test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

huh...why don't I feel the need to log on to the game?

patrickngopatrickngo Member Posts: 9,954 Arc User
edited December 2013 in Klingon Discussion
A rather puzzling phenomena and I can't explain it, but...

I don't feel like playing since Season 8 went live.

I'm not sure why.

I just...don't.

I logged on on Opening Day, actually got in, puttered around a few of the 'new content' missions, but didn't feel driven to stay.

at all.

not even to support my Fleet.

Just...this enormous Apathy.

An apathy that's been growing since...oh, yeah, since Legacy of Romulus came out and I walked through the new Klingon Tutorial content.

yeah, that's it.

No, wait, that's NOT it.

Oh! that's right, this was supposed to be the awesomething that justified ****canning the first new KDF C-store ship in three years.

Only it's not an Awesomething.

it's...boring.

*Yawn* more Fedcentric Romulan stuffs, with Barney-packin'-lazors.

well...maybe later, after the bugfixes are done (sheeah, right) they'll maybe think about having something interesting, or desirable.

right now, it feels a bit like we've seen them sacrifice something good, to make something mediocre.

am I wrong? anyone else feeling like this?
Nature doesn't HAVE to be nice, or polite.

Free Hong Kong.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    timezargtimezarg Member Posts: 1,268
    edited November 2013
    I feel like this, kinda. It's why I haven't logged in for almost a month or so. I suppose my fleet's wondering where I am.

I'm cooling off from the game, and just posting on the forums here. Dunno when I'll be back to playing. I haven't seen the Avenger (still ticked off at it, though), haven't seen any of the Season 8 stuff, etc. . .and I don't feel particularly motivated to see it.

Maybe if they bother to buff the BoPs in the next 1-2 months, that'll spur me back into playing. That's something that would interest me, as a BoP player. Or maybe if they introduce more KDF-specific content, though that feels rather unlikely.

Yeah, I'm feeling apathetic towards the game. Probably another burnout on the game, that would be the 3rd one I've had. Been here since late 2011, I think.
    tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp
  • Options
    pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm enjoying S8 a bit. I've done the breach a few times, done that other one a couple, done the space zone a bit, and done a bit of ground zone. And I feel like S8 is done, a matter of days in. :(
    Maybe LoR was untoppable? I know its comparing an expansion to an update, but, I hope its not too too long till moar stuff. While the developers are never going to be able to keep up with content consumption, it would have been nice to have a few more story missions which weren't hidden behind the rep system.
    I thought there was going to be some upset over the Romulan/ Klingon front with this season or is that coming later again?
  • Options
    ijimithyijimithy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Being bluntly honest here, I was never expecting S8 to be the best new content in the world its a FTP MMO so they need to do things that make themselves money. The new content is good and entertaining but like every possible game/thing you do in life it will get boring for some that is sooner than others and if your on a burnout road you will ultimately burn out just to go back to it at some later point I've done that with other MMO's and its a normal cycle.

S8 is fun though, the breach is one hell of a mission and I think its one of the best things they've come out with in a while. Ground Combat is also good, running around punching dinos in the face then roflstoming a V-Rex on any toon is great I just want a V-Rex Mount to walk around on!

Give the developers time and be patient its hard developing a game while short staffed and probably underpaid. It's like being annoyed at the only cashier in the shop because they had to go and clean something in an aisle when its really the stores fault for not having someone to help. They will have new stuff coming out its just a matter of time :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    No Drama, No Fuss, Just good old fashioned pew pew!
  • Options
    captainaramdacaptainaramda Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Do you really want to know the secret to avoiding apathy? Not on for STO but for any game?

Quit playing it non-stop for 16-24 hours a day!!! As with anything in real life, the more often you see, say, feel, hear, taste, etc etc. the more bland it gets. Problem solved.

If I'm lucky, I get to play for about 6 hours a WEEK. Find yourself a hobby, play other games, go outside and socialize....you know in person, not by internet.
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Do you really want to know the secret to avoiding apathy? Not on for STO but for any game?

Quit playing it non-stop for 16-24 hours a day!!! As with anything in real life, the more often you see, say, feel, hear, taste, etc etc. the more bland it gets. Problem solved.

If I'm lucky, I get to play for about 6 hours a WEEK. Find yourself a hobby, play other games, go outside and socialize....you know in person, not by internet.

What is this 'outside' you speak of? Is it a new zone?

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Oh dear, that's horrible. I hope the UN Security Council has been alerted so this crisis can be dealt with...
    <3
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I understand the burnout, but I am actually enjoying S8 so far.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    captainaramdacaptainaramda Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    I understand the burnout, but I am actually enjoying S8 so far.

From the little bit I've been able to play, I totally agree with you. So far, it's been fun.
  • Options
    projectfrontierprojectfrontier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Dude, some people played for 10 minutes and found themselves uninstalling the game.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Scripted content is only fresh the firt time through. It will turn into end-game-grind content for the players faster than it took to develop.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Scripted content is only fresh the firt time through. It will turn into end-game-grind content for the players faster than it took to develop.

True but then all content does.

R.I.P
  • Options
    wolfexile1wolfexile1 Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Dude, some people played for 10 minutes and found themselves uninstalling the game.

Some people did the same with...

Skyrim

WoW

SWTOR

etc, etc.
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    wolfexile1 wrote: »
    WoW

Took me twenty five minutes.

Because that's how long the first fetch quest took.
    <3
  • Options
    szioulszioul Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The quest chain you unlock with the new reputation, doesn't really work for klingons though.

I mean, really Kaol? You think a Klingon is the best to choice to conduct a secret diplomatic correspondence with someone inside the enemy, who's concerned about the military involvement on both sides?
  • Options
    starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I don't suppose that S8 is for everyone. It certainly isn't for me, but I am glad that some people at least are liking it because I want this game to succeed.

I really liked Sphere of Influence, but the Dyson Sphere just doesn't do anything for me. It's running around and shooting things. I much preferred New Romulus, and the way the planet was laid out. You could go explore, it felt like Star Trek, and you could take your time with New Romulus, but not with this. It seems like you just run around and shoot stuff or fly around chasing circles on your map that half the time don't trigger anything. :o

I'm finding S8 a bit of a chore and I think I'm turning anti-Federation too, because their take on the situation is too militaristic for my tastes.
  • Options
    kozar2kozar2 Member Posts: 602 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    OP I felt the exact same. I used to login daily even if it was just to refine dil, in the last 6 days today is just my second login and it's for dil. Will be out in 10 minutes. Going forward I imagine it will be even less.

Dear Cryptic.

I don't need more grinds. I'd love it if you put your time into making sets of missions instead of a big pretty sphere that has no real purpose.

Signed bored player (even though I don't play much now)
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I don't suppose that S8 is for everyone. It certainly isn't for me, but I am glad that some people at least are liking it because I want this game to succeed.

I really liked Sphere of Influence, but the Dyson Sphere just doesn't do anything for me. It's running around and shooting things. I much preferred New Romulus, and the way the planet was laid out. You could go explore, it felt like Star Trek, and you could take your time with New Romulus, but not with this. It seems like you just run around and shoot stuff or fly around chasing circles on your map that half the time don't trigger anything. :o

I'm finding S8 a bit of a chore and I think I'm turning anti-Federation too, because their take on the situation is too militaristic for my tastes.

Wow, you actually described exactly how I feel. Very well put.
    I also prefer New Romulus much more than S8, this one just doesn't give out that distinguished Star Trek vibe to me.
    And yeah, Cryptic's take on the Federation has always been way too cowboy style and militarized, but lately it just gets more and more disconected from the one in the shows and that's a real pitty. More or less every other franchise or game has such portrayal of the Human species, Star Trek's Federation was something very different in that regard and a very disticnt trademark of the IP. This was the chance to do something different.

To the OP: I supose it's just an overburn although only you can know that. I know I'm starting to feel a bit like that myself lately. Maybe taking a short break from STO will get you more enthusiastic about playing when you come back.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    urniv821urniv821 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    feiqa wrote: »

Haha! This made me laugh out loud. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Your Javelin deals 125417 (89066) Disruptor Damage(Critical) to Tholian Recluse. > lol
  • Options
    galadimangaladiman Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Some people think Ice Cream is disgusting and that a thick, juicy medium-rare NY Strip steak is 'murder'. I fall into neither of those camps.

You can respect a person's right to like or not like something, without agreeing with their feelings about that thing.

I for one love the new content, though I wish I could play more to enjoy it... on the other hand, I'm pretty sure if I played 18/7, I'd loathe it, like anything else I did for that much time.

So my advice? Enjoy some fresh air, see a movie, talk to another living, breathing human person in the same room, and you'll likely come back refreshed. Or not... and that would not be the end of the world, either. It's a game, a shared pastime, not a way of life. GLHF!
    Please reconsider ARC. Please make it optional, at the least. PLEASE.
    It seems the vast majority of your most active players (forum regulars) hate the idea... and while that's a small subset of the playerbase, I think it's an important constituency.
    THE PLAYERS DO NOT WANT THIS.
  • Options
    galadimangaladiman Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited November 2013

From what I understand, and what little I have experienced, There is TONS of story and exploration to do in the space area of the sphere. (Distinct from New Romulus, where there was TONS of story and exploration on the planet. Funny that... one focuses ground, the other space. Hmm. I sense a wily method in the madness...)

New DOFF missions that are sneaky and pop up in hard-to-find locations, mini-missions in the 'atmosphere', combat to hold the towers... it's a veritable cornucopia of action and new things!!! Feel however you will about it, but there's plenty of content I have never seen before in STO. I'm gamey.
    Please reconsider ARC. Please make it optional, at the least. PLEASE.
    It seems the vast majority of your most active players (forum regulars) hate the idea... and while that's a small subset of the playerbase, I think it's an important constituency.
    THE PLAYERS DO NOT WANT THIS.
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    had the same exact feeling as the OP...but i know the reason: i got defiance from steam for 5 bucks.
    so myight be some time until i get back to STO...

also LOTRO is releasing huge content patch this week, gotta check that out too!
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited November 2013
    Season 8 has been for the most part a Jurassic Meh. And I feel your apathy.

The lead-in episode with Michael Dorn, aside from the plot and story ripped from Stargate Universe, was excellent. The Obelisk is a good cheap ship.

The Battlezone was neat the first few time we tried it, but after taking the same points for the umpteenth time for a mere pittance in rewards - I'm back to grinding the Borg STF's.

The Breech is an above average STF. Its fun to play and a good addition to the STF grindfest, but only for Spire/Sphere rep missions. I'm grinding this out on 2 toons, and will grandfather in the rest with sponsor tokens. I think... So far this is the best 'new mechanics' added.

The ground mission 'Battlezone' reminds me of games I played as a kid. Super Mario Bros..... running for coins and power ups.

I walked away from STO for 6 days, in part for a holiday. Didn't miss it one bit. And that's a first. I don't care about being first with rep. I don't care about the new ships. And as for the Spire - yawn. Nothing earth-shattering 'must have' here.

No new shiney's to keep me interested.
  • Options
    rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited November 2013

THERE IS AN OUTSIDE!!!
    I sawn it!!!
    It has a big bright thing higher than the house that hurts your eyes if you looks at it!!

But yeah, OP, S8 doesn't inspire me either.
    I'm patiently waiting for the Winter Event though...
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    rezking wrote: »
    THERE IS AN OUTSIDE!!!
    I sawn it!!!
    It has a big bright thing higher than the house that hurts your eyes if you looks at it!!

