test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Transphasics: A Fix

hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
Anyone who really understands how torpedoes work are aware that transphasic torpedoes are the most worthless torps in the game. Why? Because they fly slowly, have too long of a cool down, deal too little damage, and their bleed through hardly makes a difference.

You have to work REALLY hard to make these Torps effective at ALL and you could have done better with energy weapons.

So here is my proposal for making them relevant again:

Make Transphasics fly as fast as a Photon Torpedo. (I believe that is pretty much their current speed but bear with me)

Make their Cooldown the same as Quantums.

Increase their damage output to match Photons or be slightly better but not as high as Quantums.

Get rid of their shield penetration ability and replace it by making it so that Transphasic Torpedoes ignore 100% of Hull resistance.

They should NOT be able to get benefits from negative resistances. Instead they will always treat any damage they deal to hull as if the hull had 0 Kinetic Damage Resistance including the damage they deal as bleedthrough from shields.

However, they will not have any extra damage against shields.

Also you could give them essentially the Nanite Proc that would increase the bleedthrough of everything hitting that ship's shields for a short time if it procs.
Post edited by hasukurobi on

Comments

• pizzy84pizzy84 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    To be fair, i have no problem with having them on my ship, when you have a bunch of ships grouped up and fire a full spread shield up or down they are quite effective (for me at least). No they dont do crazy damage, but i dont have much of a problem with them at all.

However, i dont use them (or any other torp) for pvp
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    hasukurobi wrote: »
    Anyone who really understands how torpedoes work are aware that transphasic torpedoes are the most worthless torps in the game. Why? Because they fly slowly, have too long of a cool down, deal too little damage, and their bleed through hardly makes a difference.

You have to work REALLY hard to make these Torps effective at ALL and you could have done better with energy weapons.

Make Transphasics fly as fast as a Photon Torpedo. (I believe that is pretty much their current speed but bear with me)

Increase their damage output to match Photons or be slightly better but not as high as Quantums.

Get rid of their shield penetration ability and replace it by making it so that Transphasic Torpedoes ignore 100% of Hull resistance.

They should NOT be able to get benefits from negative resistances. Instead they will always treat any damage they deal to hull as if the hull had 0 Kinetic Damage Resistance including the damage they deal as bleedthrough from shields.

Also you could give them essentially the Nanite Proc that would increase the bleedthrough of everything hitting that ship's shields for a short time if it procs.

Um... i use transphasics on my Sci/B'rel and they are absolutely devastating combined with gravity well/tractor beam and my sci powers.

Who needs to worry about shields when ALL OF YOUR DAMAGE IS GOING STRAIGHT TO THEIR HULL!

Ive one shot players with a crit on my breen cluster before.

Worthless? Just no.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    guess you don't use the quick reload transphasic torpedo you get from one of the breen missions.

Sucker reloads as fast as a proton torpedo, and I've never noticed slow flight times. Hit high yield and they fly plenty fine.

Get the quick reload transphasic.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Um... i use transphasics on my Sci/B'rel and they are absolutely devastating combined with gravity well/tractor beam and my sci powers.

Who needs to worry about shields when ALL OF YOUR DAMAGE IS GOING STRAIGHT TO THEIR HULL!

Worthless? Just no.

This ^

2 or 3 transphasic torps + cluster up front, with the PWO doffs, for a steady stream of torps. GW/TBR/EWP for additional ticks. Subnuke for HE/APO. Makes for some very unhappy shield and speed tankers.
  • stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Worthless? Just no.
    Strictly speaking the cluster torp is more of a mine delivery system than a torp, which is what the OP is talking about. IIRC transphasic mines have way more shield penetration (although a check on STOwiki suggests that the clustertorp shield penetration doesn't match mines, so I dunno). But like you, I think transphasics are underrated. Maybe they could get a boost to the shield penetration, maybe up it to 50%?
  • gonjaagonjaa Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    They are the torp of choice for torp boats so I fail to see the problem with them. I use them on my Sci/T'varo
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,521 Community Moderator
    edited November 2013
    Transphasic Torpedoes may not be as powerful as some other torps, but their ability to penetrate shields makes them more effective against shielded targets, so its a trade off.

The Rapid Reload Transphasic Torpedoes reload as fast as a Quantum at 8 seconds, shaving 2 seconds off the reload on the standard variants.

Every weapon has its pros and cons. Knowing what they are and how they compare helps.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    reyan01 wrote: »
    They're not that great to be honest - they don't 'reload' all THAT much quicker & only come as MkXI [purple]

still faster than any other transphasic. And sure only an XI better than X or below. I still use it and it's a great launcher.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    All torpedoes could use a fix, not just transphasics.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Transphasic Torpedoes already come in a version that fires as fast as Quantums. Called Rapid Fire Transphasic in game.

"They should NOT be able to get benefits from negative resistances. Instead they will always treat any damage they deal to hull as if the hull had 0 Kinetic Damage Resistance including the damage they deal as bleedthrough from shields."

That would make them x10 worse then now. At least they are useful now, that change would make them useless.
  • phoeniciusphoenicius Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    All torpedoes could use a fix, not just transphasics.

this man speaks the truth.

fix torps, then we worry about balance.
  • jarheardjarheard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013

honestly just cause ur statement is so arrogant i just had to react.

trans are one of the best used torpedo in the game ..a pain in every pvp ..and the best thing is ..their best mod ..the rapid ones are free no charge .

a brel with them is one classic option ..also the tvaro ..blah blah blah ..they are a very useful ..some would say the only useful torpedo out of the "normal" (not lobi /zen ) ones.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Just going to chime in and say that I disagree with the opening post about transphasics. I used to think they were a 'waste of space' until I learned how to make proper torpedo builds and found out that they are actually one of the stronger torpedo types in the game when used properly.

Transphasics are weaker than other torpedos against an exposed hull, but they work very well against shielded targets. They are also one of the few damage types with enough specialty launchers to run a dedicated torpedo build(Plasma being the other for a single damage type setup).

In my opinion, Chronitons are the most in need of some love. They have a painfully long cooldowns for their damage output and their specialty launchers are hard to acquire.
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Not 100% sure if this is fact, but I would wager IF the cluster torp is still doing the whole one torp crits they all crit. If so than a combo of elachi disruptor proc used in conjunction with BO+bleed thru doff, and a timed trans torp could spell disaster for an adversary. :eek: :P
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Worthless? Just no.

Breen Cluster is a whole other thing and is mines. The Transphasic Mines are perhaps the best Mines in the game outside of Nakura but that is not always saying much.

I have been hit by boats specializing in Transphasic Torps with Torp High Yield III and they STILL failed to scratch off more than 15% hull. So at the moment with their HORRIBLY low DPS they are really not that great. If you tried to do the same thing with Quantums you would have much better results even THROUGH shields. Also burn procs deal way more damage through shields.

Moreover, as someone mentioned they do need to fix torps in general but for Transphasics you can really show how energy weapons clearly make them obsolete to the point of sadness.
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited November 2013
    Transphasic torpedoes need a moderate boost to have them keep up with the power creep and mitigation creep in game. Maybe 50 to 60% penetration
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,467 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    macronius wrote: »
    Transphasic torpedoes need a moderate boost to have them keep up with the power creep and mitigation creep in game. Maybe 50 to 60% penetration

60% may be over the top. 45% maybe?

Anyway, with Season 8 approaching i expect variants of the Voth torpedoes to become available combining transphasic and chroniton.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Breen Cluster is a whole other thing and is mines. The Transphasic Mines are perhaps the best Mines in the game outside of Nakura but that is not always saying much.

I have been hit by boats specializing in Transphasic Torps with Torp High Yield III and they STILL failed to scratch off more than 15% hull. So at the moment with their HORRIBLY low DPS they are really not that great. If you tried to do the same thing with Quantums you would have much better results even THROUGH shields. Also burn procs deal way more damage through shields.

Moreover, as someone mentioned they do need to fix torps in general but for Transphasics you can really show how energy weapons clearly make them obsolete to the point of sadness.

Who gives a DAMN about dps?

its about spike damage. 30-70k damage straight to the hull...

i find your bragging about 15% hull scratches completely BS too. I play my brel almost every single day and I have yet to meet a ship of any kind or build that doesnt drop at least a quarter to a half of their hull on my initial attack run.

Each torpedo hit does over 2000 hull damage (ive seen crits of over 8000 too). Each one. Do you think I am just firing ONE torp and nothing else? No, I am firing over 10 at you as I am closing in, and dropping my GW/Subnuke/Sensorscan/tractor beam, breen cluster and nukara mines on you

You might survive if you are quick on your HEs/MW/or ET. Then i come back around during your CD and drop another load.

Dont make non factual statements, especially not to me. I know what my little bop can do, I play it daily and was actually PvPing with it less than a half hour ago.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
    edited November 2013
    questerius wrote: »
    60% may be over the top. 45% maybe?

Anyway, with Season 8 approaching i expect variants of the Voth torpedoes to become available combining transphasic and chroniton.
    A mistake a lot of people make is thinking transphasic are only 40%. Its not 40% but 40% bonus on top of the basic 10%. Not sure if you are talking about finale bleedthough being 45% or bonus bleed though being 45%.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,467 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    A mistake a lot of people make is thinking transphasic are only 40%. Its not 40% but 40% bonus on top of the basic 10%. Not sure if you are talking about finale bleedthough being 45% or bonus bleed though being 45%.

Which in turn is reduced by covariant shields, i know.

The biggest problem is that bleed through from quantums is often higher than the transphasic damage.

A small increase may be warranted, but it'll have to be done with baby steps or it'll go OP in the blink of an eye.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    i have played various torp boat configurations, when shields have been stripped the photon damage is immense and you only need three launchers with doff recharge, quants fire a bit more slowly but their damage to shields is significantly better then photons but not really much difference in overall damage to the hull. transphasics i gave up on back in early 2011, they were TRIBBLE, and failed to impress my standards of utter destruction. but recently the transphasics on the obelisk carrier have made me reconsider their destructive ability.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • maarkeanmaarkean Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I use transphasics to good effect for a shield bypass cruiser. Its good fun.
    edited November 2013
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Agreed, and as said in an earlier post, I prefer the much-ignored photon torpedoes too. Okay, they're more often than not viewed as the underdog, but seriously - with three [purple] torpedo DOFFS I can fire them off every second - and I'm sorry, quantum torpedoes may do superior DPS - but being able to fire a photon torpedo every second certainly puts them close to a similar DPS output; and against an exposed hull, they prove to be a relentless barrage that do some VERY nice damage.
    Saying that, I admittedly only really use them on my Fleet Intrepid, as it's very useful to have the ability to fire torpedoes every second when the ablative generator is active (thus taking energy weapons offline).

The thing is with 3 purple projectile doffs quantum fire at pretty much the same speed as the photons as long as we are not talking single launchers. Plus your photons are not firing every second that?s double the max speed possible. Due to the limit on firing speed x2 quantum with doffs will out damage x2 Photons. The only time photons are worth is if only 1 is fitted or with the photon defense console and possibly the new photon set.
  • rikersdadrikersdad Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    -TP are easily available in Mk XII when you add the 40% penetration, they match Quantums and the XII purple console makes them better than Quantums.
    I just noticed they are 2 sec longer to cooldown than Q's