test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

"Legends of the Fall"

drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
edited September 2013 in PvP Gameplay
Hi all,

This is the title for my next Boot Camp Companion Guide.

Its going to be a showcase of the legendary stories of STO PvP.

For all of you that would like to contribute an article, I would be humbled to hear from you.

I hope to hear from you all, as this edition is going to be a bumper edition celebrating the PvP communities past, present and future!

Whatever form your support takes of PvP, I would like to hear from you.

Cheers,
@drkfrontiers
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    scurry5scurry5 Member Posts: 1,554 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Hm.

Not that I don't get the idea behind it, but this kind of topic (people to honor in PvP) tends to turn into flame wars and politics and all other sorts of whatnot. You all sure this is a good idea?
  • Options
    renimaltrenimalt Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    When you say "legends of PvP", what sort of legends do you mean?

...legendary players?
    ...legendary fleets?
    ...legendary builds?
    ...legendary skills?
    ...legendary gear?
    ...legendary bugs?

Some of these might be fun to write about (anybody remember the Jem'Hadar shield bug? the BO + Eng Team bug?) and let people reminisce about the good (and/or bad) old days of PvP. However, I'd share Scurry's concern about this discussion turning into flame wars if you decide to write about people or fleets; even builds, skills, gears, and bugs can be flashpoints given how strongly people can disagree about them.

Still, I'm interested to see what direction you (and the rest of the PvP Boot Camp) team decide to take this in. Good luck with it. :)
    Resist viewer! See shield/hull resists! Read about it here!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    scurry5 wrote: »
    Hm.

Not that I don't get the idea behind it, but this kind of topic (people to honor in PvP) tends to turn into flame wars and politics and all other sorts of whatnot. You all sure this is a good idea?

I hope that it does not. We are all legends in one form or another, so its not grand standing by a few.

If you have insights into something you think is great, a cool story which will add value, or just a memory to reminisce, then please mail me!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    renimalt wrote: »

...legendary players?
    ...legendary fleets?
    ...legendary builds?
    ...legendary skills?
    ...legendary gear?
    ...legendary bugs?

Some of these might be fun to write about (anybody remember the Jem'Hadar shield bug? the BO + Eng Team bug?) and let people reminisce about the good (and/or bad) old days of PvP. However, I'd share Scurry's concern about this discussion turning into flame wars if you decide to write about people or fleets; even builds, skills, gears, and bugs can be flashpoints given how strongly people can disagree about them.

Still, I'm interested to see what direction you (and the rest of the PvP Boot Camp) team decide to take this in. Good luck with it. :)

All the topics you mentioned :)

The title of the magazine is a salute to the PvP Community, nothing more.
  • Options
    maicake716maicake716 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    renimalt wrote: »

...legendary players?
    ...legendary fleets?
    ...legendary builds?
    ...legendary skills?
    ...legendary gear?
    ...legendary bugs?

how could you forget the "legendary fail"
    mancom wrote: »
    Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
    Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
    Do you even Science Bro?
  • Options
    scurry5scurry5 Member Posts: 1,554 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    maicake716 wrote: »
    how could you forget the "legendary fail"

Ooh, yes, a compilation of all those BoPs that accidentally blew themselves up while making attack runs :D

Oh, and nominate SNB as the 'one skill to rule them all'.

Or maybe even Voldy as the bug of all? ;)
  • Options
    webdeathwebdeath Member Posts: 1,570 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Hmm... Stories... of Legends?

What kind of stories are you looking for?

The Heroic Tales and memories of the fleet known as QEW an their Epic War against TSI?

Or perhaps the Razer Fleet Leader goes head to head with one of the TSI Fleet leaders causing massive Mutings in OPVP?

Or perhaps the days of Santa Claws taking on Pugs single handedly and winning matches?

All of which of course are back well before the days of F2P... Some might almost think of those days as the Glory Days (I did say SOME!) since it was before the Frengi took over ;)

So, let's be specific here.. What kind of stories ARE you looking for exactly? Personal Experiences that were just so Epic? Stories of other players? Klingon Opera songs sung for other players (No I did not do this, just guessing some one might have done this lol) Or something else entirely? :confused:

Edit: Oh and I will suggest you need to have at least 1 Thissler Video linked some where.... Because you know.. his Videos are always Epic stories. ^_^
    You think that your beta test was bad?
    Think about this:
    American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Well, while that question is sitting in my head, I do have one Story I can talk about that I hope is not a "Name and shame" and it deals with Borticus's first big "Blunder"... The Jem'Hadar Shields... and the Brace for Impact Duty Officers....

I remember when this bug first showed up.. The funniest part of the bug.. was that it was revealed on camera while Borticus was filming an eposide of STOked. Where he would run through the mission you had to play in order to get this shield, the final Mission in the Jem'Hadar Series, Boldly they Rode.

I was watching STOked live and chatting along with the rest of the audiance, when suddenly they read a message from none other then zorena. Stating how the Brace for Impact doff was activating off the Jem'Hadar Shield.

