Options

Havelock's How to Fix the Rep System

13»

Comments

• Options
    milanvoriusmilanvorius Member Posts: 641 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    canis36 wrote: »
    Good lord, do you people even listen? The Devs have stated that they will never make the Reputation system account bound. Accept it and move on. The sooner you do the sooner they'll actually listen to you. Havelock's suggestions, even if I don't really agree with all of them or have ideas of my own I'd prefer are good, solid and acknowledges that the Devs will not make the reputations account bound.

Then they need to make rep traits not count in PvP. As more rep is released 1/season we will never get new players to try pvp out or if they do, they will constantly be behind. It will seriously hamstring our growth, as stunted as it is with no attention, as a parcel of the game.

It is a good thing for pve, where you can be more patient with it, but you need it more urgently for pvp.

Now if completing pvp matches gave bonus rep then we could be talking about something new.
    PvE Jem'Hadar motto: Participation Ribbons are life.
  • Options
    axellightningaxellightning Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    In twitter: https://twitter.com/PWE_BranFlakes/status/388059330957680640

Bran said that rep could not be account bound because it is not your character earning rep. Then make it a "Task Force Reputation" and have it bee account or atleast faction/account bound while considering our captains on an account to be of a task force. Reputation doesn't have to be for the individual, army units have reputation.

This might have to be faction specific, but i would take that over anything. I am already committed to doing this twice. I think they are letting their grand idea act as a major barrier to lots of play possibilities. Effectively they have shut off my kdf side because I have to make choices.

Nothing short of account bound or similar rep will make me happy. that would be different if they offered 10-15 missions to complete that were engaging and fun, but running the same mission 50 times on each toon has burned me.

The things they are talking about are better than nothing and I am very encouraged that it will make it easier till they realize the error made in two more seasons. However any help versus what we have now will be like getting jabbed in the eye with a steel poker and getting jabbed in the eye with a red hot steel poker.

Making it so repetitive is bad, making it less repetitive is less bad. Making it account bound is good.

Hooray! :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lhoygowlhoygow Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Might have already been posted, but eliminating all variety of marks (Omega, Romulan, Nukara, Fleet...and any new ones) into just a single type would be my recommendation. Do any rep event you want, earn a single type of mark and put those marks into whatever rep you want to increase. And then in order to keep other events active, add a singular item type that can only be acquired from running the associated rep event, as is currently the case with BNPs in the Omega rep. Use the BNPish currency for the rep gear instead of dilithium, but keep dilithium for the rep store items.
  • Options
    blackwing78blackwing78 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I might be standing alone here but...no thanks?
    Nothing can get me to do the rep on any other character, a 5% discount? really? even if it where 50% i wouldnt bother.

The simple truth is the Reputation "System" in STO is terrible, a tedious grind fest designed to destroy time and resources and what it does NOT do is having anything to do with a "Reputation".

A complete revamp would be in order here, but since that would be work....no.
  • Options
    rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I might be standing alone here but...no thanks?
    Nothing can get me to do the rep on any other character, a 5% discount? really? even if it where 50% i wouldnt bother.

The simple truth is the Reputation "System" in STO is terrible, a tedious grind fest designed to destroy time and resources and what it does NOT do is having anything to do with a "Reputation".

A complete revamp would be in order here, but since that would be work....no.

QFT... Cryptic can't do actual work. Nope. Perish the thought! Then that would lead to actually fixing massive bugs and gameplay problems and balance issues....

Nope, can't have that. They've got dinosaurs with frickin' lasers to add to the game.

And no, I'm not kidding about that last part.
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I sort of wished that the reputation system had been in from the start, then they could have had it based on everything you were doing in-game.

Each tier would unlock at each rank you achieved (Lieutenant Commander, Commander, Captain and so on) but the progress for items would be earned by completing the various assortment of missions you come across within said tiers/ranks; Omega rep items and passives for example, would be earned by completeing Borg related story missions, STFs, and other stuff in B'Tran sector block once you're at rear admiral rank.

Even when you "level" beyond a tier you'll always be able to contribute to it, by doing the tasks within the areas/sector blocks that relate to the rep you want to contribute to, even replaying old missions would count towards it.

Y'know sort of like how you'd expect to "earn" a reputation by well known captains, by actually doing "Starfleet/KDF/RR" related tasks, rather than just collecting items and dilithium like a cargo freighter captain, or miner, would.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    mccarronxldmccarronxld Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Excellent detailing of the three glaring problems with Reputation, and equally excellent solutions OP. :) Hope Cryptic uses all of your suggestions.

Only thing I have an issue with is your solutions for Alts. Tier 5 reputation takes long enough that it should just be account bound. Otherwise I think they should reduce the time it takes to get to T5 (drastically), on top of the discounts for each alt character maxing it.
    "You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Coming in Season 8 will be a new Reputation Sponsorship feature. It will allow a character with a T5 Rep to run a Project (costs 100 Marks) that creates a Sponsorship Token. Then, using the Account Bank, transfer that Token to an Alt. The Alt can then run a Project that uses the Token to unlock a Double-XP Bonus in that Rep. So instead of only earning 2,800xp per day, your Alt can earn 5,600xp per day, cutting the grind in half!

The Sponsoring T5 character can make as many Tokens as they like for each T5 Rep they have (come Season 8 this will work for all Reps: Omega, Romulan, Nukara, and Dyson). So you can pimp out all your Alts from one Main character.

Obviously being in test, there are details that may change, but this is really great news, and I'm really looking forward to S8 all the more!!

This is on Tribble for Testing now. Details here:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=886641

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    milanvoriusmilanvorius Member Posts: 641 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Coming in Season 8 will be a new Reputation Sponsorship feature. It will allow a character with a T5 Rep to run a Project (costs 100 Marks) that creates a Sponsorship Token. Then, using the Account Bank, transfer that Token to an Alt. The Alt can then run a Project that uses the Token to unlock a Double-XP Bonus in that Rep. So instead of only earning 2,800xp per day, your Alt can earn 5,600xp per day, cutting the grind in half!

The Sponsoring T5 character can make as many Tokens as they like for each T5 Rep they have (come Season 8 this will work for all Reps: Omega, Romulan, Nukara, and Dyson). So you can pimp out all your Alts from one Main character.

Obviously being in test, there are details that may change, but this is really great news, and I'm really looking forward to S8 all the more!!

This is on Tribble for Testing now. Details here:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=886641

It is a definite improvement, but my happiness is tempered with need to wait till prime completes T5 and then after it is timegated, the alt has the same 20 hr time gate. I plan on building up resources on desired alts, but it doesn't do much to improve the situation. I think they put off an account wide rep system for a future season. I don't see a 50% bonus helping that much when you have 8 reputations to start and the nukara and romulan ones could be near deserted because of the regular attendance required on the newer ones.
    PvE Jem'Hadar motto: Participation Ribbons are life.