test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

At what point will multiple rep systems stop you from creating new characters?

Comments

• chris919ukchris919uk Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I only started playing early May so I don't have many characters. On my Romulan I'm on Tier 3 Omega/Romulan Rep done, with Nukara at Tier 1 (Currently doing Nukara by Tribble power, may take 5 years). :D

My Fed is almost T3 Omega and T2 Romulan. No plans for Nukara.

On my third and favourite character, my KDF Orion I decided I didn't want to do the Rom rep or the Nukara. In fact I started doing a lot of STFs while my character was still in the mid 40's to stockpile up on marks so I wouldn't feel burnt out later grinding. Just got the assimilated console the other day and I will probably only go as far as getting the Cutting Beam, the KHG Mk XI space and ground sets. Then I will call it a day.

Have recently rolled a Trill Fed Sci, which I have no plans to do any rep on at all.

Doing fleet mark runs, a few STF's. Foundry missions and learning how to create Foundry missions myself does not lend a lot of time to do 3 rep systems to completion on multiple characters. However it has to be said its up to you when you want to finish the rep, theres no completion date required. ;)

Oh and if anyone feels burnt out on rep and could use a laugh. I created this a few days ago to cheer myself up for when I've done one STF too many. :) (Not a crit of the game, just done for a laugh)

http://imageshack.us/a/img577/6250/svgz.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "You have not experienced Shakespeare until you have read him in the original Klingon, taH pagh, taH be"
  • chestertrekchestertrek Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Its pretty simple I think.

Introduce "STF" missions for Nukara and Romulan, include the "BNP" concept with it too. This makes the grind fun. It also makes the space/ground sets worth buying.

Also, scale the doff system so that it generates enough expertise to support all the rep systems for new characters.

I would level all new characters this way.
  • jrq2jrq2 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I?m out no more toon leveling and definitely NO reputation for me.

I have only fully leveled 3 Feds from way back and only managed to level one Romulan toon in all 3 reputations and called it quits. Its just tooooooooooooooooooooo B O R I N G. all the washing rinsing and repeating just go to me and now I only log on for 30- 40 min 2 or 3 times a day.

All that wash rise and repeat as sucked the fun out of this game and don?t have the energy to play beyond 40min.

I thought this new lock box would put a jumpstart in my interest, but sad to say it has not.

I guess im suffering from P.T.W.R.R. syndrome

Traumatic

Wash

Rinse and

Repeat

syndrome
    :(
  • alikainalikain Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I use to have only four characters until I made my first Klingon character who is at commander level. I stop doing STF long time ago and I have all my four characters including my Romulan at tier two when it comes to STF. But for the Romulan rep I max all the four out and it's was no small feat. I am done with rep system, they are boring and take too much time. Beside all the stuff you buy at the rep store are bound to that character only so what the point in grinding for them.
    "You ask why we give our ships computer normal emotions. Do you really want a warship incapable of loyalty?"
  • linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    westx211 wrote: »
    Its ironic that cryptic made rep to keep ppl busy till new stuff arrives yet the rep makes ppl more mad than having not much to do till stuff arrives.
    I joined "Star Trek: Online" at the start of season five. During my first year with the game, the atmosphere was a whole lot better. Players had parties on Deep Space Nine, Earth Space Dock, and Drozana. Once the reputation system and fleet bases were introduced, the Omega offices on Deep Space Nine were closed down. Virtually all of the parties ended.

People wanted an easy way to obtain Omega/M.A.C.O. gear. Instead of just adjusting the drop rates, Cryptic decided to overhaul the whole system. Before the new system was put into place, the price to buy stuff was rather inexpensive. All the reputation system store items were originally sold in the Omega store. We use to be able to buy plasma, antiproton, disruptor, tachyon, and phaser ground and space gear with little stress. Even though the elite drop rates were frustrating, the overall endgame was extremely stress free. Everyone was having a ball.

As a direct result of creating multiple holding systems (reputations, fleetbases, and embassies), Cryptic turned a fun form of entertainment into a nine to five job.

Do you want to know the irony? If Cryptic solely introduced the reputation system, players would not have ended up burning out. Unless cryptic deals with the endless grinding, over priced dilithium items, insane cool-down timers, and out of control exchange prices, the quality of this game will continue to turn players off.

I want to sign into the game next week, but the lack of fun has created a buzz kill.

Do you remember that 'free item giveaway' last week? I never signed into the system. Regardless about what they give away for free, the game's overall issues will continue to be a plague. Giving away free items will not solve the game's overall problems.

I am watching season eight's advertising closely. If Cryptic solves some of the issues, I may try to come back for the next season. Since I have spent so much money on "STO", I am going to give Cryptic a chance to fix things. "Star Trek: Online's" current state is not worth my time and money.

*crosses fingers*

I pray they are listening to everyone's concerns.
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Rep system killed the fun of alts for me almost right away.
    I just couldn't keep up and did not have the time to bother, so since then I have exclusively devoted my time and efforts to developing my KDF tactical officer, with some "casual" play on my alts.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ya'll already know what's going to happen...

Just like with the First Mark System we used to have.

Eventually, They will have made so many different Rep Systems that They will have to either condense them all into one type of Point, or scrap the whole thing...

At which point the process will start all over again.

:rolleyes:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • lordvalecortezlordvalecortez Member Posts: 479 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I have 5 toons, 3 Fed, 1 KDF, and one Fromulan. My main is maxed out on Reps but he's the only one. I had started doing STF runs on my KDF but then the rep system came and I just couldn't do it. I'm half tempted to run up the Rommy track for my Frommy but only half tempted.

Has the rep system stopped me from making alts? No, I just have no desire to make additional toons. I already have 1 of each profession and one of each faction. That's plenty for me.
    Cheers from Antonio Valerio Cortez III, Half-Celestial Archduke of the Free Marches Confederacy.
  • eurialoeurialo Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    actually I have 6 toons, 5 of them are full skilled (omega, romulan and nukara reputation included) and I am not planning to complete omega, nukara or romulan reputation on the 6th character... moreover I did not created a romulan toon because I do not like grinding marks by playing everyday the same missions.
    I will never create a new toon untill I will have to repeat several times every day the same contents to complete the reputation system.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Playing STO spamming FAW is like playing chess using always the computer's suggested moves
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I have one Fed main with T5 Omega and Romulan rep.

I now have one Romulan/KDF with T5 Romulan and almost Nukara.

I also have 15 or so other alts that I have zero intention to level up rep on. They will be deleted at some point in the very near future.

I don't plan on ever making a new character. I might if they release a new faction, but only for the levelling mission content; which I will then delete at either level 50 or as soon as the unique content stops.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• dave18193dave18193 Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The grind is too intense for those of us with limited time to play the game.

Seriously, making it account bound would be so much better. We'd still have to requisition the gear, meaning that we'd still be spending the dil, which is what really counts.

What possible purpose does it serve to make us run missions like Japori over, and over and over again. Cryptic doesnt make any money of it, and all it does is slow purchases of character slots and associated items.
    Got a cat? Have 10 minutes to help someone make the best degree dissertation of all time?

Then please fill out my dissertation survey on feline attachment, it'd be a massive help (-:

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/87XKSGH
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    dave18193 wrote: »
    The grind is too intense for those of us with limited time to play the game.

Seriously, making it account bound would be so much better. We'd still have to requisition the gear, meaning that we'd still be spending the dil, which is what really counts.

What possible purpose does it serve to make us run missions like Japori over, and over and over again. Cryptic doesnt make any money of it, and all it does is slow purchases of character slots and associated items.
    This a thousand times.

One character gets to a rep tier... each character gets the passive unlock and access to other projects of that tier. That way, people with two dozen characters(*coughlikemecough*) wouldn't have to spend a lifetime grinding each of their reps out.
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I created a thread where I list possible fixes for what I think are the top three issues with the Rep system, that includes its Alt-Unfriendliness:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=833111

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • trhrangerxmltrhrangerxml Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm only at 14 lvl 50s and its put a damper on playing characters that I haven't done rep on. I'm going through and playing 2 of my old toons at a time and one of my new Rom toons and just lvling those. I also buy all the provisions I will need for that toon at the start so I don't have to worry about that (just the hypo, charges, cells and regens). Really doesn't take that much to max out 1 toon, may be 20 runs of a particular high rewarding mission like CEE during rep hour. The only thing that really hurts is to get distracted by toys before you max out the rep, just wait until you are done.
    Hi, my name is: Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor

LTS, here since...when did this game launch again? :D
  • odstparker#7820 odstparker Member Posts: 466 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Basically, I try and reach max reputation for all options on my main character, a level 50 FED. On my other characters, my KDF and ROM, I have not even touched any of them. I plan to do the same for the new event system they came out with, assuming those events will become more frequent (maybe one for each season, like LOTRO does). I try to max out my main character, because that is the one I use most, and leave the other two factions as a fun thing to play once in a while.

