test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Net Neutrality, Cryptic, CogentCo, and Netflix

gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
edited March 2015 in Ten Forward
Now that it looks like the net neutrality regulations are set to go in effect in the US, what effects should be expected with CogentCo's treatment of Cryptic? As I understand it, one of the possible problems Cryptic is having with CogentCo may be that "our" data is being throttled in favor of Netflix, which has been put on a data fast lane. Will net neutrality give Cryptic grounds to complain if they have been put into a slow lane? Is the likely response if that is a valid complaint, be for CogentCo to actually fix the problem or for them to do other things like slowing down their bigger accounts, or just flat out dumping smaller customers like Cryptic to make room for their cash cows?

Or will there be no real impact at all?

(Note: I am genuinely not sure so I am just going to sit back and see how the responses go.)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited February 2015
    Pardon me, I just crawled out from under a rock. Could you or someone give a brief explanation of net neutrality with a comparison between what currently is and what is apparently going to happen? It is not something I've really followed, and it might help in understanding the full discussion (possibly for our non-USA forumites also)
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    Now that it looks like the net neutrality regulations are set to go in effect in the US, what effects should be expected with CogentCo's treatment of Cryptic? As I understand it, one of the possible problems Cryptic is having with CogentCo may be that "our" data is being throttled in favor of Netflix, which has been put on a data fast lane. Will net neutrality give Cryptic grounds to complain if they have been put into a slow lane? Is the likely response if that is a valid complaint, be for CogentCo to actually fix the problem or for them to do other things like slowing down their bigger accounts, or just flat out dumping smaller customers like Cryptic to make room for their cash cows?

(Note: I am genuinely not sure so I am just going to sit back and see how the responses go.)

I haven't seen server lag caused by connection problems since LoR came out.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Pardon me, I just crawled out from under a rock. Could you or someone give a brief explanation of net neutrality with a comparison between what currently is and what is apparently going to happen? It is not something I've really followed, and it might help in understanding the full discussion (possibly for our non-USA forumites also)

Here is the wiki link for it. Basically, all data should be treated equally instead of certain data being more important than other data according to the ISP's preferences. So if Net Neutrality happens, then certain websites will be faster while other websites with former priority like Netflix will be slower since they are not as important anymore.
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited February 2015

neutrality is not allowing companies to pay ISP for faster transfer, making the competition seem laggy or sluggish and sup-par.

my turn:
    who the heck is cogent? I don't have any lag, so the question is academic, but my understanding was that the ISP lag issue was all European, not USA, related (??). But I only half kept up with the posts.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I was not aware that Cryptic was prohibited from changing service providers
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    We don't connect directly to Cryptic, it bounces through various places to get there. That's how Internet works, y'dig? Trace Route (Tracert) will show you the path your packets take.

One of the places connections bounce through is Cogent's servers, and if your connection bounces through there it's likely the culprit of bad lag in STO.

Nothing to do with Cryptic's own ISP.
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I was not aware that Cryptic was prohibited from changing service providers

Cogent is apparently the only available ISP in the area of their servers, thus essentially a monopoly.
  • Options
    rekurzionrekurzion Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited February 2015

If the claim is true the new rules (which go into affect about 2 1/2 months from today) would give Cryptic an avenue to pursue legal action fro unfair practices.

To the question about what is net neutrality many of the answers given are all correct. However, the move made today by the FCC not only addresses the issue of "fast lanes" but a broader declaration that the internet is as important to the future growth of America as electricity, plumbing, roads, garbage disposal and the telephone and should be formally treated as such. It is one step closer to being a public utility and puts pressure on ISP's to invest into infrastructure for the millions of Americans who still do not have access to broadband services.

Its a pretty big statement, for better or for worse. We all know how vital being connected is to our lives (and gaming), the FCC today just put in writing. Today we just watched a really profitable service/product turn into a public services regulated by the government. The last time that happened FDR was in the White House and the product was electricity.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Cogent is apparently the only available ISP in the area of their servers, thus essentially a monopoly.

lol that's nonsense
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    lol that's nonsense

Not really, for instance in my area I only have two choices, CenturyLink or Comcast. That's it. If I want something else, like Click, I have to pack up and move to to another place over some arbitrary dividing line to get that option. No, it never made any sense to me, but that was what we were told when Click had to turn us down for service all those years ago.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Not really, for instance in my area I only have two choices,
    STO servers arent in a residential neighborhood, they're in a data center in Boston. There are plenty of other choices available.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    ...for instance in my area I only have two choices, CenturyLink or Comcast.

I'm in the pacific northwest as well and have dealt with CentruyLink for personal and for business. That is not much of a choice at all.

Here's a good explanation on net neutrality.

Imagine the roads in your town were paved, maintained, and owned by a giant corporation we'll call ROADCORP.

ROADCORP also owns several shopping malls, including the one in your town - TownMall.

TownMall is nice. ROADCORP built awesome 8-lane highways with no stoplights, and all sorts of expressways and bypasses. You can get to TownMall super quick.

But today you want to visit another little stripmall. Sadly, the only way to get to this stripmall involves a 2 lane road full of potholes, with 18 stoplights and a tollbooth at the end.

ROADCORP has an incentive to make sure you can get to their mall, but they don't want to waste resources making sure you can get to other malls.

now...

Change "roads" to "the internet", change ROADCORP to COMCAST, and malls to "content creators" and you have exactly the problem that the FCC is trying to prevent.

COMCAST owns several content creators, NBC for example. Yet they charged netflix money to ensure that netflix streaming content made it to your house just as fast as NBC content.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,378 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Not really, for instance in my area I only have two choices, CenturyLink or Comcast. That's it. If I want something else, like Click, I have to pack up and move to to another place over some arbitrary dividing line to get that option. No, it never made any sense to me, but that was what we were told when Click had to turn us down for service all those years ago.
    And if you want real broadband, your choices are Comcast or move into the Click! area, because all CenturyLink offers, for all their braggadocio, is DSL. And if you're running something like the Cryptic server farm, DSL just won't cut it, so for all intents and purposes, in your area (and mine!) the only option is Comcast. Cable companies have monopolies in most of the US; Tacoma, WA, is an exception, because back when cable was getting to the the Big Thing the city decided it would be a utility like power and water, and set up a subdivision of Tacoma Power and Water to handle it. (I lived in Tacoma back in 2000, and subscribed to Click! because it gave better service for cheaper than Comcast.)

(Yes, I know CenturyLink is running commercials promoting their new 1-gig fiberoptic service. Which they are able to provide only in limited areas of the city of Seattle, because that's all the fiber they've laid. And then Frontier's pushing their FIOS service, but they've only got cabling for parts of Seattle and Bellevue. Tacoma calls itself "America's Most Wired City", but that doesn't include fiberoptics.)

And in a lot of places, laws have been passed prohibiting municipalities from setting up services like Click!, and preserving the monopoly status of whichever cable provider happens to serve the area. Apparently, judging from what I've heard (and I can't be any more specific than that, because I've never been to the East Coast), Cogent owns the physical infrastructure of high-speed Net access in that area. And they've been feuding with Level 3 and Verizon, trying to get them to pay for "fast lane" access - which means every so often they slow down any traffic coming through Level 3, in an attempt to browbeat them. Which, of course, trickles down to the likes of us...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    jonsills wrote: »

And in a lot of places, laws have been passed prohibiting municipalities from setting up services like Click!, and preserving the monopoly status of whichever cable provider happens to serve the area.

One of the lightly discussed aspects of this new FCC ruling is prohibiting lawsuits towards states/cities that decide they will not wait for Comcast/ATT/Verizon to develop in their areas and build their own infrastructure. There was a fairly well known case in Idaho where a local power company did this and was sued by Comcast.

The ruling also includes language to raise the minimum broadband speed from 25mbs (current) to 100.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015
    rekurzion wrote: »
    The ruling also includes language to raise the minimum broadband speed from 25mbs (current) to 100.

Lol, that would mean Comcast (the two highest tiers) is the only broadband provider here since Frontier (Can't still blame them since they just acquired AT&T) doesn't even get halfway there, and only in the U-Verse areas.

