test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Didn't this used to be a game?

kingmoloch99kingmoloch99 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
edited November 2013 in Federation Discussion
I only ask because, the last time I checked, a game was about being entertained, challenging the intellect or body and enjoying free time with friends. I don't remember the last time me or my last remaining friend playing this game actually enjoyed it. It's time to move on. And no, not only can you not have my stuff, I actually deep sixed all of it and deleted my toons so that no one could, and I wouldn't be tempted to log into this 'game' ever again.

Tempted. That's the word that runs this 'game'. Everything is about tempting you to spend, spend, spend. Services and just basic QoL functions that a reputable company would not have made a monetary issue of. Bridge officer slots that cost twice what an entire character slot cost? For EACH character? With this latest 'expansion' I completed the entire thing in less than a single hour. Less than an hour. And what impression was left from it? Disgust.

It's as though the people playing this game have forgotten that normally, an employer pays YOU to work for them. We seem to be paying an employer for the right to have a tedious, soul sucking and thankless job that now, as of season 8, requires us to be at our position a full 24/7 if we wish to progress meaningfully. Yet more locked content behind the perverse and morally bankrupt reputation/fleet system.

No thanks guys. I should thank you. I hung on desperately to this abortion for two years now because it was the last gasp of the Star Trek I grew up with. But this season 8 abomination just finally, finally offered me a moment of clarity. There is nothing meaningfully left of Trek in this game. It's kind of shocking how far afield this online failure has gone into the swamp of greed and filth, and how awful this , sad, predatory, perverse job that I and god knows how many other suckers were paying YOU to permit me to work at. I'm actually so very, very glad you've finally broken the camel's back with your soulless, reckless, and unrestrained greed.

So in closing, I have the number of an excellent therapist for those of you whose mental disabilities and various disorders compel you to continue to log in to this nightmare, so far gone you don't even realize what it is or what it makes you. I'd be happy to offer it, but I won't be checking this account anymore.

It is my desperate hope that the Intellectual Property License will be seized from Cryptic and that it can be eventually cleaned of the foulness that their studios has imprinted it with. Until then, I think I'll move on to another, better, MMO. Which, from where I'm sitting, is pretty much all of them.
Post edited by kingmoloch99 on

Comments

• Options
    kozar2kozar2 Member Posts: 602 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    After toying with this season I've felt the same. I really like season 7 but this is so boring and again just a grind with no real missions or story. My play time is dropping off as well. It's not fun. It's beautiful graphically but...
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Don't let the door hit you on the way out. I for one am willing to allow Cryptic a chance to fix our objections to season 8.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    challenging the intellect

*snickersnort* Bwahahahahahaaha....
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    garakfan84garakfan84 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    skollulfr wrote: »
    can you mail me your stuff before you go?

Can't you read?
    And no, not only can you not have my stuff, I actually deep sixed all of it and deleted my toons so that no one could, and I wouldn't be tempted to log into this 'game' ever again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tyrannyfighter22tyrannyfighter22 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    OP you are literally borderline insane. Like in mentally insane.

Telling people they need a doctor because they like a game that you dont? Are you seriously kidding me? WOW. Very very glad you are gone.
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    So the OP enjoyed the game until he no longer enjoyed it, and just before leaving decided that anyone else who still enjoys it has mental problems.

so long troll. I wonder what will happen when he gets bored of the next MMO trying to get his money?
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Check me on this. His join date lists October of this year and the Op has four posts. But has been here two years. But last month was the very first time he ever needed to read or say anything on the forums? Just to quit?

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    >snip<

I hung on desperately to this abortion for two years

>snip<

It's kind of shocking how far afield this online failure has gone into the swamp of greed and filth, and how awful this , sad, predatory, perverse job

>snip<

So in closing, I have the number of an excellent therapist for those of you whose mental disabilities and various disorders compel you to continue to log in to this nightmare

>snip<
    Your post was kind of TL;DR, so I've shortened and highlighted the most important part.

I suggest you OP, to call this number as. we. speak.

Bye.
  • Options
    knucklesstarknucklesstar Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    starswordc wrote: »
    Don't let the door hit you on the way out. I for one am willing to allow Cryptic a chance to fix our objections to season 8.

That is just so disrespectful and deluded. How many "seasons" and blatant money grabs must we sit through before this game does get any better? But what would a soulless Cryptic puppet understand of that eh? Just give up your money, walking Debit Cards.

How pathetic that the community attack the OP for expressing his opinion. Which is not one that I'm sure people haven't heard before. But as usual, the playerbase tend to want to bury their heads in the ground and give Cryptic their money instead.

Its like watching Barrack Obama trying to pretend that the U.S's economy is alright. Its somewhat self-deluding and really pathetic to watch.
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Some people love to make a song and dance about quitting a game.

I didn't. The game burned me out so I don't play anymore. Donated all I could to the fleet, said my goodbyes, deleted my toons and uninstalled the game.

Only reason I come here is because I find this place more entertaining than the game itself :D

I think everyone is over-reacting here. The OP clearly needs a break and perhaps some chill out time, everyone else needs to stop being so sensitive about criticism. Ignore them, focus on your game and enjoy it.

It's not like he's the first guy to splurge ill thought out arguments on a forum.
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Can I have your stu-
    That is just so disrespectful and deluded! Golly golly gosh! *faints*

...oh.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Its like watching Barrack Obama trying to pretend that the U.S's economy is alright. Its somewhat self-deluding and really pathetic to watch.

You are too funny.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    stoutes wrote: »
    You are too funny.

Its kinda how I feel about people who take up arms against people who DARE to challenge their Cryptic gods. Its like something out of Apocalypto (Bad Movie btw) but you get the idea. Which virgin shall we sacrifice today at the alter of the great and powerful Cryptic... Well they are all Star Trek fans so plenty of virgins to choose from.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Its kinda how I feel about people who take up arms against people who DARE to challenge their Cryptic gods.
    You think we're licking Cryptic's but? Really? Lol

Read this:
    mental disabilities and various disorders compel you to continue
    He may think and say things about Cryptic whatever he wants, if he want to attack other players he's dancing a whole other limbo.
    Its like something out of Apocalypto (Bad Movie btw) but you get the idea. Which virgin shall we sacrifice today at the alter of the great and powerful Cryptic... Well they are all Star Trek fans so plenty of virgins to choose from.
    You bring your political views in a non-political topic. What do you think.
  • Options
    captainaramdacaptainaramda Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    SO SAY WE ALL!!

The OP is most likely one of the same type of people who have nothing better to do than to gripe and complain. There is a right and a wrong way of telling others of an issue that needs to be fixed or at least addressed.

Too many of these forum posts are like this. I seek answers. I seek advice. I do not seek people telling me how much better they are than anyone else.

This is merely my thoughts and reasoning.
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    So the OP enjoyed the game until he no longer enjoyed it, and just before leaving decided that anyone else who still enjoys it has mental problems.

so long troll. I wonder what will happen when he gets bored of the next MMO trying to get his money?
    OP you are literally borderline insane. Like in mentally insane.

Telling people they need a doctor because they like a game that you dont? Are you seriously kidding me? WOW. Very very glad you are gone.
    Here is the irony... If you think about how the game mechanics function, the original poster does make a valid point. Since we are fighting to obtain gear to progress, the reality is that there is no overall endgame goal. Regardless about how much you grind, the gear you obtain cannot be used for character progression.

Outside of some neat looking ship, gear, or item, what do you obtain from completing the reputation system and fleet holdings? Nothing.

You do not get to level 60 or 70.
    You do not get a new title.
    You do not get to save the Federation or KDF.
    You do not get anything for being a hero.

"Star Trek: Online" does not actually have an endgame storyline or purpose.

Players are technically on a treadmill leading to nowhere. As we obsessively push to get the next great piece of gear, we fail to realize they cannot be used for anything else. We are pushing to obtain grinding (mining) equipment, so we can continue to grind (mine) resources. Its an obsessive and endless cycle of repetitive tasks that lead to nowhere.

Unlike many offline and single-player games, the grinding mechanics in MMOs are meant to keep you on the treadmill.

...and, that is why its insane.

"Star Trek: Online" is my first and last MMO because of the insanity.
  • Options
    enterprise1701axenterprise1701ax Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    ... Well they are all Star Trek fans so plenty of virgins to choose from.

Thanks for the chuckle!
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    OP, just an FYI. That's not playing a game. That's obsession. You might want to go see a shrink for it.

Cause damn...you got issues.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Huh really most mmo are basically the same, I would argue that the grind in sto is a lot easier and most things are alot cheaper in the long run.... Then most mmos.
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    talonxv wrote: »
    OP, just an FYI. That's not playing a game. That's obsession. You might want to go see a shrink for it.

Cause damn...you got issues.
    Obsessive compulsive disorder is a mental disorder, which is listed in the psychology guide DSM-IV-TR.

Link: My Post About Why STO & MMOs Are Insane

Some people are more aware of the treadmill.
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    How pathetic that the community attack the OP for expressing his opinion.

