test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Missing mails after patching.

Comments

• aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited August 2013
    so i log in.. my email thing is blinking.. i open it up and ALL MY EMAIL IS GONE..
    the only emails i have are the sale emails from the exchange.. NO ITEMS OR TEXT EMAILS FROM ANYONE!!..

serious?
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • phyrexianherophyrexianhero Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This is very frustrating. I spent hours yesterday deleting emails and still can't see anything that has been sent in the last 6 weeks.
    Playing since January 2010. STOwiki administrator. Accolade hunter.
    My STOwiki page | Reachable in-game @PhyrexianHero
    Fed Armada: Section 31 (level 730, 2700+ members)
    KDF Armada: Klingon Intelligence (level 699, 2100+ members)
  • brandonbeemishbrandonbeemish Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I also glimpse my mails to alts for a second, then they disappear. Glad to see it's not just me. Also I sent a $5m fleet ship module and it's disappeared, which is perfect.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yeah, my mail seems to be fudged up. It claims I have new mail waiting to be read, but it won't show me said mail. Instead I only see read mail from January at the latest.
  • egaloisegalois Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Each browser game has a better email system... This is so easy (no "delete all" button etc.) and it has still bugs. We are not your beta testers.
  • evs2011evs2011 Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The mail system in this game is absolutely horrendous, sorry. We have no way to manage our mail and yet we're are bombarded with mail in this game? I get less spam in my old email accounts than I get on STO. I have no option to either to prevent the exchange from mailing me every time something is bought or to delete mail en masse.

So now, I'm stuck with viewing mail from march/april 2012, not because I've used mail for excessive storage it's just from getting 10-20 exchange mails per day. I just sent myself some doffs, but now I can't access them...I have to delete over a years worth of spam mail one by one. No guys, that kind of mail system is not fit for purpose. We badly need a management system to properly filter, mass select/delete/read mail and something that indicates how full our mailbox is. Maybe there is a way to have exchange mail (items sold) to autodelete after (say) 30 days?
  • blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You mailbox may be full -- check out these patch notes from a few weeks back and see if it helps: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=795091

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Hi Brandon - Please look into this. First of all, those patch notes say
    "Added a message for when a recipients mailbox is full and when there are too many items in it. This will display if:
    The recipient has 200 emails in their mailbox.
    The recipient has 20 emails in their mailbox with an item attached.
    Emails that originate from the Exchange, a mission or other game systems are not included in these totals.
    The maximum number of auctions that a player can have active on the Exchange at any given time is 40.
    This limit is reduced by one for every returned auction email that is in the player's mailbox."

The actual change was stealth-pushed way back in late May, I believe. The July patch notes to which you referred only said that there will be a message if there are too many items. Which is not the case - I have seen no message.

I was one of the people who lost all my mail in the NEXT stealth patch on 6/20, migration of player-to-player mail to another system with no warning. My items were finally returned to me on 7/11, and slowly but surely I have tried to go through and clean up the mailbox, but it is a slow process when all the subject lines are the same - returned item, etc etc.

(anyone interested, see this post for the long terrible details.)

The only thing that has made the cleanup tolerable is the assurance we received in post 114
    flyingtarg wrote: »
    For the fix we will be performing, the 100 item limit will not be an issue. Rest assured that all of your items will be returned and will be in your mailbox.

This has been true up until the 7/25 patch. My item limit was only on the new emails, I could view all of the 'returned items' mails, sort through them and clean them out. Now all of these 'returned items' mails are lumped in with the view limit.

But - I was able to send stuff to myself, as I was before - I just can't get it anymore. I have no idea how I'm to remedy this now. It was a nightmare before, but at least I could see all of the returned items. Now I just have thousands of queued emails with no way of clearing them out in any kind of logical order.

Once again - the system was changed with no warning, things are being made more difficult by sending those duplicate mails from the exchange, and sorting doesn't make a difference on what you can view. I'm trying really hard to maintain the "it's a game" attitude, but the lack of communication is killing me.

Aliella Hawklight, Divine Oracle Devoted Cleric
    "Whenever a time arises where clarity is desired, it is always wise to reflect on the sage within."
    ― Sereda Aleta Dailey

DaiMon Moogie, U.S.S. Acquisition
    Rule of Acquisition #57: Good customers are as rare as latinum. Treasure them.

STO LTS since launch; NW player since 2014; ARC user - only when I have to put in codes for free stuff :)
  • jeckkeljeckkel Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hi Brandon - Please look into this. First of all, those patch notes say

The actual change was stealth-pushed way back in late May, I believe. The July patch notes to which you referred only said that there will be a message if there are too many items. Which is not the case - I have seen no message.

I was one of the people who lost all my mail in the NEXT stealth patch on 6/20, migration of player-to-player mail to another system with no warning. My items were finally returned to me on 7/11, and slowly but surely I have tried to go through and clean up the mailbox, but it is a slow process when all the subject lines are the same - returned item, etc etc.

(anyone interested, see this post for the long terrible details.)

The only thing that has made the cleanup tolerable is the assurance we received in post 114

This has been true up until the 7/25 patch. My item limit was only on the new emails, I could view all of the 'returned items' mails, sort through them and clean them out. Now all of these 'returned items' mails are lumped in with the view limit.

But - I was able to send stuff to myself, as I was before - I just can't get it anymore. I have no idea how I'm to remedy this now. It was a nightmare before, but at least I could see all of the returned items. Now I just have thousands of queued emails with no way of clearing them out in any kind of logical order.

Once again - the system was changed with no warning, things are being made more difficult by sending those duplicate mails from the exchange, and sorting doesn't make a difference on what you can view. I'm trying really hard to maintain the "it's a game" attitude, but the lack of communication is killing me.
    I havent had an issue until Last Patch and now just get exchange expired emails and for a split second i see item then dissapears cant delete emails and IF Mail is suppose to Be doubled Example: item Expired from Exchange and usually there are 2 same emails 1st one says item returned and 2nd is item. I am only getting 1 email per return and i Agree PW should Implement and Multi-Select/Select All Option in Mail Most MMO's Have it either by intergration or mods however STO Dont use mods. The whole mail thing should of been correctly thought of during creation of Game, If i Helped program it that would of been one of the "MUSTS" that would of been put in and Tested. Please fix PW.
    edited August 2013
    This is a nightmare to try to clean up. And yes, I've been working on it.

At least bring back the HTML interface with everything listed, in order to let us check off more than one mail at a time. This is a nightmare.

"Whenever a time arises where clarity is desired, it is always wise to reflect on the sage within."
    ― Sereda Aleta Dailey

STO LTS since launch; NW player since 2014; ARC user - only when I have to put in codes for free stuff :)
  • ch4kot3ych4kot3y Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I see i'm not the only one who is having the same problem.
    Before the patch i was sending to my other chars mails correctly.
    Then when i came home from a vacation, i saw i have in my account 4 fleet ship modules, and there i didn't need them, so i sent to my other char using this @accname thing,just like i used to do it before my vacation.
    Then i realized i didn't get any, and it didn't even come back to it's place where i sent it.
    This happened 4 days ago, then i submited a ticket (#130824-001355) but then i got regular answer, like i should send mail with sending the mail to the charname@accname , but this isn't help anything.And i even tried this in that day, but the mails are still missing, all of them what i'm sending to me(i didn't try sending email to others).
  • ch4kot3ych4kot3y Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ch4kot3y wrote: »
    I see i'm not the only one who is having the same problem.
    Before the patch i was sending to my other chars mails correctly.
    Then when i came home from a vacation, i saw i have in my account 4 fleet ship modules, and there i didn't need them, so i sent to my other char using this @accname thing,just like i used to do it before my vacation.
    Then i realized i didn't get any, and it didn't even come back to it's place where i sent it.
    This happened 4 days ago, then i submited a ticket (#130824-001355) but then i got regular answer, like i should send mail with sending the mail to the charname@accname , but this isn't help anything.And i even tried this in that day, but the mails are still missing, all of them what i'm sending to me(i didn't try sending email to others).
    After i was deleting a lot of messages from the mail, i finally saw it, sry.:D
  • stherosthero Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Same problem here. The mail icon keeps blinking. I seem to have lost most of my Year 2013 mails. There are many mail items which are missing. I sent a few Datachips to my other toon today, it didnt show up on the mail!!!! :eek:
    I submitted a ticket in-game regarding this issue, now I find the ticket hasn't been registered at all!!! :mad:
    Devs..............we want our mail and items back!!! Pls do something ASAP. Thanks.
    Resistance is Futile.

