comes with double tap
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    lost my first match of this the first time i ran it this year, never lost last year except to out of bounds, accidently had my frost boots on so had toruble with the turns.

anyway, what i usually do is run the whole way, but when coming to corners let go of the movement button for a second to stop sprinting and quickly turn to face the direction im going to be turning to and then start running again, this method has never had me lose a race.
  • Options
    chroma01chroma01 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I tend to just get Q to polymorph me into something a little more sure-footed, like a Mastiff, Undine, or Fel'kir... might be my imagination, but it seems to help with the sliding being something other than a humanoid!

Wonder if environmental suits would help...
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    chroma01 wrote: »
    I tend to just get Q to polymorph me into something a little more sure-footed, like a Mastiff, Undine, or Fel'kir... might be my imagination, but it seems to help with the sliding being something other than a humanoid!

o_O, interesting.. lmao.
  • Options
    variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    chroma01 wrote: »

I've tried it, they don't.
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    If you get frustrated just dq yourself and go back usually after 3 or 4 dqs you dont get an opponent.

I have done this on at least 2 of my alts on a daily basis since this started.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck