Options

ARC Development Update 2: Website Technology Upgrade

Comments

• Options
    druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    dezstravus wrote: »
    Hey druhin,

I personally think that an upgrade would be really cool, though right now there are no concrete plans to make any changes to the STO forums outside of the minor design changes needed to support the new site infrastructure.

I would say that if a new forum or social site is a big desire for our community, to keep letting us know so that we can recognize it as a priority. If enough people are asking for it, it increases our chances of justifying the business case to implement it. Thanks for posting your feedback! :)

Not sure if you got the memo: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=437071
    Hello Captains,

You may have noticed that Neverwinter has recently upgraded to a newer version of vBulletin (our forum software) -- STO will be making the upgrade in the future.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

P.S. I will sticky this thread once it's gains some traction -- some users end up missing stickied threads.

That post was written by Mr BranFlakes himself, 1 year ago. No word for quite some time whatever happened to that upgrade, and here we have a post by you, publicly stating the exact opposite of what was planned 1 year ago. Effectively saying "The upgrade won't happen at this time." as well as "Not currently in the planning."
  • Options
    jx1000ajx1000a Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    jx1000a wrote: »
    Greetings, I purchase zen through the use of game cards like the perfect world game cards or ultimate game cards. Would we still be able to purchase zen through these game cards?

just repeating my question so hopefully I can get an answer
  • Options
    dezstravusdezstravus Member, Cryptic Developers Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    lan451 wrote: »
    Heya dezstravus!

Got a few more questions for you this time around as well, if you don't mind.

Alrighty, so in your write up you said that there will be some minor art updates to the forums to fit the new scheme, but that the forums themselves would remain largely unchanged.
    Now, some time ago we were told to expect an upgrade to our forums in the future. See this thread here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=437071.

As you can see though, that was over a year ago. STO is running on vB 3.7.1 whereas the NW forums are running on vB 4.2.0. We're still missing some basic functions like the ability to report posts. Do you know if this upgrade was delayed because of the Arc website development/updates? Are there any plans to get the forums all running on the same platforms just like you plan to do with the websites?

Also for those of us who already have Arc, will we need to download a new version for the upgrade to 2.0 or will the client we have update itself?

Thanks. :)

Hello lan,

In regards to a forum upgrade, it is definitely something that would be cool, though we currently do not have any information regarding when this could occur. Sorry about that. :(

In regards to the client, the design goal is that it should automatically update to the new version whenever a new version is available, though I haven't received a formal QA signoff for this functionality yet so I will hold off on making an official promise that it will function exactly in this way. :)
  • Options
    o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Inserting ignored feedback here.
    Inserting empty threat here.
    Going back to game.
    Done
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    ravin wrote: »
    Why not do Zen like Sony does Station Cash? Instead of depositing it to a particular game, it's just there for all games that support the currency.

Thanks for the suggestion ravin. This is a great suggestion and I think it would be very convenient for our players. We would like to have a unified currency and purchase system, though it's a long term goal rather than a short term one due to the significant amount of development work that would be needed to migrate everything to a single system. :cool:
  • Options
    suprcheezesuprcheeze Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It Will Still Be Possible to Launch Games Without Arc

Best news possible. :)
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Is the new Arc program available yet?

Will never use it as my launcher, but I would like to look at what it spies on this time....

The new version isn't ready yet, but we hope to have it ready before the end of the year. We'll be happy to look at any feedback you have regarding the anonymous usage stats! The goal is to respect your privacy by keeping data collection anonymous and only related to performance, so if you check it out and don't feel that it meets that goal, then we are open to addressing any concerns.
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=1017551
    Arc will not gather or share personal information without consent

Optionally, you can opt-in to provide anonymous performance and hardware statistics (which helps us make sure Arc performs well on a diverse spectrum of hardware), though it does not gather or send any data without your consent.

With all the TRIBBLE over the last year or so pertaining to internet spying, you really think people will want to share their data?

Is ARC sponsored by the NSA?

What assurances can you give us that you will NOT collect personal information about us without our consent?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Two questions:

Will the "fully functional web browser" (as stated here) included in the Arc overlay function in conjunction with our security software, and what security software products have been tested to confirm this functionality, if any?

Does the Arc EULA have any provision absolving the company of responsibility for any breaches as a result of use of the Arc overlay, or does the company take responsibility for the security of the browser?

Hey breadandcircuses,

I don't currently have any data regarding what security software has been tested alongside the browser, though we are open to addressing any conflicts that our players report. This is one of the reasons for releasing an early version of the client for players to check out.

In regards to the EULA, I believe that the next version of Arc should have an updated EULA. I'd recommend checking that out once it's available - hopefully later this year!
  • Options
    roxbadroxbad Member Posts: 695
    edited November 2013
    The goal is to respect your privacy by keeping data collection anonymous and only related to performance, so if you check it out and don't feel that it meets that goal, then we are open to addressing any concerns.

