Comments

• Options
    zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    They turn reviews off
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • Options
    borrowedtuneborrowedtune Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    zorbane wrote: »
    They turn reviews off

Meet one of the crazy ones. :P

It's cool that you trust everything to go smoothly. I prefer to trust in the ancient Klingon saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, a bat'leth to you head."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Oh it was worse than that. Load times were so slow that the foundry was basically unusable untii September. I pretty much quit the game cold turkey until then.

Well, that's a different bag of cookies we have to wait on.

I really hope the Foundry is up and running bug free by Thanksgiving if all possible.
  • Options
    red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The ability to play missions will remain available.

If this works out, this is awesome. (Now, let's just hope it does...)

Thank you, devs!
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I leave mine published because there's no way to know if something is wrong otherwise. I do however post a notice at the begining of my mission description stating that seasonal updates tend to break missions and warn them that bugs may ensue. I also ask them to send me bug reports.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2013
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    We're getting Voth ground and space enemy groups. Check out my testing report here: http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/news/voth-npc-group-test-report/

They add Voth quickly, but Klingon Rebels and other enemy groups accolade hunters have asked for seem to be out of the question. I guess I'll keep my Klingon Rebel kill count at 1 forever laughing at me.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    zorbane wrote: »
    They turn reviews off
    Except when they forget about that, and leave reviews on, while there are several bugs on the foundry, leading to low ratings. Like for LoR.

However, I don't remove my missions. But my other self told me it's fine, and my third self say I'm not crazy. Which is confirmed by my neighbour's dog anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited November 2013
    The point of leaving missions up is for authors to play their own stuff and find out if anything is broken.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    rob2485 wrote: »
    From waht I read in another post which I can't recall exactly, the foundry is not official supported content.

Which doesn't make sense to me because why would you allow players to make missions if the content is not supported.

It does however, explain why the Foundry gets no love.

No, but the Foundry IS an officially supported feature. So individual missions are not officially supported (not too surprising), but the Foundry as a whole is.

There are probably several reasons the Foundry gets so little attention. However, they are likely due primarily to complexity (I imagine it's somewhat complicated to get and keep the Foundry working on the server-side, as opposed to, say, a new Feature Episode set), and unpopularity. The unpopularity one may seem surprising to the fans of the Foundry, but when you factor in the people who just want to grind (despite complaining about grinding), the ones who don't care about story, insisting only on "officially supported" content, the ones who insist that any content they play should be paid for in some manner to prove some obscure point, and the fact that a lot of the use it DOES get is for farming, and you start seeing why they devote resources elsewhere.

For what it's worth, I think the situation has improved somewhat, especially with Spotlight missions. But they're going to need to do better than that to make the Foundry a more core feature. It may well be on their roadmap for the future, but for now, it's still not a top priority, which is unfortunate.

DISCLAIMER: This is largely well-intentioned speculation and I could be wrong.
  • Options
    castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    red01999 wrote: »
    It may well be on their roadmap for the future, but for now, it's still not a top priority, which is unfortunate.
    The only trouble I have with the statement is the official roadmap thread has not been modified in 2 years 11 months or theres abouts. Perhaps that will change going forward, but at this time the Foundry is what it is.

I am interested in seeing though if the forthcoming tagging will help (though not for a bit since we have to have reviews turned back on I assume in order to actually tag)
  • Options
    thedukeofrockthedukeofrock Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Reviews on or off makes little difference to me. What I am concerned about
    is the fact that this huge expansion, like LoR, might break even more maps
    making even more hard work useless from the Foundry Community.

Hopefully this will not be the case, but after the debacle and complete lack
    of effort to correct it, I would not be surprised if it occurred again after this
    huge programming upgrade for the new season.

DoR
    ABI-Artificial Borg Intelligence by Duke-of-Rock Available on Holodeck
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Also play Spawn of Medusa - The 5 Part series
    by Duke-of-Rock Available on Holodeck
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I just wish I could've gotten more work done on part 2, but last night I hit writer's block* after finishing testing on a ready room map.

Oh, well, I was having trouble staying awake anyway.

