test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A Space Adventure Zone with PVP

ammonitidaammonitida Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Why the hell not? It's already in BSGO. We need one in STO where we can fight against both AI and other players for control of dilithium-rich asteroids and lobi crystal producing planets. That would change the face of the game, where PVP would finally become the most exciting part of the gameplay, like it is in almost EVERY other MMORPG. Right now, PVP is just instanced TRIBBLE with no strategy and lame rewards.
Post edited by ammonitida on

Comments

• Options
    stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    1) Most of the players in the game do not pvp.
    2) The pvp sucks in the game and needs a redesign more then it needs a territory control pvp zone.
    3) The industry already has bsgo, eve, and the upcoming star citizen for pvp. Why turn this game into them?
  • Options
    roxbadroxbad Member Posts: 695
    edited October 2013
    stf65 wrote: »
    1) I don't wanna peeveepee, wah.
    2) I don't wanna peeveepee, wah.
    3) I don't wanna peeveepee, wah.

I understand your arguments and concede the discussion.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    roxbad wrote: »
    I understand your arguments and concede the discussion.
    I pvp all the time. That does not change the fact that cryptic is going to do what is best for the majority, not the minority. That is clear from the klingon faction alone. Adding more pvp to a sucky system does not make better pvp. It simply makes more sucky pvp.

Thanks for the personal attack too. It was much appreciated, and goes a long way to making pvpers seem more mature on the forum.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    2) The pvp sucks in the game and needs a redesign more then it needs a territory control pvp zone.
    3) The industry already has bsgo, eve, and the upcoming star citizen for pvp. Why turn this game into them?

1. That's because it's all instanced with no strategy and lame rewards. A PVP territory control world would change that even with the current game imbalance.

2. All MMORPGs have some sort of PVP imbalance, but that hasn't stopped their PVP on territory control maps from being fun. In BSGO, whoever had the nukes won the fight. They were massively overpowered. It was still major fun though!

3. Because I believe STO can do it BETTER while still keeping the PVE content fun.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Eve Online is awful for PVP. Takes FOREVER to level up. Death carries too great a penalty seeing as you lose your ship forever if it's destroyed. Too much risk little reward in my limited experience with the game. I was doing more mining than anything else.

For BSGO, faction imbalance was a major issue. I don't believe that would be the case with STO since all three factions have great ships to use. Maybe nerf the cloak a bit.
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Most people don't want to spend the game having to watch their backs all the time. Its stressful, not fun. If BSG does it so well, play BSG.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ammonitida wrote: »
    like it is in almost EVERY other MMORPG.
    Lol.
    1. That's because it's all instanced with no strategy and lame rewards. A PVP territory control world would change that even with the current game imbalance.

2. All MMORPGs have some sort of PVP imbalance, but that hasn't stopped their PVP on territory control maps from being fun. In BSGO, whoever had the nukes won the fight. They were massively overpowered. It was still major fun though!

3. Because I believe STO can do it BETTER while still keeping the PVE content fun.
    Thanks for being in my brain and tell everyone else why I don't pvp in this game.

I play STO for pve, and games like BF3 or EvE for pvp. I don't ask a better pve on eve or BF3, and I don't ask for a better pvp on sto. Why ? Because it would be wasted ressources better spent elsewhere. And so far, I have yet to see a game that successfully make a good pve and pvp experience.
    And don't say GW2, or I'll laugh really hard.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    the second post is dead on. if PVP were to go away completely and all the PVPers left, PWE would barely notice.

most people who play do not PVP simple fact. why pour resources into something that what, 3% of the population wants? after all, Dinosaurs with fracking laser beams are far more important.
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2013
    There is nothing wrong with territory control. The problem is that not enough sto players pvp. There are just not enough people going to use it to make spending the money to create territory control pvp viable. It would be throwing away a lot of money on a fraction of the fanbase. If we cannot get them to spend $5000 to make a new klingon ship how are we going to get them to spend $50000 to make territory control pvp?

What is the financial return to cryptic? Are new pvpers going to flock to the game only to find out that one territory control map is all the game offers? Those people are not going to spend money, so how is cryptic going to make the 50k back?

The whole pvp system needs a revamp. That way new players can come and can be enticed to stay. That will give cryptic a financial benefit. One map just will not do that.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I pvp all the time.