My goal is to keep people from collecting my data. You can ask me to trust you in regard to what you will collect and how you will use it, but I don't need such assurances if, I simply deny you the ability to collect the data.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    jx1000a wrote: »
    just repeating my question so hopefully I can get an answer

Yep, support for game cards is here to stay. :)
  • Options
    klingontacoklingontaco Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    What information will PWE have the right to collect through arc besides usage statistics? Also what information will PWE be collecting about usage?
  • Options
    robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    One of the features on the PWE website is Core Connect. Is this site architecture also being integrated into Arcgames.com? If so does this mean that Star Trek Online players will now be able to have their character status on there.

Star Trek Online also has the gateway. As this is also a web architecture will this feature also be accessible through the arc client?
  • Options
    burstdragon323burstdragon323 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Dez,

What is the justification for the removal of the ZEN Wallet? Seems to be a bad call in my opinion.
  • Options
    drtassadardrtassadar Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    No, TRIBBLE this Arc TRIBBLE. You wanna make all your other games all-in-one, that's fine. Have a good time, but leave Star Trek alone.
    "That was not Mozart laughing, Father... that was God. That was God laughing at me, through that... through that obscene giggle."
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hello lan,

In regards to a forum upgrade, it is definitely something that would be cool, though we currently do not have any information regarding when this could occur. Sorry about that. :(

In regards to the client, the design goal is that it should automatically update to the new version whenever a new version is available, though I haven't received a formal QA signoff for this functionality yet so I will hold off on making an official promise that it will function exactly in this way. :)

Thanks!

I have to admit that it's a bit disappointing to hear about the forum upgrade. However, at least now we know for sure that it isn't in the cards right now. I like knowing that instead of just having it hang without any word on it. In this case then, my feedback would be: I would very much like a forum upgrade!

Sounds like it's looking good for the client auto update though. ;)
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 735 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Once again, why do I need this at all when I have no desire to play any of "their" other games ever? What is wrong with the current launcher? Why does this require so much space out of my computer when it doesn't need it other than potential future updates? Doing that is invasive and unwarranted. Why can this not be shut off when the game launches? Doing that is just a resource hog and will bog down my already aging computer.

You've said that you don't plan on changing the current launchers at this time. I'm sorry this IMO, this is just back room talk that you do plan to make it mandatory and don't care what we think at all.

I do not care about, want, need or require this. I have my methods of searching for information about the games I play and don?t need your intrusions. This is the prevailing consensus on these forums. Why do you not acknowledge this? Yeah, I know you "take" feedback. But do you take it to heart?

I've tried being as civil as I can. If you brush me off as some rude forum poster and not a player who wants a question answered truthfully and not "We can't say just yet because...", fine. I am here because of Star Trek and nothing more. If this game were called anything else, I would still be paying for TOR. BTW, I hate EA and BioWare.

Thanks for your time.
  • Options
    tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I really hope people aren't just blowing smoke when they say they'll leave over ARC.

Because that is the only way I see it going away for Cryptic games.

Personally, as I understand what ARC will do, I plan to stop playing STO when ARC becomes mandatory for all players. While I could attempt to log in through Steam, the Steam client isn't playing nice with my Rig's configuration and the Steam Support suggestions I can't agree to. So that leaves me with giving up STO when ARC becomes mandatory.

I don't have a issue with a single application that can launch all of a Publishers games. I, and many others, don't want a mandatory secondary application running and sending who knows what to PWE or whoever. If ARC could update/launch the game of choice and then shutdown, if we want it to, then I believe you would see a warmer reception to this idiocy.

I harbor no ill will to Noel or Brandon in this. They are doing an uneasy task in trying to get a rather intrusive and idiotic application to be used. If they can pass along and get those above them to make ARC a more customizable application, who knows...

Thank you for the time...
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The new version isn't ready yet, but we hope to have it ready before the end of the year. We'll be happy to look at any feedback you have regarding the anonymous usage stats! The goal is to respect your privacy by keeping data collection anonymous and only related to performance, so if you check it out and don't feel that it meets that goal, then we are open to addressing any concerns.

The only feedback I want you to address is the spyware Arc currently uses.

When I click on NO, I expect nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing is to be scanned, logged and/or sent to PWE servers.

The current Arc program still periodically scans all my local hard drives (I have Arc on a Virtual machine which is isolated from my network) , and then tries to send the data to PWE, even though I click on NO.
    What it is scanning for I do not know, but even if you call them usage stats, it is still against my permission because I clicked NO.

If those usage stats are not covered in that option, then they need to be before I would trust it to be installed on my computers....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hey breadandcircuses,

I don't currently have any data regarding what security software has been tested alongside the browser, though we are open to addressing any conflicts that our players report. This is one of the reasons for releasing an early version of the client for players to check out.

In regards to the EULA, I believe that the next version of Arc should have an updated EULA. I'd recommend checking that out once it's available - hopefully later this year!

Thanks for the response with the available info. Hopefully security of the browser was a consideration in its design, since it does access the internet in general. You do have my condolences at having to try and sell us on Arc, though; honestly, I haven't seen it do anything that couldn't (and shouldn't) just as easily be done by opening up your website in the browser I already have. Mind you, I can see Arc adding new features that are intentionally left off of the website as a means to "promote" the use of Arc, but that's entirely beside the point.

I am looking forward to the website improvements, though. Admittedly, I'll simply bookmark the main STO page in order to avoid the other stuff, but I like the idea of a consistent structure to the entire site, and consolidation of resources. The Game Guides section looks especially promising, as information on the Energy Weapon Drain and Damage Reduction Magnitude vs Damage Reduction % game mechanics could use a great deal more transparency given some of the discussions I've seen here on the forums. Keep up the hard work on the website... and leave Arc optional for as long as possible. ;)
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    jx1000ajx1000a Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yep, support for game cards is here to stay. :)

thank you. :)
  • Options
    cellanoid#1655 cellanoid Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    The only feedback I want you to address is the spyware Arc currently uses.

When I click on NO, I expect nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing is to be scanned, logged and/or sent to PWE servers.

The current Arc program still periodically scans all my local hard drives (I have Arc on a Virtual machine which is isolated from my network) , and then tries to send the data to PWE, even though I click on NO.
    What it is scanning for I do not know, but even if you call them usage stats, it is still against my permission because I clicked NO.

If those usage stats are not covered in that option, then they need to be before I would trust it to be installed on my computers....

This is very concerning.

Devs, if you're listening, I hope you have a response to this. If it is ignored, I can guarantee it will be posted in anything that is regarding ARC.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hey breadandcircuses,

This is another problem. What browser does Arc use within itself?

I use Google with certain plugins to stop adds and other scripts from activating without my knowledge.
    Like right now for instance, every add on the forum is blocked from my view.
    I expect to have the same ability within Arc, or at the very least the ability to block the Arc inbuilt browser from the internet full stop...
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    striderxxstriderxx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    After reading this..i am completely stumped by why ARC is even being used if it continues to scan even AFTER the player says no. I'm no lawyer but isnt that in itself a breach of privacy at this point?
    Eagle Star 1st Fleet
  • Options
    cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Changing the look and feel of the STO website might be bad news but everything else sounded great.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    "Unified Websites", eh? Well, guess it just means I won't be bothering with the official website or forums after this. There are plenty of gaming news sites that'll get me the info on STO. I really don't need a crapload of banner ads and pop ups trying to open on my browser 9I have two apps to disable popups but I'm sure the Asian influence will be seen and Perfect World will be trying to get around pop up blockers like most eastern game sites do.

I really find it interesting that PWE thinks this will get STO players looking and trying their other MMOs. I'm sure the marketing folks may be surprised as traffic drops after the changes.

Also good to know Arc launcher unification is 'far down the line' as it means I'll be playing STO a little longer, but if they implement Arc as being a TSR client on top of the game client, and not having the option to shut it down completely after patching/launching during (and after) gameplay. I'm gone, and will definitely tell anyone who asks NOT to bother with STO/Cryptic/PWE as they (once Arc is fully Live and made mandatory) require invasive bloatware to run on top on their MMOs.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    darius259audarius259au Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    So I need to make 2 zen purchases now that you lot are getting rid of the wallet - I usually buy like $20 worth then split it between sto or neverwinter but now I have to do 2 purchases and 2 credit card charges because of this streamlining brainstorm:mad:

why not just give us the option to transfer on purchase or leave it in the wallet till used?
  • Options
    rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hey Everyone,

We've posted an update regarding the latest developments to our upcoming Arc-powered website.

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=1033251

Please feel free to take a look and post your questions here. As usual, we'll answer as many questions as we can so feel free to share your thoughts. :)

-Dezstravus

I couldn't care less about the website changes, but having a stand-alone STO game launcher after ARC has to be an option.
    I don't want to use any Steam-type software just to play this ONE game.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • Options
    wayofderawayofdera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Cryptic,

To add to the chorus, I too, do not want the Arc program, running in the background, and taking up a single bit of data.

I only play STO, and will never play any other Perfect World game, period, end of story. I only want the STO launcher by itself, as I currently have. I had Steam, and dropped it, as I did not want it running in the background, wasting Processor speed, Ram, and memory. STO is the only video game I make time to play, from time-to-time, even though I, like many other posters here, have more important things we could be doing, or spending our money on. With that in mind, and the continual promise put out on the forums that Cryptic is listening to it's fan base for the direction of decisions for the game, please, please, please?allow for the option, to have the single STO launcher exist, outside of the ARC format for the duration of STO.
  • Options
    jaymadiv#8056 jaymadiv Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Honestly, as long as Cryptic never takes STO off of Steam, I don't care what they do with ARC. I'll never install it, and if they try to force me to, I'll just move on to other games on Steam.
    JayMadIV.png