You Will be Assimilated.

Assimilation is the Key to Happiness.
    :D
  • sheeplikasheeplika Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Cant believe they are doing nothing to help us... I have practically stopped playing game due tot his bug... as I played Kerrat a lot and have been posting lot of loot on exchange... I see no poiint to do so now...
  • philhodgsonphilhodgson Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    sheeplika wrote: »
    Cant believe they are doing nothing to help us... I have practically stopped playing game due tot his bug... as I played Kerrat a lot and have been posting lot of loot on exchange... I see no poiint to do so now...

This is potentially game breaking. I have got a lot of returned items stuck in the mail now - which reduces the amount of slots on the exchange.

I can now only contact my fleet mates when they're on.

This is not some minor issue - and given the amount of people posting about it on here, it is a bug their end - it's not something we're doing wrong.

Come on guys - can we just get an acknowledgement from someone at Cryptic that they're looking into this? We've been without mail for a week now.
  • romeowhiskey4romeowhiskey4 Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    For some time there have been calls to fix the mail system, i.e deleting old mails in one fell swoop, too many mails etc etc. Now this patch seems to have tried to fix the problem, whereby making it worse... if the devs listened to the community months and month ago before trying to crack a walnut with a jackhammer this problem would never have happened. Sorry to say but locking the stable door after the horse has bolted seems to apply here.

I have mails saying my stuff has expired, but they are empty so cannot retrieve the items.

No doubt this will be fixed in a few patches, let's face it, they do eventually get round to it, but seriously... The continual issues here are becoming laughable.
    edited August 2013
    This is potentially game breaking. I have got a lot of returned items stuck in the mail now - which reduces the amount of slots on the exchange.

I can now only contact my fleet mates when they're on.

This is not some minor issue - and given the amount of people posting about it on here, it is a bug their end - it's not something we're doing wrong.

Come on guys - can we just get an acknowledgement from someone at Cryptic that they're looking into this? We've been without mail for a week now.

First - I am NOT defending this in the least. See my earlier post in this thread

But - In their eyes it's not a bug, it's working as intended. :mad:
    I THINK this is what is happening:

Your view is limited to the oldest 300 messages, and there is a limit of how many items can be in attachments in your inbox. (I believe the limit is 125 items or stacks of items - basically, the equivalent of 5 mail messages with all 5 slots filled)

So - let's say you have 5 mails each filled with attachments in your mailbox, and 299 text messages in your mailbox. If an item gets returned from the exchange you get two messages:
    Message #1- says that your item has expired, with the item attached. You can't see this one or retrieve the item, because you're over the attachment limit.

Message #2- says that your item has expired; no attachment. You can see this one, because it doesn't have the attachment, AND you now have the limit of 300 you can view at a time.

Now, if you get another returned item without deleting any mail at all, you won't see either of the messages. You'll have 303 messages (3 over the limit), and 27 attachment slots filled (2 over the limit).

In order to get to your returned items, you have to retrieve at least 2 attachment slots worth of items and delete 3 messages total. Then the newest 2 "returned items" messages will appear. They are queued and the attachments are there, if you can get to them. It does sometimes take a few minutes or more for the mail to process through and count everything, but I can verify that I have had mails queue in after retrieving items and deleting the messages from my mailbox.

― Sereda Aleta Dailey

edited August 2013
    Conjecture-this might be why they're sending 2 mails every time. Supposedly alerting you to the fact that you have items in your mail, which you are not seeing because you already have too many. However - it fills up that "view" quota so quickly it seems to me to be exacerbating the problem.

On top of that - when this double mail thing first started, I tried to delete the message without the item attached first, and it deleted the one with the attachment, leaving the blank one. So I am not about to delete those duplicates without first retrieving the item any more. I'm hoping this is no longer the case. Proceed at your own risk - YRMV

― Sereda Aleta Dailey

edited August 2013
    First - I am NOT defending this in the least. See my earlier post in this thread

But - In their eyes it's not a bug, it's working as intended. :mad:
    I THINK this is what is happening:

Your view is limited to the oldest 300 messages, and there is a limit of how many items can be in attachments in your inbox. (I believe the limit is 125 items or stacks of items - basically, the equivalent of 5 mail messages with all 5 slots filled)

So - let's say you have 5 mails each filled with attachments in your mailbox, and 299 text messages in your mailbox. If an item gets returned from the exchange you get two messages:
    Message #1- says that your item has expired, with the item attached. You can't see this one or retrieve the item, because you're over the attachment limit.

