test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Will we ever have Unique Loot drops from Mobs?

rarianrakistararianrakista Member Posts: 0 Arc User
The reputation system is killing my desire to level alts, one of the major reasons I play any MMO. It is the variety of different character archetypes, skins, and playing styles that keeps a title engaging for me when there is so much competition out there for my attention.

A major design decision to make all unique gear part a mission reward system when leveling and a reputation grind at the end means I have no reason to play any old content as everything is a race to 50 to start a 40 day reputation grind. It is mind numbing to log into a toon that you want to play but you have to wait 40 days to do so. I already have two fully kitted out toon with Fleet and Lobi gear but to get a certain console or a certain weapon for a particular build you need to do the rep system. The rep system makes a great deal of gear available to everyone and in that sense it is one of the more equitable end game loot systems in the industry; however, because of the time investment and lack of any unique loot at all -- besides DOFFS, it is just, quite frankly, boring.

So, if you have followed me and read this, can I ask a question: can any of you see a time for STO to have STFs with unique loot drops from ground and space bosses like in other games? Do you agree with me in thinking Cryptic has an equitable but flawed system? It has lead to cookie cutter builds as well as gear progression stalling for a week or more once you hit max level and buy a full set of Mk XII Very Rare Gear. I would just like a chance at a unique drop once a STF, is that so much to ask?
Post edited by rarianrakista on

Comments

• Options
    wjeremy16wjeremy16 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    They used too.

then they moved it all to the rep system in season 7.
  • Options
    g0h4n4g0h4n4 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The reputation system is killing my desire to level alts, one of the major reasons I play any MMO. It is the variety of different character archetypes, skins, and playing styles that keeps a title engaging for me when there is so much competition out there for my attention.

A major design decision to make all unique gear part a mission reward system when leveling and a reputation grind at the end means I have no reason to play any old content as everything is a race to 50 to start a 40 day reputation grind. It is mind numbing to log into a toon that you want to play but you have to wait 40 days to do so. I already have two fully kitted out toon with Fleet and Lobi gear but to get a certain console or a certain weapon for a particular build you need to do the rep system. The rep system makes a great deal of gear available to everyone and in that sense it is one of the more equitable end game loot systems in the industry; however, because of the time investment and lack of any unique loot at all -- besides DOFFS, it is just, quite frankly, boring.

So, if you have followed me and read this, can I ask a question: can any of you see a time for STO to have STFs with unique loot drops from ground and space bosses like in other games? Do you agree with me in thinking Cryptic has an equitable but flawed system? It has lead to cookie cutter builds as well as gear progression stalling for a week or more once you hit max level and buy a full set of Mk XII Very Rare Gear. I would just like a chance at a unique drop once a STF, is that so much to ask?

hmmm, it's still better than the 400+ STF's you needed to do just to get 1 Very rare Borg requistion ship/ ground set in the old days. Took me just less than a 1000 STF's to complete my ground set, I kid you not, that's more than 40 days.

We were skeptical at first about making the unqiue items part of a reward system, but it's better in some ways, however the rep system not beig account wide is an issue for those having more than 1 toon. However even under the system, your gear is still character bound.

No to the old system for rep gear, takes too long and is even worse of a grind
    Now found frequenting MWO short term and then Star Citizen long term. Raged Quit PVP long ago
    - Gohan (House of Beautiful /Sad Pandas)
  • Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm all for near impossible content for a shiney at the end...not a chance at a single item that is rolled for by the rest of the group.

The only thing that could come close to this in game is the borg sci officer you get in Khitomer, NWS title and special customers from stfs....i wouldn't count those
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    While yes the rep system can be boring and have its downsides, it is also better than some MMO's that grant you unique gear simply by chance do to loot gens. In those instances it could take you 1 time running to get what you are after to taking years, so figure what seems a better system one that with time has a chance with no guarantees or one that guarantees but takes time! I for one don't mind the rep system too much just the lack of simpler ways to earn the needed rep marks, however they have been as of recent adding in quicker ways to get them, so it is becoming better manageable. :rolleyes:
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    maskedmarvel1maskedmarvel1 Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    There are two things that could make the reputation system a lot better for me , one would be to get the bird girl back on risa or some other world and let her stay as a permanent part of the game , and the other would be to make reputation gear account bound , my main character has a whole bunch of mxii romulan space gear and weapons rotting away in his bank because he's since moved on to omega gear , and he cant pass it on to any of my other toons who could really use the stuff , it cost hundreds of thousands of dil and thousands of marks and a lot of time to get that gear and now it never gets used.
  • Options
    jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Wait until the new rep tokens come out in season 8, wont be so bad to level up then ;)
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    One of the major reasons behind the whole rep system is not just the guarantee of getting what you are after with some time invested, but also a needed sink for game currency as to not flood the market more so than it is currently. :rolleyes:
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    One of the major problems of the reputation system is a complete lack of exitement. On day one you know exactly at which point in the future you'ill get your epic mk xii gear. You grind, you fill in the projects and you wait... and then you do it again and again and again.

I very much prefered the old system. At least once you got a complete set you were exited. Now you just shrug and move on.
  • Options
    xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    jockey1979 wrote: »
    Wait until the new rep tokens come out in season 8, wont be so bad to level up then ;)

yep the game gets easier and easier as the years go by, monkeys will be able to play this without worry.

No matter what people say, I LOVED.. cant stress how much I did, enjoy the unique item drops. Took me awile to get my ground set and space set, but I felt that I achieved something that most couldn't in game. And it was well worth it.

Now.. everyone and there mom can get everything in game. Its just sooo silly in my mind.
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • Options
    earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    There are two things that could make the reputation system a lot better for me , one would be to get the bird girl back on risa or some other world and let her stay as a permanent part of the game , and the other would be to make reputation gear account bound , my main character has a whole bunch of mxii romulan space gear and weapons rotting away in his bank because he's since moved on to omega gear , and he cant pass it on to any of my other toons who could really use the stuff , it cost hundreds of thousands of dil and thousands of marks and a lot of time to get that gear and now it never gets used.

Well, instead of moving whatever gear you use on one ship, to another ship you decide to use, why not put that Rom gear on that other ship, and use something different from what you normally use?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    My other game is DC Universe Online, where the best drops are random drops. (And the way the game works, you get skill points for completing unique sets, regardless of level.) The loot system is one of the major complaints about the game, with people eventually giving up on getting some gear.
    I really like the predictibility of the current STO gear.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    At times, I would like if STO went back to classic sandbox MMO routes in having difficult dungeons with a boss that has a chance to drop unique drops.

In a way, Terrordrome was the closest we ever came to this. And to some Degree, Cure Ground as well. Where there was a rare chance they dropped the awesome Borg Medical Kit.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Can we keep the current reputation system and also add some random uniques for variety as well?

I'm all in agreement that it is a fair system that would be the envy of some MMOs but I get more excitement playing Dabo than I do finishing a STF for the 500th time. If we are going to have to level through the STFs by grinding marks why not have unique drops be part of the experience? They could compliment not replace the current rep gear.
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Can we keep the current reputation system and also add some random uniques for variety as well?

I'm all in agreement that it is a fair system that would be the envy of some MMOs but I get more excitement playing Dabo than I do finishing a STF for the 500th time. If we are going to have to level through the STFs by grinding marks why not have unique drops be part of the experience? They could compliment not replace the current rep gear.

What I'd like to see is a combination of the current system AND the old system. I.e. the player being thrown the occasional bone by reintroducing the old tech drops into the stfs as a chance to get pieces of set gear earlier than you would be able to in the rep system as it stands. I would give them a very small chance of dropping one piece in with the loot bag at the end of a map. Each map dropping it's own piece, rather like how the old system.

And yes, I say this as one of those poor souls who ran CSE 1000+ times on one character to get one proto engine tech. (2 runs after getting the first, I got my second proto engine DERP).
    as for the ground sets, I got 2/3 of it before s7 went live and retired Foxy lil Roxy. I ended up having to wait until I could hit t5 rep before I could get the last bits as well as the outfits! :(
    I need a beer.

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    swamarian wrote: »
    My other game is DC Universe Online, where the best drops are random drops. (And the way the game works, you get skill points for completing unique sets, regardless of level.) The loot system is one of the major complaints about the game, with people eventually giving up on getting some gear.
    I really like the predictibility of the current STO gear.
    I didn't play DCUO enough to become familiar with that, but it was something that I became painfully familiar with back when I played Diablo 2.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    lostusthornlostusthorn Member Posts: 844
    edited November 2013
    Can't also overlook the replay effect of having to run missions for the otherwise unobtainable loot drops.
    Done right it will extend the time people play because they want that specific drop.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    While yes the rep system can be boring and have its downsides, it is also better than some MMO's that grant you unique gear simply by chance do to loot gens. In those instances it could take you 1 time running to get what you are after to taking years, so figure what seems a better system one that with time has a chance with no guarantees or one that guarantees but takes time! I for one don't mind the rep system too much just the lack of simpler ways to earn the needed rep marks, however they have been as of recent adding in quicker ways to get them, so it is becoming better manageable. :rolleyes:

I like cosmetics that vary by chance. I prefer functional gear to come from rep systems or stores.

If, for example, they could have hull recipes and costume recipes drop from mobs, eh.

One problem with STO (not unique to STO but somewhat especially true here) is that junk loot drops off of mobs. Stuff you'd never use. You'd never equip. And no EC drops.

And every new player I've brought to the game asks how to get EC and is disappointed to find out you get it from vendoring trash, which is a chore.

Most I've talked to would rather eliminate vendor trash and have mobs drop direct EC.

Maybe have crafting supplies/consumables/commodities/cosmetics as rare drops. But just make the default drop EC. And have supplies/consumables/commodities be a rare chance tied to the enemy type.

Maybe the same for cosmetics or just make cosmetic extras like a special jacket or eyepatch or hull pattern tied to specific rare mobs. Like, you loot a recipe, take it home and a person says, "What an amazing find! This hull material you found intact from that ship is as good as duranium! The next time your ship is in for work, we can refit your ship with this hull material." Or "Amazing that you managed to get this jacket intact! This jacket you got off Captain Klaag is something I can patch up and tailor to your specifications."

Maybe ship trophies too but if we started revisiting those, I'd want all the lockbox ships to get at least one extra room or some area where trophies can be displayed. I think the timeship and the JHAS would be the hardest ones but there was another room we saw in the Timeship on Voyager.
  • Options
    daskippadaskippa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    For me with multi chars the rep systems has pretty much made me a nonprofit as far as what I pay to Cryptic anymore. Once upon a time I was ALWAYS running one alt or another I didn't even have a "main". Each one purchased stuff. Now days when a new season drops I log in with the two who are relatively current, and in 2-6weeks I'm gone again till next season. The whole time I never drop a dime. Good business plan there Cryptic.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    It will be interesting to see if they will respond to this. I know they were not completely sure about the rep system when the implemented it. A year later I think it is time to have this discussion before the rep system is entrenched.
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,247 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    In the old system every time I did the optional I ALWAYS got the Mk XII drop to turn in for my stf set now I know ppl would tell me that doing the op didn't help the drop rates but I ended up with 3 ground sets and I only ever got my drops when we did the op
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    westx211 wrote: »
    In the old system every time I did the optional I ALWAYS got the Mk XII drop to turn in for my stf set now I know ppl would tell me that doing the op didn't help the drop rates but I ended up with 3 ground sets and I only ever got my drops when we did the op

that is called being lucky. i've done optionals on elite in the old system before, never got anything but like rare salvage.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    westx211 wrote: »

Well you are both right and wrong on this: From a technical standpoint, the extra loot-bag did not have more, or less chance of dropping the prototype tech for the sets than the regular loot-bag, but it was still an extra drop, and hence a shot at even more drops.

Now if you got a drop every time you got the optional bag, it was more luck (and Cryptics messed up random-generator), than anything else... It wasn't specifically because it was the optional.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    What if instead of the old loot system with the optional bag mostly having nothing in it, have a new set of gear that complements the current sets?
  • Options
    icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited November 2013

why not both? the old system for just random luck possibly a short cut to items but no passive perks that the rep system gives.

and the rep system for the passive perks for working the system. and a way to buy the gear you need to complete what ever set you may need if you were not lucky enough to get it in a drop.. just seems like the best of both worlds and a no reason to ***** and moan anymore.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• Options
    gstamo01gstamo01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I am pretty sure that when he asked about loot drops, he meant a boss mob would always drop X loot. That has never been a part of STO and sadly never will.
    You know Cryptic has Jumped the Proverbial Shark when they introduced Tractor Pulling to Star Trek Online! :D
  • Options
    phantomeightphantomeight Member Posts: 567 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2013
    I would just like a chance at a unique drop once a STF, is that so much to ask?

Oh the irony..... I think i have been playing this game waaaaay to long....
  • Options
    phantomeightphantomeight Member Posts: 567 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Why not just put the Tech drops back so people can visit Roxy again, so those who preferred it the old way can keep doing that?

I don't see why they got rid of that store, they could have kept it. I know it's convenience to get the gear right from the rep UI... but it gets rid of the hustle and bustle. It was nice to see all the people at Roxy's.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    This is what I think happened.

They needed to monetize so instead of putting new unique drops on Boss Mobs they put all of them in Lockboxes and the rep system.

Opening a lockbox with a key I can buy with 2 hours of EC farming is not the same as doing a traditional raid/dungeon/STF etc and defeating a boss mob.

Doing 40 days of click grinding a rep system and doing 100's of STFs to get endgame gear feels too much like work and not enough like a game.

All I'm asking is for an additional source of unique gear.
  • Options
    mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited November 2013

I like this idea. I haven't bothered doing much with the reputations because of the grind. With the announcement of making it easier for my 14 alts next season, I decided to pound through on my main. I'm not interested in most of the gear because I'm in a tier V fleet but the buffs alone are worth grinding the rep. The gear is just a perk and most of the time I like the fleet stuff better. I think random drops like before would be nice on any of the queued stuff not just STFs. I earned my STF gear when you played space and ground together and it took forever. The missions now are just a formality to get the rep done.

Loot drops as a whole need to be revisited. You used to be able to get level appropriate gear on lots of missions mid stream that was rare and very rare now its mostly junk. TRIBBLE to clutter your inventory and breed tribbles. The best drops you can find now are to do the old fleet actions and come out 1st and get a console for a couple million ec.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Can't also overlook the replay effect of having to run missions for the otherwise unobtainable loot drops.
    Done right it will extend the time people play because they want that specific drop.
    We used to have that with the old Borg tech drops. But those were horribly unreliable and there was no telling how long it'd take.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg