What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What can we do to Help the Dev?

Comments

• Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm not specifically calling anyone ignorant. I don't name and shame. But to pretend there isn't a whole lot of ignorant players on the STO forums is... naive.

I find it a little hypocritical that you'll blatantly insult people who don't agree with you, but turn around and play the victim card and saying there's rude and arrogant people responding to you when myself or others give you similar blunt, and direct responses. To accuse people of kissing aft and being fanboys or trolls simply because they either A: Don't agree with you or B: Have a firm grip on reality, is really quite juvenile and shows you have no serious intention to have a productive discussion on the thread you created.

And if that's the case, then don't be surprised if people treat you the same way you seem to be treating them. A little respect and civility goes a long way, but if you attack other posters instead of the arguments they try to make? Then you just show you give up on having constructive feedback and should probably stop posting on the forums.

But just for clarification. If you really want to go to CBS Studios and complain to them that you can't fly a Soyuz-class starship in Star Trek Online instead of just showing up in the forums and saying, "Hey, it'd be really cool if we could fly a Soyuz-class starship.", then yes -- that is indeed a very immature, juvenile, and childish way of providing feedback. And you accomplish the exact opposite of what you originally intended to do. And insulting people who disagree with you only strengthens my point.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek
    Stating his general view of Dev interaction on the forums from before, comparing to now, and generally saying his opinion is not trolling...

And neither is it aft-kissing -_- It's simply part of a discussion; you may not agree with it, but that doesn't make it any less valid
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek

This, this right here son, is why the Devs never want to visit us. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited November 2013

This is why we can't have nice things.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited November 2013

That about covers it.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    frankocasio2frankocasio2 Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    iconians wrote: »
    I'm not specifically calling anyone ignorant. I don't name and shame. But to pretend there isn't a whole lot of ignorant players on the STO forums is... naive.

I find it a little hypocritical that you'll blatantly insult people who don't agree with you, but turn around and play the victim card and saying there's rude and arrogant people responding to you when myself or others give you similar blunt, and direct responses. To accuse people of kissing aft and being fanboys or trolls simply because they either A: Don't agree with you or B: Have a firm grip on reality, is really quite juvenile and shows you have no serious intention to have a productive discussion on the thread you created.

And if that's the case, then don't be surprised if people treat you the same way you seem to be treating them. A little respect and civility goes a long way, but if you attack other posters instead of the arguments they try to make? Then you just show you give up on having constructive feedback and should probably stop posting on the forums.

But just for clarification. If you really want to go to CBS Studios and complain to them that you can't fly a Soyuz-class starship in Star Trek Online instead of just showing up in the forums and saying, "Hey, it'd be really cool if we could fly a Soyuz-class starship.", then yes -- that is indeed a very immature, juvenile, and childish way of providing feedback. And you accomplish the exact opposite of what you originally intended to do. And insulting people who disagree with you only strengthens my point.

You and your troll pals came on here to discuss everything other than the issues
    that I brought up

and now you are trying to put words in my mouth about ABC.

I will not defend myself to the likes of you or your troll buddies.

I will only insult a person when Im insulted so nice try.

I guess there is little point in trying to have a civil debate with the like of you.

so choose are you gonna leave or shall I just shut this down your input is unwanted and unhelpful.

I do apologize to the community for allowing myself to be drawn into this by a person who if he was standing in front of me would never speak like this.

I guess deny that you guys have been trolling all day.

even taco had to come on and straighten you mutts out.

Making statements like the dev's don't care or why ask for ships its a waste of time

News Flash bucky this isn't your personal Site,don't like the topic? what gives you

the right to call people Ignorant or anything.Your just a cyber Bully that's all and

you get upset when someone sticks up for themselves.Get use to it Bucky if you push I push harder..
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    stonewbie wrote: »
    While this is true, it doesnt hurt to have a couple hundred or couple thousand other players who want the same thing as you. Since you are trying to justify a 'want' and not a 'need', i think that a higher demand for that thing you want increases the likelyhood of your wish getting granted.

This is the point of the debate.
    Agree or disagree
    perhaps there is a ship you want?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    trek21 wrote: »
    Stating his general view of Dev interaction on the forums from before, comparing to now, and generally saying his opinion is not trolling...

And neither is it aft-kissing -_- It's simply part of a discussion; you may not agree with it, but that doesn't make it any less valid

When anyone assumes to speak for another for personal gain and no prior relationship has been established.
    Thats not only aft polishing when its online and involving a video game,
    It make you prince heir to the throne of the kingdom of ar** kissers
  • Options
    edited November 2013

This is why we can't have nice things.

I make no apologies for responding to harassment.
  • Options
    crabbycabbycrabbycabby Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    One of the OP's ideas (Transports) sparked off an idea with me.

How about a mini game where you accept missions to transport "goods" (not normal market stuff) from point A to point B? But... Due to the massive amounts of these "goods" needed you cannot carry them aboard your regular military ship. Now let's see how good we are against pirates... And the clock...

Or perhaps a variation on this where certain everyday goods are needed somewhere (this location will pay over market value). But... You do not know the location or goods until after you accept the mission. This version would allow you to use your regular ship. Once a day mission (or some sort) where you transport needed supplies to outer colonies kind of thing. (Again against the clock?)
    Proudly F2P
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I make no apologies for responding to harassment.

MmmHmm.

How about a mini game where you accept missions to transport "goods" (not normal market stuff) from point A to point B? But... Due to the massive amounts of these "goods" needed you cannot carry them aboard your regular military ship. Now let's see how good we are against pirates... And the clock...

Or perhaps a variation on this where certain everyday goods are needed somewhere (this location will pay over market value). But... You do not know the location or goods until after you accept the mission. This version would allow you to use your regular ship. Once a day mission (or some sort) where you transport needed supplies to outer colonies kind of thing. (Again against the clock?)

I've actually suggested something like this before. I also suggested a PvP version though. ;)
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Note to Iconians...

Do not engage!

You know it's pointless.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    Note to Iconians...

Do not engage!

You know it's pointless.

A storm of contradictions who ended up scrubbing their OP to erase any evidence of the facts I brought up later in the thread? Color me shocked.

I find engaging in the STO forums to be more or less pointless, but I always hold onto the hope that at least one person will recognize reality and facts and come back to it.

But I'm not naive to think it will happen all that often. Still, if at least one person is educated by anything I write on the forums, then it will have not been entirely pointless.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited November 2013
    I'm so freaking lost.

How was anyone trolling the OP?
    Admittedly we weren't discussing what the OP may have originally intended, but TBH, it wasn't terribly clear WHAT the OP wanted to discuss in the first place. . . ?

I'm sure I'm biased here, being the supposed "aft" being kissed, but I don't see much "aft" kissing going on. I see people explaining their experiences, and how/why they've seen Dev interaction decline over the years.

What did I miss?

OP, may I suggest you start another thread, perhaps with a clearer title/opening statement/question? I think this thread is now lost to our collective insanity.

DOOOOOOOM!!!!
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Ah man, am I late to the party?
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm so freaking lost.

Admittedly we weren't discussing what the OP may have originally intended, but TBH, it wasn't terribly clear WHAT the OP wanted to discuss in the first place. . . ?

I'm sure I'm biased here, being the supposed "aft" being kissed, but I don't see much "aft" kissing going on. I see people explaining their experiences, and how/why they've seen Dev interaction decline over the years.

What did I miss?

OP, may I suggest you start another thread, perhaps with a clearer title/opening statement/question? I think this thread is now lost to our collective insanity.

DOOOOOOOM!!!!
    I think the only thing missing here is the OP's sense of reality... because apparently, we all are are aft-kissers because we tried to explain things.

sure, like it's that simple -_-
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm so freaking lost.

What did I miss?

DOOOOOOOM!!!!

Don't quote anyone. Each person is the cable guy and if you quote them you become their buddy :)
  • Options
    edited November 2013

A wonderful idea, Any idea on what type of transport?

I'm thinking a Oberth class with the stardrive attached to a large cargo area.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    A storm of contradictions who ended up scrubbing their OP to erase any evidence of the facts I brought up later in the thread? Color me shocked.

I find engaging in the STO forums to be more or less pointless, but I always hold onto the hope that at least one person will recognize reality and facts and come back to it.

But I'm not naive to think it will happen all that often. Still, if at least one person is educated by anything I write on the forums, then it will have not been entirely pointless.

yet you still post...
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I'm so freaking lost.

What did I miss?

DOOOOOOOM!!!!

Originally I wanted to discuss how to help Dev's

Then I got post's from people telling me its a waste of time

That the Dav never respond and that I'm Ignorant.

Also that every ship has been asked for already and its a waste

of time. Perhaps its not trolling be its rude and counter productive

and Helps no one then these guys continue to post trying to bate me knowing

they already annoyed me...
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    anazonda wrote: »
    First... PLEASE use enter every now and then...

Secondly: Me personally, I prefer the way it currently is... I prefer most of the TOS/TMP era ships to stay as garbage scows or museum ships.

And judgeing from chats in-game and the forums here, I am not alone... far from it.

I will work on it..

I think I will disagree with you.

The fact that the Miranda Class has been seen in many Variants in since TMP

Proves the viability of the vessel.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    Note to Iconians...

Do not engage!

You know it's pointless.

I Agree, Very Pointless
  • Options
    edited November 2013

I think a federation Transport in the DY series transport family would be Interesting.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Eyh. Don't knock him. -At least he uses commas and periods. -I would wish there where spacing between them tough. :D

I will work on it...
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Captains,

If you would like to continue this thread (and not receive a warning), I suggest you return to the topic at hand and stop responding to other posters in any way that continues any hostile conversation.

I will remind you all that forum policy says that you do NOT reply to any post that violates forum rules. Report it. If you have to PM me to do that, then PM me.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    moronwmachinegunmoronwmachinegun Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    What purpose does this serve? Going by previous experience, when we acknowledge a bug, or say it's on our list, if that bug is not then fixed immediately, we get yelled at about never fixing bugs. If we say nothing, we get yelled at about never fixing bugs. So to us, the output is the same. Why would we expend energy doing something that offers no different result?
    As it is, it's better to just fix things as we can, and let the patch notes be the informant.

The "bug fixes aren't happening fast enough" problem is an issue of education, but I think ignoring the ignorance most people have for how software development works isn't really the answer. Maybe the wiki should have a "Wahhh, why is my bug not fixed!!!111!" entry that can be linked to when people grumble about bugs not being fixed that explains the complexity involved. If I made it, would it be used?

What I would *love* to see, is an acknowledgement that includes your internal bug tracking # along with the title. This could easily be cut&pasted into the Wiki, allowing for a simple way for players to track known bugs and maybe even include community fixes. Being ignored doesn't even tell us that you know about a bug, and so it builds up resentment (whether or not the bug is addressed in a priority-appropriate manner is a different discussion). An acknowledgement helps diffuse those feelings, even if a bug is low-priority and not expected to be fixed soon.

Just knowing that "Hey, my space bridge officers aren't showing up right on the ground" is tracked as #133124 would do wonders. Now someone could create a wiki page "Bug #133124" and describe the bug, and offer workarounds, "select the dropdown for a BOFF station, and the rest should populate", and track changes as the bug evolves, "With Season 7, this bug got Xxxx". And if someone suspects a bug has returned, it helps the devs go straight to the internal bug discussion, instead of having to search the whole database. And if someone does request an update from a dev, she can ask about a specific bug #, not just a generic "Hey, when's the BOFF station bug going to be fixed?" kind of question.

Then your release notes could include the bug fix ID# when referencing a bug, and that entry could be retired on the wiki.

Our company did this change a few years ago, and it really helps us in communicating to our customers. We now have bug tracking IDs for all hardware and software bugs & errata in our published documentation. Our customers don't have access to our internal JIRA bug tracking system, but this way we can communicate clearer in both directions. There was concern initially that the numbers might frighten customers, but overall the response has been very positive. Often, as described above, a customer requests more detailed information on a specific bug, and now we're able to go straight there and provide what we can.

Here's an example release notes for one of our (embedded) Linux BSP releases:

2) What's New and Fixed
    --) [DM37LINUX-955] Updated GPS demo app to add time set functionality
    --) [DM37LINUX-957] Incorporate latest .ini & .bts files into the wireless
    driver for -31 model

3) Known Issues
    --) [DM37LINUX-176] Linux df_fire only covers 1/4 of screen
    --) [DM37LINUX-177] The boot text was not displayed on the LCD when console dev
    was set to tty0

5) History

2.1-0
    --) Added DVSDK support

2.2-2
    --) [DM37LINUX-36] Added DSP support in BSP
    --) [DM37LINUX-251] Configured default MPU clock for optimum performance

The other thing we do is release publicly (no login needed) our SQA test plan and test results for each and every BSP (including bug #'s for new issues found). As far as I know, we're the only company in the world doing that.
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Mmos arent like your standard software and there are reasons there isnt a public jita. Rough example would be in a major mmo, there is probably 5-10 bug reports every minute. Assuming that those all got posted and bug ids plopped on a wiki, it would ultimately not matter as most peoples bug id would be invalid since almost every bug has been reported to death. A lot of bugs are already posted about on the forums yet threads still always pop up.

There is no real way for any mmo developer to say "yep this bug is being fixed" that won't be ignored especially by those that it effects :-P
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    moronwmachinegunmoronwmachinegun Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    askray wrote: »
    Mmos arent like your standard software and there are reasons there isnt a public jita.

I said their *internal* bug tracking number, not the individual ticket # for each report. I'm pretty sure they don't use the reporting system to manage their bugs, for the exact reason you give below.
    Rough example would be in a major mmo, there is probably 5-10 bug reports every minute. Assuming that those all got posted and bug ids plopped on a wiki, it would ultimately not matter as most peoples bug id would be invalid since almost every bug has been reported to death. A lot of bugs are already posted about on the forums yet threads still always pop up.

That's precisely my point. It's near-impossible to search effectively for information in the forums. If someone posts a new bug report for a known issue, this way the first response would be a pointer to the wiki page for the known bug, instead of a "yeah, that's a known bug, there's a thread somewhere that talks about it, good luck finding it."

Say someone finds a new foundry bug. A dev can say "this is tracked as #1223, I'm looking into it". Then that becomes the number, and once he confirms it, can't duplicate it, fixes it, etc. it can progress.
    There is no real way for any mmo developer to say "yep this bug is being fixed" that won't be ignored especially by those that it effects :-P

I don't understand what you're saying here. If there was a centralized place to track bugs outside of "search the forums" then the ease of following the progress on that bug would be much greater. A dev posting "work has started on this bug" would be buried within a day or two, but if the associated bug page on the wiki gets updated, all Watchers on that page can get notified of the change, all new people can see that work has begun, people returning from vacation can check, etc.
  • Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited November 2013
    Hehehehehehehe!!!!

I just love this kinds of threads!!! :D
  • Options
    Looks like all of you where wrong they released the Constellation Class,Galaxy Class and excelsior T6.I wonder how it must feel being so wrong.I feel your pain it energizes me...hmmmm
This discussion has been closed.