test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why is Enterprise the only line to keep it's registry number?

tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
edited December 2013 in Ten Forward
Is "Enterprise" the only ship line to get lettered incarnations?

In other words, There was a Constitution Class Defiant, and there was a Defiant Class Defiant, but they had separate and distinct registry numbers.

Why? Shouldn't it have kept the same reg number, and our well known Defiant be the Defiant-A?

Browsing through the Memory Alpha Ship List shows many other reused names, but with distinct registries. (Hood, Intrepid, Endeavour, Constellation, etc.)
Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
Post edited by tacofangs on

Comments

• Options
    renarcenerenarcene Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I can offer 2 possibilities for this conundrum:

1. Its seems that normal government policy is, "if it makes sense, don't do it"...

2. Its fiction written by many different writers and artists over a long period of time, and therefore is wrought with continuity errors...
    I like my Sci guy & I like my Sci ship & that's that.
  • Options
    collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I guess maybe the Enterprises were all cruisers of one type or another and the Defiant class Defiant was a completely different animal from the Constitution Class.

I can't really think of an in-universe reason. The reason is, of course, that the Enterprise was the hero ship for most of the Star Trek incarnations.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Why? Shouldn't it have kept the same reg number, and our well known Defiant be the Defiant-A?

If the NX-74205 hadn't been the prototype vessel for the Defiant class, you would probably be right. I believe it's the only instance of an on-screen named vessel reappearing as the namesake for a ship class.
  • Options
    jkirk13jkirk13 Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It is writers and producers not knowing past material or cannon and just doing their own thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nagrom7nagrom7 Member Posts: 995 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Just speculation here, but it might be to do with the enterprises being the flagships. Being an iconic line of ships they kept the registration. Most of the other ships didn't really get the kind of fame the Enterprise did, with the exception of the defiant. The constitution defiant never really accomplished much, so Sisko's defiant probably didn't share the registry because there was no real sentiment to it. Not sure what the Sao Paolo's registry is, it could be the same as the defiants since that did get a lot of fame. It could also be different since it had another ship name and was renamed defiant to replace the lost one. Most of the other Enterprises were built to be Enterprises, either after the old one was obsolete or destroyed. The Sao Paolo was built to be another defiant class but they gave it to sisko as a replacement.

No facts here, just personal thought.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Harden up Princess
    Looking for an Oceanic fleet? Check out our website:
    www.ausmonauts.com
  • Options
    gralerongraleron Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The Registry article shows a few examples of other ships that have letter suffixes. Of these, though:
    • The Yamato NCC-1305-E version was a production mistake in "Where Silence Has Lease", and corrected to NCC-71807 in the ship's appearance in "Contagion".
    • The Dauntless wasn't built by Starfleet, so it's NX-01-A registry isn't valid.
    • Leaving the USS Relativity, NCC-474439-G, whose dedication plaque specifically says it's the seventh ship to bear the name.
    Vice Admiral Elaron, USS Hard Light
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    Seriously? The Enterprise is the Federation Flag, always. Like Air Force 1 will always have that designation, even after the actual plane is replaced with a newer model.

Bad example. Air Force One has had numerous different registry numbers over the years. Not to mention any Air Force craft with the President onboard becomes Air Force One for the duration of the flight.
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Its usually just the writers not being that nitpicky about things and often for simplicity of the audience who are not always die hard fans.

For example, they knew in DS9 that the romulan and klingons were in the beta quadrant, yet everyone only talked about defending the alpha quadrant from the dominion. despite most trek fans knowing what is what, they did not want to confuse people by adding an extra quadrant name in, so everyone ending up coming from the alpha quadrant. nice and simple.

same with the defiant probably. calling it the Defiant A will have confused people who did not see that one particular TOS episode. The Enterprise in TNG needed it because not having the registry number change would have confused casual watchers as to which ship this was. They specifically needed to know its a later model.

It leaves an inconsistency that annoys hardcore fans, but makes life simpler for everyone else.
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Bad example. Air Force One has had numerous different registry numbers over the years. Not to mention any Air Force craft with the President onboard becomes Air Force One for the duration of the flight.

Yup, but when it comes to this I always remember a discussion I once had with friends:
    does it have to a be self-powered aircraft to count?
    Because if not, then theoretically a hang glider could be called "Airforce One" when the president happens to be stuck under one.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,404 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Also, NCC-1701 wasn't the flagship of Starfleet in TOS - that would have been the class-namer, Constitution NCC-1700. And usually a "flagship" would be commanded by someone of flag rank, not a man who'd been stuck at the rank of Captain into his 70s.

Mostly, it seems to have been a matter of the writers assuming (until ENT, anyway) that if they didn't give their Enterprise the same registry number each time, the viewers would be confused. (In fact, the ones who actually paid attention to registry numbers wouldn't have a problem, and the ones who'd have gotten confused probably couldn't have told you the ship's registry number at gunpoint.)

OTOH, that did give us a nice sight gag in BSG, when the five Cylons aboard Galactica set up their regular meeting spot in cargo hold 1701D... :)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,529 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The Prometheus also had originally been NX 59650 and was later changed to NX 74913
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    The Prometheus also had originally been NX 59650 and was later changed to NX 74913

That was the same ship, and the change was due to a TRIBBLE up by the VFX crew (apparently both numbers actually appear on-screen concurrently).

But it does reinforce the notion that a prototype ship didn't take the registry of any previous holders of the name (there was a Nebula class Prometheus that popped up in DS9).
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Even the 24th century has fanboys.
    <3
  • Options
    vsilverwings1vsilverwings1 Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I would agree that Defiant is the one example where it was the name of the class generation line whereas Enterprise is the succession of a line of ships to bear the name. It's the same with real life whenever there is a continuation of a line you get the Second, Third etc but if a new line with no ties were to start then you start over.
  • Options
    androphorosandrophoros Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I think you could explain it by saying what the ship is named after.

If ship is named the USS Tacofang, its named it after you. Lets say that ship is eventually decommissioned, and some years later we build a second ship by the name of USS Tacofang, it has a different registry number, but is still named after you. however this ship becomes very famous. We build a third ship, USS Tacofang, but this ship is now named after the second USS Tacofang, and this ship also shares the registry number.

Or
    USS Tacofang, NCC-002323 - named after Taco
    USS Tacofang, NCC-014567 - still named after Taco
    USS Tacofang, NCC-014567-A - named after the ship above, not named after Taco

anyways that's my 2 cents
    "Wesley - He wants the Impossible
    Geordi - That's the short definition of Captain" - and the STO Forums
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    If you look at other ships with repeated names, most of them don't have consistently superior accomplishments:

The first Bellerophon's defining accomplishment was fighting at Wolf 359, while the second appears to have been a diplomatic ferry more than anything, it was Ross's ship, but he appears on a different bridge when we see him on the viewscreen in battle.

The first Defiant's defining accomplishment was getting trashed by the Tholians (It's not clear if the Federation knows the role it then played in the Terran Empire, but we probably wouldn't consider that a good thing either way). The second and third played key roles, often leadership ones, in almost every phase of the Dominion War and its related conflicts, however, and STO appears to have given it the suffix treatment for that record.

Now, the Enterprise, before the registry was immortalized we know there were three ships called Enterprise - XCV-330 (of which we know nothing), NX-01, and NCC-1701. NX-01 and NCC-1701 both went farther, accomplished more, learned more, and met threats no single ship should be expected to meet, and came back victorious. I'm not even sure the Defiant's record really matches up if you account for how ill prepared the NX-01 and her crew were or just how much longer the NCC-1701 was in service.

Only after those two ships (and possibly the first was just as accomplished for its time), was the registry immortalized, distinguishing the Enterprise line as truly legendary, a cut above the merely extraordinary and outstanding.
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Is "Enterprise" the only ship line to get lettered incarnations?

In other words, There was a Constitution Class Defiant, and there was a Defiant Class Defiant, but they had separate and distinct registry numbers.

Browsing through the Memory Alpha Ship List shows many other reused names, but with distinct registries. (Hood, Intrepid, Endeavour, Constellation, etc.)

It could just be because the NCC-1701 had an exceptional number of historical achievements attributed to it during its various missions. Though you could argue that your ship also has to have saved the Earth, the heart of the Federation, to get such a prefix attached. The Enterprise-A was given after Kirk and crew saved Earth from the Whale Probe after all.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    No it's not a bad example. There's Air Force 1 (the plane), and Air Force 1 actual (the MAN). Since the late 60s the president's plane has been called Air Force 1, and it's a pretty safe bet to say it will be called that for the foreseeable future. There may be dummy call signs that are used for security purposes overseas, but in the U.S. it's always Air Force 1. If that bothers you, how about this: Miss America is always Miss America, even though it's a different chick every year.