I have completed tier 5 Omega reputation on my main captain, tier 3 Romulan, and tier 1 for Nukara. I intend to max out both Romulan and Nukara (Romulan for the torpedo and beam array, Nukara for the dual beam and web mines), but only on my main character.

Although I know it will most likely never happen, I wish the reputation system was a constant between all of your characters, so it would give people more incentive for each one, and so it would draw significantly less resources from each one of your characters. I, for one, do not have a ton of time to grind Romulan or Nukara missions or fleet actions for the relatively small amount of marks you get per run (compared to the STF Omega marks), so I would love having the same reputation status on each of my captains, and then worry about grinding out the top level gear for each of them in turn.
  • heraldofmanweheraldofmanwe Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I tend to use Rep to give a character a theme. My Romulan does Romulan reputation, my fed tac does Omega rep, etc. I see reputation systems as the mission starfleet has assigned one of my characters. For me, the problems is that I need 2 more fun and interesting (I dont find tholians fun) rep categories so my 4 characters all have a clear purpose.

Ask yourself: would starfleet assign a ship and crew to rebuild Romulus while fighting the borg all the time? I think it is more logical to assume that the Omega task force members spend all their time fighting the borg, where as some ships spend all their time helping the Romulan people. I realize this is an in universe explanation for a game mechanic, but it keeps me happy. Also, as a bonus, it differentiates my characters in a meaningful way!
  • sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I have 4 Characters, 2 Feds, a Kling and a Rom. They are all max level. They are all at level 1 or 2 on all the Reps. I am working on the reps on all four at the same time. And it's tedius. I will not make another alt till I have all the reps done on the current 4. Once that is done then I will make one Character and level him up and rep him before going on to the next alt. I have always planned on making an Tact, Eng and Sci per faction. That hasn't changed. But my play time is now shorter because the rep is so tedious to me. So I jump on each Alt to do what I need to do to get the rep going and then go to the next. Once I have reps done on all four, I log out and go to some other game to have fun.

The rep system is only being done because the Tier XII purple gear is there. And I want to have it to equipe my guys. It sucks and if there was a different way that was fun, I would play for longer periods of time in STO.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Already did. After the nightmare ive been having repping up my two romulans and orion (nope still not done with nukara, i was gone for a month and half though) im so done. Ill finish these characters and no more. I absolutely refuse to grind like this anymore. I spend more time in game grinding marks and expertise than i do playing anything id actually enjoy. I am so sick of ISE it isnt even funny.

(it can take four hours just to get enough marks and cash to set up my remaining three characters - thank god my main is done- for the next 20 hours of projects, this is insane cryptic)
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • dmetrikepidmetrikepi Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I probably won't use the rep system on my other characters. I have 5. I'm almost done with the Omega rep, and the Tholian rep and Romulan rep are done. The thing is, I don't really mindthe rep system or the grind. It's there to keep prestige gear out of the hands of every toon out there. This way that prestige equipment is still rarish, but available for those of us willing to pay the ridiculous prices to make an all rating XII ship.

I do like the idea of the tier progression being account shared, but binding the store unlocks and the items to character. This way you alleviate some of the grind (sure, I ran the Tholian Nebula rescue six times this week, but running it with 3 different ships is less tedious than 1).

I also think some, not all DoFFs should offer marks. If I send my duty officers to reinforce a base in Romulan territory, track Borg fleet movements, or have my chef explore the culinary applications of Tholian corpses I think that is worth a fleet mark or two. It also encourages players to regularly patol the regions that they are supposedly having all this impact in.

That said, the epoph DoFFs are awesome and reduce the grind for the Romulan rep exponentially and I think it would be also cool to intigrate something similar to get Omega marks, Neural processors, or Tholian marks as time goes on and more projects are added.
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I've started working yet more characters through the rep system, so I guess not, for me. But I am being lazy about it. And I'm going to leave more reps at Tier 2 rather than finish them. If I don't feel like doing the missions for marks some days, I just don't. The projects don't need to be filled every 20 hours.
  • the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    rep grind beyond Tier III stops me. I get some of the passives but it gets expensive to do multiples like that at once especially. I hate the time delay as well, can we have something other than 20hrs each for a change?

