test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why is Enterprise the only line to keep it's registry number?

13»

Comments

• Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,777 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Is "Enterprise" the only ship line to get lettered incarnations?

In other words, There was a Constitution Class Defiant, and there was a Defiant Class Defiant, but they had separate and distinct registry numbers.

Why? Shouldn't it have kept the same reg number, and our well known Defiant be the Defiant-A?

Browsing through the Memory Alpha Ship List shows many other reused names, but with distinct registries. (Hood, Intrepid, Endeavour, Constellation, etc.)

The only "lettered ships" that I can find are the non-canon kind.

USS Bozeman - NCC 1942-A

I seem to remember a few "lettered ships" listed in FASA's SSCBS Manuals.

http://www.housevampyr.com/training/library/books/fasa/fed/FAS2302%20-%20Star%20Trek%20-%20Federation%20Ship%20Recognition%20Manual.pdf

I don't have the time re re-read through the PDF above, but I seem to remember one or two, again non-canon, ship that retained their original NCC code #s, but only a few.
    Largely, and much like a modern day navel fleet, it the name that get's re-used/carried on to the next generation of ships regardless of Navel Construction Codes.

Here is a list of ship names from the US Navy. Ships named for cities or states are used again and again. So are the "classic" Navel ship name like Hood, Potemkin, Yorktown, etc.

btw - Found this thread by accident googling something Trek related but not STOL game related. :) Nice to see that you're keeping out of trouble, Tumerboy. ;) We miss you on the CO board. :( 'sokay.
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.