test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

4ever Load Times

thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
I'm giving this bug a name "4ever Load Times". Woot. When I press the play button, I takes like... 2-5 minutes to load. It's really frustrating and it really needs to be fixed in the next patch.
I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm giving this bug a name "4ever Load Times". Woot. When I press the play button, I takes like... 2-5 minutes to load. It's really frustrating and it really needs to be fixed in the next patch.

There was already a thread about this, but, yes, I agree. It should be a top priority along with the maps that got borked.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    crypticfrostcrypticfrost Member Posts: 1,479 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2013
    Under investigation.
    STO QA Team
  • Options
    redshirtdownredshirtdown Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Seems to be getting worse: the map load times are even longer than before. Pretty much kills the mood to make a mission. :(
  • Options
    pardusian141pardusian141 Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My strategy: click play map and then go watch part of a Doctor Who episode. Slowly working my way through season 12 while working on a foundry project.
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Completely agree if they do nothing else the next patch cept go thru and streamline all of the code for load times I would be absolutely happy.

It takes forever just for me to get into my bridge and to load into the foundry missions.

Startup times are only the tip of the iceberg.
  • Options
    painkillerjaynepainkillerjayne Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hi all! :D

I think I may have figured out why certain outdoor maps are taking forever to load. I've been fighting all day with map preview weirdness (and 4ever load times), and I eventually noticed something:

I was using a pre-made outdoor map to create a custom level (Alien Clearing 01). My "base" elevation was set to 1200, but my toon and boff spawns were acting very wonky. Drogyn pointed out to me that certain maps have a "ceiling" and suggested I drop my elevation. I did so, but wasn't really happy with it because of windows in my walls. You could see the ground just by looking out...not acceptable.

So, I copy/pasted my work to new maps, tested it at 1200 elevation, then moved on when my spawns didn't work right. Each time it was taking 3-5 minutes to load the map preview. Then, I got to "Alpine Mountains 01". The 1200 elevation worked just fine with my spawns...and lo and behold the map preview was loading in like 15-20 seconds! I think perhaps something has happened to the ceiling cap on outdoor maps. I've loaded the map preview several times now and it loads quickly each time.

In my copy/pasting to different outdoor maps I noticed that some of them would drop the elevation number to as low as 150, even when I tried to enter 1200. Some of them would let me go to 1200, but would cause spawning issues after that. Someone else should give it a go and let us know if that's the problem (at least for outdoor maps used for custom levels).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Command Officers of the USS Wyvern (from left to right):
    Aurellia Eshkah (Tactical); Indigo Shae (Engineering); Nysiay Chysiayki (VA, Ship Captain)
    Jeclia Sek (Science); Vally Mantivour (Security)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    This seems to have improved for me today, even though I doubt there is anyone working on it on a Sunday.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    redshirtdownredshirtdown Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »
    This seems to have improved for me today, even though I doubt there is anyone working on it on a Sunday.

Ooh, huge improvement, maps load almost instantly now! Me VERY happy. :)
  • Options
    smilegcb2#3786 smilegcb2 Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yes, but how many time ?

Now maps load very very low ! (Before load instantly)

Thanks to solve it ...
  • Options
    novapolaris#2925 novapolaris Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This issue also seems to be affecting published missions. The last few times that I have played a Foundry mission, it has also hung for good lengths of time on loading each map. Is this related, or a separate issue with the same effect?
  • Options
    amahoodamahood Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

it is taking loads of time to load!!! (when it doesn't crash instead)..this makes me sad...
  • Options
    painkillerjaynepainkillerjayne Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Nevermind... :(

After working wonderfully all night last night it was back to slow loading this morning.

I've gotten to the point where I now place a large number of items (at least ten), make notes on what I just placed, go to preview, and then make more notes on adjustments needed.

Placing one or two items then going to preview just doesn't cut it right now...

On a brighter note, however, I'm only getting "login failed due to unknown reason" once or twice now before it loads my mission! :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Command Officers of the USS Wyvern (from left to right):
    Aurellia Eshkah (Tactical); Indigo Shae (Engineering); Nysiay Chysiayki (VA, Ship Captain)
    Jeclia Sek (Science); Vally Mantivour (Security)
  • Options
    amahoodamahood Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

On a brighter note, however, I'm only getting "login failed due to unknown reason" once or twice now before it loads my mission! :P

that's sad when that's a good thing....:( why not have the foundry be installable like is said here:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=11025341&posted=1#post11025341
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I just had a 8 minute load screen on a map that has one object.