At what point do we gain enough favor with these people that it doesn't take 20 hrs for projects? That would be my question we're supposedly supposed to be improving our favors with these people, sooooo.

It's kinda like the missions for Doff commendations. You get to Tier III and then have to do the exact same amount all over again to get to Tier IV but there's nothing to improve the time it takes to get there nor are there missions that allow for much much higher commendations so as to shorten the time it takes from 50k-100k. Rep seems to have this same limitation!
  • survivorofremussurvivorofremus Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    After hitting T5 in all reps on My Main, im in no rush to go through that again on any of my 5 Alts, Quite simply not going to Happen.

I love the game, but the time/resources required to hit T5 on all of them puts me off so so so much! :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I can't get the game to work in Linux, but once I can get back into the game I'd probably still handle my alts the same way with these new reps systems:

One job per alt (The Farming Cappy. The Foundry Cappy. The PvE Cappy.) and one rep per alt.
    <3
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I tend to not bother with rep unless that specific character has a reason to want the rewards.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • anothervisitoranothervisitor Member Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    rep is launched
    take a good look at my 3 characters, thinking of trashing one, painfully grind out rep for all of them
    ya, im never making a new character again
    LoR launches
    TRIBBLE, ok 1 more character
    grinding 3rd rep for old characters and all 3 for my rom, its hell
    NEVER making a new character again
    Pretty much sums up how I feel about it. I got a Fed, KDF and RRF each with a different carreer and I'm done making new characters. I don't care if they add another faction. I won't make another; because too much rep.
    Tyr shall give me strength!
    For the glory of Tempus!
    I am the hands of Shar!
    Flames of Kossuth, protect me!
    Oghma, grant me knowledge!
    Lolth commands, and I obey!
  • eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I have 3 toons, one for each faction.
    Started on Fed, soon switched to KDF which is now my main.

Since LoR, it's the first time I've sat back and gone, 'ya know what, not going to bother grinding after hitting lvl50'.

I think it was the right decision too. Too much grind as is, so now my alts just do doff missions to feed my main extra dil and earn FMs for base projects.

Until or unless Cryptic figure out a way of making reps on alts easier to grind or or almost effortless, I'm not going to bother grinding rep on alts.

So to answer thread title. LoR was what stopped me. Any future reps will just compound the problem.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • dilbartdilbart Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    You spend an hour on each toon to get your daily marks to feed into the rep system.

Next thing you know its time to go to bed and you haven't done anything fun. Go play TF2 instead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kryptichkryptich Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The only real aspect that will keep me from grinding other toons is that even after I go and do all of my dailys and get marks for each faction. I have to sit and wait 20 or so hours until I can launch another project and continue on my way. That wait is absolute garbage. I can maybe understand a few hours at most but a whole day until the next project is just TRIBBLE. I know Cryptic is trying to make it last but at what cost. If people get bored they will go play something else that is a little more rewarding. I think they forgot that people love instant gratification.
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I've already mentioned in another thread...

I havent even touched my Romulan since LoR launched because of the new Nukara rep.

I paid $129.00 to get the pre order Legacy Pack, quite a shame I have no time atm to build my Rom toon. Too busy with my other 4 characters, trying to catch up with the Nukara rep..

Was wishing they allowed you to buy Rep Tiers with either Zen or Dilithium
    (but only if you've completed the reps the hard way, with at least one character) You'd get an option at LVL 50 with new characters, to buy "Rep Tiers with Zen or Dil"

Thinking about starting my brand new Rommy makes me want to.... *Puts gun in mouth*
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • potasssiumpotasssium Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I haven't done much at all with Nukara rep on any of my toons. I got tier 5 Romulan Rep just to unlock Remans on one toon. Other than that, tier 4 for the various Torpedo Launchers and consoles under Omega & Romulan is fine.

I'll probably slowly progress my toons on Nukara rep, but not with any haste. I would like to get that Tholian Sword.

Luckily my fleet does a good job of doing the rep grind missions in teams, it makes it much more fun. STFs with fleet mates as well.

I am really growing to love Defara ground, never get bored with killing Borg, in space or on the ground.
    Thanks for the Advanced Light Cruiser, Allied Escort Bundles, Jem-Hadar Light Battlecruiser, and Mek'leth
    New Content Wishlist
    T6 updates for the Kamarag & Vor'Cha
    Heavy Cruiser & a Movie Era Style AoY Utility Cruiser
    Dahar Master Jacket