test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tasks other than fighting

wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
What possibilities have you seen/thought of for things you can have the player do in a Foundry mission, other than talk or fight? I've been interested in that question for a while, and now I'm trying to write a non-combat mission myself, it's become a bit of a practical problem - I need something for the player's character to actually do, and to break up the walls of dialogue. Unfortunately the system isn't well set up for non-combat gameplay, other than the standard stupid "press F to do thing", but there are a few options. I've seen:

Running around:
* Follow-that-ship (Beneath the Skin) and even follow-that-alien (Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey).
* Tasks to be carried out WITHOUT running into nearby enemies. (Uninvited Guests, Mayhem Ep 1: Cute, Fuzzy Things)
* Threading a maze. (Beneath the Skin, Inner Space)
* Race tracks (You don't know when it's real)

Puzzles via the dialogue system, of course:
* Translation. (Spirits of Ramok Nor, Time the Enemy. Especially Ramok Nor. A seemingly quite unnecessary task (you can't fail) that made my hair stand on end.)
* Looking up clues to what's going on. (Time the Enemy, What Price Paradise?) Again, seemingly unnecessary, no skill involved, but there's nothing like slowly piecing together a story to make it hit home.
* Codes to crack, number puzzles. (Black Boxes, Spirits of Ramok Nor, What Price Paradise?)
* Could throw questions that need to be answered with real, basic science. Would be fair to warn people at the outset, though Wikipedia might well get you through in many cases. Has anybody done this?

Other:
* Conversation which may or may not lead to combat. (Renown Rendezvous)
* Which circuit to connect to what? (What Price Paradise? and others, but Renown Rendezvous is the only one where you actually have to make choices which affect the result, which is better.)
* Spot the odd one out - say, a slightly incompentent Changeling in a crowd. I just made this up - has anyone done this?

Any suggestions/comments/whatever? Have you come across any really good ones you'd like to share?
Post edited by wombat140 on

Comments

• Options
    lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Some other puzzles I have seen: Treat medical injuries: Collectiveness strikes gold.

Or Engineering puzzles: A Time to Search.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm fond of doing objectives that involve collecting information. Sure they're often referred to as grunt work, but if it's part of a story, it's a good way to break up the story into sections.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    donperkdonperk Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I just played the remake of "Collectiveness Strikes Gold, Part 1", so it's fresh in my mind. The first half of the mission has no fighting at all. It's basically a rescue operation that mixes a whole bunch of activities: removing rubble, consoling people, jury-rigging a comm system, a medical puzzle (that I, sadly, failed and the patient died), healing and tagging people that need to be beamed out and watching a Redshirt die. None of it felt like busy work to me -- it all seemed to fit with the story line of rescuing all these people.

I think that's the key -- if you want a highly interactive non-combat mission (a good thing!) then it's a matter of finding activities that are natural elements of the story-line. I would avoid the temptation to put in a puzzle because your mission "doesn't have a puzzle". Put one in because it supports the story.

EDIT: Oh and here are a few more things to add to your list (some are from a mission I'm currently working on where there's no fighting in the first half of the mission.)

• Blowing things up! Just because there's no fighting it doesn't mean you can't have a BIG explosion. (or seven...)

• Chasing people. (Perhaps a variation on "Follow-that-ship") This is a bit hard to do naturally in the Foundry, but you can have a friendly kill group spawn, follow a patrol pattern at high speed away from the player and then beam them out (or have them go through a door that closes and locks -- or have an EXPLOSION that puts rubble between the player and the group) when the player hits a reach marker.

• Catching people. Same as above, only when you hit the reach marker an "I give up" dialog pops up.

• Exploring. This involves the player finding something hidden or reaching a place that requires some platforming (jumping on boxes, etc.). Note that this is not necessarily the same as scanning activities, which I'm rather tired of.

• Riddle Solving. This can work really well with the Exploring objective. Let the riddle indicate where to find the hidden item or spot. (Remember that you can tell the Foundry to not show objective markers.) Just be careful that your riddle isn't too difficult if you care about not ticking players off. (or give them an out, like a PADD marked "Use only if you are REALLY stuck.")
  • Options
    paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    My most recent mission, "Valley of the Shadow I", has no combat until well over halfway through it. Mostly it consists of storytelling with heavy dialogue and a lot of eye candy, triggered and otherwise - I'm quite the pyromaniac in this mission :D - along with one puzzle shortly before the first combat sequence. (Parts II and III will have significantly more combat.)

I also recently remastered my very first mission, "Ghosts of War, Part I", to add a space-based puzzle. Maybe I'm playing the wrong missions, but I don't recall seeing a whole lot of object/trigger-based puzzles on space maps in Foundry missions (as opposed to mere dialogue puzzles that happen to take place on space maps).
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I have another one:

• Easter Egg Hunt There are a bunch of variations on this, but the basic mechanic is that the story requires the player to interact with multiple objects in the environment to complete a single objective. Here are some variations.

• Traditional "scannning activity" - This is essentially a story need to scan various objects. This is normally done by finding interaction objectives that have the interaction text "Scan TRIBBLE" and having the normal navigation indicators turned on. Most reviewers prefer that there be some outcome associated with each scan -- usually a brief dialogue. This works well in space or ground maps and is probably an over-used meme, but it is very Trek.

• Clue Hunt - In this variation, the player is looking for clues that can be assembled in any order. Each interaction point causes a dialogue to be presented with one of the clues. Note that clue hunts can be performed with the objective markers turned off to increase the difficulty and mystery.

• Taunting Clue Hunt - This is similar to "Clue Hunt", but with a tormentor either gleefully (and condescendingly) praising the player as they find each clue, or despairing as the player discovers each new clue. This is usually good for scenarios where the player is trying to escape a map. ("Bonnniiiieeeekin!")

• Interrogate the Witnesses - This is a variation on "Clue Hunt" where the witnesses are NPCs or Consoles/PADDs that are being interrogated in a random order. Usually completing the objective in this case leads to a discussion between the player and her BOFFS or another character where the clues are put together in order to reach a conclusion. This works very well on ground maps, but can be made to work in space -- talking to freighter captains, for example.

• Shopping List - The story framework here is that the player needs to assemble a list of known materials in order to complete a story objective. Objective markers can be on or off. The objective complete payoff is the ability to construct a needed object or repair an existing one.

• Improvised List - This is the McGuyver version of "Shopping List". The player explores the environment and determines what materials can be used to improvise a needed device. You can have some fun with this one where there are more items than the player needs and he must confer with his BOFFs to decide which items are worth collecting.

The cool thing here is that even though all of these have very different story frameworks and should provide very different player experiences, they all involve the same Foundry mechanic: a single objective that must be satisfied by interacting with multiple interaction objects. :cool:
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The only task other than Fighting is going up to something and F'ing it. Since this is pretty boring, not to mention lacking in payoff, this is why most of the game thus involves more pewpew. When you get in a fight, you get to actually make a decision of how you wish to go about fighting. Pressing F cannot be done in any other way, and is thus quite uninteresting and involves no decisionmaking.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm working on a diplomacy minigames for the first part of my next mission. The "storyline" is exceptionally short for this, you just beam in, have an introduction by the local ambassador, proceed to the negotiation, and then move to the next map.
    However, the map is full of lore about this alien people (that unlock several answer during several discussions), things to do, and people to talk to. You can either win or loose "diplomacy points" (IE being rude will make you loose a point, but knowing the lore and telling them something they want will earn you something).

Ultimately, the player will do the negotiation, and will win or fail, according to the choices he/she made before, and during the negotiations. Or he/she can just skip everything, and rush the negotiation. And fail. But the mission will go on no matter what.

The result is calculated using a NPC fight. "Good" choice spawn allies, "bad" choice spawn enemies.

So far I made it fairly easy, with optional tips you can ask to the ambassador, for those who like hand holding (optional conversations). I may make it harder, if the comments say it's easy. I'm still undecided, it's difficult to find the right... well, difficulty. I want to have both the people that like hand holding and the "explorer" happy with this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited November 2013
    One of the things that everyone commented on in Zorbane's Purity mission was the scene on where the player mans and a console on the bridge of a ship during a battle scene. It was combat without pew pew. I tried to do something similar in Sink the Bismarck! where you stand on the bridge and give orders like "Helm, attack pattern omega 3" and "Fire phasers!" (but Zorbane did it far, far better.)
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Lots of great ideas. I was gonna say if you don't want fighting how about lovin? :D Some missions have the option to flirt with characters as a puzzle.

Another thing I did in ATTS was a rooftop sequence with a jumping puzzle and what has been described as a parkour course. It is set in a very futuristic city with lots of sky traffic and peple milling about way down on the ground.

Edit: Can this thread be a sticky?
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm rather found of the investigate themed Fetch quest, Searching lockers, and hacking computers, usually to uncover a criminal, traitor, imposter, etc

Can be kind of laborious, but if the computer entries are made interesing enough, it may keep attention

Also you can have fun with triggers on your fetch quests , say have two lockers, one has an objective interact, has to be done, the other may simply be tied to something else, say it might open a shortcut to bypass a puzzle or something later, reward your players for exploring
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    aleniskendraaleniskendra Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Here are some related question I have...

How do you add optional interactive objects? For example, in "Bait and Switch" there's a computer console that you can use to pull up people's personal files. However, it is optional and not listed as an objective. I LOVE that concept and totally want to incorporate it into my revamp of "Healing Old Wounds". I am not really big on "pew-pew" and like missions that call for lots of varied interaction.

Also, I know how to branch dialogue, but I played a mission once that had branched OBJECTIVES. (Maybe "Relics" or "The Syndicate Extraction"?) Anyway, it gave the whole mission a very "choose-your-own-adventure" sort of feel. Does anybody know how to do that??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My very first Foundry Mission, Healing Old Wounds, has been completely reworked and rereleased!
    (Also, a quick shout-out, please visit Starbase UGC for all your Foundry needs!)
  • Options
    edited November 2013

How do you add optional interactive objects? For example, in "Bait and Switch" there's a computer console that you can use to pull up people's personal files. However, it is optional and not listed as an objective. I LOVE that concept and totally want to incorporate it into my revamp of "Healing Old Wounds". I am not really big on "pew-pew" and like missions that call for lots of varied interaction.

Also, I know how to branch dialogue, but I played a mission once that had branched OBJECTIVES. (Maybe "Relics" or "The Syndicate Extraction"?) Anyway, it gave the whole mission a very "choose-your-own-adventure" sort of feel. Does anybody know how to do that??

Alisenkenra, start here: http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/sto-ugc-tutorial/back-to-basics-part-6-trigger/

Then go here: http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/noob-guides/tutorials-guide/

I would start by watching all the "Back to Basics" tutorials and then start running through KirkFat's list. Some of the stuff is out of date, but the concepts are the same with regard to triggers and standalone dialog elements.

By the way, you can't really do branching objectives (as defined by the Foundry, anyway) but you can do branching of activities that simulates it. Again, the key here is going to be TRIGGERS. Learn them well. :)
  • Options
    aleniskendraaleniskendra Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    donperk wrote: »
    Alisenkenra, start here: http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/sto-ugc-tutorial/back-to-basics-part-6-trigger/

Then go here: http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/noob-guides/tutorials-guide/

I would start by watching all the "Back to Basics" tutorials and then start running through KirkFat's list. Some of the stuff is out of date, but the concepts are the same with regard to triggers and standalone dialog elements.

By the way, you can't really do branching objectives (as defined by the Foundry, anyway) but you can do branching of activities that simulates it. Again, the key here is going to be TRIGGERS. Learn them well. :)

Thanks a million! So THAT'S what triggers are...:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My very first Foundry Mission, Healing Old Wounds, has been completely reworked and rereleased!
    (Also, a quick shout-out, please visit Starbase UGC for all your Foundry needs!)
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    As for your other question, objects can be given a "default dialog". the is will make it so that there is always an "interact" prompt whenever the object is visible. Then when you interact with it, you'll see the dialog play.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    atalossataloss Member Posts: 563 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This has just become my favorite thread. Thank you everyone, I'll go print this list out and put it next to my desk.
    One day Cryptic will be free from their Perfect World overlord. Until that day comes, they will continue to pamper the whales of this game, and ignore everyone that isn't a whale.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    As for your other question, objects can be given a "default dialog". the is will make it so that there is always an "interact" prompt whenever the object is visible. Then when you interact with it, you'll see the dialog play.