* Not writer's block exactly, but I'm having trouble deciding how I want to run this stealth mission in the Mintaka System (TNG: "Who Watches the Watchers?"). I know I want to have one of the ships in the battle group go down on Mintaka III and have Prime Directive issues, but it's getting from point A to point B that's the problem.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    borrowedtuneborrowedtune Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Reviews on or off makes little difference to me.

It matters a great deal to some people. Like the folks who responded in this thread saying they were trying to get their mission published before the editor goes down. A new mission is a fragile beast. And even more so now that the search function is completely borked. A new mission gets actual in game promotion in the category listing under "new" or, theoretically under "hot." A handful of good ratings can catapult that mission to the top, give it much needed exposure and make it an attractive offering to would-be players. A handful of bad reviews can send that mission into the abyss where it will linger alone and ignored forever more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gurluasgurluas Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Personally I hope there will be a foundry update soon.
    So many maps and costumes are missing from the foundry :/

In fact, I have a planned storyline I can't envision the way I wanted because the costumes I need and the maps I need aren't available. (Q's Wonderland jackets/coats, Yesterday's enterprise belt/chest, Virinat, and Brea 3, If you were wondering which)
  • Options
    darthgranicdarthgranic Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I am interested in making foundry missions, I was planning to learn how to make one over Xmas break before next semester.
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I am interested in making foundry missions, I was planning to learn how to make one over Xmas break before next semester.

My Primetime UGC back to basics tutorial series will help you. It's 9 parts, but it should give you a good overview: http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/noob-guides/tutorials-guide/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thedukeofrockthedukeofrock Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Definitely look at Kirkfat's (Kirksplat) tutorials. They got me started and helped me learn the foundry. I could never have done my missions without his help.

DoR
    ABI-Artificial Borg Intelligence by Duke-of-Rock Available on Holodeck
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Also play Spawn of Medusa - The 5 Part series
    by Duke-of-Rock Available on Holodeck
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited November 2013

If you're looking to play around with the editor now, it's still available on the test server, Tribble. I wouldn't develop anything you want to keep, but for just get used to the interface, its fine.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    If you're looking to play around with the editor now, it's still available on the test server, Tribble. I wouldn't develop anything you want to keep, but for just get used to the interface, its fine.

Can you get onto Tribble as a silver? I keep hearing conflicting information on that.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited November 2013
    Yes, they dropped the gold requirement several weeks ago.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    So, Frost, any word on when we get the editor back? I've got a couple bugs to fix (unrelated to the update).
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    randyxxrandyxx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Is the Foundry still down? It's currently greyed out for me.
  • Options
    gatetravellergatetraveller Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Next time they take the foundry down for an extended period, they should post a notification on the ARC Launcher a few days in advance. Very upset no warning was given in advance of this occurring. :(
  • Options
    lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    starswordc wrote: »
    So, Frost, any word on when we get the editor back? I've got a couple bugs to fix (unrelated to the update).

A number of players, myself included can no longer play the game since s8 launch. So for now they have bigger fish to fry.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • Options
    ransom2375ransom2375 Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Here's hoping for a smooth transition to normal operations in a timely manner.

But yeah, like lincolninspace said, it would be really nice for some of us if we could actually load the game again. Without a crash.
    Star Trek Online: Foundry 02.12.2010 - 11.04.2019
  • Options
    sofascumsofascum Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The foundry has been down for almost a week now and I was wondering when it would be coming back online?
    What you do not eat tonight, will eat you tomorrow
  • Options
    castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The honest answer is 'We have no idea' Normally the 'best case' is 7-14 days before editing comes back online. With that said they did mention something came up that put a halt to the republish(I dont know if it was temporary for that time, if it was resolved and the republish is back running or what) Until they are sure everything is back the way it was(ish) and nothing will break spectacularly when editing is back on, we just have to sit back and kill all the dinos. (or work on your starbase :) )
  • Options
    zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    There's two problems we know of right now, reach markers aren't appearing in the right place and publishing is taking extra long for some reason. These will need to be resolve before the Foundry can be turned back on.
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan