What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

PWE: Are you listening yet?

Comments

• Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Sorry, bub. But I was there when the TORtanic set sail..

my reply...... ya i was there when the stotanic set sail and its P2P model hit a f2pberg
    Whatever. I have no time for fanboy TRIBBLE slinging matches. We are just going to have to agree to disagree, and leave it at that.

Based on my experience, Cryptic is the better company to deal with. At least I can point out flaws in the game and constructively criticize the choices/actions by the developers on the official forums, and not get a warning or edited post. Or worse, a ban. And little to no customer service is better than having a customer service department that treats you like a trailer park tramp.

Is Cryptic/PWE perfect? No, they have their issues. But I have yet to see them pull screwjobs worthy of a pro wrestling promotion like Bioware/EA pulled with the TORtanic.

It's well within your rights to defend them and their products if they make you happy. But don't expect the people who personally witnessed their shenanigans you read about on the internet to march in lockstep.

Anyway, I'll let you folks get back to your regularly scheduled DOOM.

what cant take your own lame jokes back at ya?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    lordlalo wrote: »

So you're telling me that people who blast through content (in a game where core content can be completed in a single day) will stay longer in STO than those whom only use content as a role-playing element? Me thinks your calculator is broken.

So you cant prove it to me? you cant tell me what % rp?

i personally hate RP. I dont do it at all yet I've been here for nearly 4 years. so what does any of this prove? my longevity is equal to anyone in this game and yet i dont rp.

role players dont get bored? they do it every single day? they dont take breaks?

its not logic, its speculation.
  • Options
    lordlalolordlalo Member Posts: 460 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    chalpen wrote: »
    A few things,
    1) STO is a 4 year old game. Not many 4 year old games get new content (even at our pitiful pace) let alone revamps.
    2) It is easier for PWE to tell us what we want and say "if you don't like it, don't play" but leave it F2P to hopefully allow more people in, than out.
    3) Have you seen other PWE titles? STO has alot of grind and stupid things but the other titles are alot worse. To an hilarious degree.

I hate to bring it up, but EQ is knocking on 15 years old and it gets new content very regularly.

You are right about 2 and 3, and I hope people here have enough sense to steer PWE away from these choices rather than follow the cliche "another chicken little" in effort to stay in the "cool crowd".
    So you cant prove it to me? you cant tell me what % rp?

i personally hate RP. I dont do it at all yet I've been here for nearly 4 years. so what does any of this prove? my longevity is equal to anyone in this game and yet i dont rp.

role players dont get bored? they do it every single day? they dont take breaks?

its not logic, its speculation.

Can you? Then your argument is ALSO speculation. Welcome to the party.
    Said NO to Arc. Gets punished by not being given a free outfit, free lobi, and free shuttle. Now forced to use Arc's site when trying to get to STO site. Still not rewards for beta testing the Arc website by force. Bravo Cryptic.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Do you believe the wide variety of vanity uniforms are for you? Do you think the bridges are for you? Do you realize that nearly every aspect of the lifetime veteran rewards are ROLE-PLAYING REWARDS? The Chimera is not a tweak ship and cant hold water to the Arty or Multi-Vector in dps or survivability. The uniform, combadge, the pet, title, these are all role-playing elements. So tell me, using some real logic here, why do you suppose that every reward in the lifetime veteran's list is role playing elements with the exception of the skill boost?
    I own every Fed ship, every Fed costume, every Fed playable and Boff species, etc. I'm not a role-player. I own all but 2 KDF ships and every KDF item from the C-Store. I'm not a role-player. I think you get the picture. :)

And if you think the Chimera is a bad ship, well, you need to learn how to use it. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I hate to bring it up, but EQ is knocking on 15 years old and it gets new content very regularly.
    And what's your point? You're about to get Season 8, and you got a new Expansion Pack, all for free.

Not liking the content is not the same thing as not getting content.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

think they forgot wow and eveonline also
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    I own every Fed ship, every Fed costume, every Fed playable and Boff species, etc. I'm not a role-player. I own all but 2 KDF ships and every KDF item from the C-Store. I'm not a role-player. I think you get the picture. :)

And if you think the Chimera is a bad ship, well, you need to learn how to use it. :)

The Chimera is an awful ship. It was perhaps great when they came out with it, but even now T5 fleet ships are challenged by lockbox ships (and weapons).

You can say you have everything PWE has created, but the fact is, the items they have in the veteran rewards are for role playing purposes -again, with the exception of the skill boost. You can't deny that so I don't understand why you would try to dance around it by trying to trivialize the statement by somehow implying that because you also use it, it is therefor invalid.
    And what's your point? You're about to get Season 8, and you got a new Expansion Pack, all for free.

Not liking the content is not the same thing as not getting content.

You need to shave the rest of your head now, because that point zoomed right over your head.

*point*

YOU.
    Said NO to Arc. Gets punished by not being given a free outfit, free lobi, and free shuttle. Now forced to use Arc's site when trying to get to STO site. Still not rewards for beta testing the Arc website by force. Bravo Cryptic.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Can you?

no i cant. nor did i say i could.

i will remind you that i said 'I really dont think the role players which is the group the OP seems to be worried about actually makes up any sizeable portion of the games population'

you replied with 'Role players make up a rather big portion of this game, and when thinking about it logically, they likely also make up the biggest portion of players with longevity.'

you replied with a comment that sounded like you knew, when you dont. you then said that likely have the highest longevity despite no evidence to your guess.

so we are back to my last point. its not logic, its speculation.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The Chimera is an awful ship. It was perhaps great when they came out with it, but even now T5 fleet ships are challenged by lockbox ships (and weapons).

You can say you have everything PWE has created, but the fact is, the items they have in the veteran rewards are for role playing purposes -again, with the exception of the skill boost. You can't deny that so I don't understand why you would try to dance around it by trying to trivialize the statement by somehow implying that because you also use it, it is therefor invalid.

They gave me a Monkey so i can RP Micheal Jackson??? OMG I'm such a noob I've been playing STO all wrong this whole time.

this threat has educated me
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    no i cant. nor did i say i could.

i will remind you that i said 'I really dont think the role players which is the group the OP seems to be worried about actually makes up any sizeable portion of the games population'

you replied with 'Role players make up a rather big portion of this game, and when thinking about it logically, they likely also make up the biggest portion of players with longevity.'

you replied with a comment that sounded like you knew, when you dont. you then said that likely have the highest longevity despite no evidence to your guess.

so we are back to my last point. its not logic, its speculation.

So, my argument is speculation because it can't be proven and based on some logic. Your argument also can't be proven and you claim is also based on some logic.

Right, so then your argument is also speculation. Welcome to the party.
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    They gave me a Monkey so i can RP Micheal Jackson??? OMG I'm such a noob I've been playing STO all wrong this whole time.

this threat has educated me

Why else would they give you a monkey that jumps around? You think they're advertising for Planter's Peanuts? :P
  • Options
    edited October 2013

i dont recall roleplaying with any of the vet rewards either. sure you can roleplay with them. im sure a roleplayer can use almost anything to roleplay if he wishes but there is no reason to think these where made with roleplay in mind as its main goal.

we use bridges and costumes because it looks cool. because we want to look like the characters from the show, and walk around the locations. thats not roleplay.
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    think they forgot wow and eveonline also

I haven't forgotten.

First, I think EQ is done. They decided this summer to no longer make new content for it. I may be wrong. Either way it doesn't change what I am saying.

And Wow and Eve do make alot of content. WOW is just the same junk, but EVE seemingly adds new features often.

But when you look at all the MMO's out there, you won't see lots of change or "good" content in F2P.

How many F2P mmo's increase their level cap (I think LOTR did once) or increase non grindy content? None.

All wow does it release grindy content and they aren't F2P.

MMO's are grindy. Every single one of them.

Wow wasn't originally. But EQ.....oh EQ......

Conan wasn't when it was originally released either. Neither was Camelot. But they became grindy.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    So, my argument is speculation because it can't be proven and based on some logic. Your argument also can't be proven and you claim is also based on some logic.

Right, so then your argument is also speculation. Welcome to the party.

I dont think you seem to grasp how this works. I made a comment that was a guess. you replied that i was wrong by telling me so. you cant back it up in any way. nor am i claiming my post was based on logic either. im claiming it was a guess.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    i dont recall roleplaying with any of the vet rewards either. sure you can roleplay with them. im sure a roleplayer can use almost anything to roleplay if he wishes but there is no reason to think these where made with roleplay in mind as its main goal.

we use bridges and costumes because it looks cool. because we want to look like the characters from the show, and walk around the locations. thats not roleplay.

Let me make sure I'm interpreting your argument correctly -- because you don't role-play with a role-playing item, therefor it is not a role-playing item? Does that sum it up? So therefor we can assume from your logic that because I don't drive my Chevelle, it is therefor not an automobile?
    I dont think you seem to grasp how this works. I made a comment that was a guess. you replied that i was wrong by telling me so. you cant back it up in any way. nor am i claiming my post was based on logic either. im claiming it was a guess.

Obviously you too are not grasping it: You replied originally claiming my argument was wrong by interjecting MORE speculation. This makes your argument circular and therefor invalid.
  • Options
    darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Know how bad listening to the masses can be? I avoided the Chimera because of all the flack it was taking. Then thought on one toon just to be different, why not try it. I like it myself. So for all the people in here saying how TOR is so bad, that is an opinion that probably is flawed as well.

