test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Battle Group Omega, a map that needs a revisit

rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
Well, anyone ever going to Battle Group Omega knows its value.

Bank, exchange, mail, and that in space!

But the map needs some work on. Here are my issues with it.
1. The contacts still mention marks of valour. I have been in this game ever since February 2012, but I never encountered them. Some wiki search prooved that they don't exist anymore. So why is there a contact still explaining their use? Would be similar to having an officer on every ship explaining how to use your phase cannons and photonic torpedoes (Enterprise era).

2. Where is the Romulan Republic? Although the Republic is a faction in full build-up and can't nearly spend as much recourses as the Federation and the KDF fighting the Borg threat, the Republic is involved in the fight. Borg invasions in Tau Dewa happen quite frequently (although the Tholians always kick their collective TRIBBLE), the Republic is as much threatened by the Collective as Starfleet/KDF. Wouldn't it be more, I don't know, logical if there were some Ha'apaxes and Dhelans flying between the U.S.S. Victory and the I.K.S. Chang? Including them in Battle Group Omega would also finally mean some use for that silly, silly transwarp gate now orbiting Mol'Rihan, or New Romulus. It has to go somewhere, doesn't it?

3. It's time to move the transwarp conduit in this map. Right now it is directly behind the Starfleet strike force. It would be more fair to place it somewhere between Starfleet and the KDF. Preferably behind the Republic's flotilla, which would be between Starfleet and the KDF (for obvious reasons such as their alliance with both parties etc.).

4. Maybe, maybe, maybe add a few new ships to the group. The Galaxy-X and the Vo'Quv that form the flagships of both fleets are now outclassed by the faction flagships, being the Oddysey and the Bortas'qu classes. To see some of the newer ships in this map would be cool imo.

So, what are your 2 ec's about this subject? Discuss.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I approve.

and what the heck is the point of that transwarp anyways? Or the guardian of forever energy signal in orbit of both homeworlds?
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    1. Complete agreement on this one.

2. I'm not sure the Republic has a big enough fleet yet to have a permenant presence with Omega, they'd probably rely more on KDF- and Fed-aligned Republic officers stationed on the allied ships already there.

3. I think the Transwarp gate has to do with allowing Fleet members under level fifty a way to get to New Romulus and the Fleet Embassy, I'm not sure...

4. Considering that we never really see Battle Group Omega in action, I don't really think it matters what they look like. Most of the time, I don't even "Join Battle Group Omega" anyway, I just use the gate to transwarp directly to Gamma Orionis.

5. The 'Guardian of Forever energy signal' is the time/space distortion leading to the Captain's Table, an LTS-only social map.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Thanks mate for the 5th.
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Stop giving Taco ideas :P

With that said, i agree the map needs revisiting and more ships need adding with a focus of frigates and scout ships, there are enough battleships if you ask me, the fleet just needs fleshing out with lesser ships.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • eulifdaviseulifdavis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    rahmkota19 wrote: »
    marks of valour
    There has never been such in the game. We did at one point have Marks of Valor, though. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    5. The 'Guardian of Forever energy signal' is the time/space distortion leading to the Captain's Table, an LTS-only social map.

The Captain's Table is a reward for subscribing for 400 days so it is not a LTS-only social map. Although, only LTS could visit it for the first year.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Meh, this map is barley used doubt cryptic will do anything with it.

But if they were to update it, I would like it to be like the Romulan flotilla, where we beam to the victory, and can see some of the ships out in the window, and use banks and stuff inside.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Everything over a year old needs a revisit
  • marshalericdavidmarshalericdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    How about a RED ALERT with a surprise Borg attack and you help Battle Group Omega beat the Borg.
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Map should really just be removed... it doesn't serve a purpose any longer.

At one point, it was the place players would use to resupply/repair and such when we fought the borg in Gamma Orionis (Pre-Transwarp) (pre F2P Days... when you had to form a team in Zone Chat), and enter the mission from orbit of the actual mission site (I really do miss those days) . When the STF's were split up, and moved to the queues this place lost its purpose... really the only reason to go there now is for the Borg Officer from the Assimilated Accolade.

Same thing I now feel about DS9.... when the Borg Store moved to the Rep System... DS9 lost its main purpose.

Shame really.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    How about a RED ALERT with a surprise Borg attack and you help Battle Group Omega beat the Borg.

That would be interesting. It could be something like the events on Nimbus III, only at Battle Group Omega. That would certainly attracts some attention from players. I think "Transwarp to Battle Group Omega" should be added to Tier I Omega Force Reputation.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited October 2013

See, I'd actually prefer it if the bank, exchange, and mail were moved to a ground map representing the U.S.S. Victory. D'Vak and roxy could be relocated there, along with NPC versions of the current Battle Group Omega contacts.
    1. The contacts still mention marks of valour. I have been in this game ever since February 2012, but I never encountered them. Some wiki search prooved that they don't exist anymore. So why is there a contact still explaining their use? Would be similar to having an officer on every ship explaining how to use your phase cannons and photonic torpedoes (Enterprise era).
    Yikes. If that's true, the dialogue definitely needs to be cleaned up.
    2. Where is the Romulan Republic? Although the Republic is a faction in full build-up and can't nearly spend as much recourses as the Federation and the KDF fighting the Borg threat, the Republic is involved in the fight. Borg invasions in Tau Dewa happen quite frequently (although the Tholians always kick their collective TRIBBLE), the Republic is as much threatened by the Collective as Starfleet/KDF. Wouldn't it be more, I don't know, logical if there were some Ha'apaxes and Dhelans flying between the U.S.S. Victory and the I.K.S. Chang? Including them in Battle Group Omega would also finally mean some use for that silly, silly transwarp gate now orbiting Mol'Rihan, or New Romulus. It has to go somewhere, doesn't it?

3. It's time to move the transwarp conduit in this map. Right now it is directly behind the Starfleet strike force. It would be more fair to place it somewhere between Starfleet and the KDF. Preferably behind the Republic's flotilla, which would be between Starfleet and the KDF (for obvious reasons such as their alliance with both parties etc.).

4. Maybe, maybe, maybe add a few new ships to the group. The Galaxy-X and the Vo'Quv that form the flagships of both fleets are now outclassed by the faction flagships, being the Oddysey and the Bortas'qu classes. To see some of the newer ships in this map would be cool imo.

Omega Force is supposed to be multi-faction, so I say mix the KDF and Starfleet ships together as a joint fleet, and sprinkle in some Romulan Republic ships in good measure.

One last thing: the lighting on the Battle Group Omega space map is...not flattering to any ship.

Edit:
    and what the heck is the point of that transwarp anyways?
    I always figured the location of Battle Group Omega is a closely guarded secret (I think there's some dialogue about that astroid field/moon helping to conceal the fleet) and that the entire sector block has been seized by the Borg - at this point the transwarp gate is the only way to get in and out of the sector block "safely." Shame about all those Federation colonies and starbases in the area.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So far the feedback is great.

As for beaming to the victory: I kinda use this map as my main hub because its not overcrowded and my computer isnt up to specs. So an overcrowded ground map isnt something i would agree on, but if that is what it takes, then its fine for me.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I don't think I have been back to BGO in well over a year.

Pretty much since the stf's moved into the queue's...

Not sure what they could do to improve it, as it is pretty much obsolete now.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• hawke89305092hawke89305092 Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It would be nice to see the ship you fight alongside in Hive (I forget the name) in the battle group. It seems like it would fit right in there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • enkemenenkemen Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    You know, it's funny -- just yesterday, I noticed that the sector-map model for Battle Group Omega still has the Jupiter-class starship floating in space...
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Regarding DS9, I find it's still my central hangout as a DOFFer. Since for the most part you get the prime pick of DOFF assignments in Beta Ursae, it makes sense to use DS9 as a main base and trade hub, That and I find its layout more convenient than ESD.

Close proximity to the fleet dilithium mines and the Vlugta mines also argues in its favor.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • jtmarshjtmarsh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    One thing I have learned about STO is they don't usually look back... Once finished its finished;)

Better Interiors? DS9 pack & TOS "was said more would come never did"
    Things to do in your ship like games! Was said it was "being looked into" never happened
    Fleet Bases all signs point to being done when they hit T5 or T3. No new mods or specials after.
    Rank Increase almost everyone that has posted that has or do worked for cryptic has said this will happen.. How many years now?
    Featured Episodes! New one coming out!! YES!! But was that not said to be 3x or 4 a year??
    Sol System! Mars and such! I heard this also from Cryptic.
    Episodes revamp! They did it!! on Like 2. Said it was going to be on more! Well?

Again grand plans they have! Grand plans they bring to this game! But looking back for a redo... "usually don't happen"

Still Love The Game!!
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I love that map as a ship lover, it has some of the most unique non-class ship names in the game
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited October 2013
    eulifdavis wrote: »
    There has never been such in the game. We did at one point have Marks of Valor, though. ;)

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/valour

British spelling you silly sod. :D
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • kharonsoremankharonsoreman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013

But the map needs some work on. Here are my issues with it.

So, what are your 2 ec's about this subject? Discuss.

I can fill you in on one thing, if you read the message that pop up, which if you read deep enough to discover mentions of old marks I don't understand how you missed the battle group was set up by Starfleet, for Starfleet and the Klingons came along uninvited, it would make no sense whatsoever to move the gate. Now what would have made more sense is the KDF to have put their own gate there, but you know.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    A wolf remains a wolf, even if it has not eaten your sheep.
    edited October 2013
    I can fill you in on one thing, if you read the message that pop up, which if you read deep enough to discover mentions of old marks I don't understand how you missed the battle group was set up by Starfleet, for Starfleet and the Klingons came along uninvited, it would make no sense whatsoever to move the gate. Now what would have made more sense is the KDF to have put their own gate there, but you know.

Thanks for claring that up. A KDF gate would work as well.

So, anybody else has some imput?
  • victorstellavictorstella Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I get the impression that this sector block was supposed to be a Borg beachhead but Cryptic put Defera in another sector block, put the STF's in queues, there's just no reason to go there. If it is to gain relevance again, they'll need to add some daily missions there or make some new missions for the Borg Collective episode. I'd prefer new missions because the preceding episodes had around a dozen missions, but by the time you get to the Borg, you get a measly four missions.
  • timezargtimezarg Member Posts: 1,268
    edited October 2013
    I get the impression that this sector block was supposed to be a Borg beachhead but Cryptic put Defera in another sector block, put the STF's in queues, there's just no reason to go there. If it is to gain relevance again, they'll need to add some daily missions there or make some new missions for the Borg Collective episode. I'd prefer new missions because the preceding episodes had around a dozen missions, but by the time you get to the Borg, you get a measly four missions.

Yeah, only reason I ever go there is to either go to B'Tran or to do the 'Defeat the Borg in the Gamma Orionis Sector Block' mission with the floating enemy encounters in the block.
    tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Same here, I only go through GO to get to B'Tran.

Considering it's where the Gorn are located (Cestus system, TOS "Arena") and Wrath of Khan took place (Mutara Nebula), you'd think they could do something with the area...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Meh, this map is barley used doubt cryptic will do anything with it.

But if they were to update it, I would like it to be like the Romulan flotilla, where we beam to the victory, and can see some of the ships out in the window, and use banks and stuff inside.

That will only just make dreadnought cruiser captains everywhere whinge for such functions on their own ships! Don't make that mistake!

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Why a change? I only go there for the few Borg story parts so I can do the rest of the episodes. After that I don't go back there again. Heck they don't even have a vendor. So I kept calling my own Freighter to handle my needs. Once again making that part useless. Cause then I used it for my bank, mail, and exchange. Due to lack of stuff to do there as well, and nothing to bother with. To me its a wasted space, to rush through quickly as possible.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
    edited October 2013
    The problem most encountered so far in this thread is that Gamma Orionis itself is pretty useless. I have to agree.

Maybe its time to add some new missions to Gamma Orionis? Maybe a "Patrol Gamma Orionis Sector Block" for 60 Omega Marks (75 during event)? Some new missions in the Borg campaign?

A lack of vendors in this map could be one of the problems finished off during an update. Some ships selling components. A repair guy (for when you fly your ship apart in Hive Onslaught) could also be a nice add-on.
  • redsnake721redsnake721 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    eulifdavis wrote: »

really??? People like you need a smack.
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Love the idea of a patrol Gamma Orionis mission, though I doubt that it would happen at least for 60-75 marks like Tau Dewa as the devs have been pretty clear about that high number mark missions being restricted to STFs.

I haven't gone to BGO since they removed dilithium from B'Tran exploration. Now that I'm thinking about it, it may be good to stop by since it's a nice hub in the middle of Sirius.
    That would be a huge battle. A couple of Unimatrix Command ships at the end like Into the Hive, very nice.

Phaser Lance should get a [Borg] bonus proc. Just sayin.
    That would be interesting. It could be something like the events on Nimbus III, only at Battle Group Omega. That would certainly attracts some attention from players. I think "Transwarp to Battle Group Omega" should be added to Tier I Omega Force Reputation.
    Agreed.
    khayuung wrote: »
    That will only just make dreadnought cruiser captains everywhere whinge for such functions on their own ships! Don't make that mistake!

Not so fast. A unique 25th century style Galaxy class interior could be a big seller and a bonus for all of those that have a G-X. Something based heavily on the All Good Things interior upgrade, but with all the love and care that goes with the Romulan ship interior. Cryptic has already said they're going to revamp FEd side to bring it in line with the new Legacy of Romulus content and new interiors were on the agenda for that. Battlegroup Omega stuff could be on their Radar. If they don't want to add it to al Galaxy X owners automatically, then perhaps offer them a discount versus people who want to by the interior outright.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"