You do sucky stuff all the time? Why? You a TRIBBLE or something?
    Thanks for the personal attack too. It was much appreciated, and goes a long way to making pvpers seem more mature on the forum.

More "wah". That wasn't a personal attack. That was a commentary on your post. Every time someone posts a suggestion for introducing more PvP into this game some twit like you (now that's a personal attack) chimes in about why it shouldn't be done and invokes the name of that boogeyman game, Eve.
  • Options
    kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Why the hell not? It's already in BSGO. We need one in STO where we can fight against both AI and other players for control of dilithium-rich asteroids and lobi crystal producing planets. That would change the face of the game, where PVP would finally become the most exciting part of the gameplay, like it is in almost EVERY other MMORPG. Right now, PVP is just instanced TRIBBLE with no strategy and lame rewards.

Of this I have a +1 to in game earn-able Lobi beyond 1 at a time... A fleet holding (late on ofc) another more difficult (modable) mini game to earn like 2-10 lobi per day would be F***** AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! but eh we get very few free bennies.. Perhaps some day.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    the second post is dead on. if PVP were to go away completely and all the PVPers left, PWE would barely notice.

most people who play do not PVP simple fact. why pour resources into something that what, 3% of the population wants? after all, Dinosaurs with fracking laser beams are far more important.

I'm pretty sure that the majority of the population wants it. We've just taken a defeatist attitude and let it go, but deep down we all want PVP. As it is now, the end-game missions are all too EASY these days. Get better ships with higher dps for what exactly? All the Borg Elites, except one are a breeze. There's little challenge in the PVE.

That's why I know that players are thirsting for some PVP challenge that is more than just arena TRIBBLE for 40k credits. Using the current lack of pvpers to prove a point is stupid. There's a lack of pvpers in this game because the current system sucks, as it's all instanced with no strategy and lame rewards. Introducing some strategy and better rewards would change that.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Most people don't want to spend the game having to watch their backs all the time. Its stressful, not fun. If BSG does it so well, play BSG.

It's nice to see the fans of an IP that endorsed the concepts of inclusion and tolerance advocate that a portion of their fellows be disenfranchised because of their preferred playstyle.
  • Options
    sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm pretty sure that the majority of the population wants it. We've just taken a defeatist attitude and let it go, but deep down we all want PVP. As it is now, the end-game missions are all too EASY these days. Get better ships with higher dps for what exactly? All the Borg Elites, except one are a breeze. There's little challenge in the PVE.

That's why I know that players are thirsting for some PVP challenge that is more than just arena TRIBBLE for 40k credits. Using the current lack of pvpers to prove a point is stupid. There's a lack of pvpers in this game because the current system sucks, as it's all instanced with no strategy and lame rewards. Introducing some strategy and better rewards would change that.

As a member of the population, I can assure you I have zero interest in this or PVP in this game in general. Just to give you an idea of how low the number of people that actively PVP is; one of the developers once upon a time posted that Cryptic was considering dropping PVP all together.
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    roxbad wrote: »
    It's nice to see the fans of an IP that endorsed the concepts of inclusion and tolerance advocate that a portion of their fellows be disenfranchised because of their preferred playstyle.

So instead people should play the game the way you say because of PVP's inherent superiority, and anyone disagreeing with you is a crybaby? I get the impression that some people at least have no interest in a math/logic-based good-faith debate on points and merits. Enjoy. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited October 2013

No I can almost guarentee you that the majority of the population would never use it, including the majority of the PvPers in the game. Most players I know who PvP do PvP when they're bored of of their minds, with nothing better to do and all the STFs are on cooldown, so they waste time in a PvP area or just duel each other until their STFs are off cooldown, and then they don't look back at PvP.

To prove my point, look at all the under utilized PvP areas that exist in the contested zone by K9 and Drozana. Practically empty shells of the potential they could have, usually with a single ganker under cloak waiting for the poor under-equiped noob to decloak on, and scare them out of the zone permanently.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    sparhawk wrote: »
    As a member of the population, I can assure you I have zero interest in this or PVP in this game in general. Just to give you an idea of how low the number of people that actively PVP is; one of the developers once upon a time posted that Cryptic was considering dropping PVP all together.

Again, the PVP population is low because Cryptic has neglected developing PVP for years, instead focusing on PVE that is becoming easier and easier (lacking the kind of challenge that can ONLY be provided by PVP). I guarantee you that if Cryptic released a persistent PVP world, the PVP population would dramatically increase. For example, I rarely PVP. 99% of my time on STO is spent doing foundry missions and Elites. That would certainly change if they made PVP more attractive by introducing better rewards and a persistent world where strategy is key.
  • Options
    mirai222mirai222 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Ah, yes, I remember Cryptic's first approach with PvPvE environments. In City of Heroes. They put a lot of time and effort into making zones with challenging PvE objectives that players could fight over, as they also fought each other for any other reason they could come up with.

I generally avoided those zones like the plague, although I really didn't need to. They became ghost towns very quickly. Not surprising, since the arenas introduced earlier were empty at launch.

I really don't see any reason that things would be any better for such zones in STO.
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Again, the PVP population is low because Cryptic has neglected developing PVP for years, instead focusing on PVE that is becoming easier and easier (lacking the kind of challenge that can ONLY be provided by PVP). I guarantee you that if Cryptic released a persistent PVP world, the PVP population would dramatically increase. For example, I rarely PVP. 99% of my time on STO is spent doing foundry missions and Elites. That would certainly change if they made PVP more attractive by introducing better rewards and a persistent world where strategy is key.

First you're absolutly right, the PvP population is low because Cryptic has neglected developing PvP for years. This spot is totally spot on.

However, your wrong that Cryptic releasing a persistant pvp world would help any. First, a persistant pvp world with horrible pvp would not bring in pvpers for long. They'd come in, laugh, and leave... again. First Cryptic needs to fix PvP within the framework that already exists. Then, once its actually worth a damn, THEN let them create the persistant world.

But at the very least we are years away from that, since if they neglect PvE, the game will close down before they have a chance to really fix it.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    "To prove my point, look at all the under utilized PvP areas that exist in the contested zone by K9 and Drozana. Practically empty shells of the potential they could have, usually with a single ganker under cloak waiting for the poor under-equiped noob to decloak on, and scare them out of the zone permanently."

Such places exist? Had no idea. I'm be going there on my next log on.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    First you're absolutly right, the PvP population is low because Cryptic has neglected developing PvP for years. This spot is totally spot on.

However, your wrong that Cryptic releasing a persistant pvp world would help any. First, a persistant pvp world with horrible pvp would not bring in pvpers for long. They'd come in, laugh, and leave... again. First Cryptic needs to fix PvP within the framework that already exists. Then, once its actually worth a damn, THEN let them create the persistant world.

But at the very least we are years away from that, since if they neglect PvE, the game will close down before they have a chance to really fix it.
    That is basically what I said back on the first page :) :
    There is nothing wrong with territory control. The problem is that not enough sto players pvp. There are just not enough people going to use it to make spending the money to create territory control pvp viable. It would be throwing away a lot of money on a fraction of the fanbase. If we cannot get them to spend $5000 to make a new klingon ship how are we going to get them to spend $50000 to make territory control pvp?

What is the financial return to cryptic? Are new pvpers going to flock to the game only to find out that one territory control map is all the game offers? Those people are not going to spend money, so how is cryptic going to make the 50k back?

The whole pvp system needs a revamp. That way new players can come and can be enticed to stay. That will give cryptic a financial benefit. One map just will not do that.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Why not just start by introducing better rewards for the current system? 40k energy credits is utterly pathetic. At least reward players with Dilithium Ore, or even better Lobi crystals. Get people more motivated for PVP and watch the population increase, which in turn should motivate Cryptic to make a persistent PVP zone.
  • Options
    sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Feel free to post your ideas, just pointing out that PVP isn't nearly as popular as you think and that Cryptic mostly only sinks time and money into projects they believe the majority of the population will actually use (or that they can monetize).
  • Options
    shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm 95% sure that the Sphere ground map tech was made with creating PVP battlegrounds in mind.
  • Options
    jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited October 2013
    Sounds like someone just wants PvE players to wander into the zone to do farming so they can gank them for chep thrills to me. Every PvP/PvE mixed zone I have ever seen in any game has gankers looking for PvE players and no actual PvP going on. PvP players spend time in PvP matches without the PvE players.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • Options
    jaymaverick007jaymaverick007 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited October 2013

I must respectfully disagree. Even though Pvp game play has not been a center of development. I have continued to regularly enjoy what pvp there is. It could be vastly developed upon and if it was. I can say confidently that most players may have some desire to participate. This goes even more so for those that are in well developed fleets.

I have seen many people with in the years frustrated with the lack of pvp content and have seen many people leave and return in hopes for more of it. then they see there has been nothing changed since they left.. with the lack of content for pvpers. It gives us a simple cause and effect situation.

less pvp content. then less pvpers there are. so of course if the pvpers leave there will always be less people playing pvp.

many Pvpers do not switch over to pve so well because as I feel myself . pve growns stale after you have done it over 20-80 times.

at some point I only pray that I can face a thinking human, rather then a non thinking ai.

Player vs player could be come very fun especially if it pulls in a need for fleets to use their player bases and resourses in a different way. space territory and ground territory control infact gives some of this. I only urge that the area be as vast as possible and made so that as many ships could participate as possible. I would like to say a Fleet Action/Pvp territory control zone.

But I can only continue to hope. this hope of territory control has helped keep my faith in playing the game. and I choose to continue to support sto through it's ups and down anyway. simply because I support star trek. I hope that the game will evolve to truly embody what star trek is about. I know that in order for it to evolve. I must support my fellow gamers. pvers and pvpers a like. together we create a larger market for sto to build off from.

Cheers to Cryptic for all their hard work and their not giving up on Star trek. :)

Please Keep Turning the gears! The game is an on going mission that will produce a multitude of benefits with both money and joy. Lets how far this game can go with the influence and support of everyone.
    Retired Rear Admiral-Jay Maverick-
    Known simply as -Maverick-
    Klingons should Beware of Maverick.
    Maverick loves a fight and tends to be victorious even as the underdog.
    He has an aptitude for tactics,guerrilla warfare and security.
    "United Federation of Planets"
    12th Fleet - Intelligence Division "Khalija" - Alpha Group
    Not on Current Assignment.-On Retirement leave at Leach Lake in Minnesota
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    So instead people should play the game the way you say because of PVP's inherent superiority, and anyone disagreeing with you is a crybaby? I get the impression that some people at least have no interest in a math/logic-based good-faith debate on points and merits. Enjoy. :rolleyes:

Roll your eyes all you want. You and I both know that your post does not reflect the range of possibilities that might allow for PvE and PvP playstyles to thrive in the same or neighboring environments.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    sparhawk wrote: »
    Feel free to post your ideas, just pointing out that PVP isn't nearly as popular as you think and that Cryptic mostly only sinks time and money into projects they believe the majority of the population will actually use (or that they can monetize).

Allow me to point out that PvP is not as unpopular as many posters in this forum seem to think. Of course, when I point to other games that have healthy PvP populations, the responders telling me to go play those games, will soon follow. Their lack of tolerance or desire to exclude the minority from their gaming environment, does not alter the fact that there is a substantial population of people who want to play a well designed PvP game. If, there were not, PWE/Cryptic would not even be promising changes for (actively stringing along) that group of players, as they do now.
  • Options
    elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    My Fleet does PvP every Friday night. We try to help anyone that is new to PvP with advice on ship builds and we try to balance the teams as best we can to make it as fun as possible for both teams.

It is always a fun event, we enjoy it a lot.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Again, the PVP population is low because Cryptic has neglected developing PVP for years,

This is very true.
    I guarantee you that if Cryptic released a persistent PVP world, the PVP population would dramatically increase. For example, I rarely PVP. 99% of my time on STO is spent doing foundry missions and Elites. That would certainly change if they made PVP more attractive by introducing better rewards and a persistent world where strategy is key.

I guarantee it won't. It might spike for a few days if it was something they hyped, but after that it wouldn't be any better than it is now.

And we have Persistent PvP worlds since Day 1, called the War Zones. People still hate them because it's too easy for gankers, than people actually competing against one another.

And adding better rewards doesn't work. Over the years when they added Marks of Honor and Emblems, it just increased the number of AFKers who just laid over and died without a fight, just to get the match over.

No offense, but STO's PVP has been beyond the point of no return even before F2P. The amount of work they have to do to get it revitalized would mean a literal season in having to rebalance, do psychological observation to encourage PvErs to try PvP, and do it at a level that is simple to understand to get them to learn the techniques. And creation of maps that are interesting.

All of these were posted in the PvP forum over the years and ignored. So it's better to keep as is or put it out of it's misery.