test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Subspace Field Modulator is a suicide button in Season 8!!!

samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
So most of us are aware of the Subspace Field Modulator... possible the most useful device in the game. It is available from one of the missions in the Devidian story arc, and it grants you damage resistance AND a defense bonus for several seconds. For some reason when it was introduced 2 years ago Cryptic decided to also bestow it with a -400 proton damage resistance. I have no idea why they did that seeing as proton weapons didn't exist, it seems to serve no purpose. Unless one of yall would enlighten me. However, Proton weapons DO exist now and this device will become a suicide button once season 8 is released. I realize Cryptic probable just missed this, so my question is... Do yall intend to fix this before season 8 releases? If someone could enlighten me to the exact implications of said side effect I would be most obliged. ;)
Post edited by samt1996 on

Comments

• chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    samt1996 wrote: »
    So most of us are aware of the Subspace Field Modulator... possible the most useful device in the game. It is available from one of the missions in the Devidian story arc, and it grants you damage resistance AND a defense bonus for several seconds. For some reason when it was introduced 2 years ago Cryptic decided to also bestow it with a -400 proton damage resistance. I have no idea why they did that seeing as proton weapons didn't exist, it seems to serve no purpose. Unless one of yall would enlighten me. However, Proton weapons DO exist now and this device will become a suicide button once season 8 is released. I realize Cryptic probable just missed this, so my question is... Do yall intend to fix this before season 8 releases? If someone could enlighten me to the exact implications of said side effect I would be most obliged. ;)

It gives you proton resistance and some gorn vessels use gorn.

Did you think it gave you 400 proton damage?
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Suicide in PvP, but not against Voth since they use Antiproton weapons.
  • eulifdaviseulifdavis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Borg cutting beams used to be proton damage, now they're kinetic. As for the "story" reason for the -400 proton resistance, the general idea is it phase-shifts your entire ship into the Devidian's plane of existence, and since they're extremely vulnerable to proton damage, so are you while you're phased.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Still a great console. Just don't use it in the wrong situation. As for PvP..... there are many ships not on proton stuff so it's still good.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I also remember the devs stating somewhere that the proton penalty should be a problem soon (tm). I think they planned to add Undine or Iconians content that used Proton as main damage. Here is the quote :
    Hey guys,

So just a bit of clarification may be needed =)....

The physical damage will be changing shortly (sometime in the next week or 2) Nothing crazy but it will be something a bit more useful in space. SO YAY!!!!!

The Proton damage is a new damage type I have added to the game... I plan on using this when I can and when it makes since. So as of right now I would say your generally safe when using the item... being there is no proton damage coming your way.. YET!!!!! So I have added the Proton damage debuff as part of the Devidian Tech. You will learn why as the upcoming weeks release more info. It all fits in the story =). I think it does anyway... (runs off and checks with the writers!!!!)

Hope you guys like the episodes. Good luck and thanks for the feedback

Chad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    vocmcp wrote: »
    Still a great console. Just don't use it in the wrong situation. As for PvP..... there are many ships not on proton stuff so it's still good.

Sure not every pvp ship will run proton weapons, but since it is a new toy, then lots will try it out and likely have at least one proton weapon in case someone uses this device. So it will be a huge risk to run this device in PvP.
  • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Thanks for the clarification all! I really hope this is fixed or modified somehow. I can't see any reason why this should stay the same...
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited November 2013
    This is the single most useful device in game and it was free to boot. My paranoid self wants to believe that Cryptic is deliberately nerfing this freebie so you will be forced to buy something in store. :(

I am okay with the idea of it being vulnerable to proton weapons for balance but -400 is absurd. It is essentialy insta-jib which is a terrible idea for PvP in general. We already have too many insta-jib OP setups.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Thanks for the clarification all! I really hope this is fixed or modified somehow. I can't see any reason why this should stay the same...

I wouldn't expect it to be "fixed," as it's really not broken. Personally, I'm glad they're finally introducing a weakness to the Modulator...the easy solution is to not use it when you're fighting Voth.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    eulifdavis wrote: »
    Borg cutting beams used to be proton damage, now they're kinetic. As for the "story" reason for the -400 proton resistance, the general idea is it phase-shifts your entire ship into the Devidian's plane of existence, and since they're extremely vulnerable to proton damage, so are you while you're phased.

I totally forgot that we fought them with proton packs. :-)

So I'm guessing the Voth weapons we get will be great against Dividians.
  • sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The red matter capacitor is the best device in the game, although the modulator comes close. (and it's free, unlike the RMC) The only downer about these items is that they don't leave gearing a bit brain dead in some regards as my ships only have two device slots and these are the only two without charges.
  • reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    - res is no problem if you do not get hit.

+ the shields do not care what your hull res is like....
  • lordlalolordlalo Member Posts: 460 Arc User
    edited November 2013

If a dev would just say they were trolling us I'd LOL.
    Said NO to Arc. Gets punished by not being given a free outfit, free lobi, and free shuttle. Now forced to use Arc's site when trying to get to STO site. Still not rewards for beta testing the Arc website by force. Bravo Cryptic.
  • pokersmith1pokersmith1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    chalpen wrote: »
    some gorn vessels use gorn.

:D

/10 char
    Elite Defense Starfleet
    Elite Defense Stovokor
  • capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    lordlalo wrote: »
    If a dev would just say they were trolling us I'd LOL.

The Dev's TROLL.....US? Im fairly certain they do that as much as possible.....
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kalvorax#3775 kalvorax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    eulifdavis wrote: »

but....how often do you encounter Devidans in SPACE? :P zero, as they are a ground enemy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    since im not likely to use the modulator in sphere or PVP anyways, it makes no difference to me. i only use the device when the situation calls for it, multiple attackers. since that is mostly not an issue in pve it does not get used too much and the rommies get it the wrong side of their story arc where as the feds and klingons get it a earlier in their progressions. and the mission in question where you get it OP is "skirmish", the first mission on that arc.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • possumlipspossumlips Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Did anyone notice on the video of season 8 preview, about 3/4 through the video that Brandon "Branflakes" showed his setup after a person asked what his ship and setup was that he was using a subspace field modulator in his device slot on his Avenger against the Voth? He also had it set up with 7 spiral disruptor beams, one Elachi torpedo and the tac console slots full of disruptor coils. I did a similar setup on my Galor only I couldn't afford the 40K+ dilithium for each addional Spiral disruptor beam so I bought one polarized disruptor beam array, used a rare hybrid plasma-disruptor beam array I got from some mission and bought one fleet disruptor beam array then parked sideways next to the Crystalin Entity so I could hit it with both sides and got 3rd place. I used the red matter capacitor also.
    I wish they would make a token so you could make ships like the Galor and D'Kora account bound. I messed up and opened some D'Kora weapons from the lobi store on the wrong captain. Sorry for going a lil off topic.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    :D

/10 char

This :D

/10char
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • crypt1c1crypt1c1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The only enemy that I know of that can deal proton damage in space is tholians....
  • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited November 2013

"Fired for incompetence."
  • davehilanderdavehilander Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Did you think it gave you 400 proton damage?

Gorn are tough, but launching your own crew at the enemy? That is real confidence in your claws!
  • bkell1977abkell1977a Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hmm, but it says -400 proton damage resist so shouldn't that equal +400 anti proton damage resist, seeing as anti protons are the opposite:P

I know, what a load of rubbish.
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    macronius wrote: »
    This is the single most useful device in game and it was free to boot. My paranoid self wants to believe that Cryptic is deliberately nerfing this freebie so you will be forced to buy something in store. :(

I am okay with the idea of it being vulnerable to proton weapons for balance but -400 is absurd. It is essentialy insta-jib which is a terrible idea for PvP in general. We already have too many insta-jib OP setups.
    You do know that this has been the stats of the device since a long time? It was never "nerfed" in any way as it already has the -400 Proton Damage resist stat. So, how can you claim that they just nerfed the device? I don't get how you can say that when the proof is actually quite the contrary that they're nerfing it.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I never use them. Only one per char and I cant remember to move devices everytime I switch ships, so I kept it out of my panic button tray.
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Only one per char and I cant remember to move devices everytime I switch ships, so I kept it out of my panic button tray.

That really bugs me, since there's other equipment in the game which you can own multiple copies of, but only equip one per ship.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    That really bugs me, since there's other equipment in the game which you can own multiple copies of, but only equip one per ship.

I agree it's a pointless limitation. If Cryptic gets enough feedback on it they might change it to the one equip per ship restriction.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Eh, I'm still going to use it. Proton damage is so rare, you're hardly ever going to run into someone who has it. :rolleyes:
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    They haven't changed that device since it first came out and it was always intended to make you really, really vulnerable to proton damage the same way that Devidians are.

The only difference is that now they have enemies that do proton damage. So don't use that device when you're fighting somebody who might do proton damage...

Working as designed, I say.

Plenty of other panic buttons available in-game, so people can use one of those.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,862 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    Sure not every pvp ship will run proton weapons, but since it is a new toy, then lots will try it out and likely have at least one proton weapon in case someone uses this device. So it will be a huge risk to run this device in PvP.

Except people aren't going to do that...they aren't willing to give up a cannon slot and why they're asking for the proton weapon to be made into turret. Plus lets be honest...even with the negative I don't know if one proton weapon is gonna make up for the fact that every other weapon the player has has negatively affected.