So when the OP says everyone who still pays money into this game has mental disorders thats just 'his opinion'. but when people turn that round on him its people attacking him?

if he had just said he hated the game then fair enough. thats his opinion. if he however is going to be sarcastic, rude, aggressive then no one should be surprised if he gets it thrown back at him.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Huh really most mmo are basically the same, I would argue that the grind in sto is a lot easier and most things are alot cheaper in the long run.... Then most mmos.

Actually, that is not true at all. STO has one of the most expensive in-game stores of any MMO I have ever encountered. Cryptic do not seem to get the point of "micro-transactions" as paying over ?20 for an endgame ship is really really overpriced and ridiculous. Yes, you can grind it for free, especially if you have another lifetime and a lot of STO players like to pretend like they grinded for their STO stuff.

But usually this is just a lie. They paid for it like everyone else.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    So when the OP says everyone who still pays money into this game has mental disorders thats just 'his opinion'. but when people turn that round on him its people attacking him?

if he had just said he hated the game then fair enough. thats his opinion. if he however is going to be sarcastic, rude, aggressive then no one should be surprised if he gets it thrown back at him.

Mr Revo, if he had said he hated the game. They community would have still bashed him regardless. The STO community is one of the worst MMO communities at accepting criticism, especially about Cryptic and their hyper-capitalist view of Star Trek.

Regardless of if he claimed about mental disorders, it would have been irrelevant. He was doomed the moment he started to complain or question the great gods that are Cryptic. Because they are the ruling authority on Star Trek and they are law.

I happen to agree that Obsessive-Compulsive disorder may explain why so many people put money into this game. Especially when it comes to Fleet Starbases. My Fleet leader is an example of that. When I asked him "What is the point" of getting a Starbase to Tier 5 when we could simply just buy the stuff from another Fleet selling access. He stated he had "no idea, he just wanted to".

Is there any point to the new Voth reputation when the Omega, Tholian and Romulan sets are much better at providing gear which remains competitive. No? Then why are you doing it? When you only get what you need in this game to remain top tiered, you start to realize how shallow this game is in terms of development.
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Kudos to the OP on a successful troll. Lacks a bit of style though, since it's just adds a bit of twist to an old formula. So, some points deducted.

7/10

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    bombassdmbbombassdmb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    ...Its like watching Barrack Obama trying to pretend that the U.S's economy is alright. Its somewhat self-deluding and really pathetic to watch.

You spelled "Barrack" wrong. Only one "R":D

My impression of OP: "Season 8 sucks Thanks Obama!"
    SRS Fleet Recruiter
    Please feel free to contact me in game (@BombAssDMB) for information on the
    SPECIAL RECONNAISSANCE SQUADRON or visit our website: http://www.srs-fleet.net/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Kudos to the OP on a successful troll. Lacks a bit of style though, since it's just adds a bit of twist to an old formula. So, some points deducted.

7/10

:rolleyes:

So disagreeing with the way Cryptic develops the game is "trolling". Doesn't this echo pretty well with something else as well. "She doesn't agree with God, she must be a WITCH! BURN THE WITCH".

Persecution comes in many, many forms.

Disclaimer: I am not American, so apologies if I spelt Obama's name wrong.
  • Options
    latiasracerlatiasracer Member Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Actually, that is not true at all. STO has one of the most expensive in-game stores of any MMO I have ever encountered. Cryptic do not seem to get the point of "micro-transactions" as paying over ?20 for an endgame ship is really really overpriced and ridiculous. Yes, you can grind it for free, especially if you have another lifetime and a lot of STO players like to pretend like they grinded for their STO stuff.

But usually this is just a lie. They paid for it like everyone else.

It depends how you look at it.

For instance, I tend to set aside around 30 pounds per month for games/luxuries in general.

The other week, I bought Tomb Raider for 10 pounds. That lasted be around 12 hours of gameplay. Earlier this month, I bought the Avenger for roughly ?20ish and have probably used it for over 50 in game hours. That's pretty good value compared to the fun i got out of it (And i'm still using it - so i will continue to do so)

Ships in STO may seem expensive upfront, However if you compare it to how much enjoyment/time you are getting out of your purchase it's actually pretty good value for money. (The same can be said for anything really)
    warp plasma can't melt neutronium beams
  • Options
    oldkilldareoldkilldare Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    its called a Skinner box

and all MMOs are Skinner boxes of some type...

ALL

some just hide it better than others...

but ALL have a drip, drip, drip of reward to keep you coming back.

that said many people adamantly feel they're immune to such "psychological manipulation"...

to that i say..."nope"...
This discussion has been closed.