Install Arc

Grounder, check this out from Tribble

buccaneerdtbbuccaneerdtb Member Posts: 575 Arc User
edited October 2013 in PvP Gameplay
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• originpioriginpi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    in case you are curious, the answer to the question at the bottom is yes.

according to dev blog 12.
  • mll623mll623 Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So basically you get to be a bunker.
  • buccaneerdtbbuccaneerdtb Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    mll623 wrote: »
    So basically you get to be a bunker.

I thought of the Commando ability on Star Wars Galaxies.
  • cbrandtcbrandt Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Hehe, my engineer has been dying [literally to every lunge and pounce] to get something like that to fabricate with! At the very least its REALLY different then most that speed you up or just boost damage. [Or magic heal]

CABrandt and Carmen, spawn guardians.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tip of the Spear
    >
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Standfast with Frontmans Set

lololol
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    deokkent wrote: »
    Wow talk about some power creep. Is there anything better than that heavy armor in sto?

I'll get the mk x set to rep grind vs voth. Should be more than enough.

Read my comments in that thread describing the armor, after you consider all of the set's downsides, it's not that great. On par with other sets, yes, but not better than any other set. The biggest problem is the lack of a [HP] mod. All the damage resistance in the world won't save you if you don't have enough health points. Sure, you have the "can't touch me" button every 3 minutes for 10 seconds, but the fact that it roots you is a terrible downside of the ability.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • nulonunulonu Member Posts: 507 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hunker down by itself isn't really a big deal IMO. Kind of a self inflicted stasis pistol shot. A little patience by the opponent and it will have little impact, especially sine the knock back immunity obviously doesn't work. What will have an impact is the tier 5 ability. 5 min CD for that vs. 10 mins on the other tier 5 clickie.

At first I wonder why we need "I'm invulnerable" abilities but then I read the STF feedback threads and despite all the power creep in this game up to now there are still threads complaining about ground stfs being too hard.

It will be interesting to see how this and tier 3 passive (plus up to 75 dmg res as you lose health OR +25 dmg as your target loses health) affect ground pvp. Fun times might be ahead, but so could frustrating times. Just have to wait and see how it works out once everyone has them.
    edited October 2013
    I can see a use for tanking an orbital strike or mine attack when already rooted, but can you turn it off early if needed?

Also, the weapon can be used with another set, and it looks powerful enough to become standard issue.
    edited October 2013
    I can see a use for tanking an orbital strike or mine attack when already rooted, but can you turn it off early if needed?

Also, the weapon can be used with another set, and it looks powerful enough to become standard issue.

There is that, I could see the ability useful in such emergencies. As for the weapon, I need to take a closer look. I've never used a wide beam rifle, but if it's anything like a wide beam pistol, I'll pass for now. Unrelated, it would be nice if Cryptic made a balance pass over wide beam pistols, blast assaults, and assault miniguns. The wide beam pistol is outclassed by the split beam pistol and blast assault/miniguns have a long animation lock, which makes them dangerous to use anywhere.
    edited October 2013
    As for the weapon, I need to take a closer look. I've never used a wide beam rifle, but if it's anything like a wide beam pistol, I'll pass for now.

It has a chance to expose on every regular shot, just save the secondary for the exploit with no need to swap weapons. 125 DPS is close to the highest available, and armor provides less resistance to it. I don't know the range though, I assume it is same as split beam.
    edited October 2013
    Standfast with Frontmans Set

lololol

No you can't turn it off early.

Originally Posted by majortiraomega
    As for the weapon, I need to take a closer look. I've never used a wide beam rifle, but if it's anything like a wide beam pistol, I'll pass for now.

It's a wide beam against target that aren't exposed. When they are, the secondary changes to an exploit sniper shot. It's a really cool gun w/o being OP.
    edited October 2013
    nulonu wrote: »

It's a wide beam against target that aren't exposed. When they are, the secondary changes to an exploit sniper shot. It's a really cool gun w/o being OP.

