test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why isn't Starfleet deploying large Battle Mechs??

newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
We are going to be fighting large dinosaur with big teeth and frickin' laser beams on their heads don't tell me we are going up against them on foot!!!???

That is just so unbelievable!! I mean everyone knows what happens to humans when they are on foot close to larger dinosaurs - squish or chomp.

It will be a fail if we don't get deployed in large battle mechs with even larger frickin' lasers!!
Post edited by newromulan1 on

Comments

• Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    That is just so unbelievable!! I mean everyone knows what happens to humans when they are on foot close to larger dinosaurs - squish or chomp.
    Since it never happened, no, we don't.
    I guess it's just like an elephant or something, grab a big gun, shoot between the eyes, take a trophy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    They should deploy bazookas for the standard mechs, and take a cue from Champions Online and deploy Argo buggies in a ground-vehicle-based STF against whatever could be even worse than a V-Rex.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    We don't need them....beaming down 9 Quantum mortars on a V Rex is good enough.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    erei1 wrote: »
    Since it never happened, no, we don't.
    I guess it's just like an elephant or something, grab a big gun, shoot between the eyes, take a trophy.

Look at any contemporary example like Jurassic park - humans on foot never did well.

Even B movies like caurnosaur they went up against them in machines.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Mechwarrior Online is thataway
    >
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    lianthelia wrote: »
    >
    If it's the same way than for Dino Storm, we will have Mechwarrior ingame very soon.

BTW, Voth already have battle mechs, why not us ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    We don't need them....beaming down 9 Quantum mortars on a V Rex is good enough.

I assume they will be fast and mobile so large battle mechs make more sense.

And don't say we have not seen large battle mechs in Star Trek because we have not seen large t-rex with frickin' lasers either!!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    lianthelia wrote: »
    >

No going up against 50 foot tall T-Rex in anything but a large shuttle or armored vehicle will make this dinosaur thing even less believable.
  • Options
    natthaannatthaan Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I assume they will be fast and mobile so large battle mechs make more sense.

And don't say we have not seen large battle mechs in Star Trek because we have not seen large t-rex with frickin' lasers either!!

Give us some MP-5s or P-90s Ak-47s even a MACO Tank?:D:D
  • Options
    sandormen123sandormen123 Member Posts: 862 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Canna we have mobile JJ-teleporters too, and teleport those dino's into enemy ships?

How about a Tsunkatse arena where we can have our pets fight dinos with frickin' lasers. I bet you my white christmas Pooh with earmuffs can scare the dino to death. -Ref: Elephonts vs mice.

:eek:
    /Floozy
  • Options
    saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The Problem with "Large" Battle Mechs is, that they are inherently unstable and most if not all Franchises where Mechs are used seem to simply ignore it (or for that matter the AT-TE is actually the most stable design).

And depending on the actual Size, the Voth Armor is not a Mech but a simple Power Armor of which we already have a very light Version (MACO and that Klingon Set whose name I can't remember).

Power Armor itself is, depending on the actual design, better if you can't field any Ground Vehicles (Light Support or Heavy Armor) but need a bit more firepower / Armor than a simple Infantry Unit can carry by itself, for example see the famous T-51b Power Armor.
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm totally ready for some Starfleet Gundams. Alternatively, I'd settle for Starfleet ship Transformers. Try and fight that you stupid Voth. :P
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    saekiith wrote: »
    The Problem with "Large" Battle Mechs is, that they are inherently unstable and most if not all Franchises where Mechs are used seem to simply ignore it (or for that matter the AT-TE is actually the most stable design).

And depending on the actual Size, the Voth Armor is not a Mech but a simple Power Armor of which we already have a very light Version (MACO and that Klingon Set whose name I can't remember).

Power Armor itself is, depending on the actual design, better if you can't field any Ground Vehicles (Light Support or Heavy Armor) but need a bit more firepower / Armor than a simple Infantry Unit can carry by itself for example the famous T-51b Power Armor.
    You should play the new content on Tribble, the Voth "power armor" have more than twice the size of a Voth.
    They are battlemech with a Voth inside, that's all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    saekiith wrote: »

Power Armor itself is, depending on the actual design, better if you can't field any Ground Vehicles (Light Support or Heavy Armor) but need a bit more firepower / Armor than a simple Infantry Unit can carry by itself for example the famous T-51b Power Armor.

Anything less than large power armor going up against dinosaurs will be a total joke - I mean really - guys on foot facing charging 50 foot tall armored dinosaurs is going to look silly!
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    A simple Hand Phasers can explode with more force then C4, not to mention vaporize humanoids with the click of a button. Photon Torpedoes can hit with more power then a tactical nuke. What do they need mechs for? :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I don't know, it might be interesting if they add something to experiment with ground vehicles in the game. Not battle mechs, necessarily, but maybe some kind of tank or 'jeep' type vehicle...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I don't know, it might be interesting if they add something to experiment with ground vehicles in the game. Not battle mechs, necessarily, but maybe some kind of tank or 'jeep' type vehicle...
    Just say it. You want the ARGO, with its assorted weapons. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    If I could, I would ;)

Really? More than double the size? Bigger than the Big Rex? Are you sure or is this an (unconscious) exaggeration for the sake of the argument?

If true, that's a... large... oversight and should be corrected... I think 1.5x the size of an average Voth should be enough.
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    No going up against 50 foot tall T-Rex in anything but a large shuttle or armored vehicle will make this dinosaur thing even less believable.

http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/www/c4/ef/c4ef4e81bf3d918aac4ddb6f11c711a71381520890.jpg

If they're 50 feet tall that would make the Voth what...40 feet tall?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Can't say it; no clue what the 'Argo' is.

I was thinking more along the lines of "Starfleet is the 'Navy', MACOs are the 'Marines', give the 'Marines' some kind of tanks and humvees."
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Can't say it; no clue what the 'Argo' is.

I was thinking more along the lines of "Starfleet is the 'Navy', MACOs are the 'Marines', give the 'Marines' some kind of tanks and humvees."
    The ARGO is the little buggy thing from Nemesis with the cannon weapon in the back. http://youtu.be/GX-SYhzfaf0
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    A simple Hand Phasers can explode with more force then C4, not to mention vaporize humanoids with the click of a button. Photon Torpedoes can hit with more power then a tactical nuke. What do they need mechs for? :)

Lame reasoning - look at most ds9 episodes - why did so many Starfleet die because they could not stop Jem hadar with their phaser rifles!!

Look at modern history - one side came out with the tank - like the Voth power armor - the other side either is destroyed or fields similar weapons very quickly.
  • Options
    assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Straight from the Starfleet Operations Manual:
    It has long been the hallmark of starship quartermasters that any and every mission can be accomplished with the standard issue equipment package: a communicator, a phaser, and a tricorder, plus a medikit for the doctor. Many an away team lieutenant, eager to load his men down with verteron inducers and gill-packs "just in case"has heard this irritating home truth from the first officer. It isn't any less irritating for being true: starship logs are full of planets pacified, cultures studied, and Romulan invasions foiled with nothing more than a phaser-II and a sufficiently fast hand on the transporter controls. It's vital to get every ounce of use out of the "standard issue" kit before requesting more equipment. Starfleet doesn't like to risk leaving technical gear behind anywhere, especially on primitive worlds (the Iotian precedent still rankles). Even on civilized planets, having state-of-the-art Federation technology fall into the wrong hands (Romulan spies or Orion Syndicate smugglers) erodes the Federation's crucial design and engineering edges over its rivals. In a galaxy with replicators, nothing remains "top secret" for long - but Starfleet works hard for every single day. Captains have thesehome truths drilled into them by Starfleet Command, and first officers have to to report any and all "probable technology loss or contamination" under Regulation 209/7. Furthermore, ship captains don't like (and don't tend to promote) Starfleet officers who depend on gadgets instead of guts, brains and instict.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Lame reasoning - look at most ds9 episodes - why did so many Starfleet die because they could not stop Jem hadar with their phaser rifles!!
    Because what looks good on camera doesn't equate to realism. Star Trek is rife with people forgetting how powerful their weapons are, except when they want to use them in a particular scene. Star Trek loves writer's fiat. The heroes get smarter and dumber as the scene demands. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Look at modern history - one side came out with the tank - like the Voth power armor - the other side either is destroyed or fields similar weapons very quickly.

Because their Phasers don't come with auto targeting like ours do. :P
  • Options
    blackwing78blackwing78 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Why not, and while we are at it i'll add my wishlist too:

Lex Luthors Combat Armor

The Joker's Makeup

Same level of Gamma Radiation as Bruce Banner

AT-AT's

Magical Beans

Cybernetic Implants

Steel Bacon

Beer and Pie

Make it so Dev's!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Voth have upped the level with large power armored suits and extremely large armored dinosaurs-without matching that in some way it will make the game look silly and even less believable.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Never watched Nemesis - got it for Christmas one year, promptly took it to a used-books store and traded it for credit towards a season of Monster Garage.

But, yeah, I guess that's basically what I'm wanting; move the cannon so that it has 360 degree arc of fire or give the passenger a forward facing gun to balance it out, but yeah. Treat it like a ground-mission version of a small craft; one forward, one aft weapon, 'hull', 'engine', two BOff slots...
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Because what looks good on camera doesn't equate to realism. Star Trek is rife with people forgetting how powerful their weapons are, except when they want to use them in a particular scene. Star Trek loves writer's fiat. The heroes get smarter and dumber as the scene demands. :)

Sorry cosmic series plot arguments went right out the airlock with the iintroduction of armored t-rex with frickin' lasers on their heads!!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Never watched Nemesis - got it for Christmas one year, promptly took it to a used-books store and traded it for credit towards a season of Monster Garage.

But, yeah, I guess that's basically what I'm wanting; move the cannon so that it has 360 degree arc of fire or give the passenger a forward facing gun to balance it out, but yeah. Treat it like a ground-mission version of a small craft; one forward, one aft weapon, 'hull', 'engine', two BOff slots...
    :( Nemesis was actually good.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg