test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

RedShirt Release Notes

Comments

• aquitaine985aquitaine985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm sorry Bort but if you can do it with three dozen maps that all have sifferent spawns, diffent objectives against different enemies that were made over the last three years...

Then you can do it for our maps too.

We already get AFKers in the queues, telling us to forget a cut until it gets infected so it's worth your time is not practical and looks bad. Sp please take the time and make it happen for crying out loud.

If our old maps dont like the new code, then how about some new ones instead? Hell, we'll build them for you via foundry, we'll playtest them as long as you want and we'll work with you as long as it's needed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Aquitaine985
    Lag Industries STO PvP Fleet - Executive
    A Sad Panda of Industrial calibre.
    2010: This is Cryptic PvP. Please hold the line, your call is very important to us...
  • ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    If it becomes a bigger issue now that AFK'ers won't be earning rewards in PvE queues (that they start flooding PvP queues looking for easy daily mission completion) please let us know.

This will only exasperate an already present issue.

There is at least one global chat channel dedicated specifically to AFK PvP farming for dilithium.
  • razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,187 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Since STO is my first MMO that I have played, I am not too familiar with how other games have dealt with AFKers. However, I have played console games almost all of my life. If there is a team vote to kick another player, there have been times where, just to be mean, a player that was not a member of the premade team got voted out, or kicked by the one hosting, after most if not all of the work was done.

I would like to be able to kick AFKers from the group, however I can also see where there would need to be a time limit after the mission starts to do it in. During that time, if they are not doing anything, they can be voted out. However, after that point, it will rely on weather they are attacking or not. And if they go into cloak, and just sit there, they get nothing.

I too have been in an STF, and had the phone ring, someone at the door, or had an emergency restroom situation happen. If I am pugging, or in a premade team, I have no problem with getting kicked so that someone else can come in to take my place, and be able to help everyone. It is just a game. Besides, the STFs are so short, and don't take too long to run.

There is one problem that I do see with a 2 hour penalty though. I have been kicked from the server before in an STF, and when I tried to sign back in, it didn't put me back in the group, or the STF. I was where I was before the mission was queued, and I had a 1 hour penalty. If there is a re-queuing penalty for an automated system, there should be some way to at least get it corrected if the game messes up on you.

Maybe have an option for others that were in the mission to vote for no timed penalty for that person, if they had no control over the situation. Or, make it where it will give the penalty if they are AFK for a set amount of times in a time limit. For example, AFK 2 or 3 times in a 30mins to 1 hour period. Then give them a timed penalty before they can queue.

These are just some ideas I had on it. Like I said before, this is my first MMO, so I am not really sure if anything like this can be done, or would create it's own problems.

Tim.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • milanvoriusmilanvorius Member Posts: 641 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    We're open to the idea of adding this same penalty to PvP maps, but unfortunately it's not as easy as just using the same metrics & code for those queues. We'd have to create new criteria that would apply to a PvP scenario, and a new method of enforcing them.

So, not in the short term. But it's not out of the question.

If it becomes a bigger issue now that AFK'ers won't be earning rewards in PvE queues (that they start flooding PvP queues looking for easy daily mission completion) please let us know.

It would be easy for the most grievous, no damage, no heals (i have seen double goose eggs a the end of a match) then they get a 6 month ban from pvp account wide.
    PvE Jem'Hadar motto: Participation Ribbons are life.
    edited October 2013
    razar2380 wrote: »
    Since STO is my first MMO that I have played, I am not too familiar with how other games have dealt with AFKers. However, I have played console games almost all of my life. If there is a team vote to kick another player, there have been times where, just to be mean, a player that was not a member of the premade team got voted out, or kicked by the one hosting, after most if not all of the work was done.

I would like to be able to kick AFKers from the group, however I can also see where there would need to be a time limit after the mission starts to do it in. During that time, if they are not doing anything, they can be voted out. However, after that point, it will rely on weather they are attacking or not. And if they go into cloak, and just sit there, they get nothing.

I too have been in an STF, and had the phone ring, someone at the door, or had an emergency restroom situation happen. If I am pugging, or in a premade team, I have no problem with getting kicked so that someone else can come in to take my place, and be able to help everyone. It is just a game. Besides, the STFs are so short, and don't take too long to run.

There is one problem that I do see with a 2 hour penalty though. I have been kicked from the server before in an STF, and when I tried to sign back in, it didn't put me back in the group, or the STF. I was where I was before the mission was queued, and I had a 1 hour penalty. If there is a re-queuing penalty for an automated system, there should be some way to at least get it corrected if the game messes up on you.