Yes but the interact text cannot be changed due to a bug....
  • Options
    wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hm, has anyone reported that one? It's still workable, but a button that says "Interact" does break the atmosphere a little.

My mission that I'm trying to write has an extended sickbay scene, and I'm finding it hard to sort out enough "business" to break up the dialogue, so thanks Lincolninspace and Donperk for telling me about "Collectiveness Strikes Gold". I keep seeing that one mentioned, then for some reason forgetting to play it. I'm definitely going to now you've told me that!

It doesn't help that I'm very new to Foundry editing, so I don't know all the things that are possible, or how you'd do them if so. I didn't know that you could turn off objective markers, for instance, and I'm not certain how you trigger an explosion - but I mean to find out.
    Can this thread be a sticky?
    ataloss wrote: »
    This has just become my favorite thread. Thank you everyone, I'll go print this list out and put it next to my desk.
    Thank you. You just made a little Foundry author very happy. Not that most of it's my doing, of course - I'm as chuffed as anyone with the wealth of good ideas that have come in since I took my eye off the topic! Like Doffingcomrade says, in this game fighting is the only task that's DESIGNED to require any thought or skill, but we seem to be a wonderfully ingenious lot around here. If the engine ain't made to do what you have in mind, trigger it 'til it is!

That reminds me, another non-combat "task" I really like is when you get to navigate your ship in 3d, like in the excellent "Transwarp Trouble". Flying from point to point turns into a game of skill like it should be rather than a chore, spotting your target against the stars and homing in on it, or using the scanner if you're puzzled. This seems to be a controversial one, though - Transwarp Trouble had about a dozen in-game reviews lambasting the author for that very thing! If playing this one, you just need to watch the view, not the minimap... and the wheel, not the girl ;-)
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    To make an explosion just set one on your map and then instead of having it appear immediately decide what you want to trigger it. It can be triggered by reach markers or by objectives etc. It will not loop so you don`t need to worry about it repeating.

_

Space gameplay is what I really want to build on. My first mission has very little of it.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    how feasible are open exploring maps for the foundry?

I have no doubt i could manage the necessary triggers and such for a mini exploration zone with dialogue opening up by means of exploration, where finding something will enable you to then ask an NPC more about the curious item you have found and progress the investigation into whatever story the plot demands

BUT i seriously doubt i could create a map with enough detail to make it interesting with the object limit, but then i'm only minorly experienced with custom maps, as i mostly set dress the existing ones, are there any skycastle builders out there with thoughts?

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    There is a market for missions like that. If you have played the bland exploration missions that are in the game you would know it would not take much to improve on them.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    For a good example of a Cryptic mission that lacks combat, look at Cold Comfort. It's pretty short if you know exactly what to do, but not bad.
    There is a market for missions like that. If you have played the bland exploration missions that are in the game you would know it would not take much to improve on them.
    I've spent a lot of time pondering them, and contemplating ways to improve them. To me what stick out most is the need to have more than 1 or 1.5 maps. Currently it's always either space map>done, or space map>ground map> done. Adding more layers would make them batter.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I think i'm going to resolve to do something like this now, I'll take some time to plan during the downtime

But heres what i'm thinking, Somekind of Stranded in space type mission, Where you scavenge and trade for parts perhaps.
    One initial idea is a deep space diplomatic mission gone a bit askew, an accident renders you unable to return home, and you must either Trade/Diplomacy your way to the parts you need getting you home , OR you could blast em up, with disatrous results for your diplomatic mission

Maybe even use the Nebula that drops shields to sell the whole broken ship feel, for those who like immersion and to discourage the blast em up route as your in a vunerable ship

Or another idea for a stranded space map, is a Ship Mothball yard, Like in the Voyager episode where theres a trader dealing in broken down ships, and you'd need to find the parts you need, then make a trade/or guns blazing, blast your way out of there/ use stealth to slip away

• Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    adverbero wrote: »
    Maybe even use the Nebula that drops shields to sell the whole broken ship feel, for those who like immersion and to discourage the blast em up route as your in a vunerable ship
    Tech question: Is that an asset by itself or did they just combine a nebula with an interference effect?
    Or another idea for a stranded space map, is a Ship Mothball yard, Like in the Voyager episode where theres a trader dealing in broken down ships, and you'd need to find the parts you need, then make a trade/or guns blazing, blast your way out of there/ use stealth to slip away

An alternative would be Surplus Depot Z15.

Other tricks to create mission choice include carefully pathing mobs so that players that are so inclined can sneak between them instead of blasting everything. (See one of the ground levels for lincolninspace's "A Time to Search" for an example: He put patrolling Breen on the map without tying them to objectives, and pathed them so you can sneak past instead of engaging.) Assuming the Kirkfat tutorial I watched last night is accurate, you can even reward the player for stealth by triggering it so that engaging and killing them causes an alarm to go off and more mobs will spawn. (Kirkfat said Component Complete on the attacked mobs would trip the trigger when the group was dead. Haven't tried this yet.)
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    bazagbazag Member Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    starswordc wrote: »
    Tech question: Is that an asset by itself or did they just combine a nebula with an interference effect?

There are "static interference" assets that each have different areas. The do the effect and drop shields and sensors but there is no accompanying nebula.

Other tricks to create mission choice include carefully pathing mobs so that players that are so inclined can sneak between them instead of blasting everything. (See one of the ground levels for lincolninspace's "A Time to Search" for an example: He put patrolling Breen on the map without tying them to objectives, and pathed them so you can sneak past instead of engaging.) Assuming the Kirkfat tutorial I watched last night is accurate, you can even reward the player for stealth by triggering it so that engaging and killing them causes an alarm to go off and more mobs will spawn. (Kirkfat said Component Complete on the attacked mobs would trip the trigger when the group was dead. Haven't tried this yet.)

And yeah "Component Complete" triggers work off objects and NPC Groups when all the members of a group are dead they are considered "complete".
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    bazag wrote: »
    There are "static interference" assets that each have different areas. The do the effect and drop shields and sensors but there is no accompanying nebula.

That's what I thought. It's two assets put together (interference + nebula).
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Contamination by evil70th has the best stealth set up I have ever seen. He has glowing markers and dialog to guide you. It is a very fun sequence.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

thats a real useful link, thanks

• Options
    edited November 2013

Like others have said, objects and NPC contacts, but not combat-capable mob groups, have a checkbox at the bottom of their "General" tabs titled "Default Prompt" or something to that effect. Hit that, and you get an editable dialog window, one that you can even use to set off triggers using Dialog Prompt Reached.

I think it was "The Syndicate Extraction". IIRC the trick there was, there was only one objective (go here) but two ways to achieve it (be sneaky or blast your way in). This is done by not tying hostile mob groups to kill objectives.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited November 2013
    I think it was "The Syndicate Extraction". IIRC the trick there was, there was only one objective (go here) but two ways to achieve it (be sneaky or blast your way in). This is done by not tying hostile mob groups to kill objectives.

Doing this is a great way to almost sandbox a level, You could have one objectve to meet with a contact in a Bar, say the managers office

But you can throw up so many types of obsticle on the way there, Surely Bouncers, Barfights, shady Smugglers making deals you can interupt , A seductive Orion waitress if you so desire, the possibilities even for that one scenario can be wide ranging, and all can be avoided, or completed,

One mission i played even had the player wake up in the brig of a ship if they took part in a fight that was interupted by ships security

it doesn't matter how, just as long as the reach marker is reached

• Options
    edited November 2013
    adverbero wrote: »
    Doing this is a great way to almost sandbox a level, You could have one objectve to meet with a contact in a Bar, say the managers office

But you can throw up so many types of obsticle on the way there, Surely Bouncers, Barfights, shady Smugglers making deals you can interupt , A seductive Orion waitress if you so desire, the possibilities even for that one scenario can be wide ranging, and all can be avoided, or completed.

I'm laughing at this because in "The Sins of the Fathers" you have alternative ways to get OUT of the bar. The object is just to make it out of there -- how you do it is up to the player.

I just finished drawing up the outcome graph for "A Bridge Too Far: Survival". This mission will have four very different outcomes and over forty unique decision paths the player can follow. A few of those paths are non-combatant paths using a mixture of dialog and interaction trigger points.