test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What can we do to Help the Dev?

frankocasio2frankocasio2 Member Posts: 62 Arc User
I would like to know what kind of ship you would add to the game if you could.

If there is anything positive you have to add please

Most input is welcome.

No one wants to hear your option on the DEV's.

Think this is useless again then don't post.

A healthy Debate lets toss around ideas and solutions

The I can't crew can stay elsewhere.

P.S.

My hopes and prayers go out to the people of the Philippines
Post edited by frankocasio2 on

Comments

• anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    First... PLEASE use enter every now and then...

Secondly: Me personally, I prefer the way it currently is... I prefer most of the TOS/TMP era ships to stay as garbage scows or museum ships.

And judgeing from chats in-game and the forums here, I am not alone... far from it.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    ^^What Anazonda said.

Also, every conceivable ship has been asked for already and the devs know it. There is no point in asking again, its does zero good.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,671 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Short of knocking on Brent Redstone Door and demanding he give Mr Rivera a free hand in Star Trek Online,Just kidding of course I would never get pass his Doorman or Do I have to raise a Petition and take it to his father at CBS.What would it take to loosen the constants.There are so many Issues I have with Fed ships in this game I don't know where to start.why don't we have more variant's such as Oberth tugs and transports rather than that ugly cardassian boat The Miranda Class starship which was used in DS9 isn't an admiral level ship that smells of CBS micromanagement.How wonderful it would be to be able to buy from the C store a Transport Pack DY100-DY500 Transports.I also would Love a Soyuz-class starship as I am sure many of us will or a Saratoga Class miranda variant as seen in the first episode of DS9.I assume the reason for these mishaps is CBS or am I wrong.In short I would like to see more ship Variants and I am willing to pay for it.I would like to know from the community what Star Trek Ship they would like to see in the game.

I can, as long as he's not TRIBBLE. I AM pretty damn cute
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • frankocasio2frankocasio2 Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    voporak wrote: »
    ^^What Anazonda said.

Also, every conceivable ship has been asked for already and the devs know it. There is no point in asking again, its does zero good.

There must be a Reason why the Dev have refused to add the ships you speak of.
    I understand you like many have given up and that is cool however I'm not you.
    If There is no other reason than they just don't feel like it, then that's what I want to hear so can move on to other games...Given up does no one any Good.
    edited November 2013
    I can, as long as he's not TRIBBLE. I AM pretty damn cute

I give you his address on West 57st Street Oops.
    edited November 2013
    There must be a Reason why the Dev have refused to add the ships you speak of.
    I understand you like many have given up and that is cool however I'm not you.
    If There is no other reason than they just don't feel like it, then that's what I want to hear so can move on to other games...Given up does no one any Good.

They're not refusing anything. They just simply don't have the time to add everything that everyone asks for. I'm sure that if they somehow got the magical ability to add everything they wanted in the space of one week, we would see everyone's requests added and more.

But they don't have magical abilities, do they?
    edited November 2013
    anazonda wrote: »

Secondly: Me personally, I prefer the way it currently is... I prefer most of the TOS/TMP era ships to stay as garbage scows or museum ships.

And judgeing from chats in-game and the forums here, I am not alone... far from it.

Why can't all the fans of Star Trek get there favorite Ships?
    edited November 2013
    Why can't all the fans of Star Trek get there favorite Ships?

You're kidding me, right?

In the case that you're not, let me explain in very clear words.

Making ships takes time. Cryptic wants to produce money making ships, because they're a business. So, given that making ships takes time, they're only going to be working on ships that will make them money. They can't go and please every single person. Also, besides the fact that CBS has said flat out No to any old TOS ships being at anything more than T1, those ships wouldn't sell well. So Cryptic's not going to make them.
    edited November 2013
    They're not refusing anything. They just simply don't have the time to add everything that everyone asks for. I'm sure that if they somehow got the magical ability to add everything they wanted in the space of one week, we would see everyone's requests added and more.

But they don't have magical abilities, do they?

Hey I have an Idea why don't they just say so or have they threw you and your
    Extrasensory perception..
  • stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hey I have an Idea why don't they just say so or have they threw you and your
    Extrasensory perception..
    They have said so in many interviews over the years. Look at some of the recent geko interviews. He says it takes around 20 days for the team to make a ship. They can't commit that much money to something if they're not sure it won't make them back more then it costs to produce.

Just because you want something doesn't mean 50k others also want it and are willing to buy it. They need to pick the projects that the most people are going to want to buy because they can only do so many of those projects a year.
  • sandormen123sandormen123 Member Posts: 862 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    anazonda wrote: »

Eyh. Don't knock him. -At least he uses commas and periods. -I would wish there where spacing between them tough. :D
    /Floozy
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Also, besides the fact that CBS has said flat out No to any old TOS ships being at anything more than T1, those ships wouldn't sell well. So Cryptic's not going to make them.

So the K'Tinga and the Excelsior made it in how ?

... thank you for your expertise . :cool:
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    (...) Also, besides the fact that CBS has said flat out No to any old TOS ships being at anything more than T1, those ships wouldn't sell well. So Cryptic's not going to make them.

While I don't know for sure, I think it has been stated that the "CBS said no" is a myth. If any, they said the T1 TOS vanity connie which was a preorder reward shouldn't be widely available, not even that it shouldn't be T5.

I personally don't care. There is no reason not to have all ships available at endgame because it would strike me as something new if STO would make any rhyme or reason regarding ship age/dimensions/capabilities :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    edited November 2013
    You're kidding me, right?

In the case that you're not, let me explain in very clear words.

Making ships takes time. Cryptic wants to produce money making ships, because they're a business. So, given that making ships takes time, they're only going to be working on ships that will make them money. They can't go and please every single person. Also, besides the fact that CBS has said flat out No to any old TOS ships being at anything more than T1, those ships wouldn't sell well. So Cryptic's not going to make them.

Easy Tough Guy,Since you brought up making ships is so tough like I hoped you would.
    Here's an easy way for them to get ships in I assume 3d Max Format or whatever format they want.Hold a Contest for starships allow the community to submit vessals they built from scratch and the winner gets he's ship in the game along with 10.000 zen.I can see you are one of those excuse guys I can't do this or I can't do that and that's the reason why this game is lacking.
    edited November 2013
    stf65 wrote: »
    They have said so in many interviews over the years. Look at some of the recent geko interviews. He says it takes around 20 days for the team to make a ship. They can't commit that much money to something if they're not sure it won't make them back more then it costs to produce.

Just because you want something doesn't mean 50k others also want it and are willing to buy it. They need to pick the projects that the most people are going to want to buy because they can only do so many of those projects a year.

The Original idea was to offer Dev help in making this game better.
    I seem to keep getting reasons why we can't..
  • stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I seem to keep getting reasons why we can't..

You need to be able to put together a compelling argument as to why something has to be in game. You cant make your request for content, ships or whatever sound like an "I want this" thread.

In your OP you listed a lot of things that you wanted but not good reasons as to why you want them. For example, you want a Soyuz or Saratoga class ship...ok, now tell me why this should be in the game?
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited November 2013

This is essentially the entire point of the forums. Make posts about the game, what would make it better, what you don't like, what we could do to make things more fun, etc.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'd like it if they re-arranged the missions so that 90% of the content wasnt level 50. "It's the journey that matters, not the destination." doesnt seem like that when the destination is most the content of the game.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Easy Tough Guy,Since you brought up making ships is so tough like I hoped you would.
    Here's an easy way for them to get ships in I assume 3d Max Format or whatever format they want.Hold a Contest for starships allow the community to submit vessals they built from scratch and the winner gets he's ship in the game along with 10.000 zen.I can see you are one of those excuse guys I can't do this or I can't do that and that's the reason why this game is lacking.

Ehehehehe...... Not going to happen:
    Story time everyone!

First things first, let me introduce you to Juju. Who is Juju, and why is she important? Simply put, Juju is a perfect example of why fan created things rarely make it into the actual series.

Way back when Skullgirls was first being developed, a fan of the game posted a character idea on the Skullgirls facebook page. Not a drawing or anything, just an idea. The Developers thought it was crazy enough that they actually created the character and slipped her into the game. Good feelings all around right?

Wrong.

The guy that posted the original idea noticed this, and demanded compensation. Thus began a months long legal battle between Lab Zero and the fan which lasted even into the Skullgirls' character-funding donation drive. Those of you that participated in it might remember that Juju was originally on the character roster. She was however, removed halfway through.

The final nail in the coffin came when the same fan posted information about their dealings with Lab Zero, violating the signed non-disclosure agreement. In consequence, the Devs removed Juju from the game, ret-conning her existence entirely.

tacofangs wrote: »
    This is essentially the entire point of the forums. Make posts about the game, what would make it better, what you don't like, what we could do to make things more fun, etc.

This is why I wish that more Devs visited the forums. :(
    edited November 2013
    stonewbie wrote: »
    You need to be able to put together a compelling argument as to why something has to be in game. You cant make your request for content, ships or whatever sound like an "I want this" thread.

In your OP you listed a lot of things that you wanted but not good reasons as to why you want them. For example, you want a Soyuz or Saratoga class ship...ok, now tell me why this should be in the game?

Why I want Miranda Class ships and Variant's for admiral level is.
    Star Trek story line Continuity.

Why I want a Federation Class DY series freighter or Oberth Variant is simply because it makes sense...I guess the Federation Transport service was sold to the ferengi.

Why I want more skins for starships that we buy.. hmmm...Call it Customer Service!!!!
  • kalanikalani Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Ehehehehe...... Not going to happen:
    (

That story doesn't even apply. If you read the fine print on any contest centered around making game content those rights are waved same as they are waved when you post an idea on these forums if you read their fine print. That guy in the story posted that on face book and as such his ideas remained his own property.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Trouble is, too many people equate a lack of a direct dev response (which is impossible; no dev is going to reply to every suggestion made on the forums) and a lack of action (devs may decide against making suggested changes for any number of reasons) with "not listening."
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
    edited November 2013
    kalani2 wrote: »
    That story doesn't even apply. If you read the fine print on any contest centered around making game content those rights are waved same as they are waved when you post an idea on these forums if you read their fine print. That guy in the story posted that on face book and as such his ideas remained his own property.

What are you Talking about? Did perfect world Created a rule against a ship making Contest?
    I'm sure if it is in there best Interest to change that rule they may consider it...I call that smart business.
    edited November 2013
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    Trouble is, too many people equate a lack of a direct dev response (which is impossible; no dev is going to reply to every suggestion made on the forums) and a lack of action (devs may decide against making suggested changes for any number of reasons) with "not listening."

A good point..
    edited November 2013
    What are you Talking about?

The odyssey was Part of a contest, "design the next enterprise contest" so the skullgirl thing wouldnt apply, besides, one of the devs stated that they will not accept fan-made designs unless its through a contest, and since the rules of the contest state that said designs are Cryptics to use as they see fit.

In fact the Vet ships were other designs from that contest as well.

I think the bortasqu' series of ships and the klingon vet ship were a seperate design contest.
    edited November 2013
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    So the K'Tinga and the Excelsior made it in how ?

... thank you for your expertise . :cool:

Note that I said old TOS ships. As for the fleet K'Tinga, perhaps the Klingons updated it and we don't know about it (think D'Kyr). Perhaps I should have been more clear; I was referring to old Fed ships.
    edited November 2013
    tenkari wrote: »
    The odyssey was Part of a contest, "design the next enterprise contest" so the skullgirl thing wouldnt apply, besides, one of the devs stated that they will not accept fan-made designs unless its through a contest, and since the rules of the contest state that said designs are Cryptics to use as they see fit.

In fact the Vet ships were other designs from that contest as well.

I think the bortasqu' series of ships and the klingon vet ship were a seperate design contest.

Thank you..Constructive input finally...
  • wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited November 2013

dear dev, i'm sure u never heard it yet: develop PvP without "soon(tm)"
    edited November 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Unfortunately that is not what I am seeing lately.

I know that some things happened because of the forums, I recall people bringing up the question of the impulse thrusters the Steamrunner and we later had a option B with then on the saucer section but that was ages ago.

I have little will or design to even talk to the developers because quite frankly they are often unwilling to engage in any kind of active discussion, most of the time I see "post from the heavens" where they are degrees as things are without any kind of follow up, this is not a discussion ... its a decree and it been very clear to me there is no wish from the developers to make things "more fun" because when they post they talk of the players not as of people but of numbers.

I am ... tired of "we listen" when in the end all decisions are made in a room by people that look at metrics and nothing more, I heard that line from Bethsoft and BioWare before ... and I got DA2 and Oblivion.

things boil down to several factors, "I want" or "we want" isnt always the best for everyone, it's abut creating a balance, a balance that also makes the game money. sometimes they have to sacrifice A to get B into the game. the fact that the Ambassador class is now in game shows that they are listening to the players.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited November 2013
    This is why I wish that more Devs visited the forums. :(

They visit, a lot. They just don't post.

f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Unfortunately that is not what I am seeing lately.

I know that some things happened because of the forums, I recall people bringing up the question of the impulse thrusters the Steamrunner and we later had a option B with then on the saucer section but that was ages ago.

I have little will or design to even talk to the developers because quite frankly they are often unwilling to engage in any kind of active discussion, most of the time I see "post from the heavens" where they are degrees as things are without any kind of follow up, this is not a discussion ... its a decree and it been very clear to me there is no wish from the developers to make things "more fun" because when they post they talk of the players not as of people but of numbers.

I am ... tired of "we listen" when in the end all decisions are made in a room by people that look at metrics and nothing more, I heard that line from Bethsoft and BioWare before ... and I got DA2 and Oblivion.

Most Devs don't engage in discussion of a given topic because their involvement often leads to incredible flame/troll wars. It is seen as better, overall, to "post from the heavans" as you put it, because they can get the info out, but not deal with flames. IMO, most of the topics players want to "discuss" are topics that they are already upset over, and have usually already made up their minds on. In this case, there is no real point to "discussion" as it will just be a battle of people declaring their point of view, and no one accepting or considering the other person's.

I disagree about us thinking of players as numbers. Discussions at work, all day, every day, involve how much fun something will be, or how players might react to a given change.

Most of my posts are inane, and more of an attempt to add levity to a thread than anything else. In the places where I do discuss things, it's always topics that I directly work with, and 90% of the time that is just explaining how a process works.

The post you quoted was me saying that the point of the forums was to give us feedback. And that it is. I did not say that the point of the forums was to have a discussion with the devs on any given topic.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
This discussion has been closed.