Maybe have an option for others that were in the mission to vote for no timed penalty for that person, if they had no control over the situation. Or, make it where it will give the penalty if they are AFK for a set amount of times in a time limit. For example, AFK 2 or 3 times in a 30mins to 1 hour period. Then give them a timed penalty before they can queue.

These are just some ideas I had on it. Like I said before, this is my first MMO, so I am not really sure if anything like this can be done, or would create it's own problems.

Tim.

One problem to team kicking and such is the grieving that happens. Once I was the fifth person on a fleet group of four. They kicked me toward the end of the mission and I got nothing from it. If they can't enforce afkers they can't enforce antigrief policies.
    edited October 2013
    This will only exasperate an already present issue.

There is at least one global chat channel dedicated specifically to AFK PvP farming for dilithium.

The typcial response for my fleet if we are in a pug match and someone is afk we leave and get a new match. We aren't playing for dilithium and it is easy enough to just swap toons and get back in q's.

Really AFK is very ineffective for dilithium farming in pvp. THey are faster and more annoying by running without shields and just die all the time, if they are active and dying they end the match sooner. This is the more problematic circumstance imo.
  • xtremenoob1xtremenoob1 Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It doesn't matter anymore. Queuing for PVP rears nothing. It's not a challenge against the afk/farmers. Most the f2p pvp fleets QQ when they lose. They run smear campaigns against the older players that they can't beat. Everyone that beats them is botting/cheating/exploiting.

The game lacks any real challenge anymore because the player base doesn't have the dedication anymore. So really why should the devs bother improving PVP when all these f2p newb players don't even take time to ask questions when they lose? Even some of the older players QQ all day and night about baseless garage.

If you want to pew and have fun join TD. The rest of PVP is just boring. Too many crybabies.
    -X-/Pandas - Pheo
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • alax2011alax2011 Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    You could also go the team vote route... where 4 votes from your team mates gets you removed from the map.
    I can see it now, you get a team member on your team that you all just don't like for any old reason, and you all spam the kick button, new way of greefing
  • canis36canis36 Member Posts: 737 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    We're open to the idea of adding this same penalty to PvP maps, but unfortunately it's not as easy as just using the same metrics & code for those queues. We'd have to create new criteria that would apply to a PvP scenario, and a new method of enforcing them.

Is it posted anywhere what criteria you are using for determining who is an AFKer? If it isn't would you or another dev be averse to sharing?
  • panserbjorne39panserbjorne39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Borticus, wouldn't it be much better to be more proactive about this and not just reactive? As people have mentioned in this thread, there already are dil farmers/suiciders in the public PvP queues.
    edited October 2013
    canis36 wrote: »
    Is it posted anywhere what criteria you are using for determining who is an AFKer? If it isn't would you or another dev be averse to sharing?

They don't want to share so that people can't take advantage of knowing the criteria. I get the feeling that it will be determined in testing. i am half tempted to try to figure it out myself. I imagine posting here is a problem, but it won't stop it from being in other forums.

I do wonder how many "afker"s are doing doff missions and email management so they are actually aroud, just doing other things?
  • maicake716maicake716 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    deokkent wrote: »
    Lol I totally see what you mean now. In case you don't remember I'm talking about the epte convo we had the other day.

lol well thats something i suppose....
    mancom wrote: »
    Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
    Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
    Do you even Science Bro?
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Also what about life stuff, like needing to run a bio real quick during an STF or needing to answer the phone/door, all stuff that has happened. I tend to prioritize life over the game and I want to make sure I'm not going to be harshly punished for...well having a life.

What about it? You can AFK out and get the normal penalty, or stay in and risk getting the AFK penalty which is no reward and a 2 hour block from the event. If you actually are real quick it probably won't matter.

Real life is important, but so is personal responsibility.
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Borticus, wouldn't it be much better to be more proactive about this and not just reactive? As people have mentioned in this thread, there already are dil farmers/suiciders in the public PvP queues.

Being pro-active sometimes can make the problem worse, and then encourage these simple AFKers to start finding/making better and better bots.

To me the really best way to deal with AFKers and a litany of other disruptive players would to be to have the system restricted from teaming us with players on our ignore lists. Then over time events would fill up with all AFK teams.
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Lol, this is like hearing the foundry guys complain that people do grinders. Besides, sometimes you can tell after the first 30 seconds whether the match is worth playing seriously or if its suicide time. "Oh look, most of the other side is from THAT fleet, no point in dragging this out is there, time to take off my shields!" and my personal favorite "hmm, we just lost half the team in 10 seconds, and the other half warped out....welp, guess shields are unnecessary from here on out!"

Suiciding when facing a pointless fight is no less valid than any number of things, ranging from premades to using vent.
  • havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Ok this is disappointing, but not unexpected.

Just for once bort mind answering this question:

There seems to be a massive disconnect between player's and dev regarding pvp maps. Could you explain to us what exactly it is that makes pvp maps so difficult for you guys?
    Not a single new map in three years, no pvp foundry stuff, kerrat only fixed after 3+ years in jesse's free time, SPace assault gone, constant problems with the queues, the freighter sorty wsa never to be seen again after its spawn points where overlapping kind of killing the whole objective of the map.

I mean was Jesse doing nothing else in his free time for three years? Compiling kerrat from a win3.11 version of cryptic's engine? Do you guys need to take a polygraph test truthfully admiring the artistic genius of Miley Cyrus, before the editor unlocks?

Joking aside what is it that makes pvp maps so difficult?
    *totally has an image of Bort and Geko twerking in his head now* shudders
  • eisenw0lfeisenw0lf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013

You don't need to implement a complicated system in PvP, the AFK/farmer problem there is IMO actually very easily solved: Remove all rewards for the losing team. Also have PvP daily missions only finish if a victory was achieved instead of the old 'participate three times in a row' system.

Downside would be of course that KDF/Klingon alligned Romulans don't stand a chance to ever win in Kerrat due to a usually massively overpopulated Fed team.
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    eisenw0lf wrote: »
    You don't need to implement a complicated system in PvP, the AFK/farmer problem there is IMO actually very easily solved: Remove all rewards for the losing team. Also have PvP daily missions only finish if a victory was achieved instead of the old 'participate three times in a row' system.

Downside would be of course that KDF/Klingon alligned Romulans don't stand a chance to ever win in Kerrat due to a usually massively overpopulated Fed team.

Ya but the Klink faction has a few missions feds don't have. Such as Hunt 25 feds earn some D. I would say it would wash out in the end.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • lterlter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    havam wrote: »
    Ok this is disappointing, but not unexpected.

Just for once bort mind answering this question:

There seems to be a massive disconnect between player's and dev regarding pvp maps. Could you explain to us what exactly it is that makes pvp maps so difficult for you guys?
    Not a single new map in three years, no pvp foundry stuff, kerrat only fixed after 3+ years in jesse's free time, SPace assault gone, constant problems with the queues, the freighter sorty wsa never to be seen again after its spawn points where overlapping kind of killing the whole objective of the map.

I mean was Jesse doing nothing else in his free time for three years? Compiling kerrat from a win3.11 version of cryptic's engine? Do you guys need to take a polygraph test truthfully admiring the artistic genius of Miley Cyrus, before the editor unlocks?

Joking aside what is it that makes pvp maps so difficult?
    *totally has an image of Bort and Geko twerking in his head now* shudders

Oioi! Two devs writing today in pvp... Incrediburu!! Geko-sama haiiii, Borticusu-sama haii! Can you please anwer our friend's Hava-san for us? And when we have gonna get a big-bang-pew expansion in the game? Arigatouuuu-!
  • xtremenoob1xtremenoob1 Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Ya but the Klink faction has a few missions feds don't have. Such as Hunt 25 feds earn some D. I would say it would wash out in the end.

Yeah but we need pops too so they take far more time to complete like our PVP missions.
    -X-/Pandas - Pheo
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2013
    Yeah but we need pops too so they take far more time to complete like our PVP missions.

Good point... The klink in me hates to say it Really at this point though I have to wonder if isn't time to just do away with the FvK stuff... and just have a que that mixes everyone.

Really if they add some back end combat log scoring like Hilbert has been doing externaly... They could use it to turn the Ques into a always on TD Style que that would create teams based on skill level, mixing the teams with Feds and Klinks. (they could even end the practice of quing as a team... allow team quing but just bring people into the same match... not the same side unless that's the way the balance math works out.)

If they where smart... they would do a feature series of PvE missions explaining the end of the Federation Klingon "war", I mean come on its been over a long time. Every space station is crawling with both factions. Nice that all those klinks at war don't start slicing up silly feds on DS9 Drazona ect. A common enemy like the iconians and boom easy peasy.

If we feel like role playing Klingons Vs Feds... we can always challange menu it out.

