test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Howmany of you prefer Nemesis and Insurrection to First Contact?

rustiswordzrustiswordz Member Posts: 824 Arc User
edited September 2013 in Ten Forward
I'll probably get burned alive for this.

First Contact had a really promising start, great opening score, space battle, tension building. Then as soon as they go through the temporal rift. Film grinds to a halt and stays there all the rest of the movie. I just could not get into it.

I just prefer Nemesis and Insurrection, yeah they were a bit silly to the more serious First Contact but I just love them more. I thought the characters were better, visuals were better more 'fun'. First Contact for me plodded after the start, characters were boring, it was just the Enterprise crew being chased by Doctor who Cybermen, the Borg Queen trying to get Data off and Riker chasing a drunk chasing Troi.

How many out there feel the same as I do? :)
Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo... :D
Post edited by rustiswordz on

Comments

• tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited September 2013
    FC > Nemesis > Insurrection
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Alas for as correct as you are, first contact had more steam in its start than the other 2 had in there entirety..
  • cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I liked all three of them for various different reasons.

it's so predictably 'trekkie' to classify by which one you hate the most or least ....
    First Contact and Insurrection were good.

but they messed up Nemesis with the bs happy end story line, it was the wrong way to go,

a strong romulus and remus alliance story line with a fed need to pull back in the end could have started a new long cold war and we would have had a 5 to 10 season show.

now first JJ was good and second one was good too, but the why the hell didnt they start new show from the first one, they are waesting idea with the 90 min movie instaed of a 24 episodes 45 min long show with a open door for many season to come

now to you all JJ haters, the TOS was good, but with all we can do today it could blow our mind IF done right

TOS/Babylon wirters did very good job with what they had at the times and ds9 was very good , now voyager and TNG was good but with few episodes well I anyway jump over some of them.

now Enterprise was good idea but got derailed.

but the few Mirror Universe episodes over the year had open my narrow minded view. so at the start of JJ The Future Begins there was no shock, non-like when I saw this for the first time
  • rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »

I'm with Tacofangs on this. First Contact was excellent, and it actually had a movie worthy story, in my opinion. I don't mind Nemesis, it's got some good stuff. I remember the biggest draw for it it had going was Dina Meyer as a Romulan. Insurrection to me felt like little more than a lost two part episode, something that could have been a midseason cliffhanger.
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited September 2013
    I rank First Contact as second only to Wrath of Khan. But that's not to say I hate the other two. I might be a rare Trekkie in that I at least like all of the movies and television episodes, even if I don't love all of them.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • blastenblaster1blastenblaster1 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Nemesis is my fave. Tho the story is "evil twiny" it had the most ship on ship action which I've always felt was the most important aspect of of trek
  • fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited September 2013

Yep, I think so, too.
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 6,007 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    FC,Nemesis, Insurrection then generations
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
      edited September 2013

This is my order as well, but I didn't find Nemesis as horrible as everybody else did, either.

Insurrection.... Yeah I didn't like that one...
      I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
      kimmym_5664.jpg
      Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
    • kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
      edited September 2013
      TNG series > TNG movies
      The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
    • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
      edited September 2013
      I actually like a fair bit of Nemesis. Shinzon was a terrible villain. But there was some cool space battles, and the overall plot was interesting at least.

Insurrection was terrible and forgettable. The Ba'ku were worthless, and it was not at all clear why the enterprise was working so hard to save them. It seemed more like Frakes' excuse to do a bathtub scene with Sirtis. I barely even remember the skin graft enemy dudes.

I will say, Data going haywire was a great start to Insurrection.
      Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
      19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
    • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
      edited September 2013
      Star Trek: First Contact is a masterpiece. It is, in my eyes, the hands down best Star Trek movie; and I really have trouble accept any argument that positions it lower than about 2nd behind only TWoK. It is a complete story, it has impressive directing, it has clean but stunning visual effects, it contains Patrick Stewart's best performance as Captain Picard, and it plays with Star Trek lore in a way which is consistent, fun, and groundbreaking.

Insurrection was a solid 'middle of the pack' Trek movie. I really do like it quite a lot, and I think it's a shame that more fans don't get into it. It's got some really fun elements, a good core theme throughout, a chance for Picard and crew to stand true with that strong moral backbone that makes Star Trek so important, and it's got an enemy that is compelling and multidimensional. It would've made an excellent two part episode of Trek, but it does lack some of that 'big screen' magic that First Contact had. All in all, it's very underrated.

Nemesis was a travesty. It was recycled, the enemy was unimportant and uninteresting, the whole 'clone Picard' angle was trite and without any depth, it swept too many key characters into worthless background roles, many aspects of the story were ill considered. And I shouldn't have to say this- but THERE ARE NO BOTTOMLESS PITS ON THE ENTERPRISE!! This isn't Star Wars! Nemesis' biggest problem was that Jonathan Frakes didn't direct, but considering that he didn't, you'd think they could've found a more central role for Picard's Number One... but again, he was shuffled into the background quite a bit. The end of Nemesis was again, recycled as most of the movie was from TWoK, and left me saddened and angered that this was the sendoff for the most important ensemble cast in my life. Just sucks. I hate Nemesis.
    • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
      edited September 2013
      On the one hand, Nemesis had way too many plot holes (Transporters are down? What about the shuttles, you imbeciles?) and stupid **** like Shinzon mind-TRIBBLE Troi for no apparent reason. On the other hand, apart from ST '09 (haven't seen Into Darkness yet) it's about the only piece of the Trek IP that seems to understand the concept of 3D combat. The Bassen Rift fight is one of the better-choreographed space battles in the franchise.

By contrast, First Contact turned the Borg into caricatures of their former selves (suddenly they're space vampires, and they don't even try to handwave how Picard suddenly out of nowhere knows exactly what to shoot at to destroy the cube), time travel is an automatic black mark, and I prefer the portrayal of Zefram Cochrane from the Reeves-Stevenses' novel Federation, which this movie jossed a good third of.
      "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
      — Sabaton, "Great War"
      VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
      edited September 2013
      Didn't like First Contact (though I know how much that puts me in the minority). It went all grimdark in a way so very much at odds with the rest of TNG. It started the Borg down the path that ruined them, going from otherworldly alien and eerie to card-carrying Evil. And the characters just weren't behaving in character, following Picard even when he was clearly losing it (even Dr Crusher, who's the last person I'd expect that from). Heck there was a TNG episode where aliens replaced Picard and he was giving suicidal orders, and the crew said 'no, we are not going to just obey when clearly something is wrong with you.' Add in fanboy LaForge and drunk Troi, and I just can't stand it. Maybe if it were an independent crew in the Trek universe, but its so not TNG.

And yet even as much as those horrid characterizations annoy me, its still better than Insurrection.
    • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
      edited September 2013
      Nemesis kinda got it because when they tried going back to a less action based movie like the TNG series was it didn't pan out well being it would have been a better option if they brought it back for another season. As for the movie it didn't pan out so well people wanted the action you got from DS9 and to another extent voyager.
    • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
      edited September 2013
      Nemesis had Picard doing things that were completely out of character and a villain who couldn't stick to his own plan for more than a few minutes at a time. It's pretty terrible overall.

I like watching Plinkett's reviews tear the TNG movies new ones. Even First Contact isn't spared.
    • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
      edited September 2013
      For those TNG movies. First Contact is considered my favorite of those 3 you listed. Good story mixed with some action, and some funny lines.

Insurrection would be my 2nd. As it had a great story line. And showed the moral side of Federation. Where there was a reason to help them out and discover the bad side. Action wise was just as good as it blended a nice mix as well.

Last would be Nemesis. The story was kinda lacking and some of it seemed off. Good idea for a story plot. Just acted like it couldn't get a good start. However action wise it was good, plenty of that. Just hoped they would done another movie to show the outcome of that one. And from DS9 or Voyager crew. Instead we get a reboot of garbage.
      Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
      Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
    • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited September 2013
      All of them were kind of terrible, but I'll give props to INS for at least trying to tackle a moral issue. FC is of course the most watchable. NEM was like the nail in the coffin. Sure, some neat moments, but so many dumb plot holes and junk. None of it made any sense, except if you think in terms of "Hey, let's have an exciting buggy race!" and "How can we somehow rip off the WoK in a way that makes no sense?"
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
      edited September 2013
      Of those 3, I'd actually rate FC lowest.

Why? the plot bored the crud out of me. We're fighting the Borg for the 7 millionth time.... Starfleet inexplicably decides to keep the guy who is best at it away from the battle, then the admiral who made that stupid decision gets KIA. Picard shows up to save the day and wastes the Borg cube in minutes. Except the Borg had a backup plan and chaos ensues... It had a lot of good moments(like the Borg Queen), but overall the plot was kinda tired and over used.

To me, Nemesis and Insurrection had much better plot concepts. Sure they each had bad moments, but the basic ideas to the stories were better IMO.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    • stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
      edited September 2013
      starswordc wrote: »
      By contrast, First Contact turned the Borg into caricatures of their former selves (suddenly they're space vampires, and they don't even try to handwave how Picard suddenly out of nowhere knows exactly what to shoot at to destroy the cube),
      They didn't handwave anything. There are two interpretations for that scene:

1) Data is a moron, and that target WAS a vital system (perhaps it's where the borg store all their dynamite?), and Picard knows this because he's psychic/leftover information from being assimilated/a wizard did it :V

Or the far more plausible interpretation:

2) The target doesn't matter, what matters is that the entire fleet masses their firepower on one spot in a 'time on target' style attack to defeat the borg's shields. Concentrated firepower>dispersed firepower. You do more effective damage that way.

Given these two competing interpretations (they can't BOTH be right), which do you think is more reasonable? That Data is an idiot and wrong and Picard somehow knows that the target has some special vulernability? Or that for the first time ever, someone in charge of a Fleet came up with the rather obvious idea of time-on-targeting the entire fleet's arsenal on one spot? Especially since we have some idea of how Wolf 359 was fought thanks to the opening scene of 'Emissary' where we see phasers fire all over the place and a Fleet of ~40 starships only having small ones and twos groupings of starships approach the cube? (where were the other ~36 starships that Adm. Hanson was commanding? What the hell were they doing?)

Bear in mind that raw power does defeat Borg frequency adaptation, with numerous canon examples of this, and interpretation #2 becomes even more compelling.
    • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
      edited September 2013
      I like insurrection and nemesis but first contact is miles better.

Of those 3, I'd actually rate FC lowest.

Why? the plot bored the crud out of me. We're fighting the Borg for the 7 millionth time.... Starfleet inexplicably decides to keep the guy who is best at it away from the battle, then the admiral who made that stupid decision gets KIA. Picard shows up to save the day and wastes the Borg cube in minutes. Except the Borg had a backup plan and chaos ensues... It had a lot of good moments(like the Borg Queen), but overall the plot was kinda tired and over used.

At that stage we only had the next gen episodes. This was about the 5th encounter with the borg at this stage. The initial ep, best of both worlds, a single drone in hugh and the disconnected ones in decent. Hardly over kill at that time with only a couple of them being proper encounters. They were the natural choice of villains for the films at that time. If anything Voyager was more at fault for over using them.

their reasons were hardly inexplicable either. He (not through choice) killed 11'000 people and destroyed 39 of their ships. they know next to nothing about borg tech and their capabilities. he could in their eyes have very easily turned up and begun acting strangly. hindsight is a wonderful thing but before you know whats going to happen he could have been as big of a threat as a help.
    • narek15narek15 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
      edited September 2013
      I honestly think First contact and Insurrection are better than Nemesis.

Star Trek in it's essence is truly about exploration, human soul, friendship, morality, not so much about fighting. Problem is people have changed over time, and now people value fighting in movies more than they do all these important moral features. First contact and Insurrection had much more of that. In FC Picard had to deal with his inner conflict with the Borg, having to overcome what happened to him, and he had to be willing to even destroy his ship. In Insurrection we saw how much the crew valued their Captain, and that they would even go against their orders to do the right thing. It had morality in it, and the crew feeling pity on the locals of the Ba'Ku village. In Nemesis all it was was an action flick. All there was to it was just fighting (not including of course Data's sacrifice and Picard trying to understand his twin). Most of the movie purely concentrated on fighting, and nothing else at all. Another great movie previously was the Undiscovered Country.
      Captain Narek of the USS Atlantis

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      edited September 2013
      stofsk wrote: »

1) Data is a moron, and that target WAS a vital system (perhaps it's where the borg store all their dynamite?), and Picard knows this because he's psychic/leftover information from being assimilated/a wizard did it :V
      My take was that Data simply didn't know what it was. Picard had first hand knowledge of what Borg tech does, even if he doesn't remember everything. Data's knowledge is limited to scanning things made from Borg Tech.
      At that stage we only had the next gen episodes. This was about the 5th encounter with the borg at this stage. The initial ep, best of both worlds, a single drone in hugh and the disconnected ones in decent. Hardly over kill at that time with only a couple of them being proper encounters. They were the natural choice of villains for the films at that time. If anything Voyager was more at fault for over using them.

their reasons were hardly inexplicable either. He (not through choice) killed 11'000 people and destroyed 39 of their ships. they know next to nothing about borg tech and their capabilities. he could in their eyes have very easily turned up and begun acting strangly. hindsight is a wonderful thing but before you know whats going to happen he could have been as big of a threat as a help.
      Even so, Picard had proven himself to be a valuable asset in pevious battles against the Borg.

What did I like about Insurrection and Nemesis?

Well, Insurrection was a very big morality tale. One thing I've heard about it several times was that it felt like it could have easily been a 2-3 part episode instead of a movie. I can easily understand that. The crux of the story is in determining who owns the Briar Patch and the resources therein. Dougherty, and apparently others in the Federation, claim it as Federation territory. But, the truth is that the Baku territorial claim supercedes that of the Federation. Dougherty even admitted that after Picard confronted him about it. That aspect of it is what made it such a compelling story for me.

Nemesis was cool primarily because of the way it looked at Romulan politics from the inside. That was awesome and something we hadn't gotten to see before. I have to admit that the "human clone stages a military coup" angle was kinda weird, but it worked reasonably well IMO.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
    • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
      edited September 2013
      stofsk wrote: »

Or the far more plausible interpretation:

2) The target doesn't matter, what matters is that the entire fleet masses their firepower on one spot in a 'time on target' style attack to defeat the borg's shields. Concentrated firepower>dispersed firepower. You do more effective damage that way.

It was a vulnerable point on the Cube and Data's still a genius. Data was looking at the ship's sensors. Picard was eavesdropping on the Collective.

Data didn't say that wasn't a vital system. He said that did not appear to be a vital system. And he knew that a Borg Cube was generally decentralized and massively redundant, meaning it shouldn't have any easily exploitable weaknesses. But obviously there can be weaknesses, in a ship that already has battle damage and who knows what else going on.
    • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
      edited September 2013
      I had Insurrection ranked as the worst Trek film, until Nemesis came along. Course, I had First Contact as the worst until Insurrection came along.

While they all had their moments, all in all they just didn't cut it.
    • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
      edited September 2013
      No. Insurrection is down with Final Frontier at the bottom. Nemesis isn't all bed but not even in the same league as First Contact.
      22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
      Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
      JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
      'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
      'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
      '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
      'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
      '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
      edited September 2013
      My take was that Data simply didn't know what it was. Picard had first hand knowledge of what Borg tech does, even if he doesn't remember everything. Data's knowledge is limited to scanning things made from Borg Tech.Even so, Picard had proven himself to be a valuable asset in pevious battles against the Borg.
      So Data's an idiot.

Sorry, that's what it boils down to. 'Picard had first hand knowledge'. So does Data, as he's been on away teams in Borg cubes as well. Besides which, Picard had first hand knowledge of one Borg cube, not that particular one. Are all cubes identical? 'Data's knowledge is limited to scanning *snip*' Yeah, but so what? Their scans are the point I'm making here - he says that it doesn't appear to be a vital system. That's actually not at all surprising, since the Borg have decentralised designs. It wouldn't make sense that there's this one spot on all cubes where if you fire on it they blow up.
      It was a vulnerable point on the Cube and Data's still a genius. Data was looking at the ship's sensors.
      Data's an idiot then. There's no ifs or buts about it. You can't have it both ways.
      Picard was eavesdropping on the Collective.
      Yes but he doesn't communicate that information to Data in response. If that spot was vital because he heard it via the psychic link, then he could have replied with that information to Data. But if that were the case, Data was still wrong, because it WAS a vital system.

Instead Picard replies 'Trust me, Data.'
      Data didn't say that wasn't a vital system. He said that did not appear to be a vital system.
      Uh, the distinction you're making between both sentences is irrelevant. Seriously this is semantic nitpicking. The gist of what he was saying is that the target Picard selected wasn't any kind of obvious 'SHOOT ME' target.
      And he knew that a Borg Cube was generally decentralized and massively redundant, meaning it shouldn't have any easily exploitable weaknesses. But obviously there can be weaknesses, in a ship that already has battle damage and who knows what else going on.
      You guys are overcomplicating this example. Data said the spot didn't appear to be a vital system, and yet the fleet's combined firepower broke through the Borg shielding and blew it up. Either he's wrong, and it WAS a vital system, or he was RIGHT, and it WASN'T a vital system, and the borg blew up for another reason.

That fact that you brought up the Borg design philosophy of decentralisation just arms my case for me. If cubes and so on truly are decentralised, then there shouldn't be a vital system at all. Certainly not on the surface of a cube, if anything the vital systems should be buried deep within the superstructure. In 'BOBW' they estimate something like three quarters of a cube could be severely damaged and yet still be functional.

Besides which, what kind of vital system could it possibly be anyway? It can't be the warp core, since that's buried deep within the Borg cube's superstructure. Ammo dump? Is that spot where the Borg keep all their dynamite? No seriously - I'm not being facetious. If it's a vital system then there must be some vital function it fulfils. What function can that system be that if it were fired upon would result in catastrophic destruction of the entire ship? The only thing I can think of is an ammo dump. But if this is so, they're pretty stupid - any target that close to the surface is just asking for trouble. And if it were an ammo dump, then it really should be apparent from sensors. But that doesn't jive with the whole 'decentralised ship design' thing the Borg have got going, and the previous example from 'BOBW' where they said three quarters or thereabouts of a cube could be damaged and the ship wouldn't lose functionality.

And really my final point is that this was in response to someone who believed that Picard gleaned tactical information from the Borg via eavesdropping on them, which he accused the writers of handwaving that psychic link away without any explanation. You guys seem quite keen to accept that psychic link without question. My whole point is you can interpret that scene one of two ways, and the way you guys have chosen to interpret it means that Data is a moron, and Picard has psychic powers which the writers handwaved away. Or the Fleet's combined firepower is enough to penetrate the borg shields and thus it blew up. This interpretation means that Data isn't a moron, Picard's psychic link to the Collective wasn't a factor in the cube's destruction, the writers didn't handwave away anything and it is also consistent with other examples where the borg are defeated by raw firepower rather than deus ex machina plot devices.

I don't even understand how this is so controversial. All Picard did was call a time-on-target artillery barrage with the Fleet's firepower. That... actually IS a great and effective military tactic. It's effective for a reason, because combining firepower is far, far more effective than dispersed firepower. There's a reason why the military does this in real life.
      edited September 2013
      So Data's an idiot.
      lol wut? how does lacking a specific peice of information related to an ALIEN ship make him an idiot? He's an android, not Q, he's not supposed to be omniscient.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      edited September 2013
      lol wut? how does lacking a specific peice of information related to an ALIEN ship make him an idiot?
      Dude I went into detail about this in the post you quoted. Did you not read any of it past that single sentence you quoted?
      He's an android, not Q, he's not supposed to be omniscient.
      That's a strawman. I didn't say he had to be omniscient. But if he reports that the scans say that target is non-vital, and it turns out to be vital, then he's wrong. And if he's wrong, it's either because he's an idiot or the Borg somehow hid that this was a vital target from him. And given he was able to scan the cube earlier in the exact same scene and report that it had suffered 'heavy damage', I don't think the latter is a viable interpretation - the scanners were working just fine a moment ago!