test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Star Trek: into Darkness, kirk's women

telbasta7386telbasta7386 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
edited September 2013 in Ten Forward
So I finally got around to renting and watching the second new star trek movie. In one of the early scenes, kirk is shown sleeping with two alien women, and being the xenophile I am I had to go look up what they were.

After no small amount of searching, the only reference I could find claimed that they were Caitian twins. They had tails, sure, and the tails even had fur, but their faces were bare and the second one to get up (in the foreground) had suction cups on her neck, other than that they both looked relatively human.

I understand Caitians have gone through some changes since their first appearance in star trek, but why must hollywood always change things so drastically? These didnt look like the caitians we know at all, the only similarity were the tails. Were they some other species I havent heard about, and the post I read only misinterpreted them as Caitians due to the tails?

Maybe feline outfits cost too much, hollywood botched the Kilrathi in wing commander pretty badly too.
Post edited by telbasta7386 on

Comments

• Options
    lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    What is it with Kirk and alien women anyway? Is he some kind of xenophiliac??? :eek:
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I just dismissed them as half-Caitian. No sense in getting worked up over one scene in an otherwise glorious movie.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Well considering the number of human-like species in... science fiction... it does not seem unreasonable to assume that there would be several cat like species...

I am still looking for the dog-like species though...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Why do you assume they are Caitians???? just because they are cat like race does not mean they are Caitians. Star Trek has a bunch of Lizard type of races, and bunch of Vulcanoid races, and a TRIBBLE load of human looking races, so why do you assume they are Caitians?? :confused:

Is she a Caitian because she has cat ears?
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    oldkirkfanoldkirkfan Member Posts: 1,263 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »

No. Isis isn't Caitian. I don't know what kind of cat she is, but, I want one.

:( My wife said I can't have one, though.
  • Options
    pegasuscicpegasuscic Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    So I finally got around to renting and watching the second new star trek movie. In one of the early scenes, kirk is shown sleeping with two alien women, and being the xenophile I am I had to go look up what they were.

After no small amount of searching, the only reference I could find claimed that they were Caitian twins. They had tails, sure, and the tails even had fur, but their faces were bare and the second one to get up (in the foreground) had suction cups on her neck, other than that they both looked relatively human.

I understand Caitians have gone through some changes since their first appearance in star trek, but why must hollywood always change things so drastically? These didnt look like the caitians we know at all, the only similarity were the tails. Were they some other species I havent heard about, and the post I read only misinterpreted them as Caitians due to the tails?

Maybe feline outfits cost too much, hollywood botched the Kilrathi in wing commander pretty badly too.

I'm thinking someone was simply speculating as to what species they were because of the tails. If you look at the one to Kirks left, she doesn't have cat-like ears. They appear more rounded like human ears, but integrated with her head(for lack of a better term). They are probably just some other Federation member species that we have never seen before. Like that "bronze" colored female bridge crewman who had the echo in her speech. Also as for the Android, wasnt' Data supposedly the first Android starfleet officer/crewman?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people."-Commander William Adama
  • Options
    cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I wonder if Kirk knew that Orion herpes is bio-luminescent before he got involved ....

edited September 2013
    betazoids, bajorans, ocampans, vorta, vulcans. they all look more or less like humans so they must be humans right?

these are just two aliens with tails. they are not caitians.
  • Options
    khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Considering the tail design, I was thinking either Avatar blueskins, or space boar girls (given the tail AND their oversized lower incisors).

Hey, even pigs can be sexy! :p

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • Options
    telbasta7386telbasta7386 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Why do you assume they are Caitians???? just because they are cat like race does not mean they are Caitians. Star Trek has a bunch of Lizard type of races, and bunch of Vulcanoid races, and a TRIBBLE load of human looking races, so why do you assume they are Caitians??

I didnt, I looked up the scene on google in order to find out what race they were, and found a page listing them as caitians - my post here is because they -dont- look like caitians to me, so I'm curious =P
  • Options
    gonjaagonjaa Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    There is nothing wrong with having a different interpretation of a story then a previous set of producers, designers etc..

It's a large part of what makes stories so good. All of us in this thread interpret everything we've ever seen in ST different from each other
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zidanetribalzidanetribal Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Damon Lindelof confirmed in an interview that the two females with Kirk are Caitians, so the only thing we can chalk it up to is artistic license.
  • Options
    trhrangerxmltrhrangerxml Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    LOL at posting a picture of Isis claiming she is Caitian. FYI, in the movie I believe those are Caitian, or new interpretation of them (sorta like the variations we have seen of Andorians and Tellarites in the various movies and TV shows).
    Hi, my name is: Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor

LTS, here since...when did this game launch again? :D