test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I like PvP and I like ground

Comments

• majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I still haven't heard why ground pvp would be "improved" by increasing the ability to one-shot another player. Is that a fun game mechanic? No. Do people enjoy getting ganked by opportunistic operative cloakers? It would be news to me.

If there is too much defense in ground pvp, then approach it from a more balanced angle that will result in more deaths by "many paper cuts". Or as nulonu said, "move/counter move". This method of defeat can still result in having an enjoyable experience.

The type of one hit killing you are concerned about is the ability for pulsewaves to one hit kill. Experienced operatives will target players with weakened shields. Even if they roll a dodge, they will die if they do not use a counter to the attack. Having 100% dodge won't change that at all. Such attacks aren't true one hit kills, another player first weakened your shields. What dodge will save you from are non-critically hitting standard super buffed pulsewave strikes.

However, as Cbrandt has mentioned two posts back, you do not need dodge to survive pulsewave strikes. Simply using counters to pulsewave strikes will save you.

As I have said several times in this thread, dodge is a foil to critical hit. Both stats play a vital role in Ground PvP, but neither of them should have a 100% chance to proc. Tell me, would you be fine with everyone running around with 100% Critical Chance? Why or why not?
    nulonu wrote: »
    So people abusing Distortion field the way is seen in the queues now is preferable? NPCs don't break target lock even when under operative cloak. If it functioned similar to Enhanced battle cloak with a longer duration, a player would still be able to use it to drop aggro from players, receive a longer energy resistance buff, and still be able to pick when to attack. That doesn't sound inferior to me. Dropping cloak while the shot animation plays is a small price to pay for everything distortion field does and like an enhanced battle cloak, the field would shroud the player once again after the animation plays.

I don't get this part. The first section you say it shouldn't break at all and here you say for some things it should. If it's broke for a grenade or a sniper shot, it's broke for all of them. According to Hawk, nothing is supposed to be hidden by it and a lot of things besides snipers and grenades are.
    I think the best solution to the animation bug is to simply fix the animation bug. If that is not possible, then I think that attacks with warning animations should deativate stealth for the duration. However, I do not think that normal attacks without a warning animation should trigger the stealth deactivation.

I routinely use distortion field to break sniper shot lock. As an example, I am shooting at Enemy A from 35 meters with a split beam rifle. Enemy B buffs up and activates sniper shot while targeting me from 40 meters. Currently, I can activate distortion field, breaking his sniper shot lock while I continue attacking Enemy A. If firing a split beam rifle broke my stealth, Enemy B would never lose target lock and distortion field would be useless to me in the situation.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • nulonunulonu Member Posts: 507 Arc User
    edited November 2013

I think the best solution to the animation bug is to simply fix the animation bug. If that is not possible, then I think that attacks with warning animations should deativate stealth for the duration. However, I do not think that normal attacks without a warning animation should trigger the stealth deactivation.

I routinely use distortion field to break sniper shot lock. As an example, I am shooting at Enemy A from 35 meters with a split beam rifle. Enemy B buffs up and activates sniper shot while targeting me from 40 meters. Currently, I can activate distortion field, breaking his sniper shot lock while I continue attacking Enemy A. If firing a split beam rifle broke my stealth, Enemy B would never lose target lock and distortion field would be useless to me in the situation.

Tira have you ever experimented with Enhanced battle cloak? Try using warp plasma or tractoring something. Try firing the romulan hyper plasma torpedo. The duration of visibility is directly tied to how long an activated power lasts. In your split beam example you wouldn't be visible long enough for the sniper to reestablish a lock and fire again. The longer the shot animation, the longer you're visible. Worst case scenario, you have to pause slightly on a quick firing weapon(or not at all if your enemy shifts targets after losing you) to give your distortion field time to shroud you and IMHO that is a more then acceptable adaptation to play style. You'd still be breaking aggro at will and attacking when you wanted and enjoy that for a longer period if my suggestion was implemented. This is all conjecture at this point anyway. Regardless, if/when they fix this issue I think it will change how people use distortion field no matter what they end up doing.
    edited November 2013
    Tira have you ever experimented with Enhanced battle cloak? Try using warp plasma or tractoring something. Try firing the romulan hyper plasma torpedo. The duration of visibility is directly tied to how long an activated power lasts. In your split beam example you wouldn't be visible long enough for the sniper to reestablish a lock and fire again. The longer the shot animation, the longer you're visible. Worst case scenario, you have to pause slightly on a quick firing weapon(or not at all if your enemy shifts targets after losing you) to give your distortion field time to shroud you and IMHO that is a more then acceptable adaptation to play style. You'd still be breaking aggro at will and attacking when you wanted and enjoy that for a longer period if my suggestion was implemented. This is all conjecture at this point anyway. Regardless, if/when they fix this issue I think it will change how people use distortion field no matter what they end up doing.

Conjecture indeed, the devs could come up with a viable solution that we haven't even considered. My concern with briefly ceasing fire is you do have that second delay before the target lock breaks. It's most noticeable if you have a target walk from 25 meters to 30 meters while using distortion field. The player doesn't instantly lose lock at 30 meters, it takes a second, long enough to tricorder scan if you can use it. I'd need to activate distortion field (0.5 second activation), wait two seconds, and fire again (0.5 second activation). By that time, three seconds have passed and my target's shields are now fully regenerated. Not the most desirable outcome, but something does need to happen in order to fix animation bugged stealth attacks. It would change playstyles with the ability rather significantly, though I suppose you could always boost the base stealth a bit higher to compensate.
  • cbrandtcbrandt Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Lest you forget, caB, I'm usually an eng myself so I'm well aware of the tank an eng can have and I have to disagree if you are saying a tac on omega can tank as well as that. I don't often run tac anymore (and it shows when I play as one! :P) but my physicist sci uses omega and while I definitely notice the extra tank from team ambush field, I still have to play carefully with the limited heals on that set up.

I am not 100% sure what your trying to say here. So correct me if I misunderstood and respond wrong.

What I said had nothing to do with being a engineer. Remember I use a engineer and a tactical officer at all times.

I am not saying a omega tac can tank as well as Carmen my MACO tac... What I am saying is they don't have to, they are doing much more damage from the constant extra crits. Plus they can tank almost just as well. Also since the dodge bonus is passive, to get the tanky bonus they [or me if I use it] don't have to click a thing, just live longer by dodging everything. [And that's when not moving...] MACO on the other hand has to have the shield cell clicked.

The point I was attempting to make is this: Since MACO is tanky and lacks critical hits and severity, and omega is all about damage with critical hits and severity, does it need to almost tank as well as MACO WITHOUT clicking a button?

[Notice they fixed MACOs team bonus, yet don't let it stack... Ambush field stacks X5.]

In the end a hard cap of dodge can work, or maybe something like making dodge a click power like shields, also stopping team ambush stacks would help.

CABrandt and Carmen, spawn guardians.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tip of the Spear
    >
    edited November 2013
    cbrandt wrote: »
    [Notice they fixed MACOs team bonus, yet don't let it stack... Ambush field stacks X5.]

In the end a hard cap of dodge can work, or maybe something like making dodge a click power like shields, also stopping team ambush stacks would help.

That would be interesting with Tactical Readyness x5 stacked up. +50 All Damage resistance and maximum resistance to slow and confuse. While we are on the topic of set bonuses, the Adapted MACO's Blood of the Warrior does not work at all. Imagine Blood of the warrior stacked up 5 times. +12.5% All Damage, +10% Critical Chance, +100% Critical Severity...I wonder what would happen if the passive worked and a full Adapted MACO team fought a full Omega Force team.

Hawk told us on page two that a dodge cap probably won't happen. However, he mentioned a "stack group". I am assuming that's some form a diminishing returns to prevent 100% dodge chance. I could see that helping significantly.
  • solarstreaksolarstreak Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The type of one hit killing you are concerned about is the ability for pulsewaves to one hit kill. Experienced operatives will target players with weakened shields. Even if they roll a dodge, they will die if they do not use a counter to the attack. Having 100% dodge won't change that at all. Such attacks aren't true one hit kills, another player first weakened your shields. What dodge will save you from are non-critically hitting standard super buffed pulsewave strikes.

However, as Cbrandt has mentioned two posts back, you do not need dodge to survive pulsewave strikes. Simply using counters to pulsewave strikes will save you.

As I have said several times in this thread, dodge is a foil to critical hit. Both stats play a vital role in Ground PvP, but neither of them should have a 100% chance to proc. Tell me, would you be fine with everyone running around with 100% Critical Chance? Why or why not?

Yes when I was saying one-hit kills I should have clarified, shields down etc. You can't look at it in a vacuum, as a real game scenario never is.

The unfortunate truth of ground pvp is... we do run around with 100% dodge pretty much all the time, yet it is still somewhat balanced. If everyone was running around with 100% crit chance, it would no doubt be a lot worse then it is now. Dodge is supposed to be the foil to crit, but due to the amount of damage that is thrown around we need it for protection from non crits also. So any significant change to dodge should address the reason we stack dodge the way we do in the first place, our health pool is too small. Increase the size of the health pool, decrease dodge significantly, and do some power tuning and it could definitely work. :)

Counters to pulsewave strikes, yes they work of course. If you have the time to activate them before you are hit. Not everyone has godlike reflexes to be able to respond the instant someone uncloaks on them. I would really like to see passive stealth detection improved somehow, by a trait or otherwise. Just a few meters of stealth detection to be able to hit a buff. Or maybe nerf the covert trait slightly so other stealth detection means actually work. I know you can hear a cloaker buffing, but that is kind of an old fashioned method to rely on. Just a quality of life improvement to give ground pvp more appeal.
    Selun'x Alien Sci - Zarza Reman Tac
    edited November 2013
    Yes when I was saying one-hit kills I should have clarified, shields down etc. You can't look at it in a vacuum, as a real game scenario never is.

The unfortunate truth of ground pvp is... we do run around with 100% dodge pretty much all the time, yet it is still somewhat balanced. If everyone was running around with 100% crit chance, it would no doubt be a lot worse then it is now. Dodge is supposed to be the foil to crit, but due to the amount of damage that is thrown around we need it for protection from non crits also. So any significant change to dodge should address the reason we stack dodge the way we do in the first place, our health pool is too small. Increase the size of the health pool, decrease dodge significantly, and do some power tuning and it could definitely work. :)

Counters to pulsewave strikes, yes they work of course. If you have the time to activate them before you are hit. Not everyone has godlike reflexes to be able to respond the instant someone uncloaks on them. I would really like to see passive stealth detection improved somehow, by a trait or otherwise. Just a few meters of stealth detection to be able to hit a buff. Or maybe nerf the covert trait slightly so other stealth detection means actually work. I know you can hear a cloaker buffing, but that is kind of an old fashioned method to rely on. Just a quality of life improvement to give ground pvp more appeal.

Damage resistance + Healing is the foil for standard damage. Season 8 is going to make Medics significantly tougher with the Mk XII Medic kit. Medical Tricorder IV and... *cough* Biofilter sweep II (I would have rather had Tachyon harmonics). The extra team wide damage resistance will help significantly though. Believe it or not, Medical Tricorder III is currently healing far less than intended on holodeck, fixed on tribble. You may have noticed this, I didn't until I saw the patch notes. I could see an increase to health and shield points to be beneficial. Perhaps Cryptic will introduce a +5% health and shield points passive in the reputation system eventually.

As for detecting cloakers, I don't have lighting fast reflexes either. I usually use the NPC tab in chat. When I see the ambush callout, or when I hear an ambush buff activate, I ready defenses. While I don't actually activate the defenses prematurely, I do start moving around to throw them off. There's also shattering harmonics set for surefire detection, but it's only safe to use on engineers due to the low base health points.

Season Eight is also bringing two immunity to oneshot (borderline immunity to death) abilities. Hunker Down is +900 bonus resistances, basically a ground version of the Tier V Voyager ablative armor console. The downside is you are rooted in place, rather than locked out of weapons fire. The second is the Tier V rep passive (5 minute cooldown) with +1000 (One Thousand) All damage resistance, +33% All damage (Large Power cell basically), and +22.5 hit points every 20 seconds for 20 seconds. Talk about a survivability boost. If dodge is still this powerful when Season 8 comes out, fights will get much longer.
    edited November 2013
    Damage resistance + Healing is the foil for standard damage. Season 8 is going to make Medics significantly tougher with the Mk XII Medic kit. Medical Tricorder IV and... *cough* Biofilter sweep II (I would have rather had Tachyon harmonics). The extra team wide damage resistance will help significantly though. Believe it or not, Medical Tricorder III is currently healing far less than intended on holodeck, fixed on tribble. You may have noticed this, I didn't until I saw the patch notes. I could see an increase to health and shield points to be beneficial. Perhaps Cryptic will introduce a +5% health and shield points passive in the reputation system eventually.

As for detecting cloakers, I don't have lighting fast reflexes either. I usually use the NPC tab in chat. When I see the ambush callout, or when I hear an ambush buff activate, I ready defenses. While I don't actually activate the defenses prematurely, I do start moving around to throw them off. There's also shattering harmonics set for surefire detection, but it's only safe to use on engineers due to the low base health points.

Season Eight is also bringing two immunity to oneshot (borderline immunity to death) abilities. Hunker Down is +900 bonus resistances, basically a ground version of the Tier V Voyager ablative armor console. The downside is you are rooted in place, rather than locked out of weapons fire. The second is the Tier V rep passive (5 minute cooldown) with +1000 (One Thousand) All damage resistance, +33% All damage (Large Power cell basically), and +22.5 hit points every 20 seconds for 20 seconds. Talk about a survivability boost. If dodge is still this powerful when Season 8 comes out, fights will get much longer.

Heard about the boost to medical tricorder too.. not that it was really needed lol. :)

The root on self from hunker down is enough to put me off a bit, that and you can't wear the omega shield and still get it since it's a 3 piece set bonus. But we'll see I guess. The tier v power does sound kinda.. yeah op.

Regarding Resists + Healing foiling standard damage, it sounds good in theory, but it leads me to this thought.. If dodge chance is supposed to be the foil to crit, then having dodge chance capped at about 35% or so, so we dodge at about the same rate we crit, would work? Without other changes, I have my doubts...

*rides off on a v-rex, tired of typing*
  • simeion1simeion1 Member Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Well I can see a nine or ten minute cooldown on this. And does it not have a certain range that your health has to be before use. Now the twenty second up time will be enough to hopefully allow your hypo to come up and I don't know how many times I have died with half Heath because of a DoT doff, this might at least help with those annoying DoTs that you sit there and watch your self die. Plus all damage, does this mean orbitals and other kits are going to be buffed.
    320x240.jpg
    edited November 2013
    The dyson tier 5 ability isn't really OP at all. That +1000 is a bit misleading. The ground set's hunker down makes you more resistant then this does. It's more like a vascular regenerator that gives you a damage boost. Unlike the other rep clickies tho, the cool down is 5 minutes w/o tac ini. It'll be useful for sure.
    edited November 2013
    Yeah misunderstood the part in tira's post about Hunker Down acting like the voyager console.. definitely interesting. I heard the rep power was being effected by tac init, wasn't sure if that was intended.. but if it still is it should definitely change a few things.
    edited November 2013
    The dyson tier 5 ability isn't really OP at all. That +1000 is a bit misleading. The ground set's hunker down makes you more resistant then this does. It's more like a vascular regenerator that gives you a damage boost. Unlike the other rep clickies tho, the cool down is 5 minutes w/o tac ini. It'll be useful for sure.

Does tac int effect this new power, because I don't think it effects the old omega teir five power. Never really paid attention.

Dodge is a mechanic that at least everyone is playing with, true caitians might have a better advantage. How do you take this away when most people that play caitians spent zen on them.
    320x240.jpg
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    simeion1 wrote: »
    Does tac int effect this new power, because I don't think it effects the old omega teir five power. Never really paid attention.

it brings it down to 1 min 30 seconds dosn't it? :S
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    thay8472 wrote: »
    it brings it down to 1 min 30 seconds dosn't it? :S

No, I've tried using TI when fighting Borg on Deferi and such to reduce the CD, but it doesn't work.

Either by bug, or by design, it doesn't work. So no worries about this ground-GDF being activated every minute and half or so by people on the ground.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • buccaneerdtbbuccaneerdtb Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Dodge is a mechanic that at least everyone is playing with, true caitians might have a better advantage. How do you take this away when most people that play caitians spent zen on them.

Honestly, with all the ways to stack dodge is 10% really that big? The jumping for flank is worse IMO, along with the invisible walls in Shanty Town ruining it for all non catians.

The zen argument is a non issue, they always reserve the right to rebalance. What will you do if they make a playable Voth with all the traits of Catians plus extra crit chance? Zen to win is a bad idea all around. They offered Catians as playable for the looks, it was not intended to give an advantage. They also have Ferengi, Klingon, Joined Trill, etc. If it is supposed to be P2W then what do these races offer?

TL/DR: Catians were put in the game for those who liked them from the cartoon, not to give players advantaged in ground PvP.
    edited November 2013
    mimey2 wrote: »
    No, I've tried using TI when fighting Borg on Deferi and such to reduce the CD, but it doesn't work.

Either by bug, or by design, it doesn't work. So no worries about this ground-GDF being activated every minute and half or so by people on the ground.

Hmm when did that happen? I'm pretty sure tac ini used to affect the tier 5 omega clickie. I don't play a tac much so I never noticed it wasn't. Thay is correct that tac ini is affecting dyson rep clickie on tribble. Maybe it's not going to stay that way.
    edited November 2013
    Honestly, with all the ways to stack dodge is 10% really that big? The jumping for flank is worse IMO, along with the invisible walls in Shanty Town ruining it for all non catians.

The zen argument is a non issue, they always reserve the right to rebalance. What will you do if they make a playable Voth with all the traits of Catians plus extra crit chance? Zen to win is a bad idea all around. They offered Catians as playable for the looks, it was not intended to give an advantage. They also have Ferengi, Klingon, Joined Trill, etc. If it is supposed to be P2W then what do these races offer?

TL/DR: Catians were put in the game for those who liked them from the cartoon, not to give players advantaged in ground PvP.

You know that all races have some type of bonus, Klingons get bonus to melee damage. It would help the lunge. Joined Trills have better regen. Ferengi is playable by everyone and get a bonus reduction with EC. And if they offered a Voth I would not care. Although never seen a Voth in Starfleet.

Now the invisible wall is an issue. I wish the Devs would remove the wall or make it visible. But Shanty is not the only place you see invisible walls. They are in other PvP maps.

There is an option that allows you to face your target. This will prevent your target from flanking you. I suggest turning it on. Will not help against multiple opponents. Which you could not do to begin with.
    320x240.jpg
    edited November 2013
    There is an option that allows you to face your target. This will prevent your target from flanking you. I suggest turning it on. Will not help against multiple opponents. Which you could not do to begin with.

You didn't know that Catians can flank from the front just by jumping?
    Catians are the only race capable of abusing the shanty town terrain without cover shields. They can jump into the alley when under fire, then they can scale back up the wall to harass the other team with minimal risk to themselves. Catians are also the only race capable of getting jump flank kills. You know what I am talking about, using the catain's +75% jump to leap over a player's head while firing a pulsewave flank shot. The player has to do a complete 180 turn, and you can just hop back over their head to continue the cycle.
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=8436691&postcount=46
    edited November 2013

Very important note, the person behind the "futurecaptain" account here on the forums is not nulonu. Biggles intentionally took the name here on the forums for himself.
    edited November 2013
    Regarding Resists + Healing foiling standard damage, it sounds good in theory, but it leads me to this thought.. If dodge chance is supposed to be the foil to crit, then having dodge chance capped at about 35% or so, so we dodge at about the same rate we crit, would work? Without other changes, I have my doubts...
    I wouldn't go quite that low, it's possible for Tactical officers to reach 60% Critical chance for brief periods of time. I had suggested 75% as a cap, but as Hawk said, they don't want to cap dodge at this time.