It pains me but I think its the only way to really set the game right at this point. Make Kerrat operate like nvak where you get randomly thrown on a side when you enter. (I think Kerrat would be more fun that way anyway)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • canis36canis36 Member Posts: 737 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    They don't want to share so that people can't take advantage of knowing the criteria. I get the feeling that it will be determined in testing. i am half tempted to try to figure it out myself. I imagine posting here is a problem, but it won't stop it from being in other forums.

I do wonder how many "afker"s are doing doff missions and email management so they are actually aroud, just doing other things?

You're probably right, but I'm worried it's going to hit people who have legitimate reasons to get up mid-match such as somebody ringing the doorbell/knocking on the door, answering the phone, or other IRL things that can take them away from the computer unexpectedly and take an amount of time unknown to the player at the moment they get up. I mean what happens if somebody has to get up to answer the door and it takes them fifteen minutes to get the person to go away and they come back to find they've been slapped with a two hour lockout for something that really wasn't their fault? I know that'd almost be enough to turn me off of the game if I hadn't already invested a lot more money in it than I'm comfortable thinking about.
  • aquitaine985aquitaine985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    canis36 wrote: »
    You're probably right, but I'm worried it's going to hit people who have legitimate reasons to get up mid-match such as somebody ringing the doorbell/knocking on the door, answering the phone, or other IRL things that can take them away from the computer unexpectedly and take an amount of time unknown to the player at the moment they get up. I mean what happens if somebody has to get up to answer the door and it takes them fifteen minutes to get the person to go away and they come back to find they've been slapped with a two hour lockout for something that really wasn't their fault? I know that'd almost be enough to turn me off of the game if I hadn't already invested a lot more money in it than I'm comfortable thinking about.

Totally get where your coming from. And between you and me, i rarely have a problem with AFKers, i'm usually with friends. But half the battle these days is keeping PVP here at all. Theres no reason not to have the option, so we should have it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Aquitaine985
    Lag Industries STO PvP Fleet - Executive
    A Sad Panda of Industrial calibre.
    2010: This is Cryptic PvP. Please hold the line, your call is very important to us...
  • captainednacaptainedna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    lol since I pug 99.9% of the time afk is like nerfing my wannabe team aka pug :D
  • masterkeychnk5masterkeychnk5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The PvP system in this game was never supposed to be expandable like the foundry.
    They knew that from the beginning.

The people working over there at Cryptic simply have no clue how to begin to change the code for PvP, whoever created it.

Yet from a visually observing aspect you would say the PvP and PvE queues arent even that different from each other, even if they change stuff in game for PvE it often affects us in PvP too. I clearly rememer when they changed how teaming worked, auto team forced upon us for one. That was afaik NOT a PvP specific change.

We should set up a fundraiser specifically for the devs to get em started on rewriting the PvP code, whos in?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am not Snakie, MT is!
    edited October 2013
    The Cryptic PvP Rewrite kickstarter. lmao
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • masterkeychnk5masterkeychnk5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013

hahaha.

Seriously tho, how did they do it for neverwinter? are there queues in that game? pvp maps. how did they pull it off considering the game engine is pretty much identical?????
    questions that will never be answered im afraid..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am not Snakie, MT is!
  • captainednacaptainedna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Im pretty sure kerbals will get pvp before sto gets any pvp update :/
  • maicake716maicake716 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    hahaha.

Seriously tho, how did they do it for neverwinter? are there queues in that game? pvp maps. how did they pull it off considering the game engine is pretty much identical?????
    questions that will never be answered im afraid..

remember when they dangled that carrot in front of us for a long time? they told us just to wait until their "new tech" came with a new game of theirs....

so yeah..
    mancom wrote: »
    Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
    Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
    Do you even Science Bro?
  • panserbjorne39panserbjorne39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Lol, this is like hearing the foundry guys complain that people do grinders. Besides, sometimes you can tell after the first 30 seconds whether the match is worth playing seriously or if its suicide time. "Oh look, most of the other side is from THAT fleet, no point in dragging this out is there, time to take off my shields!" and my personal favorite "hmm, we just lost half the team in 10 seconds, and the other half warped out....welp, guess shields are unnecessary from here on out!"

Suiciding when facing a pointless fight is no less valid than any number of things, ranging from premades to using vent.

Um, no actually. It's nothing like that. When you run a foundry grind mission you're solo. You don't have a team counting on you. You sound exactly like the type of fake PvP'er that needs to be kicked and or penalized. Hope you never end up on my team.