Message #2- says that your item has expired; no attachment. You can see this one, because it doesn't have the attachment, AND you now have the limit of 300 you can view at a time.

Now, if you get another returned item without deleting any mail at all, you won't see either of the messages. You'll have 303 messages (3 over the limit), and 27 attachment slots filled (2 over the limit).

In order to get to your returned items, you have to retrieve at least 2 attachment slots worth of items and delete 3 messages total. Then the newest 2 "returned items" messages will appear. They are queued and the attachments are there, if you can get to them. It does sometimes take a few minutes or more for the mail to process through and count everything, but I can verify that I have had mails queue in after retrieving items and deleting the messages from my mailbox.

But I can't agree it is working as intended. I always cleared my returned items out of my mailbox, I usually deleted mail from fleetmates after I read them and replied to them- I believe I had about five in my inbox prior to this bug.

According to an earlier post by cryptic - "Item sold" mails should not count towards the 300 mail limit. That is all I can see. I cannot delete any of the other e-mails because they are missing.

And as for what I said about losing my slots - that is happening NOW because the weekly limit is now passing, and all of my characters' exchange slot are clearing, and are being dumped into the mail. It wasn't happening before I couldn't access new mails. I would gladly slim down my mail account, but I would barely have time playing the game if I had to delete each and every mail by hand.

I understand they need to toughen up the rules. Put a 30-day rule on all e-mails, meaning they'll be deleted unless you specifically save them - items or no.
    edited August 2013
    Okay - here is exactly the problem.

I've just spent an hour I won't get back going through the e-mails of every single toon I have, and I have deleted all but the "Item Sold" messages (which we have been told do not count towards the 300 limit.

I have deleted every single "Item returned mail" (none of which curiously contained any returned items). These were apparently unique to each toon, so each one had a whole bunch that needed deleting.

By the end the only thing in my inbox was "Item Sold" e-mails dating from approx June 30-July 16, which were accessible from every toon. I then sat and deleted all of these e-mails through to July 10.

Now I have an inbox full of "Item Sold" from July 10 - August 1.

Therefore, the "item sold" mails must be counting towards the 300 mail limit. They're not supposed to.

That is the problem Cryptic - seems fairly straight forward. Could someone please comment on this?
  • jeckkeljeckkel Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ok i have same issue and 1st i submitted a bug report , then i submitted 2 GM tickets going on 3 days with no response and before patch no issue now all expired exchange email is locked up and items missing, i would say around 30+ Very rare items missing. I have been playing this game sense Beta and i am a LTS, I have spent ALOT of money on this game and now it is FTP and they still selling subs how much more is the STO community going to take???? Imagine if everyone playing just stopped where would STO be at then. insteid of fixing small issues like Ground weapons the real issues need attention First as the Mail being one of the important ones. Every MMO i have played that uses a MAIL system dont have serious issues like this and if they did it would be quickly fixed considering thats how the player base makes their currency and considering in the actual ST Lore they DONT use any currency except GPL to traders so if their is going to be a Mail System it should always have a High priority. As it is i cant delete anything and my fleet cant send me mail so if there is a LIMIT problem how am i expected to to remedy the issue if I cant delete anything. If issues cant be fixed without causing even more issues maybe it is time to rethink the programming structure. I have more then paid my dues for this game and there are ALOT of people still paying Monthly subs for the Benefits on a game that is FTP and now is very unstable. So come on Guys dont let this game go down the tubes and just a FYI Startrek fan base is one of the largest world wide, everyone who has a love for star trek will love this game but not if it is filled with broken code that takes forever to fix. So for a minute put yourselves in our (STO Community) Shoes how would u feel about all of it and when u think it is getting better it takes a major 180.....
  • andrestartrekandrestartrek Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    After this http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=758111

I am again missing mail, most if not all is part of the 'Lost and Found' that where send from the previous problem. Also I cant receive any mail and I don't have new mail with items after all my Lost and Found mail, so that cant be the issue.

