test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Winter Event 2019 Feedback

starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,197 Arc User
Since the Galactic News Network does not have an official page for Winter event 2019. Here's a few notes from my perspective:

PROS

-Every year this is the event (besides summer) that brings me back to STO and kudos for keeping it running them year after year.

-The free ship is AWESOME. Thank you for keeping up with the times and improving the free rewards.

-Event Interface - Again great improvement so that we can do more than just one event to get the free ship. I welcome the great interface.

CONS:

-Communications: very lackluster. Sorry but there is not even an official page to give some official feedback in the matter. Not sure what is going on in the background but years past we had official communications, blogs or announcements on this great event.

-Winter Event time frame - is shorter than previous years. Any reason why? There is lots of speculation out there but not real word from devs or community manager. Would be nice to have some communications.

-Not a single NEW event. It has been over 2 years since something new came about in terms of events. Summer has been basically a copy/paste. I know there is lots of work that need to be done to get new events incorporated. Let me put it this way. It feels like a child unwrapping a present full of excitement and just finds out an empty box with very "nice wrapping" around it.
It would be great if something NEW is being prepped for next summer/winter 2020 and perhaps communicated as a road map. Just a wish list and my own feedback on the matter.

Thank you for any Devs listening.​​
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    An official topic would have been nice.

I, for one, don't want any new activities added to either until they can figure out a way to run multiple activities at once and let us choose which we can do. Any new activities will likely pay less rewards for the time spent on them, and they will make the ones that actually reward well less regular. It's somewhat less of a problem with Winter Wonderland than it is with Risa, but it's something that really should be addressed rather than pushing the events that work well from 90 minute intervals to 2 hour intervals.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    CONS:

-Winter Event time frame - is shorter than previous years. Any reason why? There is lots of speculation out there but not real word from devs or community manager. Would be nice to have some communications.
    ​​
    When you check the Daily Progress bar on Winter Event tab (the one for the ship), you will see that there is only needed 20 points of progres, so the Event is shorter, but there is needed less daily missions (20 now, before it was 25).
    There is still around 10 days of reserve if someone misses some days.

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    > -Communications: very lackluster. Sorry but there is not even an official page to give some official feedback in the matter. Not sure what is going on in the background but years past we had official communications, blogs or announcements on this great event.

Cryptic is on Pacific time so GNN forum posts often do not appear until around 10 AM Pacific. If there is no post within an hour or so I'll agree with you.
  • kristaswiftkristaswift Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    There hasn't been anything linked since they originally mentioned winter event 2019 first time.

In terms of feedback I do agree the events are lackluster since nothing new to do. Same copy/paste as last year except for some new items and the ship. However, no new content in terms of new stuff to do.​​
  • jozen#9312 jozen Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    2 questions:

wasn't there some way to get a free crate of ornaments last year?

is the breen costume account wide?
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    jozen#9312 wrote: »
    AFAIK they've never had free ornaments.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User

CONS:

-Communications: very lackluster. Sorry but there is not even an official page to give some official feedback in the matter. Not sure what is going on in the background but years past we had official communications, blogs or announcements on this great event.

The Dev's don't really like communicating on these forums, even the community manager prefers reddit. So you're best bet for the latest word from them, would be there.
  • jozen#9312 jozen Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    jozen#9312 wrote: »
    AFAIK they've never had free ornaments.

You're right, I was thinking of the duty missions
  • starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,197 Arc User
    equinox976 wrote: »

CONS:

The Dev's don't really like communicating on these forums, even the community manager prefers reddit. So you're best bet for the latest word from them, would be there.

Thank you and Good idea. Not sure why these forums supposed to be "official".​​
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    I wish they added the option to disable the flames on the new Fek'irhi ships.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Can't teach my sci boff Cryonic Pulse 2. 1 and 3 just fine, but 2 is a no-go. Relogged/changed instances, tried everything, but it won't take. So wish they'd actually test their TRIBBLE.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Can't teach my sci boff Cryonic Pulse 2. 1 and 3 just fine, but 2 is a no-go. Relogged/changed instances, tried everything, but it won't take. So wish they'd actually test their TRIBBLE.

EDIT: And you can be assured I didn't say 'TRIBBLE'. Grrr.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    cooldowns between the "missions" are too long, for example, when the big snowman is defeated, it remains at least 10 minutes to wait.

the "mission" where we fish, should spawn more often.
    edited December 2019
    avoozuul wrote: »

Molor does NOT approve of this suggestion. Gre'thor will be paved with your ashes!

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    > @meimeitoo said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > EDIT: And you can be assured I didn't say 'TRIBBLE'. Grrr.

Substitute an * for one letter. No TRIBBLE.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited December 2019

Molor does NOT approve of this suggestion. Gre'thor will be paved with your ashes!
    The reason being is they can clash with certain vanity shield designs, if I wanted to use such a vanity shield I would like to be able to disable most flames.

edited December 2019

The reason being is they can clash with certain vanity shield designs, if I wanted to use such a vanity shield I would like to be able to disable most flames.

I understand, but it IS a boat of the dead.

What would be extra spiffy is if certain vanity shields could change the color of the flames, like a Reman shield changing to green flame, or Fed-aligned Aegis (because I can't think of other blue ones) changing to blue flames. It would need to change the other flame effects and the Lost Souls too though.

edited December 2019

I understand, but it IS a boat of the dead.

What would be extra spiffy is if certain vanity shields could change the color of the flames, like a Reman shield changing to green flame, or Fed-aligned Aegis (because I can't think of other blue ones) changing to blue flames. It would need to change the other flame effects and the Lost Souls too though.
    I agree but I didn't think it was something that they could easily implement.

• ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User

Aegis shields works for that, if you don't like the flames.
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    Looking at the new ship, a lot of it appears to be lawn fudge. Such as the trait. I'm also going to bet that the bridge will be the same trash as last year's ship bridge. I'll be conjuring up an opinion post for it like I did for the Fek'ihri hot rod ship from last year.

With the Breen ships, the ship traits can all synergize together with the Breen ships, from Plesh Tral, to Rezreth. Same with the Vorgon trio. The Fek'ihri hot rod ship has a trait that can work with the Fek'ihri angry Warhammer 40k puffer fish, but the trait from said angry puffer fish is completely worthless for the Fek'ihri hot rod ship. Narrow Sensor Bands is a Miracle Worker ability, and last I checked, the Fek'ihri warship doesn't have any hangar bays either, which means yet another source of fire damage denied(along with the Phlogiston experimental fire weapon from the Maquis raider).
    ichaerus1 wrote: »

Aegis shields works for that, if you don't like the flames.
    I don't dislike them, I just don't want them to clash with certain vanity shields as I have said previously.

• crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    Just a heads-up...

I bought the Festive Odyssey sweater for my main (Fed Andorian) today and received the Festive Enterprise.

Then, as an experiment, I bought the Festive Enterprise and received the Festive Odyssey sweater.

So, in the market, they are swapped...

Also, the Festive Odyssey is NOT customizable. It's stuck in pink and green...

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    crm14916 wrote: »
    Just a heads-up...

I bought the Festive Odyssey sweater for my main (Fed Andorian) today and received the Festive Enterprise.

Then, as an experiment, I bought the Festive Enterprise and received the Festive Odyssey sweater.

So, in the market, they are swapped...

Also, the Festive Odyssey is NOT customizable. It's stuck in pink and green...

CM

Thanks for the heads up! I hope they will fix this. I just bought one and will not open till I hear something from Devs.​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • kristaswiftkristaswift Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    I like the new event interface and the options to complete the daily. I'm not sure why people did not like the race but now you can do other stuff as well to get that done. That's an improvement no matter.

The events do continue to be boring and not much to do if you have been around in STO for years past. Done that and checkmarked already. I hope next year they do come up with something better that just same copy paste job.​​
  • starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,197 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    saber1973a wrote: »
    CONS:

When you check the Daily Progress bar on Winter Event tab (the one for the ship), you will see that there is only needed 20 points of progres, so the Event is shorter, but there is needed less daily missions (20 now, before it was 25).
    There is still around 10 days of reserve if someone misses some days.

Yes, I see that and definitely it is so much easier to do than in previous years due to the other events you can do that counts towards the daily.​​
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The real test will be what they add to the Anniversary list of things to do to meet the Daily Quota and how they can/will fit in new Episodes to offset that 40% accomplishment. That's one (or maybe two) new Episodes to make in a world where TFOs are the new paradigm.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    cooldowns between the "missions" are too long, for example, when the big snowman is defeated, it remains at least 10 minutes to wait.

the "mission" where we fish, should spawn more often.

That isn't a cooldown, the event has a fixed runtime length, but the big snowman is set by number of normal ones killed, not by time, and people plow through them faster than intended. What would be ideal would be to have it like the fishing event and when the big snowman is killed the small ones start up again until the time runs out. It could even be a bragging rights challenge to get the big one to spawn a second time if they did that.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    When it's snowman hunter time you can rezone and kill more snowmen, I once managed to bag four overlords in one cycle.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,786 Arc User
    To me it's actually a good thing that there are no new events. During the very first winter event, I liked how calm the map was, it really felt like a place where you could relax. Now with so many new missions having been added since that first event, there's always something going on, some event that you are (loudly/intrusively and hence to some point annoyingly) encouraged to participate in, just like on Risa.

I wouldn't mind if they actually removed some events, or made some of them only occur in certain instances and others in other ones (if that's possible).

[4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,786 Arc User
    As for the event being shortened: you also need to earn fewer 'tokens' (they're not actually there anymore, but I guess you know what I mean).

It's brought down from 25 to 20 runs. The event is still 30 days I think? Previously it was something like 40-45 IIRC and you needed 25 of them. Comparatively speaking that's about the same so it should not seriously affect too many players.

I also agree that it's great that we get some choice as to what mission we want to play to earn the ship. Even though I've only done the race for the tokens until now ;)
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
This discussion has been closed.