Now, I -- while invited to the beta -- have yet to try the new space PvP beta. One part is that it pisses me off that while we the players complained about the space on rails, BW did tell us the couldn't do more due to the engine of the game and this shows they either lied or just were not competent enough to do it before.

Yes, I like TOR. And like STO, with the flaws, they are based on IPs I love. If either game was made the way they are but not based on Trek or Wars, I'd probably have left both a long time ago out of boredom... just like I did with Champions Online where my characters last login was like 1200+ days ago. IP I don't care about + weakly designed game = GOODBYE. And STO is CO with just another skin no matter what people believe.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Let me make sure I'm interpreting your argument correctly -- because you don't role-play with a role-playing item, therefor it is not a role-playing item? Does that sum it up? So therefor we can assume from your logic that because I don't drive my Chevelle, it is therefor not an automobile?

Obviously you too are not grasping it: You replied originally claiming my argument was wrong by interjecting MORE speculation. This makes your argument circular and therefor invalid.
    An items is not a role-play item. A bridge is not a role-play item. It's a bridge. A uniform is not a role-play item. It's a uniform. Yes, you can role-play while using the item, but you can also role-play while not using the item. Thus, it's not a role-play item. It's just an item.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    An items is not a role-play item. A bridge is not a role-play item. It's a bridge. A uniform is not a role-play item. It's a uniform. Yes, you can role-play while using the item, but you can also role-play while not using the item. Thus, it's not a role-play item. It's just an item.

So tell me, what usefulness is a bridge to a tweaker? What stats does it provide? What usefulness is a uniform? What stats does that provide to a tweaker? Just curious.

Assuming you can't provide statistical values to the above stated questions: What you are indeed saying is that an item is not a role-playing item at your behest because what you say is final even though it ONLY benefits someone who role-plays?
    chalpen wrote: »
    I haven't forgotten.

First, I think EQ is done. They decided this summer to no longer make new content for it. I may be wrong. Either way it doesn't change what I am saying.

And Wow and Eve do make alot of content. WOW is just the same junk, but EVE seemingly adds new features often.

But when you look at all the MMO's out there, you won't see lots of change or "good" content in F2P.

How many F2P mmo's increase their level cap (I think LOTR did once) or increase non grindy content? None.

All wow does it release grindy content and they aren't F2P.

MMO's are grindy. Every single one of them.

Wow wasn't originally. But EQ.....oh EQ......

Conan wasn't when it was originally released either. Neither was Camelot. But they became grindy.

Please don't get me started on EQ and how SOE purposely sabotaged that game.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

these items are not specifically roleplay items. these are items that can be used to enhance people that do roleplay.

a ship interior is not a roleplay item. it can be used by roleplayers.

a ship is a not a roleplay item. it can be used by roleplayers.

clothing is nor a roleplay item. it can be used by roleplayers.

do you understand the difference? these items were not created for roleplayers. they were created for everyone and people can use them to roleplay if they wish. that does not mean that the majority of people roleplay or these items where made for roleplayers in mind. even if you remove every single roleplayer from this game, these items would still have value to everyone else because they are not specifically roleplay items as you claim.

get it?
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Considering how much I've dealt with the community for the 4 years, I can safely say that no, the majority of players are not RP'ers. A reasonable chunk? Sure. But majority? Nah.

People will pretend they're starship captains sure, they'll even MAYBE dabble in little "rp" sessions that happen on a whim at a starbase if someone includes them. But most just wanna play the PVE content, make friends and discuss walking dead (that was just a random tv show that popped into my head :P) then go off and do something else.

Do I want to be able to customize the interior of my ship using the foundry? WELL DUH :P Am I going to jump ship and go to another game because that's happening elsewhere? Newp. I play both TOR and STO and have for awhile. Both have their appeals but I haven't seen anything recently that'll be a direct, major threat to STO and haven't since day 1.

But just for added fun

ZOMG DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMM! (had too hehe)

PS - When we do get rid of threads, even if they're controversial if they have good intel they do get passed along AFAIK :)
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    angrytarg wrote: »
    [...]Please don't get me started on EQ and how SOE purposely sabotaged that game.

Let me guess... you are one of those that don't believe there was someone on the moon and the Government is testing Bio-Agents with those "Chem-Trails"?
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    askray wrote: »
    Considering how much I've dealt with the community for the 4 years, I can safely say that no, the majority of players are not RP'ers. A reasonable chunk? Sure. But majority? Nah.

People will pretend they're starship captains sure, they'll even MAYBE dabble in little "rp" sessions that happen on a whim at a starbase if someone includes them. But most just wanna play the PVE content, make friends and discuss walking dead (that was just a random tv show that popped into my head :P) then go off and do something else.

Do I want to be able to customize the interior of my ship using the foundry? WELL DUH :P Am I going to jump ship and go to another game because that's happening elsewhere? Newp. I play both TOR and STO and have for awhile. Both have their appeals but I haven't seen anything recently that'll be a direct, major threat to STO and haven't since day 1.

But just for added fun

ZOMG DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMM! (had too hehe)

PS - When we do get rid of threads, even if they're controversial if they have good intel they do get passed along AFAIK :)

I did not say that the the majority was role players, I did say the majority of the longevity players were indeed role players. In fact, the 50 or so friends I have who have lifetime subs, about 30 of those are role players at least part-time.

I made the argument counter to someone claiming that the amount of role-players in this game was so insignificant that they shouldn't be entertained (quite literally what was said being summed up).
    saekiith wrote: »
    Let me guess... you are one of those that don't believe there was someone on the moon and the Government is testing Bio-Agents with those "Chem-Trails"?

No, I was just observant and noticed that about the time POP came out and split the community, at the very moment, they were working on EQ2 which further split it. It was also notable that SOE couldn't maximize their profits from EQ1 because of the rights that Brad had to that title.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    So tell me, what usefulness is a bridge to a tweaker? What stats does it provide? What usefulness is a uniform? What stats does that provide to a tweaker? Just curious.

Assuming you can't provide statistical values to the above stated questions: What you are indeed saying is that an item is not a role-playing item at your behest because what you say is final even though it ONLY benefits someone who role-plays?
    You do understand that liking an item doesn't make you a role-player? It makes you a fan. Wanting your character to wear the same uniform as Kirk in TWoK doesn't make me a role-player. It makes me a fan of TWoK. Those are two entirely different things.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    askray, and equally can be said "I play both TOR and STO and have for awhile. Both have their appeals but I haven't seen anything recently that'll be a direct, major threat to TOR and haven't since day 1."?

Sure it can be said. So these threads really crack me up because the internet nerd rage is strong with people's insecurities.

Most people play the games for different reasons/pleasure.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    You do understand that liking an item doesn't make you a role-player? It makes you a fan. Wanting to wear the same uniform as Kirk in TWoK doesn't make me a role-player. It makes me a fan of TWoK. Those are two entirely different things.

My friend, you just hit the essence of role-playing.
    role-play (rlpl)
    v. role-played, role-play?ing, role-plays
    v.tr.
    To assume or represent in a drama; act out: "Participants are encouraged to pass on leads about jobs ... and to role-play interview situations with each other" (Hatfield MA Valley Advocate).
    v.intr.
    To assume or act out a particular role: "When I hire people I role-play with them ... to see how they take pressure" (Peter Schrag).
    n.
    Role-playing.
    The American Heritage? Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ?2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Need I remind you this is a MMORPG you are talking about -- Massive Multuiplayer Online RolePlaying Game. Perhapse you guys/gals realize how silly you sound?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    You do understand that liking an item doesn't make you a role-player?

Evidently not.
  • Options
    stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Little did I know that if I chose to wear my green lantern tshirt instead of my bud lite tshirt I was roleplaying. I guess these forums are useful for something. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    stf65 wrote: »
    Little did I know that if I chose to wear my green lantern tshirt instead of my bud lite tshirt I was roleplaying. I guess these forums are useful for something. :)

Or when I wear my Batman t-shirt that I'm Batman. Hey, we should form up the Justice League and find a guy wearing the S, Lightning shirt, and a scantly dressed girl in a Wonder Woman shirt.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Telling the truth about a games faults isn't called bashing, it's called honesty.

no lets get it right its ones >>>opinion<<< on some of the things but lets be honest sto is no perfect mmo and that all im trying to say any time swtor is mentioned ppl here are fast to put that game down like sto is sooo perfect
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Correction it was the Ataritanic that set sail. STO was merely a passenger. When PWE took over, STO and Cryptic were the only successful properties Atari had that they could sell.

ya sure lets blame all of sto failure on atari like non of it can be placed on cryptic how many featured episode series has cryptic done since PWE took over how many was done before PWE took over only thing really groundbreaking been done since PWE was adding a mini romulan faction
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Since the subject of space is mentioned a lot in here, can someone post me all the Youtube videos of Star Trek shows/movies where the space combat means taking shots from the rear ALL THE TIME? No matter what course direction change, the NPC's immediately counter with staying in the back. I am having a hard time finding those episodes. And since Cryptic is perfect in every way and nothing wrong with the game is on them by the elite defender squad, I figured I must have missed those episodes. (Or they must have been part of that god awful Enterprise show that I did not have the stomach for)

Cryptic captured the Star Trek space combat so perfectly, right? And since they did, there must be hundreds of videos showing the shooting from behind always in Star Trek.