Also I send 4-5 days ago a fleet mail on 3 fleets and I got a lot of reply's back from the system that mailboxes where full. What let me think, a lot op people are not receiving my fleet mail. At least me is not receiving my own send fleet mail, so others didn't either.

So this all let me to think there is AGAIN a mail bug.
  • matrix0matrix0 Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You can only read/access to a certain # of email in the box. I'm not sure how many though. Therefore, you need to delete some. All your mails are still there, but you can't just see them.

My mailbox got spam by the exchange. I couldn't see anything until I deleted them, closed the mailbox and opened it again.
    edited August 2013
    That is not the case, I dont have any exchange mail on any of my chars.
  • auriciusauricius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

You probably have over 300 mails including the return mails, since you said you packed quite a lot of stuff up. Try deleting non-important messages and start clearing out your returned items, that way the other 'non-visible' mail will keep appearing as you get rid of the ones you actually see.
  • matrix0matrix0 Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited August 2013

It's just an example. I'm not saying that exchange mails cause the problem. I'm just saying that I cant read any other mails because my mailbox was over a certain number.
  • stupidconversionstupidconversion Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I wouldn't call this "working as intended." Maybe "broken as intended."

Not looking forward to literally hours of clumsy e-mail management to get to an item or two just returned or sent.

Effectively, for me, the e-mail system is completely down until I can take a day to fix this new problem.

Applying limits before improving management definitely makes things worse and not better.

It's not putting the cart before the horse, it's putting the horse in the cart and shouting at it because it won't go.

Edit: I just noticed this also apparently includes Champions and presumably Neverwinter e-mails, some of which contain items and can't be deletd from STO.

So I have to delete X hundreds of emails logged into two or three different games.

Good job.
    edited August 2013
    Okay - here is exactly the problem.

I've just spent an hour I won't get back going through the e-mails of every single toon I have, and I have deleted all but the "Item Sold" messages (which we have been told do not count towards the 300 limit.

I have deleted every single "Item returned mail" (none of which curiously contained any returned items). These were apparently unique to each toon, so each one had a whole bunch that needed deleting.

By the end the only thing in my inbox was "Item Sold" e-mails dating from approx June 30-July 16, which were accessible from every toon. I then sat and deleted all of these e-mails through to July 10.

Now I have an inbox full of "Item Sold" from July 10 - August 1.

Therefore, the "item sold" mails must be counting towards the 300 mail limit. They're not supposed to.

That is the problem Cryptic - seems fairly straight forward. Could someone please comment on this?

Thank you for doing all that work to prove it - this IS the bug. I have spent truly hours going through my mailbox, but mine doesn't have all that many item returned or item sold mails so I really couldn't tell if this was the case.

Another bug is that the July 18 patch notes said:
    Added a message for when a recipients mailbox is full and when there are too many items in it.
    There is no message that the mailbox is full, nor any message that there are too many items in it. And no - I haven't turned off ANY messages. I've never seen it.

Also, deleted 'returned item' duplicate mails (the ones with no attachments) won't delete, until after you close the mailbox and reopen.

I am filing bug reports listing these three items specifically. I urge everyone to do the same.

THESE CHANGES SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN PUSHED OUT WITHOUT WARNING. I've been dealing with the effects of these stealth mail patches since late May and still the only patch notes regarding them was a note saying they were putting in messages about it - a couple of months after the changes. And there is no message. :mad:

― Sereda Aleta Dailey

• stupidconversionstupidconversion Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yeah, the "includes e-mail from other games" bug definitely breaks the "have to delete hundreds of e-mails one at a time to get the e-mail you just sent" minigame.

Can I opt out of that minigame?
    edited September 2013
    Lets bump this topic before cryptic forget us.
  • fcsp1910fcsp1910 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    ...would love to swap my 'The 107' title for a fully working mail system.

Living with this bug for 2 weeks now. Logging in only every 2 days now, keeping my doffs busy. Not keen playing this game with such a handicap in the moment.

Looks like Cryptic/PWE wants me to look for other options to keep me busy in my freetime...