An interesting mechanic for a weapon. I'll be sure to jump on Tribble in a few days to test it out. Now the tooltip mentions that the weapon can strike up to five targets. If the primary target is not exposed, yet one of the secondary targets is exposed, does that target receive the expose damage bonus?
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Nice ground set. Will probably get it.
    edited October 2013
    An interesting mechanic for a weapon. I'll be sure to jump on Tribble in a few days to test it out. Now the tooltip mentions that the weapon can strike up to five targets. If the primary target is not exposed, yet one of the secondary targets is exposed, does that target receive the expose damage bonus?

One target in sniper mode, up to 5 in the wide beam cone. I'd have to double check but I don't think the sniper shot is on par damage wise to a regular sniper rifle.
  • eisenw0lfeisenw0lf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I might get that gun. Combined with a full Omega set this thing might be pretty powerful, even without the two-piece +proton damage bonus. The rest of the set is not really that amazing, I rather keep my + [HP], +[critH] and +[critS]. However it would interest me if the immobilize of that bunker ability can be removed with motion accelerator. That would be hilarious.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Watching that video reminds me of something. The trait "Sure Footed" is supposed to provide immunity to knockback in crouch-mode and immunity to roots in aim-mode. Someone claimed a while ago that the knockback immunity was broken.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=9376331&postcount=200

Does anyone know if "Sure Footed" actually grants knockback and root immunities?
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
    edited October 2013
    frtoaster wrote: »
    Watching that video reminds me of something. The trait "Sure Footed" is supposed to provide immunity to knockback in crouch-mode and immunity to roots in aim-mode. Someone claimed a while ago that the knockback immunity was broken.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=9376331&postcount=200

Does anyone know if "Sure Footed" actually grants knockback and root immunities?

The immunity to root and immunity to knockback was pulled after feedback from the ground PvP community. Such changes would have made any science officer pretty much immune to disrupt attacks, making them that much more difficult to kill.
  • mrkollinsmrkollins Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The immunity to root and immunity to knockback was pulled after feedback from the ground PvP community. Such changes would have made any science officer pretty much immune to disrupt attacks, making them that much more difficult to kill.

The immunity to root and knockback in general, not just the trait, was removed from the whole game.
    Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Do you have a reference for this? I do not recall seeing a patch note that says they have been removed, whereas the patch notes for Legacy of Romulus explicitly state that "Sure Footed" grants these immunities. I just want to know if the trait is working correctly or not.
    mrkollins wrote: »
    The immunity to root and knockback in general, not just the trait, was removed from the whole game.

Are you saying this is intended or that it is a bug?
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
    edited October 2013
    It's a bug and it has been acknowledged by the devs months ago, but still nothing about it.

Looks like it's more important to focus resources in developing more and new shiney stuff (ships, ships, ships, 2 new 10 minutes missions, ships and ships) than fixing the game itself.
    Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
    edited October 2013
    I don't think it's because knockback resistance isn't working. Look at your tooltip for lunge for example. You see:

"100% chance knocks back 6 feet" then under that:

"Knocks back +8 meters" and then under that:

"15% chance knocks back 0.66 meters"
    Upon Expiration, Applies:
    +100 knock back resistance rating for 10 secs

Swords say the same thing except for the 100% chance to knock back 6 feet(obviously). Not knowing how or why that "Knocks back +8 meters" line is showing up, I'm of the opinion that the +100 resistance is ONLY applying itself to resist the "15% chance knocks back 0.66 meters" section of all that. Make sense? Of course not! Would it surprise you if that's how it was working? It shouldn't. I could be wrong but everything that causes you to always be knocked back has that "Knocks back +8 meters line" and if the devs are looking only at that resistance to the 15% chance part of it to make sure it's applying and it is; guess what they are going to say? Working as intended. I don't think that +8m line is supposed to be there. It only show up when you equip a sword, put on a kit with lunge or mouse over your tooltip for pounce. Lirpas for example, don't have that line and only have the 15% chance with the resistance buff after it applies.

As far as root goes, no one was really immune. Willpower cut the duration so short that stun phasers/grenades and Fuse Armor couldn't root anyone for more then half a second. Even now they don't last very long if you spec to resist it and the only root that does last, cryo immobilizer, is ignoring resistance and will be fixed at some point now that devs are aware of it.
  • adjudicatorhawkadjudicatorhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hey guys,

No knockback in the game should be unresistable. This melee bug was tricky - I've triple-checked all of the melee weapons in the game repeatedly over the months for unresistable knockback, and didn't find any. However, it turns out all players in the game are given a hidden power that enhances many melee attacks to make expose/exploit mechanics work, and this power had an unresistable knockback on it. This was making all Sword secondary attacks deal unresistable knockback (which also ignores immunity, thus ignoring any "Immune to KB for 10 seconds after being knocked" mechanics, for instance.)

Anyway, the good/bad news depending on which side of abusing Sword KB you're on is that we've finally isolated and fixed the issue in an upcoming Tribble build. Of course this change on its own is just a small step towards helping address ground PvP issues, but I sincerely hope that it substantially improves the QoL of those playing ground PvP. I'm sorry it took so long to address, and that you've gone without any official word on whether or not it was intended in months.
    Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
    Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
    Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    bug = squashed

nice
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
    edited October 2013
    Finally I can shut up about this! Thanks hawk. :D
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Good job fixing this. Any chance someone could fix the deflector officer (deflector abilities cooldown) not affecting tachyon beam or energy siphon?
    edited October 2013
    nulonu wrote: »
    I don't think it's because knockback resistance isn't working. Look at your tooltip for lunge for example. You see:

"100% chance knocks back 6 feet" then under that:

"Knocks back +8 meters" and then under that:

"15% chance knocks back 0.66 meters"
    Upon Expiration, Applies:
    +100 knock back resistance rating for 10 secs

The 15% chance proc there is the Physical Strength ground trait proc, it is not part of Lunge. Lunge always knocks back, which is as it should be (100% chance to knockback), but it completely ignores any knockback resistance. Thus, multiple lunges can be chained for the same effect as a single lunge, resulting in permanent knockback. The same problem exists for the cat trait pounce and the gorn trait bite.
  • cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hey guys,

No knockback in the game should be unresistable. This melee bug was tricky - I've triple-checked all of the melee weapons in the game repeatedly over the months for unresistable knockback, and didn't find any. However, it turns out all players in the game are given a hidden power that enhances many melee attacks to make expose/exploit mechanics work, and this power had an unresistable knockback on it. This was making all Sword secondary attacks deal unresistable knockback (which also ignores immunity, thus ignoring any "Immune to KB for 10 seconds after being knocked" mechanics, for instance.)

Anyway, the good/bad news depending on which side of abusing Sword KB you're on is that we've finally isolated and fixed the issue in an upcoming Tribble build. Of course this change on its own is just a small step towards helping address ground PvP issues, but I sincerely hope that it substantially improves the QoL of those playing ground PvP. I'm sorry it took so long to address, and that you've gone without any official word on whether or not it was intended in months.

Finally! Maybe I can try ground PVP again..

Thanks!

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
    edited October 2013
    Don't think you read the whole thing. Never said the 15% chance proc was the problem. Doesn't matter tho, the problem has been identified and a fix is coming.
    edited October 2013

Thank you. I might try Ground PvP again.
    Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • solarstreaksolarstreak Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Nice to have an update on this after all this time, to say the least. ;)

Hoping the "fix" involves more then just swords though. As others have brought out, you can ignore the "10 sec immunity to knockback" mechanic with a single tactical officer spamming lunge or pounce under the effects of tactical initiative. Or just simply have two or more people with lunge/pounce attack the same target within the same 10s window.
    However, it turns out all players in the game are given a hidden power that enhances many melee attacks to make expose/exploit mechanics work, and this power had an unresistable knockback on it.

That part gives me hope that this will be a complete fix though.
    Selun'x Alien Sci - Zarza Reman Tac