You completely misunderstand what the Air Force One designation means. It's a callsign. Not a name for the plane. Not a name for a person. A callsign used to delineate that the President of the United States is on board a USAF aircraft. As De pointed out, put the President in a USAF training glider and even it becomes Air Force One.

Similarly, Marine One and Navy One, or Air Force Two/Marine Two/Navy Two for the Vice President.

It in no way means a single, specific aircraft or a single specific registry number (Truman went through I think three different aircraft, all with different registries and names, and all of which carried the callsign Air Force One while in use by the president). The given name of the plane doesn't change based on who sits in the chairs, only the callsign.

Argue colloquialisms all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that there is a very specific meaning to the term that isn't what you want it to be.
  • Options
    milanvoriusmilanvorius Member Posts: 641 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Seriously? The Enterprise is the Federation Flag, always. Like Air Force 1 will always have that designation, even after the actual plane is replaced with a newer model.

Airforce 1 is a call sign, not an aircraft identifier. it was mission and personnel specific. If I remember correctly the aircraft that is typically Airforce 1 would not be called such if only the first lady/man and the kids were aboard.

I think the Enterpise refit of TMP was 1701, it was traumatically scrapped in Search 4 Spock, thena new ship was named enterprise, but it was a recommissioning of an existing Constitution refit class, so it is to distinguish it as not the original "chasis" that flew into VGER.

I think the Enterprise B, C, D, E, F, G, H, W, PP, etc would ahve different registries, but there was a break down in thought between the end of the Original Series movies and the release of TNG.
    PvE Jem'Hadar motto: Participation Ribbons are life.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    You completely misunderstand what the Air Force One designation means. It's a callsign. Not a name for the plane. Not a name for a person. A callsign used to delineate that the President of the United States is on board a USAF aircraft. As De pointed out, put the President in a USAF training glider and even it becomes Air Force One.

Similarly, Marine One and Navy One, or Air Force Two/Marine Two/Navy Two for the Vice President.

It in no way means a single, specific aircraft or a single specific registry number (Truman went through I think three different aircraft, all with different registries and names, and all of which carried the callsign Air Force One while in use by the president). The given name of the plane doesn't change based on who sits in the chairs, only the callsign.

Argue colloquialisms all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that there is a very specific meaning to the term that isn't what you want it to be.

We were typing at the same time :)

I didnt know Trumen went through 3 different aircraft. He must have been hard on them. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Airforce 1 is a call sign, not an aircraft identifier. it was mission and personnel specific. If I remember correctly the aircraft that is typically Airforce 1 would not be called such if only the first lady/man and the kids were aboard.

To make this even more clear: when the plane that he flew around with during his presidency flew George W. Bush back to Texas after he had left the office, it wasn't called Air Force One during the flight.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    If that bothers you, how about this: Miss America is always Miss America, even though it's a different chick every year.

And W Bush on an aircraft would not be called AF1 at this point, that is only reserved for the current president. The old Miss America's are not the current Miss America. Its like Highlander, there can be only 1! :)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    We were typing at the same time :)

I didnt know Trumen went through 3 different aircraft. He must have been hard on them. :)

He was I think the first president to use military aircraft. Before him everyone flew commercially. If memory serves the first two were retrofitted bombers, while the third was a custom built craft based off a bomber chassis.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    He was I think the first president to use military aircraft. Before him everyone flew commercially. If memory serves the first two were retrofitted bombers, while the third was a custom built craft based off a bomber chassis.

Makes sense with the cold war firing up and nukes out there. I bet bombers had longer legs. I will have to look up when mid air refueling started.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    misterde3 wrote: »
    Yup, but when it comes to this I always remember a discussion I once had with friends:
    does it have to a be self-powered aircraft to count?
    Because if not, then theoretically a hang glider could be called "Airforce One" when the president happens to be stuck under one.

What if the president jumps out of AF1 in a parachute, is the chute then referred to as Airborne 1?