test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

TRIBBLE "Steam"...

sandyquicksandyquick Member Posts: 18 Arc User
Listen to me Cryptic. I know you have a ton of bugs to fix and egads, another season of content to write. Personally, I would just like to know "WHY" I have to get steam and pay them for the privilege of having the steamrunner class. I live to accrue and build starships, so... Be a pal and get me a C-store option Here.
Isn't ARC enough? I installed that thing. I don't want it, But I have it.
Do I have to have steam too?
just make a steamrunner class available.

P.S. also, a FLEET chimera class destroyer and a T5 Connie,

thank you for your time

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes
Post edited by sandyquick on

Comments

• Options
    kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • Options
    twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You don't have to install steam to get the steamrunner, right? Just use the website method to buy and add the retail key that gives you. I'm sure there's a way to get that key in a browser too...

And you most definitely don't need to keep running the game through steam, even if you installed it through steam. I know I open the GameClient.exe directly, for one.

Also, you don't get ARC if you install through Steam, right? Just install through steam, copy gamefolder, de-install steam and you have neither platform, but do have the game. Or am I imagining things again?
  • Options
    eulifdaviseulifdavis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    twam wrote: »
    You don't have to install steam to get the steamrunner, right? Just use the website method to buy and add the retail key that gives you. I'm sure there's a way to get that key in a browser too...

Incorrect. Steam will not, under any circumstances, reveal your key(s) to you until you begin installing the game through the Steam client.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cvoid666cvoid666 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    eulifdavis wrote: »
    Incorrect. Steam will not, under any circumstances, reveal your key(s) to you until you begin installing the game through the Steam client.

So buy it through steam, get the key, redeem the key, uninstall steam, and then have a nice life?

A pain yes but its not like you will have to use steam after you purchase the key from them.
  • Options
    cptkirkjt10cptkirkjt10 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2013
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    sandyquick wrote: »
    Listen to me Cryptic. I know you have a ton of bugs to fix and egads, another season of content to write. Personally, I would just like to know "WHY" I have to get steam and pay them for the privilege of having the steamrunner class. I live to accrue and build starships, so... Be a pal and get me a C-store option Here.

thank you for your time

Steamrunner Class ships, T1 and T5.5, are available as part of a marketing Pack deal with Steam. This is no different then having exclusive items in boxsets. Cryptic is contractually bound by the deal they made with Steam until said deal expires.

Getting the pack through Steam is no big deal. You would have to install steam and begin the STO download after purchasing the Pack to get to the Key Code. You do not have to download the whole game, or keep steam installed afterwards if that is what you want. Then once you have the Key Code just go to the STO website and redeem the key.

Depending on your internet speed the whole thing takes less than 5 minutes.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It's a promotional item, designed to get some attention for STO amongst Steam users. I wouldn't expect it to become non-Steam exclusive until/unless the deal they made with Valve expires.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    cvoid666 wrote: »
    So buy it through steam, get the key, redeem the key, uninstall steam, and then have a nice life?

A pain yes but its not like you will have to use steam after you purchase the key from them.

This works just fine. I do have steam, but don't have STO running out of it, and I had no trouble picking up the Steamrunner when it was on sale under $10 last year.

If the default launcher goes away, though, Steam becomes the superior option: It has a lower resource footprint than Arc and does not utilize your PC as a node to distribute updates.
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    hevach wrote: »
    If the default launcher goes away, though, Steam becomes the superior option: It has a lower resource footprint than Arc and does not utilize your PC as a node to distribute updates.

This. Not to mention if one so chooses they can completely neuter Steam's access to their machine.
  • Options
    twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Or make a shortcut to the client .exe from the steam folder and boot the game without booting steam, for that matter.
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited August 2013
    If the steamrunner was in the Cstore i would own one as well

until then

No
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    jellico1 wrote: »
    If the steamrunner was in the Cstore i would own one as well

until then

No
    You'll be waiting as long as people have waited for a TR-116A, then. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    captainednacaptainedna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    You'll be waiting as long as people have waited for a TR-116A, then. :)

So...

ASDB Lockbox?
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    DL steam, buy ship, put code, delete steam,fly ship till game dies...profit
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    So...

ASDB Lockbox?
    My point was the ship is tied up in a license and will be so for a prolonged period of time. You'll probably be waiting years, as we have been for the gun - which is also tied up in a license.
  • Options
    jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited August 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    fly ship till game dies...profit

Somehow that doesnt sound like profit to me.

Anyway on topic... I do not see what the big deal about running steam is, Norton antivirus uses more system resources than Steam does and millions of people use it even though there are several better options. Steam used to be a problem when processors couldnt handle as much and ram was limited and expensive. today i have 32 gigs of ram and can have any game on the market i can think of completely loaded into ram and have plenty of extra.

But STO is not a Steam game and it can be ran without Steam so even using Steam to download and install then get the code for the ship is easy enough to do so quit your crying about it.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    sandyquick wrote: »

thank you for your time

It's what is known in retail as an exclusive..... as there is likely a financial component between steam and cryptic on that, the chances of you seeing it as a c-store is between nil and none.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Get Steam, get Streamrunner.
    Stop using Steam and Streamrunner is still on your Ships List to get.

• Options
    ladyinferno2010ladyinferno2010 Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'll never understand people's hate of Steam. It might be one of the greatest things ever made.

Origin, on the other hand, yeah, I could see that one. :)
  • Options
    cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'll never understand people's hate of Steam. It might be one of the greatest things ever made....

I dont know about the 'greatest' per say...but I do enjoy the incredible sales they have.

gotten some 5 star games for five bucks thru them.
    edited August 2013
    cgta1967 wrote: »
    I dont know about the 'greatest' per say...but I do enjoy the incredible sales they have.

gotten some 5 star games for five bucks thru them.

I think I got New Vegas for $2.50.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Steam makes me broke......but with great savings. :(
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,022 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    I got the Collector's Edition, so I wasn't running STO through Steam at the time. It was connected to it so I can take screenshots, but it wasn't a Steam copy.
    I got the Steamrunner when it was $10, started a dl of STO, perma paused it, got me code. Now I haz Steamrunner and the special Team Fortress console. Very useful even if you don't fly the Steamrunner.
    And Steam does have great deals every once in a while.

===post above is by rattler2===

EDIT: The Steamrunner is a Steam exclusive -- in order to obtain it, you'll need to purchase it via Steam. Due to the flaming and trolling in this thread, it's being shut down. -Brandon
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
This discussion has been closed.