Frankly, I find 25Mbps more than enough. I can download a TV show in 10-15 min and can watch streams in HD fine.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Lol, that would mean Comcast (the two highest tiers) is the only broadband provider here since Frontier (Can't still blame them since they just acquired AT&T) doesn't even get halfway there, and only in the U-Verse areas.

Frankly, I find 25Mbps more than enough. I can download a TV show in 10-15 min and can watch streams in HD fine.

perspective. Comcast having those high speeds is not the issue. But with only a handful of companies owning internet infrastructure and most other companies having to "borrow" service to provide their own "competition" you have a situation where only Comcast or the ATT/Verizons that offer fiber can provide higher speeds. By raising the limit you indirectly force Comcast/ATT/Verizon to upgrade their infrastructure for different edge providers. For you that may be more than enough but the idea is to compliment the vast increase in data usage because of gaming and streaming service and to anticipate the technologies of tomorrow that more than likely will require higher bandwidth.

You can't have an internet of things in a closed system.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    STO servers arent in a residential neighborhood, they're in a data center in Boston. There are plenty of other choices available.

Put together a list then and send them to Cryptic's offices if you're so certain of that. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If the problem was with Cryptic's ISP, then the entire player base would suffer as everything funnels through it, to them.

It's not. Only a subset of players are getting hit with consistent lag issues, and when they trace route it, it goes through a Cogent thingy before continuing on.
  • Options
    deadspacex64deadspacex64 Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    darkjeff wrote: »
    If the problem was with Cryptic's ISP, then the entire player base would suffer as everything funnels through it, to them.

It's not. Only a subset of players are getting hit with consistent lag issues, and when they trace route it, it goes through a Cogent thingy before continuing on.

there are different nodes, while everything routes through cogent most likely, not all of their nodes are bad. while i do not think cogent is throttling...they are known to be one of the worst at keeping their infrastructure running properly.

this isn't the only mmo where i've run into cogent interference, been going on for years, they are just a sub par company, they have a lock so what do they care if people get drop outs or bad connections? you still have to run through them anyway.
    Dr. Patricia Tanis ~ "Bacon is for sycophants and products of incest."
    Donate Brains, zombies in Washington DC are starving.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2015

one, the companies are trying to overturn the choice made so expect to hear/read something on this soon.

two, it is highly doubtful the regulation will stick;

a) money
    b) companies still control the infrastructure, they could hold the whole country to ransom, and all the regulators can do is scream loudly at them and show how powerless they are

net neutrality has its price. now it will rear its ugly head.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    one, the companies are trying to overturn the choice made so expect to hear/read something on this soon.

two, it is highly doubtful the regulation will stick;

a) money
    b) companies still control the infrastructure, they could hold the whole country to ransom, and all the regulators can do is scream loudly at them and show how powerless they are

net neutrality has its price. now it will rear its ugly head.

don't think they hold anything for ransom...internet has become something of strategic importance as well. and we all know how well the states government deals with something that screws with what they consider of national importance.

something both sides of the parties could come down on is if someone starts TRIBBLE with their internet.
  • Options
    sarreoussarreous Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Arguments on both sides are so overblown anyways (The future of free speech is at stake! The FCC just saved/doomed the internet!). I'm not saying that this doesn't have important implications (it does) but when anything resembling politics are involved people seem to switch their brains off.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    skollulfr wrote: »
    opposite.
    net neutrality means they cant discriminate.
    the reason netflix was slow before was because the isp's where artificially throttling their connection to extort more money out of them after they already paid for the data usage.
    the "extra speed" netflix got, was the service they already paid for and had been getting before the extortion began.

if net neutrality goes away, thats when you will see discrimination across the board. with everything crushed in favour of the telecoms own services.

You misread what I was saying. I just used Netflix as an example as a website that had priority access. If you have a website that has priority access and one that doesn't, then the website that has priority access will obviously be much faster than the one that doesn't. Net Neutrality will make all data equal so the one that used to have priority access will be slower than when it had priority access.

To say otherwise would mean that the infrastructure would have to be improved so that all data has the same speed that priority access used to have which won't happen for awhile.
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited February 2015

If cogent (or however it is spelled) is givng cryptic so much grief perhaps cryptic / PWE should look into changing server and ISP providers.

I for one would not stay with an ISP who give preferential treatment to certain entities due to thier larger financial landscapes.

It might cost them a small fortune now but it would pay itself off down. (I will not go into the details It would take far to long)

LLAP _\\//
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    don't think they hold anything for ransom...internet has become something of strategic importance as well. and we all know how well the states government deals with something that screws with what they consider of national importance.

something both sides of the parties could come down on is if someone starts TRIBBLE with their internet.

dont underestimate the importance of greed to some companies, they will run over anyone they can who stands in their way, including you and your naivity.

the companies can hold the country to ransom because they are the ones who control that point, not your government. they could sooner see the internet burn first before they hand it over to anyone else and then take their money and never be seen again. they dont need to do anything anyone elses way but their own.

Besides these are the companies who fund their idiot leadership campaigns every 5 years anyway, they invest into a leader and they get what they want anyway, the leader and their puppet party dont have much choice but to give into the demand.
    If cogent (or however it is spelled) is givng cryptic so much grief perhaps cryptic / PWE should look into changing server and ISP providers.

I for one would not stay with an ISP who give preferential treatment to certain entities due to thier larger financial landscapes.

It might cost them a small fortune now but it would pay itself off down. (I will not go into the details It would take far to long)

LLAP _\\//

i dont think that is possible, because the sto server is located in Boston. changing ISP wont make one god damn bit of difference. the only way it will, is by moving the game server to another city and then you could setup on another isp, as long as it does not run directly through Boston, otherwise it still wouldnt make much difference.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    dont underestimate the importance of greed to some companies, they will run over anyone they can who stands in their way, including you and your naivity.

the companies can hold the country to ransom because they are the ones who control that point, not your government. they could sooner see the internet burn first before they hand it over to anyone else and then take their money and never be seen again. they dont need to do anything anyone elses way but their own.

Besides these are the companies who fund their idiot leadership campaigns every 5 years anyway, they invest into a leader and they get what they want anyway, the leader and their puppet party dont have much choice but to give into the demand.

i dont think that is possible, because the sto server is located in Boston. changing ISP wont make one god damn bit of difference. the only way it will, is by moving the game server to another city and then you could setup on another isp, as long as it does not run directly through Boston, otherwise it still wouldnt make much difference.

rofl my naivety? they've already tried, several times, and failed each time. evidently you don't follow this as much as you claim to. ill informed.

they can't let it burn..how moronic. they lose money then they have none left to buy politicians so you just shot your own let it burn argument in the head. try thinking things through completely before you just start ranting wtih whatever you may have heard from others.

critical thinking, logic...powerful tools, learn to use them.
  • Options
    dova25dova25 Member Posts: 475
    edited February 2015
    rekurzion wrote: »
    I'm in the pacific northwest as well and have dealt with CentruyLink for personal and for business. That is not much of a choice at all.

Here's a good explanation on net neutrality.

Imagine the roads in your town were paved, maintained, and owned by a giant corporation we'll call ROADCORP.

ROADCORP also owns several shopping malls, including the one in your town - TownMall.

TownMall is nice. ROADCORP built awesome 8-lane highways with no stoplights, and all sorts of expressways and bypasses. You can get to TownMall super quick.

But today you want to visit another little stripmall. Sadly, the only way to get to this stripmall involves a 2 lane road full of potholes, with 18 stoplights and a tollbooth at the end.

ROADCORP has an incentive to make sure you can get to their mall, but they don't want to waste resources making sure you can get to other malls.

now...

Change "roads" to "the internet", change ROADCORP to COMCAST, and malls to "content creators" and you have exactly the problem that the FCC is trying to prevent.

COMCAST owns several content creators, NBC for example. Yet they charged netflix money to ensure that netflix streaming content made it to your house just as fast as NBC content.

What is the difference between your two malls from your example and how FED and KDF are treated in this game ?
    "There already is a Borg faction, its called the Federation. They assimilate everyone else's technology and remove any biological or technical distinctiveness and add it to their own."
    I refuse to be content https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwI0u9L4R8U