test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why everyone who bought the scimitar feels disriminated ?

shinzonisbackshinzonisback Member Posts: 330
edited September 2013 in Romulan Discussion
Why everyone who bought the scimitar feels discriminated ?
I saw everywhere threads of protest against this ship.

Someone complains about the Thalaron Pulse, someone else complains about it being so squishy.

why you bought it ?
I love the Scimitar, I started as a romulan only to get a Scimitar, but when they released it, i didn't bought it.

I knew it wasn't a good ship.
Too squishy, too big and with low turn rate.

it is probably one of the worst ship in the game, and I knew it.
I said it about 20 times in various threads, but no one believed me.
Italian Player - Forgive my bad English

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by shinzonisback on

Comments

• aliensamongusaliensamongus Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    That escalated quickly.

I bought it because I'm Reman and I want to fulfill a theme of rebellion. Shinzon gave a spread of inspiration throughout the Reman and showed everyone they're more than slaves and shock troops.

Also, if you want a challenge, buy this ship and become a tactical marvel - hitting those key moments with the Pulse.

Squishy? Nope. People just expect to stand still with a huge ship and expect the ship to take all the punishment. I can agree on the secondary shield to be rather useless, but it's useful when it comes to that little extra time for your pulse to load and your front shields to hold a little longer than normal.

If you are in trouble.. CLOAK. Get away from the fight, recuperate and come back with fire in your eyes.
    giphy.gif
  • fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    1-Bought the entire pack. Do not feel discriminated at all.

2-Has it's issues but it is in no way a bad ship. Quite the opposite, it's really good.

3-Low turn rate? Don't notice. I'm used to slow turning cruisers, so the Scimitar is fast, from my perspective.

Since I enjoy changing my game every now and then, at the moment I'm not using it because I wanted to play the D'Deridex and improve my build, but I will get back to the Scimitar, no doubt about it, to improve on it as well.
  • chris919ukchris919uk Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I used to play my Romulan all the time. I got the Scimitar 3 pack. I didn't buy it blindly, I never expected it to be an "I win" ship. Like any ship it has flaws.

Its very much how you fly the ship. Cloaked barrage to soften up the target, pop a weapon battery, decloak and finish them off. Then recloak and get out of dodge. Making sure not to use all 3 consoles is a smart move. You tend to gimp your build if you use all of them imho.

Scimitar in terms of firepower is quite overkill if built correctly, Falchion is seriously tanky at the loss of some DPS. Tulwar I never bothered to fly so I can't comment.

Playing a Romulan taught me one thing, that I didn't like most of their ships. Fleet T'varo is still a lot of fun mind you. But KDF is for me, I love my Battlecruisers. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "You have not experienced Shakespeare until you have read him in the original Klingon, taH pagh, taH be"
  • shinzonisbackshinzonisback Member Posts: 330
    edited August 2013
    Well, the consoles are pretty unusefull, I think.
    But I meant that the Scimitar isn't worth 25$ or 50$.

I fly an Ha'Feh (not the fleet version) and I love it.
    It can take a lot of damage, and deals a lot of damage.

I think that the Ha'Feh would be better than a Scimitar, and the Ha'Feh doesn't cost 25$.
    Italian Player - Forgive my bad English

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well, the consoles are pretty unusefull, I think.
    But I meant that the Scimitar isn't worth 25$ or 50$.

I fly an Ha'Feh (not the fleet version) and I love it.
    It can take a lot of damage, and deals a lot of damage.

I think that the Ha'Feh would be better than a Scimitar, and the Ha'Feh doesn't cost 25$.

Have you actually used a Scimitar?
  • talajtalaj Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    chris919uk wrote: »
    I didn't buy it blindly, I never expected it to be an "I win" ship. Like any ship it has flaws.

I think it is an "I win" ship - in PvE anyway - although I think that's really down somewhat to availability of items like the Valdore console. I don't run any of the scimitar consoles because frankly I don't need secondary shields, can face-tank pretty much anything without having to soften it up with a preliminary cloaked barrage, and although some players love popping in and out of stealth to take advantage of the damage boost, I find that in those fews seconds of them not firing, my continued damage output outweighs the bonus they get when they pop back out again. The hangar is really just the icing on the cake, especially running drone ships which are frankly overpowered. The thing is a monster, and everything else I've flown since getting my hands on it has been lackluster by comparison.

I'm actually at the point where I think I'm going to force myself only to fly it when I run the crystalline elite (easy 1st place in it) - I've been playing around with the Monbosh quite a bit, and whilst it doesn't come close to meeting the high benchmark that the scimitar has set, I've been having a lot of fun with it. The only thing that nags me is that the subspace transceiver console is pretty much junk - it's a nice idea in theory, but frankly they should have just given both Elachi ships a hangar that could only slot the control/support craft combo. Hopefully they'll take a look at it, but mine's sitting in the bank because as it stands the ship suffers for using it.
  • mustafatennickmustafatennick Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    talaj wrote: »
    I think it is an "I win" ship - in PvE anyway - although I think that's really down somewhat to availability of items like the Valdore console. I don't run any of the scimitar consoles because frankly I don't need secondary shields, can face-tank pretty much anything without having to soften it up with a preliminary cloaked barrage, and although some players love popping in and out of stealth to take advantage of the damage boost, I find that in those fews seconds of them not firing, my continued damage output outweighs the bonus they get when they pop back out again. The hangar is really just the icing on the cake, especially running drone ships which are frankly overpowered. The thing is a monster, and everything else I've flown since getting my hands on it has been lackluster by comparison.

I'm actually at the point where I think I'm going to force myself only to fly it when I run the crystalline elite (easy 1st place in it) - I've been playing around with the Monbosh quite a bit, and whilst it doesn't come close to meeting the high benchmark that the scimitar has set, I've been having a lot of fun with it. The only thing that nags me is that the subspace transceiver console is pretty much junk - it's a nice idea in theory, but frankly they should have just given both Elachi ships a hangar that could only slot the control/support craft combo. Hopefully they'll take a look at it, but mine's sitting in the bank because as it stands the ship suffers for using it.

I have to strongly disagree with you on the cloaking damage boost part

The 25% boost is to all damage not base ALL damage so I cloak wait 5 seconds then when I de cloak I get 15 seconds of 25% boost I can't see you doing that sort of damage in 5 seconds
    ----=====This is my opinion you don't have to listen and no one else has to read them these "OPINIONS" are based on my exploits and my learning other people will have their opinions and that's fine just don't knock my way of doing things thanks=====---- :cool:
  • imadude3imadude3 Member Posts: 825 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    my opinion as a tactical captain: ITS FREAKING AWSOME!
    i have all three consoles, and this is what i do.
    cloak and dagger tactic:
    enable all your offensive, de-cloak, COMPLETELY destroy your enemy in SECONDS,(also goes for dreadnought type enemies) re-cloak, repeat until no one remains.
    Maintaining peace through overwhelming firepower.
  • dknight0001dknight0001 Member Posts: 1,542
    edited August 2013
    I do love the opinion of somebody who has never experienced it and just looks at the stats.

Doesn't it turn as good as a Sovereign? And much better when your in cloak? With +turn Neutronium consoles you can boost it up to 10 out of cloak and that's enough for my DHC KDF Cruiser build.

The biggest quirk (not Quark or flaw) with the ship is the Thalaron Pulse is a 3 console bonus, and it's worth it in PVE (Especially as a big bad Scimitar) but not in PVP.
    I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001. :confused:
    If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
    When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.
  • eldritchxeldritchx Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I have to strongly disagree with you on the cloaking damage boost part

The 25% boost is to all damage not base ALL damage so I cloak wait 5 seconds then when I de cloak I get 15 seconds of 25% boost I can't see you doing that sort of damage in 5 seconds

If you do the math, 15s of a 25% boost is less than 4s of 100%, so mathematically it's impossible for you to do more damage by cloaking instead of just firing.

Scimitars don't need to run any of the consoles really. They are fun toys, but basically junk. It's definitely enjoyable to fire from cloak, use the Thalaron Pulse, etc., but don't delude yourself into thinking you're doing anything other than gimping yourself by using them. Built properly, they are incredibly tough, with massive dps. If you're blowing up a lot, you're doing something wrong. The only thing that makes them take more damage is that their large hull puts you in range of core breaches more often. Watch for that.
  • mustafatennickmustafatennick Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    eldritchx wrote: »
    If you do the math, 15s of a 25% boost is less than 4s of 100%, so mathematically it's impossible for you to do more damage by cloaking instead of just firing.

Scimitars don't need to run any of the consoles really. They are fun toys, but basically junk. It's definitely enjoyable to fire from cloak, use the Thalaron Pulse, etc., but don't delude yourself into thinking you're doing anything other than gimping yourself by using them. Built properly, they are incredibly tough, with massive dps. If you're blowing up a lot, you're doing something wrong. The only thing that makes them take more damage is that their large hull puts you in range of core breaches more often. Watch for that.

That's why it's the most deadly maneuvre in the whole of sto and why everyone and their granny uses a battle cloak

Using the boost with apa and fomm my dhcs crit for 20k so it pays to tcloak every now an again especially when apa is up off cool down
    ----=====This is my opinion you don't have to listen and no one else has to read them these "OPINIONS" are based on my exploits and my learning other people will have their opinions and that's fine just don't knock my way of doing things thanks=====---- :cool:
  • trhrangerxmltrhrangerxml Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Zero complaints about the Scimitar as is now and I take first on CEE on it regularly while tanking and DPSing the Entity at the same time. Actually switched away from DEM on my Scim and replaced it with RSP, also only using 4 instead of 5 tac consoles (with 4 front facing DHC, and Fleet Advanced Quantum) a relying on dmg from my drone ships.
    Hi, my name is: Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor

LTS, here since...when did this game launch again? :D
  • mrtsheadmrtshead Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    That's why it's the most deadly maneuvre in the whole of sto and why everyone and their granny uses a battle cloak

Using the boost with apa and fomm my dhcs crit for 20k so it pays to tcloak every now an again especially when apa is up off cool down

It's dangerous in PvP, because players depend so much on damage resistances and heals to tank - basically, in PvP, if you don't have your DPS above a certain threshold, it's functionally zero. Cloaking and decloaking, then, can provide the necessary "spike" to overcome someone's tank.

In PVE, though, NPCs don't really "tank", per se, they just rely on relatively large HP pools to live long enough to be a challenge. Thus, in PvE, it's more important to do a constant stream of damage than it is to have damage spikes to overcome resistances.

This is also why Beam Overload is good in PvP, but not as useful in PvE unless you take care to mitigate the power drain downside.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Why everyone who bought the scimitar feels discriminated ?
    I saw everywhere threads of protest against this ship.

Someone complains about the Thalaron Pulse, someone else complains about it being so squishy.

why you bought it ?
    I love the Scimitar, I started as a romulan only to get a Scimitar, but when they released it, i didn't bought it.

I knew it wasn't a good ship.
    Too squishy, too big and with low turn rate.

it is probably one of the worst ship in the game, and I knew it.
    I said it about 20 times in various threads, but no one believed me.

Funny, bought the Scimitar pack and:

1) Don't find it useless (my Romulan character still uses it.)

2) It's FAR from being one of the worst/squishiest ships in game (with a good build.)

Honestly, sounds more like a case of some players expecting/wondering: "Hey! Where's my 'I win' button?";)

[Oh, and if you didn't buy it, haven't tried it yourself - it kind of makes me wonder where your basis for complaining about it is. There's so much BAD ship info and bad assumptions on the official forums, it's often hilarious to read at times.]
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Anybody whining about cloaking doesn't understand the nature of stacking damage boosts... PvE it becomes less then stellar as the goal is maximum uptime instead of high burst windows... But in PvP where squeezing out as much damage in a tiny window as possible is the name of the game cloaking has quite an impact.

Anybody whining about the Scimitar hasn't seen one operated in the hands of a skilled Tac. There is nothing easy mode about the ship, but the ones out there that actually know how to play can make that bird sing...
    I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Only thing I don't like about the Scimitar is that if you're flying alongside it and you're not running your own DPS ship there isn't anything for you to do. Its boring and un-fun how good that thing is.
  • oschwoschw Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Thanks for telling me how i feel o_O

but jokes aside, i am happy with mine, its a cool ship, nice look, i love it.
  • drzzdendrzzden Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm considering buying the pack and loading the Fore Weapons with either Plasma or Disruptor Dual Heavy Cannons XII (Rare). I'm an Engineering Officer but still learning as well so i'd have to find some good consoles and other attachments. What would be a good Engineering Build for it.
  • topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Have you actually used a Scimitar?

:eek: :confused: :eek:

What is going on in this thread. Are people seriously calling Scimitars underpowered and junky?

LOL.

Nice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • annahannah Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Quite like my beamboat scimitar :)
    Very fun to fly, the only complaint i have with it is the inertia.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The only problem I have with the Scimitar pack is that hull/shields sometimes get dropped ridiculously quick.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Only thing I don't like about the Scimitar is that if you're flying alongside it and you're not running your own DPS ship there isn't anything for you to do. Its boring and un-fun how good that thing is.

This post... XD. Made my afternoon. I am inclined to agree. I often don't even bother to do anything anymore if I see a Tac Scimitar in an ESTF. I just sit back, shoot at things, and watch as it mows TRIBBLE down like nothing.
    annah wrote: »
    Quite like my beamboat scimitar :)
    Very fun to fly, the only complaint i have with it is the inertia.

Been dying to try a beam Scimitar, but haven't gotten around to it yet (Romulan BOFFs are still stupidly expensive), and I agree completely. That inertia... I keep on overshooting EVERYTHING. It's worse even then my Odyssey... -.-

Everything else, GOLD.
    The only problem I have with the Scimitar pack is that hull/shields sometimes get dropped ridiculously quick.

Yeah, still having this issue occasionally, but I am starting to realize it's as a result of everything and it's mother shooting at me. Oh wells XD.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • eldritchxeldritchx Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Reading comprehension ftw. You battle cloak when you aren't in position to continue firing on your main target(s). No one is saying you shouldn't battle cloak at all. The point is this: if you still have good targets when your ambush buff wears off, cloaking for 4s to get the buff again will net you less overall dps than the dps you will 'lose' for not having the buff for the next 15s.

Put another way: if you're firing continuously at some fat target, like a gateway, taking the time to interrupt your firing to battle cloak and get the ambush buff again will yield a net loss of dps.
  • coldicephoenixcoldicephoenix Member Posts: 344 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I have the tac scimitar.. Its a beast... Its also the ship I rarely see the respawn timer on.
    And yea I use, DHCs and one DBB. After flying the bortasque on my KDF tac, this ship actually feels very nimble. I dont pvp, but in pve, this thing does credit to the original from the movie.

We still live!!!!! Hahahahahahahahaa! We live and we will conquer!!!!! Hahahahahaaha!

-Roach, when asked about Klingon extinction!
  • airtran9906airtran9906 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I don't know about you but I love my ship. It's been one of the best I've had thus far.

http://gateway.startrekonline.com/#char%28Guardian%20of%20Vatallus@airtran9906%29/ship-equipment
  • phaserfredphaserfred Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I don't know about you but I love my ship. It's been one of the best I've had thus far.

http://gateway.startrekonline.com/#char%28Guardian%20of%20Vatallus@airtran9906%29/ship-equipment

A mine launcher and beams...sorry, you lost all credibility with me.
    edited August 2013
    phaserfred wrote: »
    A mine launcher and beams...sorry, you lost all credibility with me.

Everyone is quick to discredit the tractor mine launcher but after having been on the receiving end of it multiple times I soon learned its effectiveness.

You are more than welcome to challenge me to a duel.
  • hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Your entire build... I... I... You really should rethink it...

And yeah, I agree, you just lost all credibility. Period. Probably permanently... In all honesty... yeah, I feel your scimitar is more an insult to the ship than proof it's good...
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • teufeldritchteufeldritch Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If it works for them.. *shrug*
    edited August 2013
    Your entire build... I... I... You really should rethink it...

And yeah, I agree, you just lost all credibility. Period. Probably permanently... In all honesty... yeah, I feel your scimitar is more an insult to the ship than proof it's good...

It's a good thing I live to impress people online and be credible with them.

But that's fine feel how you want. I've dumped enough money into the game at this point to warrant playing it how I want.

I have something that works very well for me in PVE and for me that's just fine. But I'm glad you're so much better than me. ;)