Edit: I just can't work this way. I spent 2 hours tonight building in the Foundry. 5 objects placed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Hooray, I can build again. Load times are beautiful this morning.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited June 2013
    I wonder if its tied to server load. I'd have to guess there are fewer people playing and/or building in the North American morning hours than there are in the North American evening hours. Just a guess though, as our morning might be peak time for Europe or Asia/Australia.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    I wonder if its tied to server load. I'd have to guess there are fewer people playing and/or building in the North American morning hours than there are in the North American evening hours. Just a guess though, as our morning might be peak time for Europe or Asia/Australia.

Sigh, I was experiencing 30 second load times, until I just hit a 5 minute loading screen. It seems to be the worst when I add a new object to a map. I wonder if it is calculating pathing or something, but it doesn't have to do that when I'm just tweaking or adding additional props that already exist on the map.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    for me its taking about 4 minuets 30 seconds to load a map, doesn't matter if there's stuff on it or is a ground or space map
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Under investigation.

Any news on this Frost? It's been a month.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    crypticfrostcrypticfrost Member Posts: 1,479 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Any news on this Frost? It's been a month.

I've been looking at this and I'm still not able to reproduce the extreme load times that you guys are reporting. I am seeing an increase in load times the more one switches between map preview and the editor.

There should be some other fixes for Foundry performance that are still working their way through the build process and so haven't made it live yet.

My hope is that we'll see improvement over the next few weeks, but as usual I can't promise anything.
    STO QA Team
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    My Foundry performance has been noticeably improved for the last week and a half. However, there are still times when preview does seem to take longer than others.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I've been looking at this and I'm still not able to reproduce the extreme load times that you guys are reporting. I am seeing an increase in load times the more one switches between map preview and the editor.

There should be some other fixes for Foundry performance that are still working their way through the build process and so haven't made it live yet.

My hope is that we'll see improvement over the next few weeks, but as usual I can't promise anything.

Thanks Frost, I also notice that it takes longer and longer the more that I switch between preview and creator. I have to do it more than once per object, unless I'm building a map with a calculator.

By the 5th or 6th time, It's taking 3 to 4 minutes to preview a map.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sampa4sampa4 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013

I presume you mean when you are testing maps and/or your entire mission from the editor, right? If so, then I am also suffering this bug! In fact, I have completely stopped work on my upcoming series because of it!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    sampa4 wrote: »
    I presume you mean when you are testing maps and/or your entire mission from the editor, right? If so, then I am also suffering this bug! In fact, I have completely stopped work on my upcoming series because of it!

There is now a work around for this. See this thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This isn't just happening in the foundry for me. It's happening when i load into the dilithium mines, when I get into an STF when I load into my bridge it's really annoying. Why is it we can load really quickly between areas on the fleet turbolift but we have to wait forever on everything else? Shouldn't someone over there be looking into this?
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited September 2013
    Good news, authors! The fix for this should go live with this week's maintenance. We are currently testing the fix on Tribble if you'd like to jump over and check it out. Thanks for your patience as we worked to resolve the issue.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    soriedemsoriedem Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    WooT! Thank you so much!
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Good news, authors! The fix for this should go live with this week's maintenance. We are currently testing the fix on Tribble if you'd like to jump over and check it out. Thanks for your patience as we worked to resolve the issue.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I literally started clapping at my computer when I read this. I can't wait to cross it off the master bug list. :D
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited September 2013
    Hooray! Off to test this now.

One small thing. I noticed this is nowhere to be found in the Tribble patch notes. Could you please impress on whomever should be getting this info to coldsnapped to please do so, so that we may be properly joyful at these fixes and test them without you having to stop by and tell us they are there. /rant
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I am happy, but I would like to point BF's and Frost's attention to this:

We got this fix like 2-3 working days after Overmeyer of the core team learned about it during an interview. Whatever you and Frost are doing to communicate with a "team" is not getting to the top of that team.

I'm going to start posting my bug reports on STO's Foundry on the NW forums. Please improve your chain of communication. From our perspective, this went unfixed for a long, long time until the head of Core Foundry was made aware of it. Then it was fixed in less than 5 days over a holiday weekend.

So, thank you very much for the fix. Improve your chain of communication, please.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.