Now what I mean by reacting, is that when ever you got shot, the chance for the Brace for impact Doff would proc and your Shields and Hull would get healed. Not only that, but because of the rate of fire in PVP.. it could cause MAJOR server lag.. even causing players to be DCed from experiencing the bug.

What I remember most, before the Server Stress issue was revealed, after Zorena mentioned this bug to Borticus while on Air, his statement was "Oh well, didn't think of that interaction.. I guess PVP will be borked till we can fix it!" to which he chuckled before continueing on.

That is a bug I will never forget. And I do recall even trying the bug out in Ker'rat on some of the Farmers. And of course I was not the only one! To say the tears ran in Ker'rat, is a mild exaduration. :D

Edit: Now before people get bent out of shape as to why I posted this story is not because I dislike Borticus. Quite the Contrary actually. I respect him because he has gone above and beyond for PVP.. Doesn't mean it isn't funny to look back and remember the story of his first major Flop with PVP.. Just to show he has come so far since then. :)
    Think about this:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kolln95kolln95 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    webdeath wrote: »
    Well, while that question is sitting in my head, I do have one Story I can talk about that I hope is not a "Name and shame" and it deals with Borticus's first big "Blunder"... The Jem'Hadar Shields... and the Brace for Impact Duty Officers....

I remember when this bug first showed up.. The funniest part of the bug.. was that it was revealed on camera while Borticus was filming an eposide of STOked. Where he would run through the mission you had to play in order to get this shield, the final Mission in the Jem'Hadar Series, Boldly they Rode.

I was watching STOked live and chatting along with the rest of the audiance, when suddenly they read a message from none other then zorena. Stating how the Brace for Impact doff was activating off the Jem'Hadar Shield.

Now what I mean by reacting, is that when ever you got shot, the chance for the Brace for impact Doff would proc and your Shields and Hull would get healed. Not only that, but because of the rate of fire in PVP.. it could cause MAJOR server lag.. even causing players to be DCed from experiencing the bug.

What I remember most, before the Server Stress issue was revealed, after Zorena mentioned this bug to Borticus while on Air, his statement was "Oh well, didn't think of that interaction.. I guess PVP will be borked till we can fix it!" to which he chuckled before continueing on.

That is a bug I will never forget. And I do recall even trying the bug out in Ker'rat on some of the Farmers. And of course I was not the only one! To say the tears ran in Ker'rat, is a mild exaduration. :D

Edit: Now before people get bent out of shape as to why I posted this story is not because I dislike Borticus. Quite the Contrary actually. I respect him because he has gone above and beyond for PVP.. Doesn't mean it isn't funny to look back and remember the story of his first major Flop with PVP.. Just to show he has come so far since then. :)

Good story! I do remeber this bug, too. Was kind an interesting one, I was trying this with another fleetmate of mines, we got more than 5 millions of heal or more, and I was also "trolling" in Ker'rat with this. Oh... Those great funny times!

What I did like whne the Hazard Emitters were all the time broken on some ways. Like did not clear the EWP, etc...

Anyway, if this story would be well-written then I guess it could be involved.

Regards,

Hussar Guardian Forces
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    What I would like to share is people's experience of STO PvP. What has made it that 3 years on you are all still here. There are great stories and insights to share.

If its a build you enjoy or a team you played with that stood out imagine you are trying to tell the story to a classroom full to wide-eyed students. :)

Have fun with the story.

Then mail me at drkfrontiers@pvp-boot-camp.com
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I'm sure I'll have a better story to tell (If you dont' approve of the one I left here in the thread) to send you at a later time..

But I also would like to wonder what ever happened to Era, or even the Baby Era Comic Strip we used to have to entertain us? :confused:
    Think about this:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vegie0vegie0 Member Posts: 480 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Legendary story told by older Klingon Players.

This is the story of the origional MACO shield. And the beginning of the true skill gap between Klingons and Federation PvPers. This story revolves around the initial bug that gave the MACO shield a shocking 90% resist to all incoming damage! This ment that any person using it, was all but immortal. It stayed this way for what seemed like an Eternity, leaving us Evul Klinguns with no real options to compete. Many lost hope and quickly switched to the Fed camp to acquire such a powerful shield. Some of us however found need to push through. We would not be beaten so easily, we couldn't... So we began to experiment with High Powered Attacks, that could drop even the 90% resist shield to 0 and hold it there. This would leave us with a very small window to attack during... We knew we would need to do unreal Damage. So the Modern Alpha Strike was born. Pushing more then enough Damage to break the strongest of shields and take healthy bites out of hull in the process. Even waiting for the break in the opponents Tactical Team Cycle became a skill in which perfection was demanded. Within a few weeks, new tactics had evolved into Shield Strippiing, Multi Vectored Alpha Strikes, Single Shield Barrage Strikes, Power Drain Builds, Sheild Dissabling Builds, Transphasic Shield Bypass, Bleedthrough Builds, and even Theta Radiation Shield Stripping was finaly put to its fullest.
    These were the best of times, the times when the victory was not only hard fought, but well earned. This is what makes these battles memorable, as we Klingons were on the verge of Defeat, and this hour of Desperation breeded new Innovation.

The story of the Klingon. Fight, Fight, and Fight some more. If you want to kill them, all you need to do, is want it more then they do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    vegie0 wrote: »

This is the story of the origional MACO shield. And the beginning of the true skill gap between Klingons and Federation PvPers. This story revolves around the initial bug that gave the MACO shield a shocking 90% resist to all incoming damage! This ment that any person using it, was all but immortal. It stayed this way for what seemed like an Eternity, leaving us Evul Klinguns with no real options to compete. Many lost hope and quickly switched to the Fed camp to acquire such a powerful shield. Some of us however found need to push through. We would not be beaten so easily, we couldn't... So we began to experiment with High Powered Attacks, that could drop even the 90% resist shield to 0 and hold it there. This would leave us with a very small window to attack during... We knew we would need to do unreal Damage. So the Modern Alpha Strike was born. Pushing more then enough Damage to break the strongest of shields and take healthy bites out of hull in the process. Even waiting for the break in the opponents Tactical Team Cycle became a skill in which perfection was demanded. Within a few weeks, new tactics had evolved into Shield Strippiing, Multi Vectored Alpha Strikes, Single Shield Barrage Strikes, Power Drain Builds, Sheild Dissabling Builds, Transphasic Shield Bypass, Bleedthrough Builds, and even Theta Radiation Shield Stripping was finaly put to its fullest.
    These were the best of times, the times when the victory was not only hard fought, but well earned. This is what makes these battles memorable, as we Klingons were on the verge of Defeat, and this hour of Desperation breeded new Innovation.

The story of the Klingon. Fight, Fight, and Fight some more. If you want to kill them, all you need to do, is want it more then they do.

Prepare to see this is bright lights my friend. Perfect!
  • Options
    havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I ll start with a foundational myth. There was a time in which puggin was fun, all classes contributed, and roflstompings where the exception not the norm.

When Cryptic announced the release of the Nebula a young fed sci and fed eng captain went on long journey to either out-cc or out-heal the damage of a certain player who later came to like the D'kyr a little too much for his own (or his enemies) good.

I should also mention my first in-game mail. After posting a newb question in opvp, Roach send me a three page introduction to various skills and binds. Its still in my in-box. Thanks roach.
  • Options
    kolln95kolln95 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    vegie0 wrote: »

Such a good story I can remember that there were a lot of players speaking of the MACO bug. :D

Regards,

Hussar Guardian Forces
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    webdeath wrote: »
    I'm sure I'll have a better story to tell (If you dont' approve of the one I left here in the thread) to send you at a later time..

But I also would like to wonder what ever happened to Era, or even the Baby Era Comic Strip we used to have to entertain us? :confused:

Era left for guild wars 2, and the baby era comic strip was done by thamupp and i think zorena?

maybe just one of them?

they too have left for better games/real life issues.

i still chat with them all from time to time and i think era can be found on our ts with the other gw2 tsi'rs

ooo ooo how about the good old days of wishstone?

i remember a guy got.... unable to post for a few days for losing weight.

good times.
    Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
    Do you even Science Bro?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    havam wrote: »
    I ll start with a foundational myth. There was a time in which puggin was fun, all classes contributed, and roflstompings where the exception not the norm.

When Cryptic announced the release of the Nebula a young fed sci and fed eng captain went on long journey to either out-cc or out-heal the damage of a certain player who later came to like the D'kyr a little too much for his own (or his enemies) good.

I should also mention my first in-game mail. After posting a newb question in opvp, Roach send me a three page introduction to various skills and binds. Its still in my in-box. Thanks roach.

awww i remember the nebula launch...

best ship of all time imo still.

if it had a hanger i'd use it more then the vesta.
    Do you even Science Bro?
  • Options
    lostusthornlostusthorn Member Posts: 844
    edited September 2013
    Can't forget the days days of purple, aka 'peng spam.

Back when only feds could get the kdf developed weapon which also had a serious cooldown issue, allowing for pengs to be fired continuously.
  • Options
    ilhanskilhansk Member Posts: 620 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    There are many stories that could be told.

Although I only started playing this game with F2P, I've experienced some stuff.

The Rise of entire PVP fleets. The fall of entire PVP fleets. Epic, meta-evolving matches. Matches, that left entire premades in utter disbelief. Desperation, hope. Epic QQ. Alliances, rivalries.

So many things...
    Visit the Inner Circle YouTube Channel to watch some STO pew pew PVP action!

• Options
    edited September 2013
    ilhansk wrote: »
    There are many stories that could be told.

Although I only started playing this game with F2P, I've experienced some stuff.

The Rise of entire PVP fleets. The fall of entire PVP fleets. Epic, meta-evolving matches. Matches, that left entire premades in utter disbelief. Desperation, hope. Epic QQ. Alliances, rivalries.

So many things...

Care to do a story for us :)