test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Orion Toons

peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
I was playing my Orion Character today and I was running around the first city when I noticed something interesting. None of the other Orion's players running around were male. Now I play a female Orion female myself so whatever, but as I thought about it, I don't recall ever having seen male orion in game who wasn't an npc or someones bridge officer.

Anyone else find this little statistic just a little bit telling. lol
It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
Post edited by peetapipmac on

Comments

• Options
    displayname707displayname707 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Think Ive seen 1 orion male... ( I have a female orion too =) )
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I find it even more telling that, in any given location with KDF players, the majority are Orion females.

Some scoff at me when I state the obvious: the Klingon Empire has come under Orion control. I make this assertion not only because of the apparent greater numbers of players of Orions, but also (and more relevantly) due to the STO storyline and information from canon. I have explained at length in the past:
    protogoth wrote: »
    But fwiw, I wouldn't worry too much about being allied with the Klingons:

For the year 2394, "The Path to 2409" says:
    Chancellor J'mpok of the Klingon High Council moves to cement his position by launch the negotiations with Melani D'ian of the Orion Syndicate into high gear.

"Martok was interested in the secrets she claimed to offer, but he knew that any agreement with the Syndicate would be difficult," said Tag Morkek, a political analyst for the Tellar News Service who specializes in Klingon affairs. "The Emerald Empress is slippery. Melani's idea of 'truth' can change from minute to minute.

"Still, J'mpok's House is weak. He's going to need support if he wants to stay in power." Federation informants inside the Klingon Empire say that the House of J'mpok, which is one of the smallest of the Great Houses, is being pressured by the House of Martok and its allies. J'mpok's rapid rise to the Chancellorship has improved the House's prospects, but it lacks resources and ships and its lands in the Pheben system are poor.

"The only thing keeping the House of Martok from declaring open war is Drax," said one anonymous source. "Once he recovers from his wounds, it's only a matter of time." When that happens, however, J'mpok may have the Orion Syndicate fighting at his side. On Stardate 71283.12, Melani D'ian meets J'mpok in person on Ter'jas Mor. After four days of negotiations, the two agree to sign a non-aggression and mutual defense pact.

In exchange for the Syndicate's allegiance, the Klingon Empire will provide them with ships and weapons. In addition, Melani D'ian further agreed to share technology and information with the Klingons in exchange for a planet in Klingon space that the Orions can rule as a vassal state.

"Having access to the Syndicate information network could be a huge advantage for the Empire," Tag said. "Klingon Intelligence is good, but they're not everywhere like the Syndicate is."

The Federation Council condemns the new alliance as support for criminals, and Starfleet Command vows to continue pursuing and shutting down Syndicate operations in Federation space. "There's nothing in the Khitomer Accords that say we need to stand by and let allies of the Klingons sell illegal substances, raid our commercial transports and traffic in restricted technology."

In fact, reviews of Starfleet reports show that Syndicate traffic has increased significantly since Melani D'ian seized control.

Melani has ruthlessly purged anyone she deems "untrustworthy," and fused the remaining Orions into a unified organization that answers to her alone.

"She's dangerous," admitted Admiral Jorel Quinn on an episode of the Federation News Service program Illuminating the City of Light. "Before, the Syndicate was controllable because there were multiple leaders competing for influence and power. Now Starfleet Command has to dedicate more resources to keeping them in check."

As a gift to celebrate their new alliance, Melani sends 1,500 Orion women to be servants in the Great Houses on Qo'noS.

Melani herself settles into an estate on Ter'jas Mor, and the remaining Orions still on the Orion homeworld make plans to emigrate by the end of 2394.

What is important to note in this plethora of information is this bit:

"As a gift to celebrate their new alliance, Melani sends 1,500 Orion women to be servants in the Great Houses on Qo'noS."