The Nukara Strikeforce, New Romulus, and Omega Force Tier V reputation systems are intentionally locked out of cooldown reduction when they were released with Season 7. There was a dev post about it in the Tribble test section on how they didn't want the tier V abilities reduced by cooldown reducing abilities. If the Dyson reputation is reduced by Tactical Initiative, the devs really need to know about it. +1000 damage resistance isn't too shabby though, it's enough to maintain a 75% all damage resistance by the damage resistance diminishing returns formula standards. It's going to make playing with that ability active rather difficult to kill.
    When directly above a target, the cat is within a player's rear 180 degree arc. Flanking damage is applied. It's why you so many cat players jumping back and forth over a player's head.
    edited November 2013
    It's going to make playing with that passive active rather difficult to kill.

Huh? How can you have a passive active? Are they not opposites, lol?
    edited November 2013
    Huh? How can you have a passive active? Are they not opposites, lol?

That was a misstype on my part, I have correct the wording, thanks for calling it.
    edited November 2013
    That was a misstype on my part, I have correct the wording, thanks for calling it.

I was not trying to correct wording, it just sounded funny to me.
    edited November 2013
    I was not trying to correct wording, it just sounded funny to me.

It was at that, an ability is not a passive. I happened to type the wrong word. It's what I get for working on two replies to two different topics at once.
  • tron4eternitytron4eternity Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Very important note, the person behind the "futurecaptain" account here on the forums is not nulonu. Biggles intentionally took the name here on the forums for himself.

Biggles what lol? People just love saying my name when some kind of QQ is involved I guess!
    edited November 2013
    I wouldn't go quite that low, it's possible for Tactical officers to reach 60% Critical chance for brief periods of time. I had suggested 75% as a cap, but as Hawk said, they don't want to cap dodge at this time.

The Nukara Strikeforce, New Romulus, and Omega Force Tier V reputation systems are intentionally locked out of cooldown reduction when they were released with Season 7. There was a dev post about it in the Tribble test section on how they didn't want the tier V abilities reduced by cooldown reducing abilities. If the Dyson reputation is reduced by Tactical Initiative, the devs really need to know about it. +1000 damage resistance isn't too shabby though, it's enough to maintain a 75% all damage resistance by the damage resistance diminishing returns formula standards. It's going to make playing with that ability active rather difficult to kill.

When directly above a target, the cat is within a player's rear 180 degree arc. Flanking damage is applied. It's why you so many cat players jumping back and forth over a player's head.

Yep been doing this since day one it seems simply the logical move and anyone doing it too clearly knows how to play the game. In any case cats are an extremely minor issue now in ground pvp as opposed to a year ago. Really it's shanty that provides the only significant advantage to cats now. Once disable immunites are readded the pounce chaining will no longer be an issue. The extra dodge a cat has is useless if they have no dmg resists left to to physicists hiding behind constant hard cover only coming out to release doff exploited debuffs than hiding again. Think a popular kind of chocolate to know which pvp fleet I am referring too that literally can only win via this tactic. Gonna suck for them when the stacking gets nerfed :) since they have no good tacts.
    edited November 2013
    Biggles what lol? People just love saying my name when some kind of QQ is involved I guess!

Back in March you were "futurecaptain" here on the forums, which is Nulonu's handle. I just wanted buccaneerdtb to be aware that the reply I made was replying to you in his linked post, rather than replying to nulonu.
    edited November 2013
    Back in March you were "futurecaptain" here on the forums, which is Nulonu's handle. I just wanted buccaneerdtb to be aware that the reply I made was replying to you in his linked post, rather than replying to nulonu.

I chose the name because I was a captain playing in the future simple :)
    edited November 2013
    I chose the name because I was a captain playing in the future simple :)

The word 'was' is past tense. Technically you 'will be' playing in the future. You cannot have already done something that is yet to happen.

You actually are a Vice Admiral, playing in the present, pretending it is the future.
    edited November 2013
    The word 'was' is past tense. Technically you 'will be' playing in the future. You cannot have already done something that is yet to happen.

You actually are a Vice Admiral, playing in the present, pretending it is the future.

Umm yeah "brain rattles" In any case that guy gets used as a placeholder now anyway!