test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

At what point will multiple rep systems stop you from creating new characters?

ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited November 2013 in Reputation System
Having had more ambition than my actual motivation has been able to carry, I originally set out to create 4 new Romulan characters.

I'm nearing (within the next 2 weeks) completion of all 3 Rep systems on my initial Romulan Character.

However, at this point...

>The amount of different events you need to grind for different rep currencies.

> The generally tedious nature of buying an inputting small commodities (especially ground device consumables like hypos)

> The massive cost of expertise required (about 500,000 expertise PER Rep system, so about 1.5 million expertise for 3 systems - easy for old characters but yet another grind for new ones).

...have me uncertain I will even bother with a second new character, much less the 3rd and 4th.

Generally I log on, and there are things I have to do to earn rep that generally prevent me from playing the content that I actually want to play.

There are also other indirect advantages to not having multiple characters, as this game has pushed so far and hard into expensive, single character unlocks (DOFF Roster, Inventory slots, Bank Slots, Lockbox ships, fleet ships, dilithium store gear, Rep gear, fleet store gear, etc.)

So how about you? How are you taking the grind in stride?

How many characters will you maintain if they add another 1, 2, 3 or even 4 new Rep systems?

If in 1 year from now, there are a total of 6 Rep systems - would you even dare create a new character?

Keep in mind we have gotten 3 full Rep systems in the past 6/7 months.

What happens when a new faction is launched and you have to start all of it over again?
Post edited by ussultimatum on

Comments

• Options
    zaynarzaynar Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    As of right now, I have no intention of leveling the Rep system on any of my other characters. I have a Rom, Fed, and KDF and my Rom is the only on I have even attempted to reach max Rep on.

If the next faction was the Cardassians, I may level that one's Rep as well. Only time will tell.

But I do think that the Rep's, and all the other grinds, is meant to only be done on one character.
  • Options
    milandaremilandare Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't have sufficient passion for any imagined future race expansion to ever do the rep grind more than once. Heck, I don't even have what it takes to do the Nukara grind after finally completing Omega and Romster. So I'll hang with my first toon for as long as I can find fun in it, and I'll make other toons for the mission stories. My day job has all the OCD I will ever need.
  • Options
    kaltoumkaltoum Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It already stopped me from playing alts. I have two alts and once they reach 50 i am done. No way i am going to do this boring grind all over again. I feel like hitting myself in face with hot iron while going through it first time. Most boring s*** i have ever done but i need some gear. But never again.
    Once upon a time in galaxy far far away......
  • Options
    twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The rep systems are not discouraging me from making and playing alts.

I'm currently at 12 characters. I have only progressed rep tracks in 1. That is enough.

*shrug*

I'll just pretend they're account-wide and make do without them, no problems here.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    twam wrote: »
    The rep systems are not discouraging me from making and playing alts.

I'm currently at 12 characters. I have only progressed rep tracks in 1. That is enough.

*shrug*

I'll just pretend they're account-wide and make do without them, no problems here.

Well that answers the question but it's not really in the spirit of the question.

My fault for not being specific enough.

Rep is a type of character progress, but rather than gain levels and progress "up" you tend to progress more sideways. (I'm sure some MMO Thesis writer has better terms for this).

So in effect, you are actually answering my question by saying "I will not progress or advance my X amount of characters, only 1".

These means you are purposefully not advancing them, likely because the task is too tedious, time consuming or perhaps just not interesting/motivating enough to do so - although I'd rather you tell me yourself why you're not doing it than speculating. :)
  • Options
    martin1970giesenmartin1970giesen Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Having had more ambition than my actual motivation has been able to carry, I originally set out to create 4 new Romulan characters.

I'm nearing (within the next 2 weeks) completion of all 3 Rep systems on my initial Romulan Character.

However, at this point...

>The amount of different events you need to grind for different rep currencies.

> The generally tedious nature of buying an inputting small commodities (especially ground device consumables like hypos)

> The massive cost of expertise required (about 500,000 expertise PER Rep system, so about 1.5 million expertise for 3 systems - easy for old characters but yet another grind for new ones).

...have me uncertain I will even bother with a second new character, much less the 3rd and 4th.

Generally I log on, and there are things I have to do to earn rep that generally prevent me from playing the content that I actually want to play.

There are also other indirect advantages to not having multiple characters, as this game has pushed so far and hard into expensive, single character unlocks (DOFF Roster, Inventory slots, Bank Slots, Lockbox ships, fleet ships, dilithium store gear, Rep gear, fleet store gear, etc.)

How many characters will you maintain if they add another 1, 2, 3 or even 4 new Rep systems?

If in 1 year from now, there are a total of 6 Rep systems - would you even dare create a new character?

Keep in mind we have gotten 3 full Rep systems in the past 6/7 months.

What happens when a new faction is launched and you have to start all of it over again?

Normaly i make a engineer, tac, science space, ground & space/ground.
    Now i just will make 1 tac space (escord with battle-cloak, must be tac).
    When more rep systems come i will maintain all characters on my main-account (13), i start with 6, then do the last 4 fed when those are finished i will do my kdf.
    As for making new characters, never say never...
    Keybind: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=9355971&postcount=463
    Bone1970 don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. Fed Tac.
    Bone Trader don't belief in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. Fed Tac.
    Bone2 don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. KDF Eng.
    Warning: Not a native English-speaker, sorry if my English sucks.
  • Options
    kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited June 2013
    Well that answers the question but it's not really in the spirit of the question.

Rep is a type of character progress, but rather than gain levels and progress "up" you tend to progress more sideways. (I'm sure some MMO Thesis writer has better terms for this).
    So in effect, you are actually answering my question by saying "I will not progress or advance my X amount of characters, only 1".
    These means you are purposefully not advancing them, likely because the task is too tedious, time consuming or perhaps just not interesting/motivating enough to do so - although I'd rather you tell me yourself why you're not doing it than speculating. :)

No I don't find it too tedious atm. Currently 33 characters + 1 farm/delete toon (11-feds,15-kdf,7-roms) most non-romulan toons are T4/5 in the 2 original reps, romulans are all progressing towards T2 in all reps.

It just depends what you like to do I guess, i like leveling a new character and trying new things with each. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    milanvoriusmilanvorius Member Posts: 641 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If they add anymore rep programs without a significant number of new missions to grind then I might not bother even on my primary captain. I was lucky to have lots of Nukara marks from the old version of Nukara ground hard int and ext.

To answer OP question I have many alts for testing, but I have 7 intended for use. 3 fed and 3 kdf (1 sci, eng, tac) and a rom sci.

I am only playing fed eng now, leveled feds and kdf all on the omega system, but not since. I think my fed tac has all the rom and omega reputation up. Bottom line i dont need rep for anything special in pve, just need the perks to remain competitive on my eng cap for fleet play.

The rom capt was a waste of time for my preferences and leveled from 30-50 with doff only by transferring greens. THe missions were tedious and ships lacked interest for my game play. But I like multiplayer stuff more and the missions were basically single player in nature.

Rep is not content IMO, I just want to have new things to do, not new empty bins to fill up in a repetitive manner. The rep system has pretty much eliminated my play time on the kdf side. I hope there are no new rep systems so I can play my kdf sci some in the near future.

I wish that pvp matches gave choice of marks, it is more teamwork in nature than the pug mark missions.
    PvE Jem'Hadar motto: Participation Ribbons are life.
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    rep is launched

take a good look at my 3 characters, thinking of trashing one, painfully grind out rep for all of them

ya, im never making a new character again

LoR launches

TRIBBLE, ok 1 more character

grinding 3rd rep for old characters and all 3 for my rom, its hell

NEVER making a new character again
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    kapla1755 wrote: »
    No I don't find it too tedious atm. Currently 33 characters + 1 farm/delete toon (11-feds,15-kdf,7-roms)

:eek::eek::eek:

Wow, 33 characters!! :P
  • Options
    kiriseekirisee Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well, for me it has already pretty much stopped me from grinding Nukura, just isn't worth it.

But then i have 14 old toons, done with Rommie rep and mostly done with Omega too. Still have a Romulan and Reman to do the Rommie rep, but think thats all i'm going to do for rep grinding. Its just too unfriendly to having many alts.
    "If everyone used Macs, we'd be working on how to get to Alpha Centauri rather than how to get to Mars."
  • Options
    milanvoriusmilanvorius Member Posts: 641 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    :eek::eek::eek:

Wow, 33 characters!! :P

I was impressed, I ahve 18, 6 are not to 50 yet, just leveling with doff missions and lore, as I test different skills combos and gear. Like to avoid respec tokens as much as possible.

But 33 active characters.....that is darn impressive.
    PvE Jem'Hadar motto: Participation Ribbons are life.
  • Options
    chookinchookin Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Have 15 characters, kind of stopped playing different alts as time went on/more stuff was introduced. When I think about the reputations/having to go to ground to collect hypos etc it generally turns me off and stop playing for the rest of the day.

Can't really feel motivated about making new or keeping them all up to date anymore, so I just TRIBBLE about on one or two characters a day on what I feel like doing. It's not the most efficient use in game but much more enjoyable than grinding.
  • Options
    marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This last rep did it for me, no more new characters or character slot purchases until their is account wide rep or at least increased rep points for completing projects for alts as long as you have a higher tier on another character.

I have 10 level 50 characters, but only 2 I will max all rep on, others have only up to t2 romulan and omega anywhere from t2 to t5 and mostly relegated to being contraband farmers and dil grinders.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • Options
    bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I agree three are enough and to be honest if I could copy the fleet credits and other stuff that can't be copied over to an other character I would delete at least 6 of my alts.
    Bridger.png
  • Options
    twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Fair enough :)

I ehm, I'd say it's a combination of the task being tedious and not interesting enough. It's not the time-consuming thing per se, but the fact that you need to do the same things again and again, just to be able to do some administrative work - input things by slider in order to see some bars move.

If I want to get ingame benefits by doing tedious repetitive stuff, I'd work for an additional 1 or 2 hours a week and convert the money from that to Zen/dil :P
    That way I'd get much more bang for my buck/time, too.

In terms of games, I'm mostly in it for the fun and gaming experience. If it stops being fun and/or starts becoming administrative work, I quickly lose interest. Hence, I tend to repeat some story missions once in a while, do some events I like, sometimes, and play pvp matches.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Never. The parts of this game I like I play. The parts I do not I leave alone. I view Reputation as an option. I am not required to progress through one to level up a toon. Further, the rewards are too expensive and time consuming. They're also not really worth the effort once you acquire and use them.

The customer may not be correct but the customer is still the customer. If a few more players would leave parts of the game unplayed which people always seem to be complaining about here, then maybe the Devs and their Dark Masters would take the hint.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    eisenw0lfeisenw0lf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I managed to get my Romulan to Tier IV in Romulan and Nukara Rep and Tier V in Omega Rep. The amount of expertise required for a new toon is mind-boggling. I had to constantly grind the mirror event to get enough expertise on top of the usual mark grind to run the projects. Now I've used up my last expertise for some MK XII gear. I don't think that I will continue to run the other two Reps, it's just too boring to play the same mission over and over again. Cryptic really needs to release more options for us to get a decent amount of expertise. Other missions and DOffing simply don't reward enough.
  • Options
    badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I might try for level 1 or 2 on the alts that don't have it, but that's about it. It has simply become too much work to a point where I can't enjoy special events because I'm in the "MUST...GRIND...REPUTATION!"-mindset.

The only reason I have as many Nuke marks as I do is simply because I had the foresight to stock up on the Tholian ground set pieces on multiple toons knowing I could cash them in.

Anyhow, they need to slow down the releases of reputation and give systems like PvP and DoFFing some love.

/not a PvPer, but recognize it needs attention.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Tier-2 is all you need for most alts. That gives you the full Mk X or XI sets, and the consoles. Some toons need to go higher to get access to more stuff (rep torpedoes and such), but most of them dont.

I dont have any alts. I have 5 chars with specific design objectives, and of those I am taking some of them to T5 in each rep. I want full access to the Omega sets, but theres nothing I need from T5 romulan or nukera rep on all of them.
  • Options
    makburemakbure Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I only have one character in the game. The rep grind reminds me of the crafting grind in WoW. In that game, I have one character, out of four, that has advanced crafting professions.
    -Makbure
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited June 2013

After I played through the Romulan faction missions, I ended up deleting four out of five of my avatars. I also deleted my one and only Romulan avatar.