This is important to note due to the following CANONICAL information:

In 2154 some Enterprise crewmembers wound up as commodities themselves at a processing station on Verex III. When Captain Archer expressed surprise that the Orions would sell their own kind, Arik Soong told him the females were "known for their extreme appetites, their innate skills". The Verex market's Orion slaver had even sold his last wife. (ENT: "Borderland")

Later that year the secret of the Orion slave girls' irresistiblity was discovered when the slave sisters Navaar, D'Nesh, and Maras were presented to Captain Archer, ostensibly to improve relations between Earth and the Orions. Their presence became a major distraction to the crew of the Enterprise due ? it turned out ? to the powerful pheromones which they were releasing. It was revealed that Orion females were not enslaved at all, but rather the enslavers, and the sisters were active agents in a plot to capture the Enterprise for their Syndicate. (ENT: "Bound")

-- Source

The information I have presented really should result in an inescapable conclusion (if one is capable of Logic, and no, I don't mean Vulcan non-violent/anti-emotion mysticism) and really should be obvious enough as to not require me to state the ONLY logical conclusion to be derived from the information: the Klingon Empire is now under the control of the Orions.

Who doesn't like Orions? Okay, maybe some Boy Scout types in the Federation's Starfleet, but when has anyone ever paid any attention to them?
  • Options
    auriciusauricius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    My KDF main is a tactical Orion male.
  • Options
    fredscarranfredscarran Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The Orion Male has a melee offensive attribute.
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I've seen a few male Orions around. Rare, but they're out there. I finally saw one in a full KHG outfit (sans helmet) and it was pretty cool. I thought for a while about rolling a male Orion, but went with Gorn instead. :P
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Of course there are less Orion males, Orion women are mostly holding them back from joining the KDF.
  • Options
    rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Surprised?

First: know that the majority of the players is male.
    Know comes the answer, for which I'll requote somebody in the game.
    It's more fun for me to run around watching a girl's TRIBBLE than watching a guy.

There's your answer.
  • Options
    omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I play an Orion Male. I do how ever have 6 Orion Female bridge officers or as I like to call them my harem.

On a more serious note I'm male, but when I see female Orions I assume most, but not all are being played by men, which is cool its always good to walk a mile in some one elses shoes.

When I see the rare Male Orion I assume its probably a female player whose tired of being bugged by dudes. I Myself am obviously an exception to this rule.

He still has the seduce trait. I figure producing more powerful pheromones is like lactation in males, its rare, but does occur.

And I agree, the Orions does control the empire completely, but thier influence is growing by leaps and bounds, and I also agree that thier influence is strongest on the house of Jempok who depends on thier support, but no doubt the Synidicate has done favours and aligned operatives with each of the Great Houses including the House of Martok.

So while the Gorn have a not voting seat on the high council, the Syndicate no doubt has massive influence and may control several or more Great Houses, which have voting seats on the high council.

Also I have a feeling the reason King Slithris wasn't executed in normal Klingon tradition of killing governement leaders is the influence of the Orion Syndicate, which King Slathris now owes a major favour too.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Are you really surprised by that? The majority of players are young males that like to see half naked females. Many people also "bleach" their orion females to look like humans, so, yeah no surprise here ;)

btw: My Klingon toon commands a orion-free vessel Boff and Doff wise and any orion doffs I get are executed the moment they step on my Vor'cha :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    rahmkota19 wrote: »
    Surprised?

First: know that the majority of the players is male.
    Know comes the answer, for which I'll requote somebody in the game.

There's your answer.
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Are you really surprised by that? The majority of players are young males that like to see half naked females. Many people also "bleach" their orion females to look like humans, so, yeah no surprise here ;)

btw: My Klingon toon commands a orion-free vessel Boff and Doff wise and any orion doffs I get are executed the moment they step on my Vor'cha :D

Yeah I still don't get that. I mean let's play a species then go out of our way to remove its most destrinct and defining physical feature so they look human. I absolutely hate it, but whatever floats peoples boats.

My Orions both PC and Boffs are shades of green aka real proper Orions, not sad human wannabes.

I mean it's like creating a spotless Trill, A Vulcan with round ears, or a Betaziod with baby blue eyes. Its not startrek and they look aweful.

If your not green or blueish green at least your not playing an Orion, your playing a human.

Okay I've finally vented on that pet peeve, sorry if I offended anyone, but it had to be said.

Anyone else feel the same way?.
  • Options
    commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I play an Orion Male. I do how ever have 6 Orion Female bridge officers or as I like to call them my harem.

siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The majority of people playing Orion Females is obviously are Male and I wouldn't be surprised that the majority of people playing Orion Males are Female for the same reason why Males play Orion Females.
  • Options
    kaevwrynnkaevwrynn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I had an Orion male until I reused that slot to make a Ferengi (who will be replaced with a Reman once my Gorn unlocks tier 5 Romulan rep). Then again, I also tend to have at least one Orion woman on my bridge crews.

With my Vulcan's diplomacy boff, I justify it as the Orion femme being the least thuggish of the available officers and, as a Vulcan, he is immune to her pheromones, while the rest of the (mostly female, with the exception of the Reman, Breen, and Jem'Hadar) bridge crew are equally immune. Well, supposing other Vulcanoids are immune.

On my Gorn's ship, I justify it as my Gorn, being cold-blooded and massive (more space for dispersal), also being immune. No real basis for that like with the Vulcan, but I figure a cold-blooded fellow will be 'immune' to the pheromones of a warm-blooded species.

Anyway, yeah. Played an Orion male mostly because while it would be more 'fun' to stare at a shapely, green, bikini-clad butt as I run around ground maps... I'd just feel awkward playing a female character when I have the option to be male. Besides, most stuff is in space. :p
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Yeah I still don't get that. I mean let's play a species then go out of our way to remove its most destrinct and defining physical feature so they look human. I absolutely hate it, but whatever floats peoples boats.

My Orions both PC and Boffs are shades of green aka real proper Orions, not sad human wannabes.

I mean it's like creating a spotless Trill, A Vulcan with round ears, or a Betaziod with baby blue eyes. Its not startrek and they look aweful.

If your not green or blueish green at least your not playing an Orion, your playing a human.

Okay I've finally vented on that pet peeve, sorry if I offended anyone, but it had to be said.

Anyone else feel the same way?.

My Orion char Navar is odd in that 1. She is green and 2. She doesn't go into battle wearing bikinis.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh
    Did you expect something else from someone with a name like that ? :D

Anyway, I don't have an Orion male. Or female. My only Orion BOFF is on my fed tac, and she wear a pant, and a winter coat. I don't need STO to see half naked women, and that's not the reason why I'm playing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    captainednacaptainedna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    you can make orion male toons? :confused: thought its like the gorn...
  • Options
    pigeonofclaypigeonofclay Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    The majority of people playing Orion Females is obviously are Male and I wouldn't be surprised that the majority of people playing Orion Males are Female for the same reason why Males play Orion Females.

And a majority of those Orion females are probably Undine in disguise! :P

(Of course, this brings up the question of whether an Undine disguised as an Orion still could produce the same pheromones as a real Orion...)
  • Options
    similonsimilon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I've seen several orion males. The main reason I've heard people citing for playing one is the ability to walk around bare chested. This seems to be very important to seem people, Just look at the Skyrim forums pre-release.

Personally, I disapprove of the bolting metal plates on the men folk. I use quite a few male orion Boffs, since I think they fit that role well - If only I could but them in suits...

I agree with those who disapprove of Orions disguised as humies. Not to say I think they shouldn't, just that I don't think it's the best decision ;)

My only problems with female characters are:
    a) The players.
    Specifically those who decide to give them, exaggerated, proportions. I lost count of the number of female characters with TRIBBLE bigger than their heads in my first 5 minutes on ESD. Plus all the impossibly skinny ones. It'd make sense if they were Elves from D&D, but when a woman is 6 ft. tall with the build of a 13 yr old (with half a stone of silicon), something is just a bit off.
    b) The feasibility.
    (This applies to a lot of male characters too really)
    I'm not saying it's unfeasible that women would be progressing through starfleet, that's all perfectly reasonable. But when your 5 ft 6 woman, of slight build roundhouse kicks a 12 ft gorn some 30 ft into the distance, somethings a bit off ;) This isn't helped by the scaling of the weapons. Although to be fair, the only reason the male characters get away with it is because they're all 7 ft tall and addicted to steroids.

Which is another hatred of mine - I see so many male starfleet captains who are almost as wide as they are tall! Without wanting to generalise, I do have to say it's usually the newer players that do this. And the ones who look like they haven't come to terms with the customisation in game (running around in tacky looking sierra uniforms and such). And don't get me started on the Aliens!

In general, I'd say less than 1 in 20 people I see has a well thought out character design. I am being slightly hypocritical here, since my Fed sci is unrealistically slim, but that's simply because I can't be bothered to redo all her uniforms...

Anyway, jumping back to the main topic, in a few months you'll be able to put your humies, trill and vulcans in bikinis, so all those orion women are gonna start feeling neglected. Who'd want a She-orc when you can have someone with sexy spots? :P
    edited September 2013
    similon wrote: »
    In general, I'd say less than 1 in 20 people I see has a well thought out character design. I am being slightly hypocritical here, since my Fed sci is unrealistically slim, but that's simply because I can't be bothered to redo all her uniforms...

Character customization isn't something a lot of people put much effort into. Not everyone is a diehard like me. :D
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Another reason is that Orion Females are rather Iconic, males not so much.
    In fact except for TAS we didn't even get too see Orion males in the flesh until Enterprise.

Personally, my main Federation character is a male liberated borg, made to resemble me, and I use a natural and normal body build.
    My main KDF character is an Orion female that wears a hybrid orion/Klingon outfit when she's not donning her Elite Honor Guard costume.
    On her I have spent many hours tweaking and trying to make look unique, attractive, and believable.
    And contrary to many players I have actually reduced the chest slider. :P
    And to top it off she has a large scar over her right eye, to add to her character as an honorable warrior. :D
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Character customization isn't something a lot of people put much effort into. Not everyone is a diehard like me. :D

Indeed, I have all my characers realistically proportioned.
  • Options
    similonsimilon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013

I can understand that - but can't they just leave them as defaults? Do they have to go out of their way to make them repulsive? :confused:
    edited September 2013
    you can make orion male toons? :confused: thought its like the gorn...

Feels like that sometimes.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    it's typically amongst reptilians for the females to be larger..... all those really huge burly Gorn are actually the women.
  • Options
    theroyalfamilytheroyalfamily Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    And contrary to many players I have actually reduced the chest slider. :P

Even the min chest slider is too big for some of my characters. Though I think it's mostly the Federation standard push-up bra:P
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    angrytarg wrote: »

Egregious assumption! :mad:

I'm not young anymore!
  • Options
    binebanebinebane Member Posts: 557 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    and that is a sad thing since STO character customization is really great.
  • Options
    yaisuke15yaisuke15 Member Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Waiting until I get the highest diplomatic rank so I can get an enemy faction Boff. Hopefully it'll be an Orion female. Course, my Andorian First Officer isn't going to like it when I oogle the new girl instead of her anymore. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Look at me I'm a target!"
    "Fire the Lance on my mark... MARK!
    "How many times have we gone into the breach again R'shee?"
    My proposal for a Galaxy bundle
  • Options
    zulisvelzulisvel Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    My KDF main is one of the apparently rare male Orions. The third character I ever made and the second one I got to level cap.
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    We're obviously all perverts. It's the only conclusive conclusion. ;)
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222