test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

ARC Development Update 2: Website Technology Upgrade

dezstravusdezstravus Member, Cryptic Developers Posts: 2 Arc User
edited December 2013 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Hey Everyone,

We've posted an update regarding the latest developments to our upcoming Arc-powered website.

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=1033251

Please feel free to take a look and post your questions here. As usual, we'll answer as many questions as we can so feel free to share your thoughts. :)

-Dezstravus
Post edited by dezstravus on

Comments

• Options
    red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The post mentions "fan content" not being preserved. The only "fan content" I can think of STO has is either a) contained in the forum, or b) the Foundry.

What, if any, of this is going to be lost because of this thing?
  • Options
    brickmasterjack8brickmasterjack8 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Forum rage in 3...2...1...

On a serious note. I am fine with pwe changing the websites. However, I would prefer to not download Arc. I have no need for it and it sounds too much like Origin, which I dislike.
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited November 2013
    red01999 wrote: »
    The post mentions "fan content" not being preserved. The only "fan content" I can think of STO has is either a) contained in the forum, or b) the Foundry.

What, if any, of this is going to be lost because of this thing?

That section was removed from the blog as it does not pertain to STO. Other legacy PWE sites have fan content submissions (screenshots, art, etc.), but we never did.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited November 2013
    dezstravus wrote: »
    Hey Everyone,

We've posted an update regarding the latest developments to our upcoming Arc-powered website.

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=1033251

Please feel free to take a look and post your questions here. As usual, we'll answer as many questions as we can so feel free to share your thoughts. :)

-Dezstravus

Just read through the Blog, gotta admit... you do some amazing dev blogs Noel!! :), anyhow... the updates seem sweet... and on regards to the website... do you have an ETA on when it will be available???

Also Thank you for allowing us to use the current launchers a bit longer... in my case that is..

Overall, can not wait to see the changes... look epic!! >.<

On a side note: In regards to this changes... not sure if the STO gateway will come in here with this changes...
    Any news on that???
  • Options
    jx1000ajx1000a Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Greetings, I purchase zen through the use of game cards like the perfect world game cards or ultimate game cards. Would we still be able to purchase zen through these game cards?
  • Options
    collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I've made my feelings regarding Arc pretty clear, so no need to keep spitting in the wind... :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    tikonovtikonov Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    heh@total straight faced way cryptic post about these

its literally one of the few things you see the majority of forum posters actually agree about, nobody wants/cares/needs ARC
  • Options
    druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    So what ever happened to that long overdue Forum Upgrade? The blog mentions "minor visual upgrades" to the forums, but nothing further. No upgrade?
  • Options
    saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I don't need a "unified Website" for everything...
    I will NEVER play any of the other games and I find it HIGHLY unnerving to get bombared (and we will eventually get bombarded with Ads, Events and whatever that's the one and only point of all this) with all this... superfluous waste...
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • Options
    ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Why not do Zen like Sony does Station Cash? Instead of depositing it to a particular game, it's just there for all games that support the currency.
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
  • Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited November 2013
    tikonov wrote: »

its literally one of the few things you see the majority of forum posters actually agree about, nobody wants/cares/needs ARC

Do you speak for the whole Perfect World Community when you say "nobody"???

I have Many Fleet Mates that do enjoy Arc....
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Heya dezstravus!

Got a few more questions for you this time around as well, if you don't mind.

Alrighty, so in your write up you said that there will be some minor art updates to the forums to fit the new scheme, but that the forums themselves would remain largely unchanged.
    Now, some time ago we were told to expect an upgrade to our forums in the future. See this thread here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=437071.

As you can see though, that was over a year ago. STO is running on vB 3.7.1 whereas the NW forums are running on vB 4.2.0. We're still missing some basic functions like the ability to report posts. Do you know if this upgrade was delayed because of the Arc website development/updates? Are there any plans to get the forums all running on the same platforms just like you plan to do with the websites?

Also for those of us who already have Arc, will we need to download a new version for the upgrade to 2.0 or will the client we have update itself?

Thanks. :)
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Again, why fix that is not broken? The current launcher works fine.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Again, why fix that is not broken? The current launcher works fine.

Merchandising!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Is the new Arc program available yet?

Will never use it as my launcher, but I would like to look at what it spies on this time....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Someone's signature would be a good quote: "Yes to Worf, no to Arc!" Please not another Origin. ^^
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    If you have any feedback or questions you?d like to share with us, please feel free to post them on the game forums of your choice. We?ll be doing our best to answer everything that gets posted!

Two questions:

Will the "fully functional web browser" (as stated here) included in the Arc overlay function in conjunction with our security software, and what security software products have been tested to confirm this functionality, if any?

Does the Arc EULA have any provision absolving the company of responsibility for any breaches as a result of use of the Arc overlay, or does the company take responsibility for the security of the browser?
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    cellanoid#1655 cellanoid Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I really hope people aren't just blowing smoke when they say they'll leave over ARC.

Because that is the only way I see it going away for Cryptic games.
  • Options
    luke3424luke3424 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    ill say it one more time, then im done, since PWE aint listening...
    I...do....not....want....arc
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    saekiith wrote: »
    I don't need a "unified Website" for everything...
    I will NEVER play any of the other games and I find it HIGHLY unnerving to get bombared (and we will eventually get bombarded with Ads, Events and whatever that's the one and only point of all this) with all this... superfluous waste...
    Thanks i just wanted to write the same.

What a waste of time and energy for something no one wants or needs.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    rumbleprumblep Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    ok.. you asked for feed back about arc in the new post... ok... here it is... one word.

NO

lemme expand on this. Why should I install more software to govern software? Thats what an Operating system is for. I do not play anything other then Star Trek Online. I dabbled with Champions, and I do keep up with the updates, though I haven't played it in sometime. Steam is bad enough, I dont play steam games anymore because of Steam software glitches. It takes forever to launch games using steam and honestly I wont be doing that with ARC, if you guys decide to force us to arc like PWE forced us to create a PWE account (which I still hate that idea to this day btw as I dont play anything other then aforementioned games which are both proxy owned by PWE thru cryptic) I wont be adding ARC, end of story. Have a nice day.
    -Captain Saffrin
    Federation 12th Cavalry
    Deep Space 19/USS Montana
  • Options
    mcduffie369mcduffie369 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Arc needs a lot of work. While it is active my mmo mouse dose not work. My mouse uses a program to make bind profiles and I guess ARC thinks it is some kind of cheat.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm not interested in your other games. I play STO because I wanted to play a Star Trek space game and GOG.com doesn't have Starfleet Command yet. This is why I'm not using it.

I cannot think of a single issue that's ever been floated on this board that has engendered this much unified disgust.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~BranFlakes
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I really hope people aren't just blowing smoke when they say they'll leave over ARC.

Leaving the launchers and game clients fully independent would retain customers... changing it back after the fact is unlikely to make any difference once those same customers find something else to play. There are a few alternatives set to launch this Winter, or Spring 2014, that could be a problem for STO regardless; giving players a reason to go play them instead of sticking around is probably not a good idea.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    irwin109irwin109 Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I hope that you enjoyed our previous blog about the current development status of the Arc platform.

I had to laugh that they opened with this considering the almost unanimous detestment of Arc and the explicit statement that not many people in the STO and other PWE/Cryptic game communities actually want it.
    IrwinSig-1.jpg

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013

But we dont get any flamethrowers here.

Anyway, if we want to go to play PWE games, we can check them on the PWE website.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    tikonov wrote: »

Speak only for yourself, please. Don't go saying that no one want, cares or need ARC, because you don't know that "no one" wants it when you can only speak for yourself.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    klingontacoklingontaco Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I don't like arc, want it, or need it. The idea of eventually making it the launcher for all PWE games annoys me.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Welcome to the Forums
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    dezstravusdezstravus Member, Cryptic Developers Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    druhin wrote: »
    So what ever happened to that long overdue Forum Upgrade? The blog mentions "minor visual upgrades" to the forums, but nothing further. No upgrade?

Hey druhin,

I personally think that an upgrade would be really cool, though right now there are no concrete plans to make any changes to the STO forums outside of the minor design changes needed to support the new site infrastructure.

I would say that if a new forum or social site is a big desire for our community, to keep letting us know so that we can recognize it as a priority. If enough people are asking for it, it increases our chances of justifying the business case to implement it. Thanks for posting your feedback! :)