My main avatar: Omega T5 & Romulan T3.
    My secondary avatar: Omega T3.
    Unless there is something 'substantial' to be gained, I will not bother with playing through any new rep systems.

I am currently taking a small hiatus from "Star Trek: Online", so I can focus on some really important life stuff. I got tired of waiting out timers, so i decided it was time for a rest.
  • Options
    fletch246xxxfletch246xxx Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have 3 captains with maxed out Omega and Romulan rep, and 2 are at T4. None have started the Nukara rep. My Romulan has not started any of the rep stuff since hitting 50

I dread starting Nukara, but I dread 're-running' the Omega and Romulan reps even more. For me I think it would be nice to add Marks as rewards for many more activities such as Foundry missions and DOFF missions. Also make every PvE queue mission 'flexible' (choice of marks) and add choice of marks to the PvP matches.
  • Options
    zombiedeadheadedzombiedeadheaded Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There is no reason beyond boredom for starting a second character in the first place. The only motivation is the absolute lack of content in the game, so people just do the same things over and over again, in the hope that it will be as interesting or entertaining as the first time. It won't.
  • Options
    sandormen123sandormen123 Member Posts: 862 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    For me it has happened long time ago.
    I have invested so much time and money, that all time I have to play this game, is devoted to my main. -Which I am very happy of.
    I do have started an alt, with the release of LoR. It's got an promising start, but considering it is behind my main with 3000 logged hours and 12400+ accolade points, I don' see myself spending much investment on that character. -Unless there are something that my main cannot use. -I might spend the effort on the alt.
    Before LoR, i tried start a klink alt. I gave up. All it did for me, was to aquire some more contrabands. After that was nerfed, i Mothballed it. Only reason I haven't deleted it, is because I bought a lobi-skirt, -of all things. :rolleyes:

More characters? Nope. There are too many things to do with the main. Maybe if you ask again in another year. ;)
    /Floozy
  • Options
    ebeneezergoodeebeneezergoode Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    One solution would be to make the mission rewards non-rep specific like Azura. That way there'd be some variety if you were only in need of Nukara marks. Getting it for PVP would be nice in theory, but that'd probably lead to more AFKers than anyone interested in PVP. Unless it was tied to damage/heal output for each individual...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    alfamegaalfamega Member Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    well, i got 2 feds, 1 kilng, 1 romi.
    the romi is obviously new.
    other 3 are since the release of the game.
    i am busy 4-5 hours everyday to grind all the stuff for them.
    more of this i am tempted to freeze the progress of one of my feds.

really, all the alts should be treated as "family" and inherit all the benefits earned by other alts. many games encourage players that way. swtor for example.
    otherwise there is absolutely no point in leveling alts. it takes a week to get an alt to lvl 50 and 1-2 month to get the gear it need. outrageous.

and there no elite grade stfs in therms of rewards for romulan and nukara marks, which annoys even more.

so no more alt for me. not at least another faction will come in to game.
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm just taking it one character at a time. Got one to T5 in Rom and Omega, and T2 in Nukara, then moved on to the next. Second character will be T5/T5/T2 in a week or so. After that I'll move on to a third.

The *cost* isn't an issue, just the annoyance of stacking ground items and the sheer monotony of the same missions and the same projects over and over and over. At what point will I stop? I don't know.
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I actually went the other way when the whole reputation grind started and reduced the number characters.

I used to create a new character for every new ship I bought, tailored it's Boff and Doff crew to them with a unique background. When the rep-system launched, I saw that it'd be never possible to play all of them effectively anymore, so I started deleting, with a big amount of deletions when LoR and Nukara launched. The Romulan faction also saw an end to my Romulan-Alien toon, which kind of lost it's point and fun by then and got whacked as well.

There were 28 characters before, 17 were stripped and deleted. and I've only created a Romulan since then. The only new character I'm ever going to create in the future is when they introduce a new faction, like the Romulans.
  • Options
    earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The rep system has really, no bearing on what I do. If I feel like doing some on the reps, I do. If not, I don't. So it kind of varies from week to week. Main thing I'm heading for, is 1 of each career type/faction, eventually.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"