test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Howmany of you prefer Nemesis and Insurrection to First Contact?

2»

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    stofsk wrote: »
    Dude I went into detail about this in the post you quoted. Did you not read any of it past that single sentence you quoted?

That's a strawman. I didn't say he had to be omniscient. But if he reports that the scans say that target is non-vital, and it turns out to be vital, then he's wrong. And if he's wrong, it's either because he's an idiot or the Borg somehow hid that this was a vital target from him. And given he was able to scan the cube earlier in the exact same scene and report that it had suffered 'heavy damage', I don't think the latter is a viable interpretation - the scanners were working just fine a moment ago!
    Again... as has been said many times... Data doesn't know everything about Borg tech. Your argument relies on the unstated assumption that if something was vital then Data would know. But, in this case, the technology is NOT something he's familiar with, thus any conclusions Data makes are partially based on guesswork.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Again... as has been said many times... Data doesn't know everything about Borg tech.
    He knows enough to determine that the Borg cube has sustained heavy damage. How does he know this? By scanning it earlier in the very scene we're talking about!
    Your argument relies on the unstated assumption that if something was vital then Data would know.
    First of all, no it doesn't. My argument relies on the different interpretation that the system wasn't vital AT ALL, and it was the time-on-target that blew up the cube. Second of all, why wouldn't he know? He authoritatively declares that Picard's target didn't appear to be a vital system! I trust him at his word that he knows what would characterise a 'vital' sytem. He says this after having scanned it earlier in the scene and determining the Borg cube had suffered heavy damage. So again, the scanners were working just fine a moment ago when he reported that the cube had suffered heavy damage, but now they're... not working when Picard orders the fleet to time-on-target at a specific coordinate?

Or... Data's an idiot.
    But, in this case, the technology is NOT something he's familiar with,
    This is, quite frankly, wrong. He's familiar with Borg technology because the Enterprise had encountered the borg not once, not twice, but three separate times, prior to this encounter (the third was with Lore's 'liberated' borg). From previous encounters, they had uncovered a wealth of information from scanning and from away team expeditions. Scanning by the way, allowed Data to determine that the borg cube in 'QWho' was decentralised in design:

'The ship is strangely generalized in design. There is no specific bridge or central control area, no specific engineering section-- I can identify no living quarters.'

That's pretty detailed to be 'guesswork'.

EDIT OH HELL, I also forgot Best of Both Worlds part 2, where Data links into the borg collective via Locutus. So there goes that whole 'not familiar with' argument.
    thus any conclusions Data makes are partially based on guesswork.
    Again, simply wrong. Data does not 'guess' - he interprets information that is his speciality to analyse. That's his job. It's part of being an ops officer. If he does not know something, he states that.
    edited September 2013
    stofsk wrote: »
    He knows enough to determine that the Borg cube has sustained heavy damage. How does he know this? By scanning it earlier in the very scene we're talking about!
    Yeah, but... knowing what a conduit DOES is very different than knowing it has a hole in it. Knowing the ship is damage does not require you to know the functions of it's systems, all it requires is for you to know that there are dozens of holes in it's hull.
    This is, quite frankly, wrong. He's familiar with Borg technology because the Enterprise had encountered the borg not once, not twice, but three separate times, prior to this encounter (the third was with Lore's 'liberated' borg). From previous encounters, they had uncovered a wealth of information from scanning and from away team expeditions. Scanning by the way, allowed Data to determine that the borg cube in 'QWho' was decentralised in design:

'The ship is strangely generalized in design. There is no specific bridge or central control area, no specific engineering section-- I can identify no living quarters.'

That's pretty detailed to be 'guesswork'.
    True, but guesswork it is. What you're suggesting would really require Data to have a blueprint of the specific Cube they were fighting. Or at least enough knowledge of Borg tech to simulate one. But if Data had either he could have upgraded the Enterprise to have weapons far more effective agaisnt the Borg than the same cruddy phasers the rest of the fleet used....
    EDIT OH HELL, I also forgot Best of Both Worlds part 2, where Data links into the borg collective via Locutus. So there goes that whole 'not familiar with' argument.
    Not really. He didn't spend his time linked downloading technical schematics for Borg technology, he was focused on the more immediate task of taking out the Cube Locutus used to command.
    Again, simply wrong. Data does not 'guess' - he interprets information that is his speciality to analyse. That's his job. It's part of being an ops officer. If he does not know something, he states that.
    that or he states what he beleives to be true based on the limited information at hand. Which he did. And yes he has been wrong before....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited September 2013
    anyways, I made a list of the specific reasons people have mentioned for why they disliked certain movies, each is tagged with the post number.

Reasons not to like First Contact:
    01: "Then as soon as they go through the temporal rift. Film grinds to a halt and stays there all the rest of the movie."
    16: "First Contact turned the Borg into caricatures of their former selves"
    17: "It went all grimdark in a way so very much at odds with the rest of TNG."

Reasons not to like Nemesis:
    06: "they messed up Nemesis with the bs happy end story line,"
    14: "Shinzon was a terrible villain."
    15: "It was recycled, the enemy was unimportant and uninteresting,"
    16: "Nemesis had way too many plot holes"
    21: "so many dumb plot holes"

Reasons not to like Insurrection:
    07: "Insurrection to me felt like little more than a lost two part episode,"
    14: "The Ba'ku were worthless, and it was not at all clear why the enterprise was working so hard to save them."
    15: "it does lack some of that 'big screen' magic"
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing