test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 8 Dev Blog #3

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited October 2013 in Galactic News Network [PC]
The Klingon intelligence file contained in the this entry of the Season 8 News Dev Blog series reveals their tactical analysis of the Voth.

Link to the blog.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• burstdragon323burstdragon323 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Really? More Lore?

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~BranFlakes
  • eisenw0lfeisenw0lf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Interesting. Will there be a Romulan Intelligence Report as well?
  • neos472neos472 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    When even Klingons are wary about fighting a race you know they will be a handful
    manipulator of time and long time space traveler
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I, for one, love the lore blogs. And this one was an especially good summary of the Voth and the potential threat they represent. Keep them coming!
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It would be nice if Klingon Intelligence would find us some 5 tactical console ships while they are coming up with ways to fight the voth LOL.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The Voth seem to remind me more and more of The Race from the Worldwar series by Harry Turtledove. They are a bunch of lizards, have a highly mistaken sense of superiority, are more technologically advanced than anyone else, and have an extremely slow rate of progress for technology.
  • stostargatewarsstostargatewars Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Brandon can you fix the following sentence

The effect of Doctrine on Voth society can be seen in the Voyager incident during the late 2360s.

to

The effect of Doctrine on Voth society can be seen in the Voyager incident during the Mid 2370s.

As the episode is in season 3 2373-74.
  • jkirk13jkirk13 Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    "The effect of Doctrine on Voth society can be seen in the Voyager incident during the late 2360s. When the Starfleet vessel Voyager was stranded in the Delta Quadrant, their genetic markers were used as evidence for a Voth scientist?s ?Distant Origin Theory.? This theory states that the Voth actually originated on Earth but developed spaceflight and left the planet to avoid a cataclysmic event."

Umm, Voyager encounter the Voth in the 2370's not 2360's. In fact, the year was 2373.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wayofderawayofdera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Curious. When reading the Lore for the Voth (which is exciting, by the way!) it says, quote:

"These ?Fortresses? can house entire fleets, in addition to thousands of Voth. It would take a small fleet to assault one of these, and we need to consider such engagements carefully before we undertake them."

Is this the right word, or should it be "large?" If small, I'm assuming that 5 ships can take one of these massive "fortresses?"
  • cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,536 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Really? More Lore?

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~BranFlakes

I have to agree. The bulk of the story in STO seems to come from these blogs when it needs to be implemented in the game. Teasers are one thing but for those who don't bother wit the forums miss the bulk of what little story there is.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • hylanvahrhylanvahr Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    wayofdera wrote: »
    Curious. When reading the Lore for the Voth (which is exciting, by the way!) it says, quote:

"These ?Fortresses? can house entire fleets, in addition to thousands of Voth. It would take a small fleet to assault one of these, and we need to consider such engagements carefully before we undertake them."

Is this the right word, or should it be "large?" If small, I'm assuming that 5 ships can take one of these massive "fortresses?"

When you consider that we're playing a game where a starship can single-handedly destroy a Borg cube, a team of five ships taking on a Voth city-ship isn't that far-fetched.
  • salacnar070890salacnar070890 Member Posts: 425 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Oke we have info about the voth now but now i want some info about the Krenim Empire
    Salacnar
    =/\=Priority One Armada=/\=
    32 | Introvert | ADD (W/O Hyperactivity) | He/Him | Hetro-Demisexual | 6’9” ft-in tall | Avatar by: foodcu_be | Gunpla | STO | Yu-Gi-Oh!
  • hurleybirdhurleybird Member Posts: 909
    edited October 2013
    Rabid hibernation state?
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I have to say that I do like these lore blogs. Adds a nice bit of atmosphere for the upcoming battle.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hmm I wonder... will the Voth become a new faction in this game.. and possible other species from Delta Quadrant? That would be cool.. i wouldn't mind playing a Voth as a character. Or a Kazon.
  • urniv821urniv821 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Why even bother putting anything klingon in? lol just make it a stupid starfleet intelligence file. No one will even notice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Your Javelin deals 125417 (89066) Disruptor Damage(Critical) to Tholian Recluse. > lol
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    One, wasn't the Voyager encounter with the Voth in the 70s, not the 60s?

Two, since the Federation and the Empire allies at the time, wouldn't the Federation have shared such exploration knowledge freely? No pillaging of computer cores required?
  • tlamstriketlamstrike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ...since the Federation and the Empire allies at the time, wouldn't the Federation have shared such exploration knowledge freely? No pillaging of computer cores required?

I'm sure Starfleet tried very hard to cover up everything Voyager did in the Delta Quadrant. :P

After all they have Janeway commanding a desk at Starfleet Command... where they can keep an eye on her. ;)
    My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug. :D
  • kriskniveskrisknives Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    jkirk13 wrote: »
    "The effect of Doctrine on Voth society can be seen in the Voyager incident during the late 2360s. When the Starfleet vessel Voyager was stranded in the Delta Quadrant, their genetic markers were used as evidence for a Voth scientist?s ?Distant Origin Theory.? This theory states that the Voth actually originated on Earth but developed spaceflight and left the planet to avoid a cataclysmic event."

Umm, Voyager encounter the Voth in the 2370's not 2360's. In fact, the year was 2373.

This is a Klingon intelligence report, what can you expect? We're probably lucky they spelled the Voth's name right.:P
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    All these Infos about Season 8, but absolutely no info on the new FE ... which was supposed to set the stage for Season 8 (guess that's too late now anyway ...) ... i have a bad feeling about this ... sounds like the FE is gonna be postponed until after Season 8 ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • aegon1iceaegon1ice Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    jkirk13 wrote: »

Just wanted to write this too^^ Voyager stranded in the 70's, not 60's. The KDFI Officer should be executed for this incompetence like the old Transporter Officer on Kronos :D:D:D
  • tlamstriketlamstrike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Maybe the Klingons still use the Julian calendar, thus the date error. :D
    My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug. :D
  • hylanvahrhylanvahr Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Ah yes, Klingon "Intelligence". We have dismissed that claim.

Good blog with all the characteristic bluster and overconfidence that has cost the Empire so much of its Pepto-Bismol colored blood over the years. They thought they could defeat Kirk in TOS and the TMP movies. They failed. They thought they could crush V'ger. That didn't work out so well.

Humans weak and bothersome? This new generation of Klingons, much like the twitter generation of kids in real life, have no wisdom or historical perspective. Captain Picard stood up before the High Council in person on more than one occasion, and I seem to recall Sisko dishing out a good whupping on a Klingon strike team with his bare hands, Kira and Dax doing much the same notwithstanding.

Because this is a video game, the kling'ns can win against the Voth. Enjoy it while you can, KDF. The empire is crumbling under poor leadership, betrayals, and house infighting. Democracy is coming, and canon is clear that your future is with the Federation. ;-)
  • happymarvinhappymarvin Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I have to agree. The bulk of the story in STO seems to come from these blogs when it needs to be implemented in the game. Teasers are one thing but for those who don't bother wit the forums miss the bulk of what little story there is.
    They can put them into some kind of Intelligence File you can access in your Ready Room.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    "Our warriors will not be able to tolerate such attitudes. Conflict is inevitable."

Damn straight! :mad: Now where did I park my Bortas?? :cool:

Also:

"And if this theory is true, does that mean that the Voth will be as weak and bothersome as humans?"

lol :D You gotta' love the Klingon narrative in this game when it happens! :)
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • gypsybladegypsyblade Member Posts: 730 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I don't know why people dislike lore blogs, I personally rate them higher than "Featured Ship" blogs.
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited October 2013
    We've discovered the error with the decryption protocol we were using for the appropriated file. The enclosed date now correctly reads as "2370s".

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm loving these. As it builds up the excitement for the next season. I wonder what the Romulan blog will be?
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hah, love the graphic pointing at the cranial crest like its saying "pull here". :rolleyes:
    Two things of interest in Voth physiology is their ability to fire spines from the lower arms that are coated with a paralytic poison and their ability to enter a rabid hibernation state to avoid danger. Our warriors should use caution when engaging them in close combat.

Interesting. So they fire stun darts and play possum. :P
    Technologically, the Voth are extremely advanced. They possessed the ability to use transwarp millennia ago (but delayed using the technology due to Doctrine concerns), their sensors are well beyond even Starfleet?s best and they possess transporter, cloaking and phasing technology that far outstrips our own. In addition, they have the ability to build massive city ships. These ?Fortresses? can house entire fleets, in addition to thousands of Voth. It would take a small fleet to assault one of these, and we need to consider such engagements carefully before we undertake them.

As far as warrior spirit, we far exceed the Voth in this area. They seem reluctant to engage unless it is a question of Doctrine or survival, and find combat distasteful, preferring to attempt to overwhelm their foes quickly with superior technology. Sources among the Hirogen have told us of Voth battle suits and saurian creatures trained for combat that the Voth use in war, but we have no direct evidence of these phenomena.

Hints at what to expect, I like.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    farmallm wrote: »
    I'm loving these. As it builds up the excitement for the next season. I wonder what the Romulan blog will be?

D'tan will say there are too few romulans left starfleet and the empire must be sacrificed for the good of the romulan people.