test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

PWE: Are you listening yet?

lordlalolordlalo Member Posts: 460 Arc User
I ask you not take this at anything else but its face value: A concern, real, sincere customer feedback.

For a year or so now, the STO community has been asking and sometimes pleading with the STO developers to add certain features to the game that would give more immersion and to further accommodate the role players in the game.

One of the biggest things I've seen asked on these forums is a truly unique ship interior. While the thought may have been entertained and then shelved -- someone else was paying attention: BIOWARE.

PWE, you had better be on your guard, because there is a trailer out now in space combat in a rival MMO managed by BIOWARE that takes aim at nearly all of these unresolved requests by YOUR role-playing community. I don't believe in coincidences.

I hope PWE is listening now and paying attention. I also hope I'm wrong, and there has actually been some progress and plans on getting some of these elements to the game that have seemingly gone ignored. If not, this community will likely get a bit smaller in the coming months. This is my concern: Please don't allow the community to wane to a rival MMO.

PWE, you claim the staff and game has been growing and a consistent and steady pace for STO; if this is so, it is time to step up your game and stay a step ahead. The way your role players currently see it, you're now a step behind. What plans do you have, is there a way I can be assured that you are making the accommodations to these role players? As many people see it, accommodations are made regularly to end-game grinding elitists, with little consideration given to those of us that sometimes just like to relax and enjoy what we've earned or have a unique trophy case to show for in going the extra step of experiencing the game and not blasting through it.

Brain, if you find this as trolling or what-not, that is truely not the intent. If you find that this is too controversial to keep in the forums, I ask that if you delete it to at least ensure the message reaches the appropriate people in PWE.
Said NO to Arc. Gets punished by not being given a free outfit, free lobi, and free shuttle. Now forced to use Arc's site when trying to get to STO site. Still not rewards for beta testing the Arc website by force. Bravo Cryptic.
Post edited by lordlalo on

Comments

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Having playtested the SWTOR ship combat, STO has very little to worry about in that regard. :)

Thanks for the doom post, though. We spent over a year listening to how SWTOR was going to crush STO before it launched. Then SWTOR went FTP within a year with fans bemoaning it to this day.

I like SWTOR. It's a fun little alternative to STO when I'm looking for something different. But I don't fool myself into believe that SWTOR ship combat is the STO-killer. You shouldn't either. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    lordlalo wrote: »
    I ask you not take this at anything else but its face value: A concern.

For a year or so now, the STO community has been asking and sometimes pleading with the STO developers to add certain features to the game that would give more immersion and to further accommodate the role players in the game.
    I can see several comment made by devs each days on the forum. They listen. But remember only a very small fraction of player are on the forums (less than 3%).

One of the biggest things I've seen asked on these forums is a truly unique ship interior. While the thought may have been entertained and then shelved -- someone else was paying attention: BIOWARE.
    That's a joke ? Bioware never listen to anyone. They made patchs when there were dozens pages topic on the forum telling them how bad it was. With heavy maths, parsers... They usually answered they metrics say it is fine. Months later, another patch to undo part of what was done.
    Example ? Interupt on commando/BH. They said no for months.

As for what they are doing, so far I only heard about a PVP space map. W00T.
    Otherwise, the past year content was just boring daylies. And again more daylies.
    I came back for a month. I uninstalled the game later. The game was hyped as a story based MMO, and that was the cool part. Not for mindless daylies and reputation to grind with boring quests over and over.

And BTW, we complained for the Xmas event, an event you had to PAY for it. But maybe they listened, right ?
    We complained for the P2win ship part. They said it was a mistake, and it would be removed soon. Almost 1year later, it's still there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    but it dose show they are trying to get space combat like sto
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    temporalhavoctemporalhavoc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    SWTOR is in no way a threat to STO. It may have a few fun moments, but frankly? That game is in even worse shape than this one. I wish it wasn't so, but that's just how it is.
    Nick - Human Tactical Officer - FED [INACTIVE]
    Tenix - Romulan Science Officer - KDF Ally [INACTIVE]
    M'ossa - Ferasan Science Officer - KDF [MAIN]

Formerly known on the forums as Remissus
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    erei1 wrote: »
    As for what they are doing, so far I only heard about a PVP space map. W00T.
    Otherwise, the past year content was just boring daylies. And again more daylies.
    I came back for a month. I uninstalled the game later. The game was hyped as a story based MMO, and that was the cool part. Not for mindless daylies and reputation to grind with boring quests over and over.

And BTW, we complained for the Xmas event, an event you had to PAY for it. But maybe they listened, right ?
    We complained for the P2win ship part. They said it was a mistake, and it would be removed soon. Almost 1year later, it's still there.

more daily and mission there then sto done in 3.5 years how many stf are they? ya rep grind so much fun
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    SWTOR is in no way a threat to STO. It may have a few fun moments, but frankly? That game is in even worse shape than this one. I wish it wasn't so, but that's just how it is.

that is only your what is that word? in mine game has put out more content in the year of its f2p that is not lockbox TRIBBLE that is not rep grind TRIBBLE that is not starbase grind TRIBBLE do i need to go on? sto in its time of f2p all of the above
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Considering Bioware's track record since being bought out by Electronic Arts, I don't think Cryptic Studios/Perfect World Entertainment has anything to worry about.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I can see several comment made by devs each days on the forum. They listen. But remember only a very small fraction of player are on the forums (less than 3%).

As I said, they've entertained some ideas, such as being able to design your bridge in the foundry and then it dies with no other mention made or plans announced.
    That's a joke ? Bioware never listen to anyone. They made patchs when there were dozens pages topic on the forum telling them how bad it was. With heavy maths, parsers... They usually answered they metrics say it is fine. Months later, another patch to undo part of what was done.
    Example ? Interupt on commando/BH. They said no for months.

Obviously that's not the case. One of the biggest outcries from role players has been a ship interior that actually "fits" the ship. Bioware has done just this. Bioware may not be listening to THEIR customers, but that doesn't mean they're not listening to the outcries of the role players here.

Listen, I'm not a SW fan in the least -- it was too science friction (not fiction) to me. I'm also not a heavy role player though I don't mind the occasional role play here and there. This, if you understand what makes a community, doesn't make STO's future look so great -- at least the certainty is diminished slightly. You can trivialize this as "doom and gloom" if you want, but the fact is, if you're not using your money to push STO/PWE in the right direction, you are the problem.

To be perfectly honest, the last thing I would want to see, is the game to become even more dominated and focused to end-game grinding elitist tweakers and even less to role-players. While I'm the first one to parse my new setups, I'll admit sitting there having to reparse every week because there is a new load-out is quite annoying and would spell burnout for me very quickly.

For the record, I really loved Mass Effect (except the ending of ME3). I loved Dragon Age: Origins (I didn't care for the rest). Fact is, when EA leaves Bioware alone they have a massive potential to give Syfy fans exactly what they want. Whether they are listening to them or just think like them, regardless they deliver very well. I can't speak for SW -- I've never played it and likely will not play it on principal that there is no scientific basis in any part of the series (if there was, it was not explained well at all). ME had a way of taking space magic and making it seem as if it was within the realm of reality. This is what Bioware is capable of, and this can be dangerous to this community.
    Said NO to Arc. Gets punished by not being given a free outfit, free lobi, and free shuttle. Now forced to use Arc's site when trying to get to STO site. Still not rewards for beta testing the Arc website by force. Bravo Cryptic.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    but it dose show they are trying to get space combat like sto
    more daily and mission there then sto done in 3.5 years how many stf are they? ya rep grind so much fun
    that is only your what is that word? in mine game has put out more content in the year of its f2p that is not lockbox TRIBBLE that is not rep grind TRIBBLE that is not starbase grind TRIBBLE do i need to go on? sto in its time of f2p all of the above
    We get it. You really love SWTOR. :D
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    We get it. You really love SWTOR. :D

i really love sto but make me mad to see ppl bashing swtor like sto the best f2p game out there
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Can't comment on SWTOR really, though it certainly isn't Star Trek themed. And that's why STO doesn't has to be "on guard". Fully customizable ship interiors are a feature I miss in STO. But I don't play another game for that feature, I don't want to customize some random expanded universe Star Wars ship, I want to customize my own Star Trek ship :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I really dont think the role players which is the group the OP seems to be worried about actually makes up any sizeable portion of the games population. If people cant get a pvp update, a crafting update, a full 100% klingon faction, then the role players are not a group that cryptic is going to worry too much about.

As for TOR. it ended up not being a threat at launch. nothing they can add now is going to be a threat.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Dooooooom!!! We're All Doomed!!!
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Dooooooom!!! We're All Doomed!!!

I'm wearing my anti doom pants so i think i'll be ok.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    i really love sto but make me mad to see ppl bashing swtor like sto the best f2p game out there

Sorry, bub. But I was there when the TORtanic set sail.

Being the big Bioware booster that I was, I bought a subscription and played the game. And I'm not even a big Star Wars fan.

I was about to get a harsh learning experience. I just didn't know it yet.

Then the trouble started, and things flared up like a wildfire. My experience with the TORtanic, combined with the whole Mass Effect 3 fiasco, caused me to swear off anything Bioware for good. And whenever possible, I try to avoid EA products, no matter how good they look.

Sorry, but the worst that PWE/Cryptic has done is a drop in the bucket compared to Bioware/EA and the polished turds they churn out.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Sorry, bub. But I was there when the TORtanic set sail..

ya i was there when the stotanic set sail and its P2P model hit a f2pberg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I really dont think the role players which is the group the OP seems to be worried about actually makes up any sizeable portion of the games population. If people cant get a pvp update, a crafting update, a full 100% klingon faction, then the role players are not a group that cryptic is going to worry too much about.

As for TOR. it ended up not being a threat at launch. nothing they can add now is going to be a threat.

Role players make up a rather big portion of this game, and when thinking about it logically, they likely also make up the biggest portion of players with longevity. Think about it for a moment -- you can go from 0 to 50 in 24 hours. The only thing that keeps you from end-game gear is artificial time syncs which seems to really bother non-role players. Now, you tell me from that little tidbit of fact who's likely to hang around after they have all their gear: a content elitist or a content role-player?

Going on this speculation, and considering the rest of what you just said is absolute fact: that PWE doesn't really care much for Role Players (as even PVP doesn't fit RP very well unless they decide to allow open PVP Kling and Fed in arena type sector zones), this sums up a problem.
  • Options
    saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Well... this is a fresh one... A Classical Doom Thread mixed in with just a Dash of Conspiracy to make it fresh and vital!

I'll give you a C+ ;)

But for the Topic...
    Okay... less so... you make it out like there is a massive conspiracy... and that STO is somehow SO big that Electronic Arts sees it as threat and has to "steal" us...
    Yeah... no...

It is most likely a coincidence as it was probably the easiest and cheapest thing they could have thought of to pass off as major improvement.
    EA is not dumb... they know they cannot appeal to those who roleplay a Star Trek Experience with a Star Wars Experience... the broader population of both is too much engaged in Inter-Franchise War so them doing it just to steal Hardcore-Trekker/Trekkies (those that actually roleplay) is too much of a "Hurr Durr" to actually take serious.

Its like making a multi-million Dollar Cake-house to lure lifelong, hardcore SF 49ers Fans to switch over to Greenbay Packers...
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Role players make up a rather big portion of this game, and when thinking about it logically, they likely also make up the biggest portion of players with longevity.

prove it to me.

and that's not how logic works.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    The only problem I see is what i make up in my head to be a problem.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    saekiith wrote: »
    But for the Topic...
    Okay... less so... you make it out like there is a massive conspiracy... and that STO is somehow SO big that Electronic Arts sees it as threat and has to "steal" us...
    Yeah... no...

It is most likely a coincidence as it was probably the easiest and cheapest thing they could have thought of to pass off as major improvement.
    EA is not dumb... they know they cannot appeal to those who roleplay a Star Trek Experience with a Star Wars Experience... the broader population of both is too much engaged in Inter-Franchise War so them doing it just to steal Hardcore-Trekker/Trekkies (those that actually roleplay) is too much of a "Hurr Durr" to actually take serious.

Its like making a multi-million Dollar Cake-house to lure lifelong, hardcore SF 49ers Fans to switch over to Greenbay Packers...

this ^^^^^^^^^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    saekiith wrote: »

While I won't and you claim you won't, obviously we can't speak for others. It is rather ignorant to assume others will think exactly like us or even stay out of the bandwagon if it decides to leave.

Lets face one fact, while Bioware is waving the candy at our kiddies, STO is doing what? Making dinos with lasers. I can't interpret this as a good thing as you can, but I'm willing to listen to you explain it.
    prove it to me.

and that's not how logic works.

So you're telling me that people who blast through content (in a game where core content can be completed in a single day) will stay longer in STO than those whom only use content as a role-playing element? Me thinks your calculator is broken.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Wait so I've been doing it wrong? I need to RP trek by playing a Star Wars game...MY GOD! it makes so much sense now... Mind Blown
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    roxbadroxbad Member Posts: 695
    edited October 2013
    I like SWTOR. It's a fun little alternative to STO when I'm looking for something different. But I don't fool myself into believe that SWTOR ship combat is the STO-killer. You shouldn't either. :)

The only thing that can kill STO is CBS. I strongly suspect that it is the IP that keeps draws and keeps most players here.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Having playtested the SWTOR ship combat, STO has very little to worry about in that regard. :)

Thanks for the doom post, though. We spent over a year listening to how SWTOR was going to crush STO before it launched. Then SWTOR went FTP within a year with fans bemoaning it to this day.

This^^^

STO need not worry about SWTOR space combat....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    edited October 2013
    So you're telling me that people who blast through content (in a game where core content can be completed in a single day) will stay longer in STO than those whom only use content as a role-playing element? Me thinks your calculator is broken.
    No. What he's saying to you is that role-players are a minority, not a majority. For example, I have been here over 4 years. I have never role-played once. The only time I ever go to my bridge is when a mission forces me to go there. Half the time I randomize my uniforms, etc. Most of us are here because we're looking for a decent SciFi MMO where we can pew-pew Borg or whatever. We're not here pretending the game is a Simulator.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    roxbad wrote: »
    The only thing that can kill STO is CBS. I strongly suspect that it is the IP that keeps draws and keeps most players here.

Kill it? Yes. Hurt it? No.
    No. What he's saying to you is that role-players are a minority, not a majority. For example, I have been here over 4 years. I have never role-played once. The only time I ever go to my bridge is when a mission forces me to go there. Half the time I randomize my uniforms, etc. Most of us are here because we're looking for a decent SciFi MMO where we can pew-pew Borg or whatever. We're not here pretending the game is a Simulator.

So tell me how it is logical to assume that because you have never role-played that somehow you are the majority with no other evidence to base it on.

Do you believe the wide variety of vanity uniforms are for you? Do you think the bridges are for you? Do you realize that nearly every aspect of the lifetime veteran rewards are ROLE-PLAYING REWARDS? The Chimera is not a tweak ship and cant hold water to the Arty or Multi-Vector in dps or survivability. The uniform, combadge, the pet, title, these are all role-playing elements. So tell me, using some real logic here, why do you suppose that every reward in the lifetime veteran's list is role playing elements with the exception of the skill boost?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    ya i was there when the stotanic set sail and its P2P model hit a f2pberg

Whatever. I have no time for fanboy TRIBBLE slinging matches. We are just going to have to agree to disagree, and leave it at that.

Based on my experience, Cryptic is the better company to deal with. At least I can point out flaws in the game and constructively criticize the choices/actions by the developers on the official forums, and not get a warning or edited post. Or worse, a ban. And little to no customer service is better than having a customer service department that treats you like a trailer park tramp.

Is Cryptic/PWE perfect? No, they have their issues. But I have yet to see them pull screwjobs worthy of a pro wrestling promotion like Bioware/EA pulled with the TORtanic.

It's well within your rights to defend them and their products if they make you happy. But don't expect the people who personally witnessed their shenanigans you read about on the internet to march in lockstep.

Anyway, I'll let you folks get back to your regularly scheduled DOOM.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    No. What he's saying to you is that role-players are a minority, not a majority. For example, I have been here over 4 years. I have never role-played once..

same this why game make them there own servers i dont care for RP when ppl here talk about RPing all comes to mind is 40 year old RPing the EP of kirk at the OK Corral
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I ask you not take this at anything else but its face value: A concern, real, sincere customer feedback.

A few things,
    1) STO is a 4 year old game. Not many 4 year old games get new content (even at our pitiful pace) let alone revamps.
    2) It is easier for PWE to tell us what we want and say "if you don't like it, don't play" but leave it F2P to hopefully allow more people in, than out.
    3) Have you seen other PWE titles? STO has alot of grind and stupid things but the other titles are alot worse. To an hilarious degree.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?