edited November 2013
    Maintenance has been extended by 45 mins, bah
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • brwjames85brwjames85 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    nithanath wrote: »
    It's Vice Admirals.

In naval tradition, anyone who is in command of a vessel is referred to as 'captain'.

Data commanding the USS Sutherland (TNG: Redemption II), was also addressed as captain, whilst only holding Lt-Commander rank at that point.
    Finally, T6 Fleet sovy! My life is complete!
  • brwjames85brwjames85 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    usscapital wrote: »
    ok who broke it ? :P

and who will get the 50 lashes? :p
    Finally, T6 Fleet sovy! My life is complete!
  • orici1701orici1701 Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    brwjames85 wrote: »
    In naval tradition, anyone who is in command of a vessel is referred to as 'captain'.

Data commanding the USS Sutherland (TNG: Redemption II), was also addressed as captain, whilst only holding Lt-Commander rank at that point.

nice to see someone else who knows what it means
  • mrlizardomrlizardo Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    usscapital wrote: »
    ok who broke it ? :P

It wasn't me! I'm making cheesecake.
    sarkasmo_by_spacepope13-d9rcbjs.jpg

"You seem to have gotten some of your blood in my raktajino. This is unfortunate."
  • sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    orici1701 wrote: »
    its correct if u recall J Dax commaded the Defiant and she was called "Captain" but her rank is not Captain. its one of them little things they used on the show.

nice to see people that play the game are trekies oh wait hardly any of you are trekies lol

his answer proved it and fyi no smart mouthed answer is needed as if u was one u would haven known this already lol

and not only VAs use the forms some Lts, Commanders do to...

To be complete accurate, this is a Wet Navy Tradition. Commanding Officers of a ship are called Captains no matter thier true rank. Star Trek used Naval Tradition to set up thier StarFleet Officer ranking and structure and most of the traditions presented. To be fair, the Navy is most like space service shown on the show.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
    edited November 2013
    sisteric wrote: »
    To be complete accurate, this is a Wet Navy Tradition. Commanding Officers of a ship are called Captains no matter thier true rank. Star Trek used Naval Tradition to set up thier StarFleet Officer ranking and structure and most of the traditions presented. To be fair, the Navy is most like space service shown on the show.

yes yes i know i just named another episode it was named in
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Still, a LT.Commander doesn't order me (a Vice Admiral of some significant seniority) to fetch a data crystal and fly my battleship across the map to hand it to some other low-rank makeweight.

That's just... eeehhh... bad writing and a lack of imagination on the part of the STO writing team. Basically that's all there is to it.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    orici1701 wrote: »
    nice to see someone else who knows what it means

It's also an incredible noob-ish thing to not know that. :) It's also in an FAQ somewhere, I believe. And it's probably one of the first thing ppl learn on day 1 when they start playing STO.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • paulymanpaulyman Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    worffan101 wrote: »
    --Foundry is broken, again. Then again, you probably already know this.
    They do.. Every time new content is added certain and sometimes all foundry missions go offline. It may be due to incompatible content or technical issues. Many times it is issues the individual foundry authors need to correct. Do not expect Cryptic to fix it for them. If it is an issue with the individual mission it is the responsibility of the author.
    --In the new battlezone, the baddies always fire at me, personally, first and foremost, even if I didn't shoot them or anything near them. This makes it impossible to use consoles unless I have like 3 other people with their away teams right by me putting up cover shields and/or killing the Voth before they can shoot me. Since the Voth are supposed to be defense, this radical offense (and the OPed Voth weapons that they use--punched right through VR MK 12 reg shield and energy resistance armor) seem to be rather out of character. I love the new battlezone, but please, guys, don't have the Voth zerg rush me every time I step foot outside the central safe zone. It gets annoying to die every 10 seconds.

OK before I start this is going to be harsh, but true. This is a battle zone you get that right? This is a war you understand this too right? So if you go parading into a battle in a war where a species wishes your entire race dead they tend to shoot you. They are not going to invite you to tea and muffins or tell you good morning. They see you they shoot you. Unless you have abilities on your BOFFS to generate aggro or threat then you will be targeted. You also may have points into threat on your skills. Personally I run either MACO or Omega sets and have had no issues at all. Tacs, Scis, Engies, none of them have issues. I get shot at I kill what's shooting me. Crying to ask the entire zone mechanic to be rewritten because you get shot at is a little sad. Suck it up and grow a pair.
    --Certain special encounters in the battlezone (researcher defense first and foremost) are bugged and nonfunctional. Not sure if you're aware of this.
    If you are going to report a bug its best to include a specific account of what happened. Where it happened and when it happened also helps immensely. Most people seem to think that what this player said here is a bug report. In actuality it just looks like some kid sitting in the floor crying that its broken. I have completed researcher defense myself several times. I don't know what other "Certain special encounters" you mean so I cant help.
    --I got lagged out of a PVP challenge at about 4:30 PM EST yesterday. Not that that was a bad thing--I was losing rather dramatically, thus proving once and for all that tac captains suck at ground for KDF side--but it was still kind of annoying. I think that this was a random bug, though, and not a recurring issue.
    Tacs don't suck for ground PvP. Perhaps if the Voth NPCs are too difficult for you to handle I might suggest PvP may not be the best place for you to be. Not being nasty but you just asked that an entire zone be altered because NPCs were killing you too much. You will get more mercy from them than you will from PvPers.
    edited November 2013
    themarie wrote: »
    Still, a LT.Commander doesn't order me (a Vice Admiral of some significant seniority) to fetch a data crystal and fly my battleship across the map to hand it to some other low-rank makeweight.

That's just... eeehhh... bad writing and a lack of imagination on the part of the STO writing team. Basically that's all there is to it.

if u watched the show u would know it was on the show, STO is "Star Trek" online if it was on the show its on here in 1 form or another. weather its the Captains navy name or something else. thats the end to it, not bad writing its people who dont understand
  • usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    mrlizardo wrote: »
    It wasn't me! I'm making cheesecake.

what choc cheese cake ? , if so save me a slice :D
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • aceseacese Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Exactly. Also why someone in command of a tiny little science vessel like Voyage should still be called captain but not have that actual very high rank - but they threw that s*** out the window with Janeway while shafting Sisko...

Lets get these servers up :D
  • otowiotowi Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hi Captains,

We will be bringing down Star Trek Online tomorrow, Thursday, November 14th, at 7AM PDT (click here to view in your timezone) for maintenance and to apply a new patch. Patch notes can be found here, and we expect this maintenance to last for 2 hours. The test server, launcher and access to manage your account may also be unavailable during some portions of the maintenance.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,

- The Star Trek Online Team

UPDATE (11/14 @ 8:50am): We're going to extend our maintenance window by 45 minutes. Our goal is to have you back in-game by 9:45am PDT (55 minutes from now).

http://nooooooooooooooo.com/ <- My answer to extended downtime...
    edited November 2013

In US Navy, Such things do happen. Lower ranked but Higher Positioned people can give orders to Higher ranked but lower positioned people.

Besides the fact that in STO there are no finite number of Vice Admirals in Starfleet. In the real world there are finite number of positions for each officer rank starting at Rear Admiral Lower Half and up.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)

• paulymanpaulyman Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    [

If they are assigned by a higher ranking officer than you to command and lead the task force then yes they do.

If Ensign So&So was assigned as operational lead of the sphere by a Fleet Admiral you are following the orders by proxy of that Fleet Admiral not that Ensign. Now snap to and get that data crystal.
  • my1alts2alt3my1alts2alt3 Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    acese wrote: »
    Exactly. Also why someone in command of a tiny little science vessel like Voyage should still be called captain but not have that actual very high rank - but they threw that s*** out the window with Janeway while shafting Sisko...

It is not uncommon to pass up promotion to stay in command of a vessel, stationary or moving. Not everybody WANTS to be an Admiral, a lot of people just want to be 'Captain' of their own ship - no matter how small.
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I missed the patched note on the >5km distance thingy having changed too; but, in my experience, only hefty DPS makes her not cloak (so often?).

I usually hear it when I'm playing science via my wells exotic damage, torp build, who's main damage contribution is a pimped out gravity wells, eject warp plasma, plasma torped to death build that burns the hull right through shields. :D (My compliments to dontdrunkimshoot,)

So I usually have to get nice and close to dump all that lovely but deadly plasma on her.

Funny thing is, It's still eating away at her hull even if she cloaks and moves away. Not that some with a narrow strictly line em up and shoot em mentality would notice.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• neeko69neeko69 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The end of the sale should be extended for 2 hours and 45 minutes. Yes?
  • diabolicaltroopdiabolicaltroop Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Now the Dev's want to turn this into "Mario in space". Step by step, inch by inch. dropping flashing points coins, dinosaurs with lasers and battle the super Bosses that look like an upgraded Mario villain. I guess they are going to sell out to Nintendo and all of us P.C. players are going to get the shaft along with the Star Trek franchise. Well this was fun while it lasted.
    KDF Ancient House of Seplch
    Dahar Master "Epitai" Kelrok son of Pok Seplch House Leader Tactical
    General Babd Grace O'Malley House Seplch Science Officer
    Fleet Admiral Quintus Savat House Seplch Tactical Officer
    edited November 2013
    acese wrote: »

To be honest, Sisko was Commander of a base with a ship attached to his command. Not a starship captain. Janeway was a starship captain. Her duties and authority (and career path) was different from Sisko's and probably was why he didn't have Captains rank as early as Janeway did.

• elnorelelnorel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    ****ing with european prime time again....

Well they certainly not gonna F***** with their own. Geez some people.

I'm in EU and I suffer the same annoying **** as you do. But I understand them.
    It is a US based company, US based game license,.... You catch my drift?

If it was made in the EU I am sure the US ppl would get shafted not us.

Just the way it is. :cool:

Now suck it up.

Go play TF2 or something till you wait.
  • lonestar1017lonestar1017 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    lt. Commander Michael Eddington DS9. Said to Sisko when he received his promotion to Captain. It isn't commanders or even admiral's they aspire to. It is the Captain's chair everyone has their eye on.
  • pmarquardtpmarquardt Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    ****ing with european prime time again....
    LOL. What do you expect them to do? They have started this at 7:00 in the morning! Mind the damn time difference!
  • elnorelelnorel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    lt. Commander Michael Eddington DS9. Said to Sisko when he received his promotion to Captain. It isn't commanders or even admiral's they aspire to. It is the Captain's chair everyone has their eye on.

Being an Admiral captain in STO is boring as F***. No endgame. Only grinding same old, same old STFs and grinding dill. That's it.

Now we finally got a weeks worth of content and we will be happy for like a month. Then same old grind again.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Take a lesson from my book :)

Don't expect much out of them and it gives little reason to feel any type or rage or anger when stuff goes wrong LOL. It is basically how they surprise people when not too much went wrong because in the past pretty much all new content was unplayable when released and to another extent the new stuff is actually working better than stuff that never worked or has become broken and never fixed like *KDF Costumes* the Fed and KDF content that was released before PWE took over that is just lingering and never used because its too buggy to even play.
  • megacharge07megacharge07 Member Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    pmarquardt wrote: »
    LOL. What do you expect them to do? They have started this at 7:00 in the morning! Mind the damn time difference!

No need to get on his back about complaining that it's cutting into European prime time. He has every right to be angry. I live on the East Coast in Canada, and even I think Cryptic should be doing these patches at a set time always to avoid cutting into North American prime time and European prime time.

They need to start doing these patches at 3 am Pacific/6 am Eastern time. That would be the sweet spot time-wise.
    tumblr_mt0cmzAQpC1rm3hhlo2_500.gif
  • tanqqueestadortanqqueestador Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    STO is beginning to mirror the issues of ObamaCare
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Funny thing is, It's still eating away at her hull even if she cloaks and moves away. Not that some with a narrow strictly line em up and shoot em mentality would notice.

She also cheats a bit. :) You're not supposed to be able to cloak when you have a tractor beam on you, yet she does anyway, lol.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
This discussion has been closed.