But yeah, OP, S8 doesn't inspire me either.
    I'm patiently waiting for the Winter Event though...

But the air smells funny out there....

R.I.P
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    We all get burned out from time to time. That is when its time to do something else for a while, then come back or don't come back. Other factor is how much time you put into a game per week. The ones who log on hours upon hours do tend to burn out faster, or fuss about lack of content. However I took a different approach to this game. I only log on a 2-4 hours per week. So I don't have time to burn out on it. And I'm in no rush when I do get on. So I don't feel like I'm pushed to keep up etc. Therefor I hadn't got close to burning out yet.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    galadiman wrote: »
    From what I understand, and what little I have experienced, There is TONS of story and exploration to do in the space area of the sphere. (Distinct from New Romulus, where there was TONS of story and exploration on the planet. Funny that... one focuses ground, the other space. Hmm. I sense a wily method in the madness...)

New DOFF missions that are sneaky and pop up in hard-to-find locations, mini-missions in the 'atmosphere', combat to hold the towers... it's a veritable cornucopia of action and new things!!! Feel however you will about it, but there's plenty of content I have never seen before in STO. I'm gamey.
    You should go console collecting in the ground battlezone. not only do you get an accolade for finding them all, but you learn a bunch of things about the guys who built the Solanae Dyson Sphere.

But it's not an easy task, only a true warrior has the strength, courage, and tenacity to find them all. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited November 2013

I think there's a new space zone where you can fight OUTSIDE the sphere! captainaramda, how do we get to it?
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • Options
    elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Season 8 is way to easy. It is a trend in MMO development in general now where developers are afraid to put any sort of real challenge in content now so that no one gets upset and quits playing because its to difficult.

The thing they don't seem to realize though is the players who actually spend money on this game are full rep players who have been playing for a long time and that demographic is bored in a few minutes with easy content like Season 8. The story is not good enough to even remotely make up for how easy the game play is so there is absolutely no reason to get excited about anything they did in Season 8, simple as that.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    atalossataloss Member Posts: 563 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I feel the same way OP.

I've downloaded 3 Free to play games to pass the time. I'm so hurt by season 8. All it seems to be is some new ships and another adventure zone. So it's safe to say Season 9 will be the same thing (another adventure zone, more lockboxes and more new shiny ships).

No 2nd deflector slot for science ships
    No customized ship exteriors for all ships

No full ship interiors (instead of just a bridge. All that money for a lockbox ship and all I get is a bridge :(
    No love for the klingon faction

No inner ship missions for our DOFF's or us
    No real difference between the 3 character classes

No fighting off a boarding party inside our ship
    No staying on your bridge while the away team fights.

No bookmark or follow feature for the foundry
    No real crafting system

No real diplomatic missions where their will be no combat
    No end to the grinding for more gear

No helping out small fleets
    No removing the 11,000 other currencies in the game. When Zen and Dill are the two most important ones.

No real PVP where the elites (whom spent 100 million EC or more on their ships), can cut each other's throats open,...while us poor PVP rookies can battle it out. Mixing a rookie with an elite is not Player vs. Player that's called Player vs Punching bag.

No change, just the same old thing with a new coat of paint.

Though I will admit the Dyson sphere is eye candy to me, but I'm not motivated enough to want to play it, because I know it's only purpose is to make me want to grind for more space gear that isn't needed for PVE
    One day Cryptic will be free from their Perfect World overlord. Until that day comes, they will continue to pamper the whales of this game, and ignore everyone that isn't a whale.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    You should go console collecting in the ground battlezone. not only do you get an accolade for finding them all, but you learn a bunch of things about the guys who built the Solanae Dyson Sphere.

But it's not an easy task, only a true warrior has the strength, courage, and tenacity to find them all. :D

Yeah.....or perhaps a true warrior wants to participate in the storyline and not read about them as if he was reading a book. :rolleyes:
    HQroeLu.jpg