test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What stops you from making a new alt?

genemorphgenemorph Member Posts: 404 Arc User
I'm genuinely curious what stops other people from making a new alt.

For me it is the reputation system re-grind and the prohibitive cost of skill respecs (500 zen). We know a little about the new proposed system for reputation, but I'm not sure it will go far enough to encourage me to make an alt. As for skill respecs, I think they need to radically change this to make it easier to move from one skill build to another. Either by making it cheaper, or making one activation last 1-4 weeks.
Post edited by genemorph on

Comments

• Options
    mrvoodumrvoodu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    the reputation system
  • Options
    dova25dova25 Member Posts: 475
    edited October 2013
    mrvoodu wrote: »
    the reputation system

That ^

On the other hand I won't ever make a new fed character or buy something for my existing one because of the way kdf is treated in this game.

I made a romulan char and I will make new chars as new factions will be introduced in game but I wont upgrade them through reputation systems.Actually I don't know if I will buy ships for the new faction chars.Maybe I will ,maybe I not, it is too soon to say.
    The reason is that I invested a lot of time/ec/zen/dil in my existing kdf chars and since I can't fully use them (lack of comparable ships to Kumari/Vesta/Avenger), I feel mistreated and that is my way to respond.
    "There already is a Borg faction, its called the Federation. They assimilate everyone else's technology and remove any biological or technical distinctiveness and add it to their own."
    I refuse to be content https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwI0u9L4R8U
  • Options
    jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited October 2013
    7 current characters and i am not done with all. Not talking rep but not done tinkering and enjoying all. Rep has no effect on new characters and i am further in rep on some than i was planning but thats because i got the marks while effing about.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • Options
    twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    All of the above. Then again, I already regret the alts I have made, because of said reasons. No way I can keep up for all of them and retain my sanity.
  • Options
    dllmmodllmmo Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The reputation system are not really THAT bad. Sure it is'nt fun to go through on several characters, but in the end, it all pays out well.

I've created, on Romulan, FED and KDF, one of each class. Some have doubles as I also takes species, and skill setup in different ways. I use it as my fun and what I choose to spend my time on. If you do not have the patience to create, level and do the reputation system all over again and again. I suggest you stick to one or two characters.

In the end there are more benefits to having several characters, as Dilithium and EC farming are easier to get going. More ways to play a more different game when you're getting tired of one class or setup.
  • Options
    idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Short answer: Nothing

If anything it would be to get everything with the doffs sorted on the new alt... but meh.
    signwidrona.png
  • Options
    notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    stuff in real life is more important.
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The reputation system, simple as that. With each Reputation released, it is getting harder to justify having more than 1 character.
    I had 20+ before reputations, I have 4 left and soon will most likely only have 1 once the Voth rep is released..

I will be making new characters as and when new factions/species happen, but they wont be going near the rep system and will most likely be deleted once they served their purpose of trying the new content.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Reputation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shmnshmn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Character bound instead of account bound gear, most notably reputation gear (but also fleet gear). The reputation skills I could live without but access to the gear sets is a dealbreaker. Hell, I'd pour more dil into getting more to gear out alts if it was possible, but I will not go through the tier grind again.

To a lesser degree there's also bound ships; some kind of re-boxing service for ships (even if only in account bound boxes so that you can't resell them on the exchange) would help here, even at a relatively high cost like 500 to 1,000 zen.
    IGN: Noveria
  • Options
    kargisterkargister Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I actually like the reputation system. As mmo endgame grinds go its not bad at all. And getting the loot you want vs hoping for a random drop for months on end isn't bad either.

What I don't like are the pugs for the marks. What I don't like is when 3 people in a pug tell a specific individual by name not to blow that generator......and he does anyway. That's pretty much my problem right there.
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Whilst I agree that the Reputation system is the bane of alts, I wouldn't say it stops me (with my latest character bringing my total to 3 Fed, 2 KDF and 2 Romulans).

Mostly i'd say that the grind to get to level 50 puts me off.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    cooperblack1cooperblack1 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The game is simply not good enough to invest the time it takes to have a alt.
  • Options
    foxalpha5foxalpha5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    At the time of this post, the only thing keeping me from making a new character is the upcoming Federation tutorial. Once that is out my new character will be made!

Side point, I'm not bothered at all by the reputation. Since I don't (and will never) pvp, I am in no rush to collect the passives and gear. I will get there eventually, so why worry? If I stop playing STO for a month or two everything will be waiting for me. Like a puppy.

DeltaFox
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    the reputation system

This as well. I even liquidated and deleted about 2/3rds of my existing characters when they introduced the Nukara reputation system.

I'm almost done with my remaining characters and there is no way in hell I'll go through it again, especially not Nukara Rep. The only thing that I would make an exception for would be if they were to introduce another fleshed out, playable species like the Romulans.
    As mmo endgame grinds go its not bad at all.

The only difference is, that in most mmos you grind to improve you character whenever a new set of dungeons or a new faction with attached dailies comes out, with rewards usually being a tier above the last.

In STO, progression goes sideways. You get alternatives, rather than improvements. So we're pretty much grinding, but not really getting anything from it.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The only reason I would make more toons is to explore different aspects of the end-game universe with specific builds narrowly tailored to a specific purpose. Alas there's no end-game universe to explore, and builds are already repetitive with the toons I have.
  • Options
    rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Grinding the ZEN for the new character slots. Most of my dilithium is going towards a fleet, and already having 5 chars (I'm thinking about going gold, so possibly 6). Even if I grind some ZEN, it usually goes towards ships, not towards char slots.
  • Options
    svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The constant grind
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • Options
    redz4twredz4tw Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2013
    I'm not getting new character slots because of the grind, it'll take me months to finish out the 2 feds and one romulan i have. I'm debating deleting the romulan because I want to try a klingon, the romulan isn't that interesting.
  • Options
    captwcaptw Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm out of Slots, also I think 18 is enough.
    lHut1H2.jpg
    "I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived" Picard to Riker
  • Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Nothing is stopping me from making new alts.
    But mostly because I had a fun idea on how to use the character customization options in a new way.
    The new toons get almost immediately neglected after that.

Last toon I leveled up was my Romulan where I stopped bothering going through the rep grind.

That might change when they overhaul the system.

The new Voth rep won't be based on resource grinding but can be done with simply daily plays which is a lot more fun.
    Should turn out to be much like the current CE event really.
    And if the make good on their promise to get account discounts for completed reps on other characters into the game, I would actually level a couple more through the reps.
    With the rep stores unlocked it will, after all, be relatively easy to outfit them in good gear as well.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The grind...

granted.. getting to 50 can be done in a few mirror events...

but then...

you have three (soon four) reputations to grind through to get to the cool gear...

THEN...

If you're part of a fleet you have to grind your Starbase/Embassy/Mine... and soon to be spire.

THEN...

If you're an accolade hunter you'll need to fly around theg ame commiting mass murder.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    There's two things really that stop me from making too many characters (as a matter of fact, I'm in the process of reducing my characters by half, from six down to three). The reputation grind is one such reason, the other being the leveling and missions.

The quickest way to level (steadily) is to go through the missions, but there's only so many times I can play the same mission through before I grow exceedingly tired of it. I've had at least 8 Federation characters in my time, and each time I find myself doing the missions to get my character to level #50. It's dull and a chore. I'd reply them more if they were adaptive/interchangeable; we need missions with different outcomes, skip-able cut-scenes, and (in some cases) more depth.

If that ain't bad enough as a Federation character, we get to repeat the same missions all over again with the Klingons and Romulans. Sure they've been tweaked to play from a different perspective, but they're the same missions. If I've played them with a Federation character, I don't then want to go and have to play the same with a Klingon or Romulan character.

Ideally, each faction should have 50 - 60 individual missions (Featured Episodes aside). No more, no less. Missions can be replaced and updated at will (those missions removed from the story can go to some sort of vault or library so they're still playable, but they're not a main mission).
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    atalossataloss Member Posts: 563 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The game is simply not good enough to invest the time it takes to have a alt.

^ Couldn't have said it better myself.
    One day Cryptic will be free from their Perfect World overlord. Until that day comes, they will continue to pamper the whales of this game, and ignore everyone that isn't a whale.
  • Options
    elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I currently have 10 level 50 characters and I am working on a few more. None of them have very good rep in anything but I am working on that as well :)
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    That whole feeling of "UGH I DON'T WANT TO DO THIS ALL THE **** OVER AGAIN." :rolleyes:

Not just for STO, but for any game. I usually just stick with one main character and sometimes other "mule" characters.
  • Options
    khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Rep grinds and fleet gearing taking the whole of 3 months instead of 3-4 weeks of raiding 3-4 nights per week.

(And even with the latter, I was still alt averse)

I only started leveling alts because I need dilithium slaves. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bothered.

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • Options
    janetza#4790 janetza Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I am recently thinking about making a new alt. I like to make new alts because I can develop new crew, ship and character, I like to make new storylines.
    Rep system and dilith grind to get fleet gear made it so you can start to play only after like 4 month, it is not an option atm so I shall wait if I shall have time or wishing in future.

In-game handle @Janetza