Install Arc
Options

Downloading Arc

1141516171820»

Comments

• Options
    theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This is in reference to those who have no issue with Arc. I simply don't want to quote everything and address it all point by point so I'll illustrate in the following manner:

I'm assuming you have read through this and other Arc threads, mind you.

Many of us have raised questions and concerns about Arc to which we received no reply until a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) was posted. The FAQ was little more than a poorly disguised reiteration of the initial marketing gibberish. In fact, it was more like a Frequently Unasked Questions - Underhanded. I'm certain that you can work that initialism out for yourselves, but that is what we seem to have been given.

As such we have to ask if there is nothing to hide then why is it being hidden with such intrepidity?
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I went out on a limb and actually tried it and it ended up being another ounce of faith into cryptic/pwe that reminded me of the bad experiences I've had. As well once in awhile when I log into the website it will attempt to force me to download arc as well.

I'm pretty sure there are many that can agree that they wouldn't play sto anymore if it came to being mandatory. That being said most likely we will get a message in the forums saying due to overwhelming request from the community that it will be mandatory and then they will see the overwhelming drop in playing and profits with their game STO.
  • Options
    section31agent#8506 section31agent Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Okay let me see if I have this correct....

I am supposed to trust that ARC will keep my credit card and user information login and password safe. This comes on the heels of the ZEN debacle where PWE/Cryptic withheld ZEN for no apparent reason and could not produce any record of when I supposedly recieved triple payments. Neither could they produce any tangible evidence like what I would have spent the imaginary zen on like a specific ship [which is what I would have bought]. Furthermore that follows the 2010 incident where Cryptic was TRIBBLE and had users information ready and available to the hacker(s). So exactly what safeguards do they have in place now that they didn't before? What is PWE/Cryptic going to do to stop 15yr old Johnny Hacker from accessing my credit card and spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars on virtual trinkets? Answer.... NOTHING

Truth is they are hoping that I will branch out into another PWE game which will NEVER happen. They hope that if they bombard me with advertisements that this will change my mind. I don't need another piece of spyware on my PC.

Because of the 2010 incident I have grown very wary of who has access to my information. I do take as many precautionary steps as I can through my bank and my security software and services like Lifelock. I would like to think that PWE/Cryptic cared enough about thier customers to impliment a type of security measure on par with Pay-Pal so we could have some recourse against them. As it stands now you stop a illegal transaction and you get banned autopmatically. No investigation just banned.... Yep another fine example of the lack of customer service which by the way should be available 24/7 since this is a international game.

So my two cents... don't trust them unless you like sleeping with your windows open and your doors unlocked at night and you leave your car keys in the ignition. It is only a matter of time before they are compromised again. Then you can be like my fleetmate who got a call from his bank about someone in Dublin Ireland buying a Rolex on his credit card while he was at work here in the USA. Funny thing is that credit card had only been used because STO required it. Otherwise my fleetmate uses cash only. Now if he wants Zen he buys it on prepaid cards.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    arnthebard wrote: »
    What is PWE/Cryptic going to do to stop 15yr old Johnny Hacker from accessing my credit card and spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars on virtual trinkets?

Only thing 15yr old Johnny Hacker will have to do, is start up your computer, and play (and pay!) with your STO account: courtesy of Arc logging you in automagically.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    thestormsongthestormsong Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I neither want nor need this piece of software. It will in no way improve my gaming experience. Please make sure that we have the option of continuing to use the current launcher and opt-out of Arc, thank you.

Joined in March, 2011. Lifer since December, 2011.
This discussion has been closed.